Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Old 08-29-21, 07:16 AM
  #126  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,201
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I also really appreciate the built-in climb pro app. so you know where you are on all the significant climbs.
Iíve seen the climb app pop up when Iím following a route. Is there a way to activate it when just riding?
gregf83 is offline  
Old 08-29-21, 07:39 AM
  #127  
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,560

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Iíve seen the climb app pop up when Iím following a route. Is there a way to activate it when just riding?
I don't think so. Namely, how would your Garmin know where you're going to go to show you the distance etc left on your climb.
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-29-21, 08:52 AM
  #128  
Sunshine
Thread Starter
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,436

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10827 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 4,094 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Iíve seen the climb app pop up when Iím following a route. Is there a way to activate it when just riding?
No. The device doesn't know if you will ride the hill or turn off of it onto another road halfway thru.
It uses the route data to determine what is worthy of being a hill to climb.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-21, 08:48 PM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,201
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't think so. Namely, how would your Garmin know where you're going to go to show you the distance etc left on your climb.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No. The device doesn't know if you will ride the hill or turn off of it onto another road halfway thru.
It uses the route data to determine what is worthy of being a hill to climb.
They bring up a virtual partner when you start a favourite segment. It would be nice if theyíd activate the hill app whenever you start an uphill segment that meets the criteria for a climb. Thatís my feature request.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 09-02-21, 01:37 AM
  #130  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Received my 530 performance bundle yesterday and took it for a quick test ride, have to say very impressed so far, cadence, speed and hr monitor all setup easily, set up of unit itself was a little time consuming but as it was new wasn't a problem as was excited to have it! Have set up the 7 field display and all look good, there are a lot of features I don't fully understand yet but all part of the learning curve! Navigation was spot on, hill climb pro worked really well, all in all very impressed with unit so far! Have linked to my Strava account. Only downside was looking at the data afterwards and seeing my heartrate!
sw20 is offline  
Old 09-02-21, 12:37 PM
  #131  
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,405

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
I've liked my Bolt and like the app interface as many describe the Garmin stuff as ultimately infuriating at some point in your journey with them as a company.

But......I've killed one Bolt out of warranty when the charge port cover wouldn't seal and the side buttons covers separated allowing sweat/water ingress ruining it. 1.5 year use. My second is in warranty exchange now for......the charge port cover failing. This time luckily within 2 weeks of the 1 year.

How they can't get that right, no idea. This time around the side button cover didn't start coming off as I bought a silicone cover for it that covers the buttons.......so was good there. But the silicone cover had an opening for the charge port so the charge port door still failed. Womp womp.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 09-02-21, 01:08 PM
  #132  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've liked my Bolt and like the app interface as many describe the Garmin stuff as ultimately infuriating at some point in your journey with them as a company.

But......I've killed one Bolt out of warranty when the charge port cover wouldn't seal and the side buttons covers separated allowing sweat/water ingress ruining it. 1.5 year use. My second is in warranty exchange now for......the charge port cover failing. This time luckily within 2 weeks of the 1 year.

How they can't get that right, no idea. This time around the side button cover didn't start coming off as I bought a silicone cover for it that covers the buttons.......so was good there. But the silicone cover had an opening for the charge port so the charge port door still failed. Womp womp.
My Bolt got killed in the rain, too. It was also replaced under warranty, but still.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-21, 03:15 PM
  #133  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
What are some of your preferred ConnectIQ apps?
bikedataone has some interesting looking apps
sw20 is offline  
Likes For sw20:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.