Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Supertuck

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

The Supertuck

Old 05-06-21, 10:35 PM
  #1  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
The Supertuck

The supertuck, a classic descending position. It was recently banned by a racing authority because they donít want amateurs getting injured. What is your opinion of the position? I like it a lot, it feels stable and saves me energy on my commute. I start supertucking much earlier than my fellow riders, around 20 mph, in order to save energy. Anyone else love the supertuck? I feel like this is something that fat guys really sleep on because it helps us disproportionality
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 11:34 PM
  #2  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
I very much prefer the "dropper tuck" - doing it with dropper post.

Dropper tuck is A LOT safer and even faster than super tuck. Safety is obvious as you remain seated in your saddle, no further explanation needed.

Speed comes in the form of able to attack corners at higher speed than super tuck because you can maintain very low riding position during braking and turning without compromising your safety and handling of bike. The dropper tuck enables you to brake later and harder - an advantage in any form of vehicle racing.

Speed also comes in the form of able to pedal when the gradient starts to flatten or becomes flat or even positive momentarily and you're still above 40 mph. You can pedal to help conserve momentum in the dropper tuck..... But you can't do it in the super tuck because you have to get back to your high seat which means you'll lose more speed from the increased drag even if you're pedaling at high effort.

Last edited by cubewheels; 05-06-21 at 11:38 PM.
cubewheels is offline  
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 05-06-21, 11:52 PM
  #3  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I very much prefer the "dropper tuck" - doing it with dropper post.

Dropper tuck is A LOT safer and even faster than super tuck. Safety is obvious as you remain seated in your saddle, no further explanation needed.

Speed comes in the form of able to attack corners at higher speed than super tuck because you can maintain very low riding position during braking and turning without compromising your safety and handling of bike. The dropper tuck enables you to brake later and harder - an advantage in any form of vehicle racing.

Speed also comes in the form of able to pedal when the gradient starts to flatten or becomes flat or even positive momentarily and you're still above 40 mph. You can pedal to help conserve momentum in the dropper tuck..... But you can't do it in the super tuck because you have to get back to your high seat which means you'll lose more speed from the increased drag even if you're pedaling at high effort.
dropper tuck?? Do you mean having a dropper seatpost like a mountain bike? Is that a thing? Thatís super sick if Iím imagining what I think youíre saying. Thatís actually hilarious if people are out there with dropper posts for aero reasons, love to see it

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-06-21 at 11:58 PM.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-07-21, 12:24 AM
  #4  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 344

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
The supertuck, a classic descending position. It was recently banned by a racing authority because they donít want amateurs getting injured. What is your opinion of the position? I like it a lot, it feels stable and saves me energy on my commute. I start supertucking much earlier than my fellow riders, around 20 mph, in order to save energy. Anyone else love the supertuck? I feel like this is something that fat guys really sleep on because it helps us disproportionality
You probably have a different definition of "stable" in view of the unequal length aerobars made from a small diameter copper pipe bent into a U shape and zip tied to your flat handlebars, as shown here: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Getting dropped on hills.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-07-21, 02:37 AM
  #5  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,287

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
You probably have a different definition of "stable" in view of the unequal length aerobars made from a small diameter copper pipe bent into a U shape and zip tied to your flat handlebars, as shown here: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Getting dropped on hills.
Those aren't aerobars, they are water divining rods. The weight savings from not having to carry an extra bison (I love auto correct) are stupendous. Actually that bike could probably fit a small bison in the rear crate.
znomit is offline  
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-07-21, 04:25 AM
  #6  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
dropper tuck?? Do you mean having a dropper seatpost like a mountain bike? Is that a thing? That’s super sick if I’m imagining what I think you’re saying. That’s actually hilarious if people are out there with dropper posts for aero reasons, love to see it
Safety and speed, exactly the same reasons MTB'ers have it. Here's GCN video (my riding position is even lower and more aero).

cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 08:56 AM
  #7  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
You probably have a different definition of "stable" in view of the unequal length aerobars made from a small diameter copper pipe bent into a U shape and zip tied to your flat handlebars, as shown here: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Getting dropped on hills.
You forgot the milk crate on the back.
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 08:59 AM
  #8  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Safety and speed, exactly the same reasons MTB'ers have it. Here's GCN video (my riding position is even lower and more aero).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEaeY25Amg

thatís absolutely insane hahaha. Never knew that was a thing, super rad!! Also guys the supertuck is stable my aerobars less so, I wonít descend on my aerobars but I stay supertucked.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:03 AM
  #9  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,629

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 487 Posts
cxwrench is online now  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-07-21, 09:20 AM
  #10  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
You probably have a different definition of "stable" in view of the unequal length aerobars made from a small diameter copper pipe bent into a U shape and zip tied to your flat handlebars, as shown here: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Getting dropped on hills.
those give me a fighting chance against the all but the fastest guys. I can sustain 20+ mph in my aerobars for short spurts, no way can I do that without an aggressive riding position. Itís not the safest or the most comfortable, but we all make some sacrifices for speed.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-07-21 at 09:25 AM.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:37 AM
  #11  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Some supertuck porn curtesy of the one and only SAFA Brian.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-07-21, 09:57 AM
  #12  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,367

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
This one's OK but I really think you should step up your game with thread about droping the hamer on the MUP and passing an ebike.
ksryder is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 10:06 AM
  #13  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
This one's OK but I really think you should step up your game with thread about droping the hamer on the MUP and passing an ebike.
I never pass ebikes, draft those dudes all day.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-07-21, 11:07 AM
  #14  
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 763

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
those give me a fighting chance against the all but the fastest guys. I can sustain 20+ mph in my aerobars for short spurts, no way can I do that without an aggressive riding position. It’s not the safest or the most comfortable, but we all make some sacrifices for speed.

Not all...


Not like that.


*EDIT you do you.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 05-07-21 at 11:08 AM. Reason: let your freak flag fly
growlerdinky is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 11:46 AM
  #15  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 634

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by larrysellerz View Post
those give me a fighting chance against the all but the fastest guys. I can sustain 20+ mph in my aerobars for short spurts, no way can i do that without an aggressive riding position. It’s not the safest or the most comfortable, but we all make some sacrifices for speed.
ygtbfkm
Badger6 is offline  
Likes For Badger6:
Old 05-07-21, 12:03 PM
  #16  
shelbyfv 
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,345
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,171 Posts
Wonder how often they check the IP addresses?
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 07:23 PM
  #17  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 3,888

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts
The supertuck is so 10 years ago. The cool guys today are doing the SuperMAN tuck.

Including the coolest of them all, Sagan.




Pretty sure the UCI hasn't banned this one. Yet.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-07-21, 09:02 PM
  #18  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
The supertuck is so 10 years ago. The cool guys today are doing the SuperMAN tuck.

Including the coolest of them all, Sagan.




Pretty sure the UCI hasn't banned this one. Yet.
I REALLY want to learn how to do this. So badly. Itís hard Iíve had little success.

the supertuck is legitimately super stable and feels super nice. One of my favorites is passing groups/a person right before a hill and then starting the supertuck at like 10-15 mph. Just build that speed and showcase the aerodynamic power without using any energy, I feel so powerful.

Also you are laser focused when tucking, look at that dudes face in the Superman, he means serious business

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-07-21 at 09:17 PM.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:08 PM
  #19  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,803

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 1,027 Posts
Obree did that years ago.
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-07-21, 09:19 PM
  #20  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Obree did that years ago.

Wtf am I looking at in this picture. What a radical bike?!!!!!
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 10:00 PM
  #21  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 3,888

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Obree did that years ago.
Obree is one half mad scientist, one half lungs.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-07-21, 10:20 PM
  #22  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 208 Times in 122 Posts
I have tried it.
Didn't like it.
Never felt the need for it.
Never had trouble keeping up with others while descending sitting on my seat.
Maybe if you suck at climbing and need to get on the back of the group it could be helpful.
Or if you want to ride off the front.
Neither of those apply for me.
Dean V is offline  
Likes For Dean V:
Old 05-08-21, 01:06 AM
  #23  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
The supertuck is so 10 years ago. The cool guys today are doing the SuperMAN tuck.

Including the coolest of them all, Sagan.




Pretty sure the UCI hasn't banned this one. Yet.
This picture could be 10 years old. At least 8.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 05-08-21, 01:44 AM
  #24  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 208 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
This picture could be 10 years old. At least 8.
Rollie Free used it at Bonneville in 1948, so not quite a new idea.
Dean V is offline  
Old 05-08-21, 09:34 AM
  #25  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 3,888

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
Rollie Free used it at Bonneville in 1948, so not quite a new idea.
And Rollie stripped down to a bathing suit, because his leathers were causing too much drag. That's dedication.

Not a UCI-legal kit, however.


__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.