Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Best internal routing tool (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1228377-best-internal-routing-tool.html)

Greatestalltime 04-16-21 09:12 AM

Best internal routing tool
 
Which is it? Park, Icetoolz, Jagwire or some other?

Jagwire has no long cables. Is that good or bad?

Thanks

cxwrench 04-16-21 09:23 AM

I've been using the Park since it came out. Works well enough most of the time, really well sometimes. Haven't tried any others.

noodle soup 04-16-21 11:01 AM

the Icetoolz one doesn't include the cable used to route cables w/o housings, but otherwise should work as well as the Park kit.

79pmooney 04-16-21 11:21 AM

Great headline! I just had a colonoscopy yesterday. Sadly, I didn't ask what brand routing equipment they used. Edit: It incorporated a good light and camera.

Greatestalltime 04-16-21 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 22017627)
the Icetoolz one doesn't include the cable used to route cables w/o housings, but otherwise should work as well as the Park kit.

Which as a roadie I need, right? Donít most people not use the housing in the frame?

Atlas Shrugged 04-16-21 01:15 PM

Aliexpress has them super cheap and works great.

noodle soup 04-16-21 01:28 PM


Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged (Post 22017829)
Aliexpress has them super cheap and works great.

If you have time to wait for the tool to arrive, Aliexpress is great for tools like this, that won't see heavy use.

WhyFi 04-16-21 01:31 PM

How many frames do you need to route? If you're doing this for a living, cool, buy the best tools that you can justify. If you're just routing one frame, try some dental floss, a tiny washer and a strong magnet, first.

noodle soup 04-16-21 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22017852)
How many frames do you need to route? If you're doing this for a living, cool, buy the best tools that you can justify. If you're just routing one frame, try some dental floss, a tiny washer and a strong magnet, first.

+1

If you only need the tool once, I'd try the different tricks that occasionally work.

rm -rf 04-16-21 09:56 PM

Running replacement cables
Many years ago, I posted how to pull a replacement brake cable by sliding thin tubing over the existing cable before removing it. That becomes a guide for the new cable. It's cheap and easy.
It should be good for shifter cables too. This wouldn't work with Di2 cables that have permanent connectors.

From 2014! replacing internal cables
And the linked video is still working.

Cyclist0108 04-16-21 10:06 PM

Shop vac and dental floss. Use mint-flavored ribbon.

Kimmo 04-16-21 11:38 PM


Originally Posted by rm -rf (Post 22018514)
Running replacement cables
Many years ago, I posted how to pull a replacement brake cable by sliding thin tubing over the existing cable before removing it. That becomes a guide for the new cable. It's cheap and easy.
It should be good for shifter cables too. This wouldn't work with Di2 cables that have permanent connectors.

From 2014! replacing internal cables
And the linked video is still working.

Yeah, this. For Di2 and EPS cables, you can get a gear cable and put a bit of heatshrink on the end and make it fit tightly on the plug.

Greatestalltime 04-17-21 04:29 AM

Normally Iím often making do with less than perfect tools, but now Iím older (47) and Iíd like the perfect tool for each job as I no longer want to go to any bike shop.

I bought a wheels bearing press and park tool BB remover. I will likely use them two or three times ever? Maybe a few more. Who knows. I have 3 bikes plus my wifeís so maybe 5 times.

I think Iíve settled on the icetoolz over the Jagwire and cheaper Chinese versions of the ice and park version.

Yeah. Iíll likely not need it much, but I donít need anymore frustrating and Iím pretty sure I like ďwastingĒ a little money on my bikes and tools.

GlennR 04-17-21 05:33 AM

"Best internal routing tool"

Sram eTap HRD... no cabled ;)

Greatestalltime 04-17-21 06:03 AM


Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 22018668)
"Best internal routing tool"

Sram eTap HRD... no cabled ;)

Brakes too??


I need them!

WhyFi 04-17-21 06:51 AM


Originally Posted by Greatestalltime (Post 22018643)
Normally Iím often making do with less than perfect tools, but now Iím older (47) and Iíd like the perfect tool for each job as I no longer want to go to any bike shop.

I bought a wheels bearing press and park tool BB remover. I will likely use them two or three times ever? Maybe a few more. Who knows. I have 3 bikes plus my wifeís so maybe 5 times.

I think Iíve settled on the icetoolz over the Jagwire and cheaper Chinese versions of the ice and park version.

Yeah. Iíll likely not need it much, but I donít need anymore frustrating and Iím pretty sure I like ďwastingĒ a little money on my bikes and tools.

Cool - nice tools are awesome, as long as they're not taking food off of your table a power meter out of your shopping cart or something like that. :p

Greatestalltime 04-17-21 07:09 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22018721)
Cool - nice tools are awesome, as long as they're not taking food off of your table a power meter out of your shopping cart or something like that. :p

Quote of the day!!

GlennR 04-17-21 07:55 AM


Originally Posted by Greatestalltime (Post 22018684)
Brakes too??


I need them!

Brakes are hydraulic.

deacon mark 04-17-21 11:20 AM

I have a piece of tubing I run through the frame with the current cable. Then I pull the cable out and the tubing remains and I thread the new cable in the tubing. Then run the housing it is easy and I don't need anything they offer as a tool to do this job. My favorite though is my regular Ti bike that has exposed cables and I just change them in a flash and much to be said for the old way. Once you have the system down for what your bike requires it is at least doable and no need for anything special you cannot make yourself, and no need to see the LBS.

WhyFi 04-17-21 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by deacon mark (Post 22019041)
I have a piece of tubing I run through the frame with the current cable. Then I pull the cable out and the tubing remains and I thread the new cable in the tubing. Then run the housing it is easy and I don't need anything they offer as a tool to do this job. My favorite though is my regular Ti bike that has exposed cables and I just change them in a flash and much to be said for the old way. Once you have the system down for what your bike requires it is at least doable and no need for anything special you cannot make yourself, and no need to see the LBS.

Yeah, once something is routed, it's easy to fish subsequent wire/cables/hoses/guides through - just don't be a dummy and yank something out without thinking ahead - but I assume that were were coving the starting-from-scratch scenario, which requires tools and/or ingenuity to avoid frustration.

deacon mark 04-17-21 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22019056)
Yeah, once something is routed, it's easy to fish subsequent wire/cables/hoses/guides through - just don't be a dummy and yank something out without thinking ahead - but I assume that were were coving the starting-from-scratch scenario, which requires tools and/or ingenuity to avoid frustration.

\
Actually for me that is not all the difficult either but I assume that can be bike specific. In my case I repair guitars for a living and they are 100 times more difficult to work on that bikes, so I have guitar strings I use to thread a bare frame. A guitar string of .22 gauge wire will poke in a straight line and generally go through the frame. Once I have that in I am good to go since it now is like any other cable. The guitar string even bigger gauges work well as they don't deform and bend like cables, or as much. Really it is bike specific to get a plan but the tool I assume is useful and depending on your needs buy one. I made my dish tool also but if you do a lot of wheels the park is nice.

RandomDesign 04-17-21 01:17 PM

I got the Park tool cable puller for my Di2 rebuild and a bike build I'm doing for my wife. It made the cable pulling super fast and easy so I was satisfied with spending the money on it. I'm sure there were cheaper or diy options out there but I've been happy with my other Park tools and it was readily available on Amazon with next day delivery for me along with a few other things I needed for my build.

Kimmo 04-17-21 05:49 PM

If you think about it, starting from scratch shouldn't happen. Even on a brand new frameset, you should be getting it with sleeves in there, and if somebody's stripped it, they'd either be a dingbat or a scumbag to not at least run string or something when removing the cables.

If I'm buying an internally routed frame, I'd be checking that and negotiating accordingly. It's not the quarter hour's labour, but the cost of the damn tool you shouldn't need.

Not that I'd buy it rather than spend half an hour without it, but you know, it's the principle.

veganbikes 04-17-21 09:12 PM

I have the original park IR.1 kit and it works just fine, the new one is a bit nicer with the Di2 routing stuff but my Di2 bike is already routed and if we had something at the shop I would probably leave it to one of the mechanics or just use one of their tools if I had to do the wrenching.

The Jagwire tool looks fine but I think the Park one is the best and probably the most useful out of all the ones I have seen.

Lazyass 04-18-21 03:27 AM

I bend the tip of the cable at an angle, about the last inch. Then I slide it through the frame and twist the cable when the tip is near the hole. It finds the opening pretty quickly on my bikes. But I personally do not like internal routing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.