Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 owners: Checking battery percentage and charge?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 owners: Checking battery percentage and charge?

Old 04-26-21, 01:37 AM
  #26  
Ataylor
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
Donít. Your questions were remarkably different (in substance and expectation) than asking about a 30+ pound bike with garbage components looking for affirmation from a bunch of folks whoíve been riding quality bikes for years. D-Fly is NOT a requirement to have Di2, it can enhance the experience, but it isnít necessary. Thatís my opinions.

As for what gear youíre in, I donít look or care either. I can tell by feel when I am outside my normal cadence range, and I know how to shift the gears to get there based on the salutation (wind, hills up or down, etc.). Itís a ďnice to haveĒ, but definitely not necessary for even a moderately experienced rider.
Thanks for understanding and for sharing your view. And yea', I agree. It can definitely enhance a ride. Guess it just boils down to what you have and what you want.

Originally Posted by silverado8405 View Post
I find knowing what gear Iím in to be incredibly helpful for going up hills. I have some around me that I know I can do in the big ring and some that need the small ring. Then thereís the times that I forget to pay attention and have to make a decision, do I shift up and get to where I need to be or is there too many jumps and I dump the front to the little ring and keep going. The last case is when Iím going down hill and start to think Iím superman and spinning out the hardest gear only to realize I have a couple more downshifts to go and Iím not going to win the Tour De France thanks to my absolutely awesome power output.

in short, no itís not needed but there are cases where it may be useful to know some of that information.
Got it. Thank you.
Ataylor is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 06:23 AM
  #27  
oldwinger14
Senior Member
 
oldwinger14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 163

Bikes: 2020 Cannondale Synapse 105, Mavic Ksyrium Elites

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
On a somewhat related topic, my bike is currently in the shop being upgraded to Ultegra Di2 and I have been doing online reading and watching YouTube videos about Di2 and how to use it.

Yesterday, I read an article that mentioned the eTube app and its capabilities. The app sounded like a great tool that I would use, but many reviews for eTube in the Google Play Store were negative and discussed issues such as the app being unable to connect with Di2, the app crashing and other major issues.

Are those negative comments legit, or is it a situation where a small percentage of people who have experienced issues are writing negative reviews while the vast majority of eTube users are happy with the app?
oldwinger14 is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 AM
  #28  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14 View Post
On a somewhat related topic, my bike is currently in the shop being upgraded to Ultegra Di2 and I have been doing online reading and watching YouTube videos about Di2 and how to use it.

Yesterday, I read an article that mentioned the eTube app and its capabilities. The app sounded like a great tool that I would use, but many reviews for eTube in the Google Play Store were negative and discussed issues such as the app being unable to connect with Di2, the app crashing and other major issues.

Are those negative comments legit, or is it a situation where a small percentage of people who have experienced issues are writing negative reviews while the vast majority of eTube users are happy with the app?
On iOS, no. The one time I had an issue, it was due to the wireless in my house deciding to conk out as I was upgrading firmware, and it "bricked" the battery module. Fortunately, because I have more than a couple bikes with Di2, I also chose to own a SM-PCE1 PC linkage device, and in about 20 minutes after running over to a buddy's house to get a PC, I had the system fully functional. If I had not had that option, I would have had to go to a bike shop to get it reset. But, that was one time over the last 3 years using the EW-WU111 in conjunction with the eTube app to program my bikes. The app is far more stable (on iOS) today than it was several years ago...I see no reason why it isn't the same for Androids.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 09:14 AM
  #29  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
On iOS, no. The one time I had an issue, it was due to the wireless in my house deciding to conk out as I was upgrading firmware, and it "bricked" the battery module. Fortunately, because I have more than a couple bikes with Di2, I also chose to own a SM-PCE1 PC linkage device, and in about 20 minutes after running over to a buddy's house to get a PC, I had the system fully functional. If I had not had that option, I would have had to go to a bike shop to get it reset. But, that was one time over the last 3 years using the EW-WU111 in conjunction with the eTube app to program my bikes. The app is far more stable (on iOS) today than it was several years ago...I see no reason why it isn't the same for Androids.
I've seen advice to not even bother trying to update the bike's software over bt, with any phone- it just doesn't work well. Occasionally, when my Di2 bike is in the shop for something else, I'll just ask them to do the update - since I don't want to bother hooking up a pc to the bike.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-21, 11:45 AM
  #30  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Koyote I don’t even own a PC...but I bricked a bike last winter, and with COVID restrictions here in Belgium, I couldn’t get into a bike shop for 3 or 4 weeks, so I bought the PC link device and borrowed a work colleague’s PC. Worked like a charm. I agree, I won’t bother with another attempt to do BT updates, now. But, I can dang sure do all sorts fo cool things....namely recover bricked Di2 now!
Badger6 is offline  
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-26-21, 04:56 PM
  #31  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 204 Posts
I have used the app multiple times to update both my Di2 bikes and have never had a problem. Might be one of those,Ē It is not a problem till it is
colnago62 is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 06:15 PM
  #32  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor View Post
Gotcha! Thanks again for your help. It's good to have even a vague idea of how many more shifts would remain. I'll be on the rm -rf wave, though, and will charge before it turns red, so hopefully it'll never get to that point.
I do try to keep the battery at 50% or more. But sometimes I just don't check often enough. It's easier to remember if it's something to be done every ride. Remembering once every week or two is harder.

I once did a whole ride trying to conserve shifting. I think the display was blinking red at the start of the 50 miles? In any case, I didn't think it was enough to finish on that old battery. (But blinking red was probably okay for one ride.)
That was an "interesting" ride, where I was grinding in a low gear, or spinning to avoid another shift, even to the point of spinning up on the flats, coasting, and repeating. Not optimal.

Someone posted a list of Di2 "tips and tricks", some were quite good.
But one was for a dead battery: unplug your rear derailler, get your buddy with Di2 to unplug their rear cable, and temporarily plug into yours, then shift to a middle cog to have something reasonable for the rest of the ride. Heh. Yeah it could work.
rm -rf is offline  
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-26-21, 10:55 PM
  #33  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
But one was for a dead battery: unplug your rear derailler, get your buddy with Di2 to unplug their rear cable, and temporarily plug into yours, then shift to a middle cog to have something reasonable for the rest of the ride. Heh. Yeah it could work.
I've seen it done.
Badger6 is offline  
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-26-21, 10:57 PM
  #34  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
I have used the app multiple times to update both my Di2 bikes and have never had a problem. Might be one of those,Ē It is not a problem till it is
Exactly. And when it fails, the system is D-E-D, dead. And, the normal charger won't bring it back, you need the fancy PC Link Device, which most shops should have. The recovery takes about 3 minutes, and of course your time to take bike to the shop and whether they will fit you right in or it gets to spend a few nights there...
Badger6 is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 03:46 AM
  #35  
Ataylor
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
I do try to keep the battery at 50% or more. But sometimes I just don't check often enough. It's easier to remember if it's something to be done every ride. Remembering once every week or two is harder.
Yea', I can imagine. If I see myself not being mindful of that, I'll just set a weekly alarm in my phone to check the battery and take it from there, I guess.

Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
I once did a whole ride trying to conserve shifting. I think the display was blinking red at the start of the 50 miles? In any case, I didn't think it was enough to finish on that old battery. (But blinking red was probably okay for one ride.)
That was an "interesting" ride, where I was grinding in a low gear, or spinning to avoid another shift, even to the point of spinning up on the flats, coasting, and repeating. Not optimal.
Sheesh. One non-essential piece that I'd totally jump on board for would be a wireless Shimano charger of some kind. Would be neat if they came up with something like a charger that could perhaps be incorporated into a bike stand or something like that? A sensor for the stand that's constantly plugged in and a sensor on the bike that's somehow connected to the battery. Basically a design where you could just back your wheel into the slot and it would start charging automatically. No need to fuss around plugging anything in or even remembering to charge. Do what you normally do after each ride and you'd have a battery at 100% at all times. Not a tech guy by any means, so this may be senseless to some degree, but I think it would be really cool to have something like that if it were possible.

Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
Someone posted a list of Di2 "tips and tricks", some were quite good.
But one was for a dead battery: unplug your rear derailler, get your buddy with Di2 to unplug their rear cable, and temporarily plug into yours, then shift to a middle cog to have something reasonable for the rest of the ride. Heh. Yeah it could work.
Pretty sure I saw the guys on GCN do that. I agree. It's a really great tip.
Ataylor is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:00 AM
  #36  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
The Campagnolo electronic derailleur can be "unlatched" when dead, and moved to a different gear. By pulling on the derailleur body, I think? A nice design. I've never seen one around here.
rm -rf is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:27 AM
  #37  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,173

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 343 Posts
I've never had an issue with the IOS e-Tube app and have updated the Di2 Firmware several times. I have also used the maintenance function to dial in the indexing with no issues.

Re: Di2 battery not being reliable over BT. Yes I have heard that too, but your computer most likely connects to your bike via ANT not BT so the battery indication should be good.

To the OP....ask yourself this: If there was a small digital battery indicator that told you the % charge that was easy to install in-line anywhere you wanted...would you do it? If so installing the EW-WU111 is no different, you just get a whole lot more capability over battery level.
jadocs is offline  
Likes For jadocs:
Old 04-28-21, 10:52 AM
  #38  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 665

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 129 Posts
As a gadget lover, I have to admit that I once thought I would get some kicks out of this "peripheral Di2 gear." Glad I saved my money. Over 6 years of riding, I don't think I've ever had reason to use any of it. I charge my battery when the FD stops shifting, never had a problem getting home without it. I get about 450 miles out of a charge so I don't need to check the battery much at all. The rig has never lost its indexing or given me a single problem (yeah, don't tempt the gods...). My highest complement: I don't have to think about it; it just works.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 11:08 AM
  #39  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
450 miles? It sounds like your battery is nearing the end of its usable life. 6 years is good use, though!
Badger6 is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 07:07 PM
  #40  
Ataylor
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
To the OP....ask yourself this: If there was a small digital battery indicator that told you the % charge that was easy to install in-line anywhere you wanted...would you do it?
I would, yes. Not for a hundred dollars, though. I don't think the battery percentage reading (which is all I wanted from the unit) is worth that much. I have the shifters, which are good enough.

I guess my thing from the beginning was hoping that I could find something that could give me that reading for free. I thought that maybe it was a part of the E-TUBE program or perhaps there was a free app or something out there that could give me that reading. It's just one those things where it would be cool to have, but not having it is totally fine as well. If the shifters or program didn't include the option, that would be a totally different story, obviously. As is, not really a huge deal either way for me.

Last edited by Ataylor; 04-28-21 at 07:11 PM.
Ataylor is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 11:02 AM
  #41  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 665

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
450 miles? It sounds like your battery is nearing the end of its usable life. 6 years is good use, though!
I'm a shift-o-phile. Always managing back into that 85-90 cadence. I'm wondering if, at some point soon, this "retro" battery will be hard to replace...should probably start looking into that.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 11:25 AM
  #42  
Riveting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 903

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 132 Posts
I have about 17k miles on my Ultegra Di2, and never once wondered what the exact charge level was. I typically charge it after ~1,000 miles, or if the flashing green light occurs when holding in a shifter button. Though I have been negligent and let the battery run flat twice in the past year, turning the bike into a single speed, which really sucks in a hilly area.
Riveting is offline  
Old 04-30-21, 04:20 PM
  #43  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
Exactly. And when it fails, the system is D-E-D, dead. And, the normal charger won't bring it back, you need the fancy PC Link Device, which most shops should have. The recovery takes about 3 minutes, and of course your time to take bike to the shop and whether they will fit you right in or it gets to spend a few nights there...
This popped up a week ago on GP Lamaís Channel.

colnago62 is offline  
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-01-21, 03:09 AM
  #44  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Interesting...and greta to know!

Now that I think about it, the two times I had a dead system it was the battery update failing, and thus, as GP said, it required a hard wired fix.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 03:30 PM
  #45  
GaryZim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime View Post
Yours displays the ratio? My wahoo only displays what gear on a bar graph looking display. Unless I donít know how to make it do that.

That would be nice to see the ratio.
You need to go into the Element App and add the other field. It can show you both!
GaryZim is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 03:50 AM
  #46  
waters60
Senior Member
 
waters60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
It seems that if we have an electronic shifter on our bikes we have already crossed the frontier. Three days ago my Bolt told me my Di2 battery was low. Yesterday it reminded me again so I charged it. Canít get much easier than that.
waters60 is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 08:14 AM
  #47  
GaryZim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60 View Post
It seems that if we have an electronic shifter on our bikes we have already crossed the frontier. Three days ago my Bolt told me my Di2 battery was low. Yesterday it reminded me again so I charged it. Canít get much easier than that.
Your Chevy Bolt reminded you to charge your bike?? very cool
GaryZim is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.