Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ebay Carbon Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ebay Carbon Wheels

Old 07-27-21, 07:50 PM
  #26  
redtires
Extra Medium Member
 
redtires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Erie, Co
Posts: 1,857

Bikes: Scott Spark for the dirt; Battaglin for the pavement.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph View Post
Just dont buy them , the quality control is not good as a normal branded one. You can have a lot of choice by looking on internet , just find a good brand and buy.
For example i own a prime component pair of wheelset , well they are not a pair of campagnolo or fulcrum but at least they were sold by wiggle or crc , basically i'ts a small brand (i think owned by them) that has quality control and a great support. CRC and Wiggle are two big shops , thats why i have the security that prime brand is not some cheap or problematic brand.
Also i noticed that brand in the last years became a lot popular , you should take a look and get your idea a lot away from china parts.
It's not a "small brand"....it's a "house brand". Two completely different things. I would bet dollars to donuts they are sourced out of both China and Taiwan depending on which model you're getting. Chain Reaction buys them in bulk with their brand on them...then sells them to you. They weren't hand built in the back of corporate next to the water cooler. This is a page from a very long playbook started back in the late 80's executed by Performance, Nashbar, etc...
__________________
Droping the hamer since '86
redtires is offline  
Likes For redtires:
Old 07-28-21, 05:16 PM
  #27  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,129 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires View Post
It's not a "small brand"....it's a "house brand". Two completely different things. I would bet dollars to donuts they are sourced out of both China and Taiwan depending on which model you're getting. Chain Reaction buys them in bulk with their brand on them...then sells them to you. They weren't hand built in the back of corporate next to the water cooler. This is a page from a very long playbook started back in the late 80's executed by Performance, Nashbar, etc...
But the point is that they will have some kind of quality control behind them. They will no doubt be sourced in Asia, but CRC will have made some effort to find a reputable source before putting their house brand on them. Buying from CRC just takes out some of the effort in working out which of the Chinese ebay specials are reputable.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-28-21, 09:23 PM
  #28  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 4,440

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,781 Times in 780 Posts
I bought super team off amazon back in December. I have almost 3000 miles on them, and no issues at all. Crashed once and still true. I’m very happy with them.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-01-21, 09:19 AM
  #29  
CrowSeph
On the crow's wings
 
CrowSeph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Italy
Posts: 601

Bikes: (Whistle Roadbike) (Cannondale Trail) (Robur Roadbike1956)(Chiorda Condorino)(Erre from circa 1930) (Tomasini Roadbike 1970)(A folding commuter)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
But the point is that they will have some kind of quality control behind them. They will no doubt be sourced in Asia, but CRC will have made some effort to find a reputable source before putting their house brand on them. Buying from CRC just takes out some of the effort in working out which of the Chinese ebay specials are reputable.
exacly
CrowSeph is offline  
Old 08-01-21, 09:58 AM
  #30  
popeye
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 1,857

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts
We have two members here who hand build CF wheels at a reasonable price with real support. Boyd and Psimet. Happy customer.
popeye is offline  
Likes For popeye:
Old 08-01-21, 10:16 AM
  #31  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 2,406 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Bad news for all the pro riders out there reading BF that are contemplating buying cheap carbon wheels online, I guess.
Chris Froome gets most of his equipment advice from Bike Forums.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-03-21, 08:19 AM
  #32  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 11,296

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,084 Times in 652 Posts
One word of warning. On Ebay, a seller known as "Carbon Zone" or "The Carbon Zone" Complete utter garbage. Won't stand behind his products. I had a front wheel failure on a brand new wheelset. The sides were separating enough to cause the brakes to pulsate. He stalled until the replacement envelope expired then ghosted me.
I buy from King bike 888, or Princess bike . No problems. I have 5 other sets from these 2 reputable sellers without any problems.
ls01 is offline  
Old 08-03-21, 10:56 AM
  #33  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,261
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15966 Post(s)
Liked 7,594 Times in 4,229 Posts
Someone on eBay doesn't stand behind their product? On eBay???
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-03-21, 12:34 PM
  #34  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
One word of warning. On Ebay, a seller known as "Carbon Zone" or "The Carbon Zone" Complete utter garbage. Won't stand behind his products. I had a front wheel failure on a brand new wheelset. The sides were separating enough to cause the brakes to pulsate. He stalled until the replacement envelope expired then ghosted me.
I buy from King bike 888, or Princess bike . No problems. I have 5 other sets from these 2 reputable sellers without any problems.
I wouldn't expect any sort of guarantees or after sale service from someone selling cheap/generic carbon wheels on Ebay.
It sucks that you got burned, but that's part of the gamble here.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 08-03-21, 08:04 PM
  #35  
spilot101
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
One word of warning. On Ebay, a seller known as "Carbon Zone" or "The Carbon Zone" Complete utter garbage. Won't stand behind his products. I had a front wheel failure on a brand new wheelset. The sides were separating enough to cause the brakes to pulsate. He stalled until the replacement envelope expired then ghosted me.
I buy from King bike 888, or Princess bike . No problems. I have 5 other sets from these 2 reputable sellers without any problems.
Thanks for the heads up
spilot101 is offline  
Old 08-09-21, 07:42 AM
  #36  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 11,296

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,084 Times in 652 Posts
I hate to have to dredge this thread back up. But I have an update.

This is a hoop that I purchased from princess bike. It replaced the hoops on the set of wheels that failed last year from Carbon Zone. I have 1500 to 2000 miles on this wheelset after rebuilding it with these new hoops. They are 55mm deep, tubeless U shaped x 25 mm wide. I last rode them on thursday, they were fine. Saturday morning it exploded after pumping it up. 6 months old. Contacted Candy @ princess bike. She is going to warranty the hoop if I pay shipping ($65.00)
ls01 is offline  
Old 08-09-21, 08:16 AM
  #37  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 4,440

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,781 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
I hate to have to dredge this thread back up. But I have an update.

This is a hoop that I purchased from princess bike. It replaced the hoops on the set of wheels that failed last year from Carbon Zone. I have 1500 to 2000 miles on this wheelset after rebuilding it with these new hoops. They are 55mm deep, tubeless U shaped x 25 mm wide. I last rode them on thursday, they were fine. Saturday morning it exploded after pumping it up. 6 months old. Contacted Candy @ princess bike. She is going to warranty the hoop if I pay shipping ($65.00)

Over pressure? I run 80 psi on mine with 32 tires.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 10-07-21, 06:30 AM
  #38  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 11,296

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,084 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Over pressure? I run 80 psi on mine with 32 tires.
sorry I didn't see this question.
I run all the psi's. 110 sometimes 120. That was included in the criteria I supplied before purchase.
ls01 is offline  
Old 10-07-21, 06:33 AM
  #39  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 11,296

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,084 Times in 652 Posts
Just to update the status of the failed front wheel. I received my new hoop yesterday. Princess bike honored the warranty. I did have to pay for shipping but that's $65.00. I just need to swap it over to the spokes now.
ls01 is offline  
Old 10-07-21, 07:03 AM
  #40  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,539

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6563 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 924 Posts
Superteam seems reliable .... I went with Baixiang many years ago and love the wheels. They roll well, they are light (and light 28-spoke disc wheels are usually pricey) and they were affordable --sub $400 as I recall. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again nor to try Superteam.

Basically there are cheap wheels, crap knock-off wheels, bargain wheels, name-brand wheels and expensive wheels .... the name-brand wheels start at $500 or so and the expensive wheels seem to start around $700 and run up to three or four times that amount, which is kind of a lot for me.

If I can get perfectly good CF wheels for $385 I don't care what the decal says. I am sure Boyd and Reynolds and Zipp make awesome wheels .... I also know there is no prize money to be had from a 14-mph spin around the scenic neighborhoods around my town. I guess I will keep supporting small businesses in China. (And most of the other stuff except the expensive wheels, are probably sourced from China anyway.)
Maelochs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.