Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Style vs. Skill

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Style vs. Skill

Old 08-24-21, 01:15 PM
  #126  
mschwett 
please no more flats
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,130

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Remember it's slow, clip out, stop; not slow, stop, fall over. 🙂
**** ! i’ve been doing it totally wrong.

worry, worry, slow down, worry, **** ! grab a stoplight or parking meter!
mschwett is offline  
Old 08-24-21, 01:34 PM
  #127  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18879 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
That's why I got balloon outriggers. They're not very aero but give the bike a unique style befitting my size 27 shoes.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 08-24-21, 01:38 PM
  #128  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Remember it's slow, clip out, stop; not slow, stop, fall over. 🙂
I think I can manage this. What I am unsure about is whether I can manage clipping out if I have to brake hard in an emergency or semi-emergency.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 08-24-21, 05:10 PM
  #129  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18879 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Trigger warning. Speaking of style. When it gets cold, I say "F it" and ride in my hiking and climbing clothes. I can be comfortable scrambling a creek at 20F, there's no reason to feel cold at 50.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 08-24-21, 05:26 PM
  #130  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 3,861

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
I think I can manage this. What I am unsure about is whether I can manage clipping out if I have to brake hard in an emergency or semi-emergency.
It's a muscle memory movement pattern. Practice unclipping until the movement is unconscious. With both feet.

Something I learned from my time as a musician that is applicable with a lot of things..."An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they never get it wrong". Be a "pro".
Eric F is online now  
Old 08-24-21, 05:53 PM
  #131  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
It's a muscle memory movement pattern. Practice unclipping until the movement is unconscious. With both feet.

Something I learned from my time as a musician that is applicable with a lot of things..."An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they never get it wrong". Be a "pro".
This is good advice.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-24-21, 08:06 PM
  #132  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 238 Posts
I think it's funny that people are ****ting on op for judging other cyclists. Everyone judges each other; it's part of life, and there is definitely a cycling fashion that people adhere to and can be indicative of ability. I'm very low on the s axis and middle of the road a axis, and I definitely judge my fellow cyclists based on what they ride. Wearing kit from a racing team and riding a 10k$ bike doesn't meant you are fast, but it's enough for me to take notice and possibly change route to race them.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-24-21, 08:55 PM
  #133  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,152

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,518 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
I think I can manage this. What I am unsure about is whether I can manage clipping out if I have to brake hard in an emergency or semi-emergency.
I can't give you any instructions, but all I can say is that every time there's been a total emergency and I needed to dismount, unclipping happened. I don't know how it happened, it just did.
When you've clipped in and out enough, your legs just know how to do it. And that's not simply braking hard and getting a foot down - I'm talking about getting my whole body off the bike.
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-24-21, 10:35 PM
  #134  
Joearch
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 142

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bblevens View Post
So a guy like me who physically isn't able to be a fast monster rider but loves to ride and is fortunate enough to be able to afford good bikes and decent kit is a poseur? (I think the term you're looking for is Fred).
I am not fast. I cannot ride a century. But I love to ride and I found that a carbon frame with Ultegra was not only comfortable but it helped me enjoy my riding more. Hence I get out more.
If the serious riders don't like me and think I'm just trying to fit in, I suppose it's their loss.
I don't normally reply like this but I'm afraid this hit me wrong. The whole premise seems pompous and diametrically opposed to what bike riding should be about.
I've got my asbestos on, so have at it.
You have me covered on this topic.
I guess I am a decent rider who designs things for a living. I like things that look good and perform well. I am in balance and don’t care much about others judging me as I am sure they all have their own issues.
Joearch is offline  
Old 08-24-21, 11:20 PM
  #135  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18879 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
I can't give you any instructions, but all I can say is that every time there's been a total emergency and I needed to dismount, unclipping happened. I don't know how it happened, it just did.
When you've clipped in and out enough, your legs just know how to do it. And that's not simply braking hard and getting a foot down - I'm talking about getting my whole body off the bike.
​​​​​​That's funny. Me too.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 08-25-21, 08:45 AM
  #136  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 19,156

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8066 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,538 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I think it's funny that people are ****ting on op for judging other cyclists. Everyone judges each other; it's part of life, and there is definitely a cycling fashion that people adhere to and can be indicative of ability. I'm very low on the s axis and middle of the road a axis, and I definitely judge my fellow cyclists based on what they ride. Wearing kit from a racing team and riding a 10k$ bike doesn't meant you are fast, but it's enough for me to take notice and possibly change route to race them.
We know.

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 08-25-21 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-25-21, 08:48 AM
  #137  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,006
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16560 Post(s)
Liked 11,476 Times in 5,544 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I think it's funny that people are ******** on op
Watch your language, son.
indyfabz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.