Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

quest for saddle, ended

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

quest for saddle, ended

Old 09-18-21, 10:48 PM
  #1  
bleui
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
quest for saddle, ended

so for the last 10 years I've been on numerous saddles,
Fizik Arione, Antares, Specialized Romin, Power, Power Arc, Fabric Scoop, Pro Griffon, with Romin being the least torturous and Power with the most chaffing issues.
Finally found the best saddle for my bum and bike fit position with Pro Stealth saddle, seriously no sores or chaffing which makes me confuse on what to do with the leftover chamois cream circa using Power saddle

the question is do you guys stock on your perfect saddle?
for reasons such as, future replacement, future n+1 bikes or, god forbid, they for no reason discontinued that certain saddle line-up (i.e. Romin)
or you just have faith on the bike industry to bring new design and technology for the comfort of your bum, like the Stealth saddle wasn't exist 5 years ago and if I were to stock on Romin I wouldn't even know about this Stealth saddle

Last edited by bleui; 09-19-21 at 01:14 AM.
bleui is offline  
Old 09-18-21, 11:05 PM
  #2  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,531

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 408 Posts
I've thought about it, but have not done it. I rode the Romin for a long time, fantastic saddle, up until about the 70 mile mark, then it was the saddle from hell, but I still had them on 4 bikes. So when I got my Domane, I started looking for something else, tried some different saddles from Specialized, and others, but then Bontrager released the Verse saddle, so knowing they had a 30 days return policy, I gave it a try. It is so much more comfortable than the Romin, especially beyond the 70 mile mark. When I tried it in the 135 width, which the Romin never had, that is when I knew this was the one. I bought 2 more for my other bikes, and my wife even gave it a whirl and she switch her saddle over to it but in the 145mm.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.




jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-19-21, 12:04 AM
  #3  
bleui
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I've thought about it, but have not done it. I rode the Romin for a long time, fantastic saddle, up until about the 70 mile mark, then it was the saddle from hell, but I still had them on 4 bikes. So when I got my Domane, I started looking for something else, tried some different saddles from Specialized, and others, but then Bontrager released the Verse saddle, so knowing they had a 30 days return policy, I gave it a try. It is so much more comfortable than the Romin, especially beyond the 70 mile mark. When I tried it in the 135 width, which the Romin never had, that is when I knew this was the one. I bought 2 more for my other bikes, and my wife even gave it a whirl and she switch her saddle over to it but in the 145mm.
​​​​​​​oh man now I'm intrigued by that Verse saddle. I'll be honest the brand Bontrager never came across the mind when searching for a saddle, but seems like I need to explore more.
is the Verse's sideways more curved or flattened (which I prefer)?

Last edited by bleui; 09-19-21 at 01:13 AM.
bleui is offline  
Old 09-19-21, 06:42 AM
  #4  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,531

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 408 Posts
Yea I was never a fan of their saddles, but, I have heard some good stuff about a few of the saddles in the last couple of years. My wife was riding a Bontrager Montrose and liked it a lot, but it was starting to bother her so that is why she wanted to look at something else. The Verse is 3 mm narrower than what she was using in the Montrose that seemed to do the trick.

Forgive the pictures, but I have the bike on the stand and it is raining heavily, so they are somewhat dark and muddled with other crap in the background but I think it will give you a solid idea on shape. To me, they are a more rounded than the Romin, and have a little more cushion without being soft and deadening. It's a firm cushion, but I've been really happy with it. On long ride, I have no discomfort what so ever. However, you know how it goes, your mileage may very as saddles are very personable. I was glad that I tried the narrower version before I gave up on them though as the 145mm just rubbed a little awkwardly reminding me of the Romin on long rides.



__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.




jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-19-21, 09:59 AM
  #5  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 36,374

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 508 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16203 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 1,936 Posts
If you have the spare cash and storage space, it makes sense to have at least ONE “backup” saddle in the closet to cover next bike or crash damage. Luckily most saddles have a very long lifespan so no need to go crazy.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-20-21, 06:47 AM
  #6  
redcon1
Senior Member
 
redcon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 510

Bikes: Gary Fisher X-Caliber, Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Lately I'm thinking I want to switch up my Specialized Phenom Expert to the Power saddle, because of the shorter nose. I find myself getting hung up on the nose of my Phenom while sitting back after a standing effort.
Has anyone done this exact switch?
redcon1 is offline  
Old 09-20-21, 07:48 AM
  #7  
ARPRINCE
Senior Member
 
ARPRINCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 38° 53' 51.635" N 77° 2' 11.507" W
Posts: 839

Bikes: Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1 View Post
Lately I'm thinking I want to switch up my Specialized Phenom Expert to the Power saddle, because of the shorter nose. I find myself getting hung up on the nose of my Phenom while sitting back after a standing effort.
Has anyone done this exact switch?
I have a S-WORKS POWER and POWER EXPERT. I don't think I would be going back to a normal nose length saddle. Easy to slide in and out, no hang ups. As a matter of fact, I'm been looking to get new bike (Tern Verge X11) and all I can think that the first thing to go is the saddle.

EDIT: In response to the OPs question, I'd probably would not stock a saddle. There might be a better option after X number of years from the same model/mold. If discontinued, well......that's just too bad.


Last edited by ARPRINCE; 09-25-21 at 08:47 AM.
ARPRINCE is offline  
Likes For ARPRINCE:
Old 09-20-21, 01:13 PM
  #8  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,522

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6551 Post(s)
Liked 1,663 Times in 915 Posts
I believe in stocking up on anything which might wear out and not be replaceable. Unfortunately I bought most of my favorite saddles at closeout sales or as remnants .... not even sure how many of them are still being made, and if they are ... they cost two arms and a leg.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-20-21, 01:19 PM
  #9  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,830

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4090 Post(s)
Liked 4,353 Times in 2,212 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui View Post
so for the last 10 years I've been on numerous saddles,
Fizik Arione, Antares, Specialized Romin, Power, Power Arc, Fabric Scoop, Pro Griffon, with Romin being the least torturous and Power with the most chaffing issues.
Finally found the best saddle for my bum and bike fit position with Pro Stealth saddle, seriously no sores or chaffing which makes me confuse on what to do with the leftover chamois cream circa using Power saddle

the question is do you guys stock on your perfect saddle?
for reasons such as, future replacement, future n+1 bikes or, god forbid, they for no reason discontinued that certain saddle line-up (i.e. Romin)
or you just have faith on the bike industry to bring new design and technology for the comfort of your bum, like the Stealth saddle wasn't exist 5 years ago and if I were to stock on Romin I wouldn't even know about this Stealth saddle
Yes.

My perfect saddle is the later model Avocet O2 Air 40R, with the trough. I discovered, when setting up a new bike in 2007, that the company had gone out of business and what seemed to be the only remaining stock was all at Palo Alto Bicycles. So I went there and bought 3 of the 5 they had left, the other 2 being colors I didn't want. Now, as I have started acquiring 1980s bikes for fun, I wish I'd bought more.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-21-21, 01:06 AM
  #10  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Unfortunately I bought most of my favorite saddles at closeout sales ...
Yeah, but they did not become your favorite saddles until long after the closeout sales, right? Hindsight is 20/20.

I too acquired all three of my saddles (2 Ergon SR3 Pro, one white, one black, and an Astvte Starline Pilarga VT, all in 145 mm width) at closeout sales. Luckily it only took a few rides for my bum to get used to the switch from the Ergon to the Astvte.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 09-24-21, 11:03 AM
  #11  
Rhondito
Senior Member
 
Rhondito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 59

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I do. I came across my favorite saddle at a really great price and bought a couple. When I bought a new bike I already had a saddle to put on it.
Rhondito is offline  
Likes For Rhondito:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.