Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Old 05-05-21, 12:28 AM
  #1  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Presumably, at some point this year, i am going to get a crash replacement Venge from Specialized. But now i got ants in my pants about my second frame - it is currently a Factor LS, which is a very balanced ride and does everything well, but isnt the most exciting of rides: i do miss the amazing ride quality of the R5 (which i now regret selling). And since i was ill last month (not Covid) and seem to have lost about 30W of FTP, i think a new bike is exactly what the doctor ordered.

So i was thinking of replacing the Factor with a different frame - not gonna race it (that's what the Venge is for), but use it for group ride, riding weekends with friends, etc. So here, more than aero, i want a bike that is going to put a big smile on my face in terms of BB stiffness and acceleration. To be specific, I want a bike that lunges forward the moment you drope the hamar, without any apparent flex in the BB. Ability to take tires up to 30-32c is also a plus.

Some candidates:
- Another R5 is an option, but the new one may not launch till 2022
- Aethos gets really good reviews, but i already have 2 Speshs (the Venge and a Shiv).
- Colnago C64 - this is on my list: amazing history, everyone who rides it seems to love it, but i wonder to what degree that is confirmation bias. Still, this is my leading candidate, but would love to get opinions from others.

Not considering Scott (they dont do much for me), Trek (see Scott), Factor (dont have anything that sings to me). Also no steel and no titanium.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 07:47 AM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,952

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19462 Post(s)
Liked 8,005 Times in 4,041 Posts
Oooooh - a refreshed R5 with the tucked cockpit that they've put on the Cal 5 and new Aspero would be awesome.

... but waiting that long would not be awesome.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-05-21, 10:20 AM
  #3  
primov8 
V8s all day
 
primov8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NY.NY.
Posts: 1,003

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, SBC 6061

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Not that Im looking 😗 but a Ridley Noah Fast or the new Storck Aerfast3 would be what Id consider.

Only thing is the Ridley tire clearance is 28mm and the Aerfast3 delivery date is late July-early August.
primov8 is offline  
Likes For primov8:
Old 05-05-21, 11:59 AM
  #4  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Oooooh - a refreshed R5 with the tucked cockpit that they've put on the Cal 5 and new Aspero would be awesome.
... but waiting that long would not be awesome.
Yeah, seriously.... i dont NEED this bike, especially as i am gonna be on the TT bike for most of the next 3.5 months, training for IM Kazakhstan. But i have an event coming up which warrants celebration, and i figured a nice watch and a nice bike would be the perfect combo. This is definitely a "want not need", so that makes waiting that much harder

The R5 was a great bike, but something about a Colnago C64 just sings to me - if the ride quality is what it is made out to be, this would be the top of my list. Well, that and the Aethos: everything i read about it sounds like it might also work very well. Plus it is cheaper than the C64 (always a good thing).

Of course, it likely will be 2022 before i get a freaking groupset... so there is that as well.

Originally Posted by primov8 View Post
Not that I’m looking 😗 but a Ridley Noah Fast or the new Storck Aerfast3 would be what I’d consider.
Only thing is the Ridley tire clearance is 28mm and the Aerfast3 delivery date is late July-early August.
The Ridley Noah Fast definitely looks awesome - but i have a Venge (or rather, I will have a Venge, as soon as Spesh gets around to finding a crash replacement frame for me), so am not fussed about aero on this bike, Focus is entirely on ride characteristics and pride of ownership - something that puts a big grin on my face.

The C64 is also 2-4 months waitlist, so i am resigned to a long wait. My local shop has a Factor O2 available immediately, but i am not sure how it rides, relative to the O2 VAM. Have emailed Factor, lets see what they say.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-05-21 at 12:55 PM.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 02:06 PM
  #5  
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,137

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
What about an Aurum? I have no first hand experience, but the reviews have been good and I think it looks gorgeous. I want to live vicariously through someone as I won't be getting a new high end bike for quite some time.

Lower tier than what you are looking at, but my 2021 Pinarello Prince makes me smile in a way no bike ever has. That said, the only other high end bike I've purchased was an Orbea Onyx 14 years ago, and that was one rung under the Orca of the time.

But... from your list I've lusted after Colnagos for a long time. The Mapei era C-40 was a dream bike for a long time. The C-64 would be amazing.

edit to add: I was away from this place for more than a decade before returning last fall. It does my heart good to see a drope the hamer reference.
ericcox is offline  
Likes For ericcox:
Old 05-05-21, 03:12 PM
  #6  
sjammer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 75

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
I ride an Aethos and really like it. I have no problems with comfort on 2+ hour rides. The bike is very responsive and handles nice. Depending on which frame set you go with, S-Works or standard, and what you are putting on the frame it will be a lite weight bike. Can not speak to any of the other bikes, but the C64 does look nice.
sjammer is offline  
Likes For sjammer:
Old 05-05-21, 04:08 PM
  #7  
aplcr0331
disgwyl marwolaeth boenus
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 741

Bikes: Black Road Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 125 Posts
Answer:

Carbon Colored: Steel

/thread
aplcr0331 is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 04:10 PM
  #8  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,799

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 500 Posts
Take a look at Enve....
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-05-21, 06:14 PM
  #9  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 1,429

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 408 Posts
I really like my SuperSix Evo, I make pretty good power and can't detect any flex, def feels like every bit of power is going straight to the ground. It also climbs well, and has some aero touches so it holds speed really well for an all around/climbing bike. I've had 32mm GP5Ks on it that measured out to 34mm on wide rims with plenty of clearance. Did a seven hour, 123 mile ride with almost 9,000ft of climbing, and it was comfortable and fast, ride and handling are fantastic. Not as flashy as some of the bikes mentioned, but a really great everyday bike, imo.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-05-21, 09:32 PM
  #10  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,710
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17104 Post(s)
Liked 9,021 Times in 5,064 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Oooooh - a refreshed R5 with the tucked cockpit that they've put on the Cal 5 and new Aspero would be awesome.

... but waiting that long would not be awesome.
I love the way Cervelos ride. About half of my road bones as an adult have been Cervelos, from one of their first ones, an alloy monstrosity I bought used, to a modern one with discs. This would of course be my first choice, an R5 is a no brainer. None of these are bad choices and you can't really go wrong, but an R5 is guaranteed happiness.

I'd be seriously interested in the Enve custom option too.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 09:42 PM
  #11  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 11,812

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3155 Post(s)
Liked 2,678 Times in 1,363 Posts
Did I read "No Ti"??? Find a builder, so many.

here you go. just scroll down the main page.
DeSalvo Custom Bicycles (desalvocycles.com)
Wildwood is online now  
Old 05-05-21, 10:49 PM
  #12  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox View Post
What about an Aurum? I have no first hand experience, but the reviews have been good and I think it looks gorgeous. I want to live vicariously through someone as I won't be getting a new high end bike for quite some time.

edit to add: I was away from this place for more than a decade before returning last fall. It does my heart good to see a drope the hamer reference.
The Aurum would certainly be an option if i can read some reviews of it - Contador was/is one of my favorite riders. That said, i am a little bit hesitant to go that route, mainly because I feel (rightly or wrongly) that brands like Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Colnago all have in-house expertise in design and manufacturing: does Aurum have the same? I have no doubts that Contador has the expertise to evaluate the characteristics of the bike so that it is fun when you are slamdancing on the pedals (welcome back!), but i am not sure whether the manufacturer can match that.

With Colnago, in addition to the ride quality, there is also the uniqueness of the frame and the fact that Ernesto himself blessed the carbon with his tears before sending the frame to me. With Aethos, there is Spesh's impressive R&D. Those things set these bikes apart from, say, a Giant TCR - which is, by all accounts, a lovely bike to ride, but just lacking that little extra, ya know?

Rides4Beer Lemme check out the Super6. I generally have stopped looking at Cannondale because their color schemes leave me meh. That said, everyone who has them seems to love them, so maybe worth giving them another look.

jaxgtr - oh yes, Enve! I hadnt thought of them. I will check that out as well.

aplcr0331 Wildwood yeah, no Ti or steel. I have a custom lugged steel bike and i find the ride dull. Same with Ti - the bike was certainly fast, but something about the ride quality also felt boring.
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-05-21, 10:50 PM
  #13  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sjammer View Post
I ride an Aethos and really like it. I have no problems with comfort on 2+ hour rides. The bike is very responsive and handles nice. Depending on which frame set you go with, S-Works or standard, and what you are putting on the frame it will be a lite weight bike. Can not speak to any of the other bikes, but the C64 does look nice.
Can you comment a bit on the stiffness of the BB, as well as responsiveness when you get off the saddle and jump?
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 11:11 PM
  #14  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 1,171

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 320 Posts
What is the Venge frame being replaced with?

I rode an Aethos a few weeks back, I don't own one, so I have exactly one ride that lasted about an hour. I didn't find it particularly different than my SL7, though it "felt" a bit lighter, when maneuvering. My guess is that it was in my head, because the tubes are noticeably smaller than my SL7. It is plenty stiff, and responded well to power input. I do't know about "jump," but it didn't feel flexy at all. In fact, it didn't feel different from my SL7 in any remarkable way.

If they replace the Venge with an SL7 frame (a big upgrade if you can get Spesh to do it)....have you considered getting something a bit different, like a Roubaix? Not sure what the road surfaces are like where you are, but honestly, for me, it would be a perfect second road bike for the rougher roads (cobbles, light gravel, busted pavement)
Badger6 is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 11:15 PM
  #15  
sjammer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 75

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Can you comment a bit on the stiffness of the BB, as well as responsiveness when you get off the saddle and jump?
When I get out of the saddle and crank it up the bike feels solid. I feel that I am getting everything out of the bike that I put in, if that makes sense. I have never owned any other road bikes, just mountain bikes so I have nothing really to compare it to. I would definitely recommend at least test riding it if you have the opportunity.
sjammer is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 11:27 PM
  #16  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
What is the Venge frame being replaced with?

I rode an Aethos a few weeks back, I don't own one, so I have exactly one ride that lasted about an hour. I didn't find it particularly different than my SL7, though it "felt" a bit lighter, when maneuvering. My guess is that it was in my head, because the tubes are noticeably smaller than my SL7. It is plenty stiff, and responded well to power input. I do't know about "jump," but it didn't feel flexy at all. In fact, it didn't feel different from my SL7 in any remarkable way.

If they replace the Venge with an SL7 frame (a big upgrade if you can get Spesh to do it)....have you considered getting something a bit different, like a Roubaix? Not sure what the road surfaces are like where you are, but honestly, for me, it would be a perfect second road bike for the rougher roads (cobbles, light gravel, busted pavement)
I am told they are giving me another Venge frameset and i really hope it is in the red/white colorway. To be honest, i am happier with that, than an SL7, if only because my OCD is happier with a slightly more aero bike. That said, if they give me an S-Works SL7, I wont complain either - but yeah, that may change what i get for my second bike in that case.

At present, my Factor LS is my bad roads/rain/do-it-all bike and i have been thinking of perhaps flipping it as well as my steel bike and getting a Roubaix or Domane, actually.
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-05-21, 11:30 PM
  #17  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sjammer View Post
When I get out of the saddle and crank it up the bike feels solid. I feel that I am getting everything out of the bike that I put in, if that makes sense. I have never owned any other road bikes, just mountain bikes so I have nothing really to compare it to. I would definitely recommend at least test riding it if you have the opportunity.
That's super helpful, thanks. I will see if i can get a test ride, but really, given stock situations, etc, it is looking quite unlikely.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 11:47 PM
  #18  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 1,171

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
I am told they are giving me another Venge frameset and i really hope it is in the red/white colorway. To be honest, i am happier with that, than an SL7, if only because my OCD is happier with a slightly more aero bike. That said, if they give me an S-Works SL7, I wont complain either - but yeah, that may change what i get for my second bike in that case.

At present, my Factor LS is my bad roads/rain/do-it-all bike and i have been thinking of perhaps flipping it as well as my steel bike and getting a Roubaix or Domane, actually.
The '21 SL7 is every bit as aero as a '19 Venge (even if it doesn't look as aero), and lighter as well, it would be an upgrade, IMO. But, I am not surprised that they still have Venge frames...that said, in my experience with Specialized frame warranty, it's like Forest Gump and his chocolates, you don't know what you're gonna get until it shows up, usually.

I don't have a Roubaix (and never ridden one), but do ride with a couple of guys who do, and from their descriptions it may be my next ride (when they update the frame next year, if they stay on schedule). They swear it has a stiff BB, but lots of vertical compliance, and based on the way they hit cobblestone climbs like Oude Kwaremont or De Vesten & De Muur, etc., I'm inclined to believe them. They just look for comfortable than I am... Regardless, there are so many great frames available right now (bikes are obviously a bit of a different story), I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of the ones you've listed out, the real issue is getting the frame optimized for the riding you'll do.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 07:54 AM
  #19  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 1,429

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Rides4Beer Lemme check out the Super6. I generally have stopped looking at Cannondale because their color schemes leave me meh. That said, everyone who has them seems to love them, so maybe worth giving them another look.
Yeah, their colorways aren't the greatest, could always go custom paint. They do have a couple of framesets that look good, the Rainbow Trout one in particular.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-06-21, 10:13 AM
  #20  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
The '21 SL7 is every bit as aero as a '19 Venge (even if it doesn't look as aero), and lighter as well, it would be an upgrade, IMO. But, I am not surprised that they still have Venge frames...that said, in my experience with Specialized frame warranty, it's like Forest Gump and his chocolates, you don't know what you're gonna get until it shows up, usually.

I don't have a Roubaix (and never ridden one), but do ride with a couple of guys who do, and from their descriptions it may be my next ride (when they update the frame next year, if they stay on schedule). They swear it has a stiff BB, but lots of vertical compliance, and based on the way they hit cobblestone climbs like Oude Kwaremont or De Vesten & De Muur, etc., I'm inclined to believe them. They just look for comfortable than I am... Regardless, there are so many great frames available right now (bikes are obviously a bit of a different story), I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of the ones you've listed out, the real issue is getting the frame optimized for the riding you'll do.
Yeah, even now, the Spesh dealer cant confirm to me what color frameset I am getting. I saw a photo on WW or somewhere of a really awesome red/white frame (like the Trek Viper Red) - i am really hoping it is that, and not teal/green/blue or some crap like that.

I was actually leaning towards a Domane over a Roubaix just as a change of pace from Spesh. I will take both for a ride - rear ISOSpeed or whatever doesnt mean that much to me: on rough roads, the big impact is the front wheel and the purchase will depend on whether the Spesh or the Domane does a better job there. The Trek Viper Red colorway is oh-so-hot, though. But yeah, it will all depend on what Spesh does. I am told to expect the frameset by the end of May.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 10:17 AM
  #21  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
Yeah, their colorways aren't the greatest, could always go custom paint. They do have a couple of framesets that look good, the Rainbow Trout one in particular.
Hey, you are right. This one is a pretty neat color as well:
| Race Bikes | Cannondale

And since you say you can fit 32c or larger tires on it, this just made my list too.

Thanks!
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-06-21, 01:19 PM
  #22  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 245 Times in 143 Posts
I have found large tyres (28c +) are are not helpful at all if you are wanting that super responsive, instant accelerating feel.
So one of your requirements is working against the other one.
Dean V is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 01:52 PM
  #23  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,952

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19462 Post(s)
Liked 8,005 Times in 4,041 Posts
Not sure if you've seen this guadzilla, but it was shared with me in another thread - https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...ot-buy-it-yet/



I will say that I'm surprised that it doesn't have dropped stays, though.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 05:00 PM
  #24  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,799

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 500 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
At present, my Factor LS is my bad roads/rain/do-it-all bike and i have been thinking of perhaps flipping it as well as my steel bike and getting a Roubaix or Domane, actually.
The Domane I can speak too, I went project one SLR7 , super stiff, smooth riding, absolutely one of the best bikes I have ever owned. You have dual IsoSpeed, the rear one is adjustable, so if you want a little more flex or a little more stiffness, just adjust the allen bolt and you are good to go. Absolutely love the bike
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-06-21, 10:22 PM
  #25  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
Thread Starter
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,330

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I have found large tyres (28c +) are are not helpful at all if you are wanting that super responsive, instant accelerating feel.
So one of your requirements is working against the other one.
Fair point - i wont always be running it with large tires. I want to have the option to do so.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
The Domane I can speak too, I went project one SLR7 , super stiff, smooth riding, absolutely one of the best bikes I have ever owned. You have dual IsoSpeed, the rear one is adjustable, so if you want a little more flex or a little more stiffness, just adjust the allen bolt and you are good to go. Absolutely love the bike
Thank you for this info - i may actually exercise some restraint for once in my life, replace the Factor with the Domane as Bike #3 and then look at Bike #2 (the subject of this thread) at my leisure. Maybe wait for the R5 to be released before deciding - I generally dont have upgraditis (this Factor may be the first time I have sold a frame so soon), so would rather get the Right Bike.
guadzilla is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.