Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 tire life-span: how many miles did you get?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 tire life-span: how many miles did you get?

Old 02-13-22, 10:18 PM
  #51  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wouldn't it be nice if the 5000 lasted exactly 5000 km
Lancercool1992 is offline  
Old 02-14-22, 05:17 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,680

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,185 Times in 2,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancercool1992
wouldn't it be nice if the 5000 lasted exactly 5000 km
5,000 miles would be a good ROI.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 02-24-22, 06:24 PM
  #53  
yaw
should be more popular
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Wax Town
Posts: 259

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Liked 168 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I pushed that last one and changed in just before it blew out. This is it:
Given the importance of tyres, why did you choose to leave it that long?

Edit: looks like your post is gone now?
yaw is offline  
Old 02-24-22, 09:50 PM
  #54  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
ctak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 393
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Glad to see so many users have shared their experiences.

Has anyone else also found that the cream version weigh slightly more due to the extra layer of colored rubber? I'm undecided whether they roll slightly slower due to the thicker sidewalls. Jarno, of BicycleRollingResistance dot com, told me they haven't tested this version yet but it is certainly plausible that they may be slightly slower (if only just a few watts) than the black or transparent models. OTOH, that extra layer might offer greater sidewall flat protection... not to say that sidewall cuts are problematic with regular GP5000s.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/produc...nge-afterwards
ctak is offline  
Likes For ctak:
Old 02-25-22, 02:12 AM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,680

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,185 Times in 2,022 Posts
i don't know how much the cream version would gum up the watts, but I'd not consider it an issue if I were going for a certain look. The penalty is likely very minimal anyway.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 02-25-22, 09:16 AM
  #56  
Newbie
 
Rodrigo Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 41

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancercool1992
wouldn't it be nice if the 5000 lasted exactly 5000 km
Not exactly, but mine lasted for 4985 Km

They still had some thread on them, but I decided to swap because of this:

Rodrigo Kenobi is offline  
Likes For Rodrigo Kenobi:
Old 02-25-22, 09:53 AM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancercool1992
wouldn't it be nice if the 5000 lasted exactly 5000 km
Depending on who's using them, they may very well be. 4000kms seems to be ''the norm'' for high end race tires, however. That's what I got out of my Schwalbe Pro Ones last year. They would have lasted another 1000kms if I wasn't a heavy cyclist.
eduskator is offline  
Old 02-25-22, 10:34 AM
  #58  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
I got about 3000 miles on my last set.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 02-26-23, 07:54 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,057

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Liked 1,420 Times in 721 Posts
this is my latest rear GP5000 TR-S 28mm, "transparent" sidewall, run tubeless at 45-65psi depending on conditions. 1,750 miles. dimples still visible but only by a sliver. the 30mm version of the same tire seemed to be at the same level of wear at 2,100 miles.
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Old 02-26-23, 08:21 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,046

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,074 Times in 2,639 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Did you keep using your tire after the more severe puncture(s) that went all the way through? I'm debating putting an internal tire patch on this (daylight visible through this cut which pierced the 3 ply casing) or just trashing it

I was just moseying my way through the early pages of this thread and saw this. Yes, 2 years old, but - the perfect place for a repair with sailcloth and contact cement. Real sailcloth from a sailmaker. Dinghy racing fabric works perfect. Real contact cement. The stuff contractors use. The stuff with bad fumes. A patch 2-3" long glued properly will last as long as the tire and that cut will never open further. (In fact, I'll bet it could be closed up manually before the patch is applied and it would stay about half that degree open.) I've saved tires with much bigger cuts (debris slashes I had to improvise boots for to get home - thank you, US Treasury for your boot material of excellent fabric.)

Sailcloth is fabric made to handle abuse very similar to bike tires. Racing; made to be light, strong and stiff.
79pmooney is online now  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-26-23, 09:11 PM
  #61  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,324

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,134 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Glad to see so many users have shared their experiences.

Has anyone else also found that the cream version weigh slightly more due to the extra layer of colored rubber? I'm undecided whether they roll slightly slower due to the thicker sidewalls. Jarno, of BicycleRollingResistance dot com, told me they haven't tested this version yet but it is certainly plausible that they may be slightly slower (if only just a few watts) than the black or transparent models. OTOH, that extra layer might offer greater sidewall flat protection... not to say that sidewall cuts are problematic with regular GP5000s.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/produc...nge-afterwards
my 25 mm cream wall GP5K’s weighed around 255 g each

sorta / kinda on the hefty side - especially when they measure close to 23 mm (mounted on Campy Omega 19 rims)
t2p is offline  
Old 02-27-23, 12:09 PM
  #62  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 7,329

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,805 Times in 1,895 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was just moseying my way through the early pages of this thread and saw this. Yes, 2 years old, but - the perfect place for a repair with sailcloth and contact cement. Real sailcloth from a sailmaker. Dinghy racing fabric works perfect. Real contact cement. The stuff contractors use. The stuff with bad fumes. A patch 2-3" long glued properly will last as long as the tire and that cut will never open further. (In fact, I'll bet it could be closed up manually before the patch is applied and it would stay about half that degree open.) I've saved tires with much bigger cuts (debris slashes I had to improvise boots for to get home - thank you, US Treasury for your boot material of excellent fabric.)

Sailcloth is fabric made to handle abuse very similar to bike tires. Racing; made to be light, strong and stiff.
I don't have any sailcloth, but I am experimenting with polyurethane-coated waterproof nylon canvas. It's very sturdy stuff -- the type of canvas used in waterproof panniers. But it's also supple, and you want a tire patch to be supple.

As soon as I have a tire that's ready to patch, I plan to give this stuff a try. I'm using quick-drying cyanoacrylate (which bonds very well to rubber) instead of contact cement. This is intended as a roadside repair kit that's also a permanent patch (not a temporary tire boot), so hanging around while the contact cement dries would less than ideal. It should also be good for tubeless. I'll find out soon.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat. ROUVY: terrymorse



Last edited by terrymorse; 02-27-23 at 12:33 PM.
terrymorse is offline  
Old 02-27-23, 12:26 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by cuevélo
5) Rather than rotating tires back to front, I'd wait until it's time to replace the back tire, rotate front to back, and put a new tire on the front.
Funny you say that, because I actually put the new one in the back. The front one usually last as long as the 2 rear ones.
eduskator is offline  
Old 02-27-23, 12:31 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 707
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
I used GP4000 and 5000 rear tires at least 9000 km. I use to change due to the signs of old rubber, even if they work perfect, well before touching the wear indicators.
About the front tire - I'm not sure that I can fully wear one. After a few thousands km, they hardly lose the mold burr on the ridge.
Redbullet is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 09:27 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I used GP4000 and 5000 rear tires at least 9000 km. I use to change due to the signs of old rubber, even if they work perfect, well before touching the wear indicators.
About the front tire - I'm not sure that I can fully wear one. After a few thousands km, they hardly lose the mold burr on the ridge.
9000km on a single tire? How heavy are you, 100lbs?
eduskator is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 10:47 AM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 707
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
9000km on a single tire? How heavy are you, 100lbs?
Yes, I changed 4 rear tires in the last years. Not heavy, not light: 78 Kg.
Redbullet is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 12:03 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Wow! Same weight, but mine will last between 3500 to 4000kms with luck. Running tubeless / hookless at 65PSI. The roads that I use are clean.
eduskator is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 01:30 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 707
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Wow! Same weight, but mine will last between 3500 to 4000kms with luck. Running tubeless / hookless at 65PSI. The roads that I use are clean.
I think the pressure is the driver here. I use normal with tubes, 23mm, at roughly 90 PSI.
Redbullet is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 03:16 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
So tubeless tires would have shorter lifespans than non tubeless tires?
eduskator is offline  
Old 02-28-23, 03:28 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 707
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
The roads I ride are pretty clean, so I think I can reduce pressure close to 65 PSI and get the same tire lifespan as you get.
Does it solve the problem?
Redbullet is offline  
Old 04-10-24, 02:05 PM
  #71  
Johnny
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1

Bikes: Scott Addict

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I use 32mm tubeful GP5000s that I run at 75 psi - I weigh 225 and ride on typical suburban roads with lots of crud.

I don't push tire mileage anymore - I'd rather avoid roadside flat repairs than get a few hundred more miles. On 3 rear tires I'm getting around 3,000 - 3,500 miles before the wear dimples nearly disappear.
This reply grabbed my attention! I've just switched to this very size tyre and I'm the same weight running at a similar tyre pressure. I've just got back from my very first bike packing trip in Italy from Rome to Scalea. The tyres have performed perfectly so far, though I did enter a massive flooded out pothole and got a double pinch rim puncture front and back. No tyre damage and not at all a reflection on the tyre quality. I'm looking forward to getting some longevity out of these tyres.
SaudiJohnny is offline  
Old 04-10-24, 02:40 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 636

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
About 1900 miles on my current oldest rear mounted GP5000. Some glass cut up a portion of the tread last fall, down to the casing, but as it didn't puncture the casing, I kept it on. It's been over 1k miles and still good, with wear dimples both visible (though shallow).

The matching front tire just got a big sidewall puncture last week. I used a glueless patch to prevent the replacement tube from bursting out, but by the time I made it home (only about 6mi on level ground), the tube was peaking out (glueless patches being a bit stretchy and all). Probably could've figured out a way to save the tire with a better patch, but figured I'd trust the spare tire more. A shame really, the front tire's wear dimples were still quite well defined.

On the other bike, just took off an entry level Conti Ultra Sport 2 from the front wheel at 5,400 miles. Very visible wear dimples, just wanted to put a GP5k on the front of the nice bike, and put the Ultra Sport on the in-town bike. Figure it ought to be a bit faster than the gravel tire.
aliasfox is offline  
Old 04-11-24, 06:17 AM
  #73  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississauga ON
Posts: 336

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
75kg and I ride on typical Canada ****** roads. From the time snow melts and there is all sorts of crap on the shoulders to when I cant feel my fingers in the fall.
I have the cream GP5000 S TR 30mm setup to hookless with 60psi and I put 13000km on them last year, set up tubeless. Zero punctures and I see NO need to replace them yet.
How you guys kill yours after 5000km or so is mindblowing.

On the other hand, my wife and the same tires, lasted about 60km. Deep cuts in the side wall on the very first ride.

Last edited by crazyravr; 04-11-24 at 07:44 AM.
crazyravr is offline  
Old 04-11-24, 08:35 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Albuquerque NM USA
Posts: 555
Liked 338 Times in 214 Posts
I've got 3,000+ miles on some 28 mm GP 5000 S TR and it looks like another 1.000 miles. I'm trying to wear the things out so I can try some 32 mm I have ready to go. But the ride on my Trek Domane is more than comfortable enough I'm not going to throw out tires with life in them just to try something that will be more comfortable.

I know I've seen comments online about the GP 5000 wearing fast, but I don't think I've gotten 3,000 miles out of any rear tire I've used. So, I'm very please. I'm also not a lightweight rider at around 190+ lbs. I run tubeless and also have yet to have to plug these. That of course could just be down to chance.

But for tires that have some of the best, if not the best rolling resistance in their class, have plenty good enough puncture resistance, are wearing really well, and have good grip (though I'm no racer and don't push that limit), these seems to be damn near perfect tires. Pricy at $80-$90 each. But, well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I've found them easy to mount on the two sets of rims I've used them on.
Mtracer is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 04:40 AM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 2,164

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
75kg and I ride on typical Canada ****** roads. From the time snow melts and there is all sorts of crap on the shoulders to when I cant feel my fingers in the fall.
I have the cream GP5000 S TR 30mm setup to hookless with 60psi and I put 13000km on them last year, set up tubeless. Zero punctures and I see NO need to replace them yet.
How you guys kill yours after 5000km or so is mindblowing.

On the other hand, my wife and the same tires, lasted about 60km. Deep cuts in the side wall on the very first ride.
You put 13 000kms on a set of premium race tires? Get outta here!
eduskator is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.