Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Which rental bike should I choose? (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1241305-rental-bike-should-i-choose.html)

Tycho Brahe 10-27-21 10:38 PM

Which rental bike should I choose?
 
Going to Maui basically to ride up Haleakala (35 miles, 10K ft and then back). Not bringing my bike since it is too much of a hassle and my only bike is a bit beat. There are a few options, some are limited by the store hours. Only need the rental of a day and hard to come back by a certain time. Only know what is listed on the site, but will ask more details before renting.

A few options:
  • Scott Addict 20 Disc - $65/day, $55 a day for two days, $50 for three - Best option if I wanted to go for three days.
  • BMC RoadMachine One AXS - $89/day. - Best option for a single 24 hour period.
  • Cannondale - $50/day - undetermined but the site lists carbon, Ultegra components and compact gearing (50/34 front, 11/32 rear). Reverse image search says 2013 CAAD10, but I think the image is old
  • Tarmac Disc SL6 Expert - $100
  • Roubaix Sport - $60/ day
It is a dream ride, so I do not mind spending extra for the right bike, but would love to avoid renting the expensive options on multiple days. Getting back by 3pm might be tough. Might have to eliminate options that do not have compact gearing.

My bike is a Ridley Fenix. Entry level carbon, carbon, relaxed geometry. Do not need to be aero with such a climb!

ooga-booga 10-28-21 02:37 AM

broski, you're going to want the model/rental with the best compact gearing. you've got tons of experience riding looong, 20+ mile climbs
but above 8,000 feet, it's going to be miles of slow scenic altitude suck. can always shift up if you're feeling it. you can only shift down so far.
hardest climb in the world-right? what's another $60-$120 to ensure you're set up as best as you can be to realize a dream?

have fun! that's gonna be a long-*ss descent...

are you bringing your own saddle and pedals?

drewguy 10-28-21 06:55 AM

I haven't done this ride (would like to), but isn't the rec to get an early start so that you're avoiding the daytime heat during the stretch before you hit the real climb? In other words, you probably need two day rental regardless - day before and day of. If it's 24-hour clock presumably mid-afternoon pickup, early morning start, and you're back by the following mid-afternoon.

msu2001la 10-28-21 08:06 AM

BMC Roadmachine One with SRAM AXS is a ridiculously nice bike. The SRAM AXS gearing would give you a very low 1:1 gear option (or lower, depending on which setup?), plus it looks like it's the only bike with electronic shifting of the group.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

njkayaker 10-28-21 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22286504)

A few options:
  • Scott Addict 20 Disc - $65/day, $55 a day for two days, $50 for three - Best option if I wanted to go for three days.
  • BMC RoadMachine One AXS - $89/day. - Best option for a single 24 hour period.
  • Cannondale - $50/day - undetermined but the site lists carbon, Ultegra components and compact gearing (50/34 front, 11/32 rear). Reverse image search says 2013 CAAD10, but I think the image is old
  • Tarmac Disc SL6 Expert - $100
  • Roubaix Sport - $60/ day

The difference between $89 and $110 (for two days) is small enough to not be part of the decision. Given the cost of being able to do the ride, even an extra $100 is moot.

They are all decent bikes (based on just that, it won't matter which you choose).

You probably should prefer having lower gears. And info is missing from most of the options.

Assuming that the others likely have typical gearing (28 in the back), the Cannondale is the best choice.

Tycho Brahe 10-28-21 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22286587)
broski, you're going to want the model/rental with the best compact gearing. you've got tons of experience riding looong, 20+ mile climbs
but above 8,000 feet, it's going to be miles of slow scenic altitude suck. can always shift up if you're feeling it. you can only shift down so far.
hardest climb in the world-right? what's another $60-$120 to ensure you're set up as best as you can be to realize a dream?

have fun! that's gonna be a long-*ss descent...

are you bringing your own saddle and pedals?

I know I have the legs, but it is the altitude and weather are the worrying parts. Rain? What's that? Oynx Peak is the highest we can get, and I will do in once/twice before leaving. Would love to do the long climb to Dawsons Peak, but there is no water now that Newcombs is closed. Rain does worry me a lot. You saw my complaints this summer from not being able to do the routes I wanted to while in Italy.

Not sure if I will do the descent. Depends if the lady friend is willing to meet me and drive down. I want to do it.

Probably yes on pedals if required. No on saddle. Never been picky, although I once purchased a crappy one from Performance Bike that I returned after 3 rides.


Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 22286751)
I haven't done this ride (would like to), but isn't the rec to get an early start so that you're avoiding the daytime heat during the stretch before you hit the real climb? In other words, you probably need two day rental regardless - day before and day of. If it's 24-hour clock presumably mid-afternoon pickup, early morning start, and you're back by the following mid-afternoon.

Will start at daylight. Only two places have 24-hour clocks. Due to timing, those that do not will require 3 day rental, since I need it the day before and need some padding in case I cannot get back by 3 day of ride.


Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22286840)
BMC Roadmachine One with SRAM AXS is a ridiculously nice bike. The SRAM AXS gearing would give you a very low 1:1 gear option (or lower, depending on which setup?), plus it looks like it's the only bike with electronic shifting of the group.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Never used electronic shifting, but let's be honest, this ride will be shifting to the lowest gear and grinding! Occasionally shifting up for some time out of the saddle. Did not even notice that the BMC had electronic shifting. Borrowed a bike with Campagnolo this summer and that was confusing!


Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 22286894)
The difference between $89 and $110 (for two days) is small enough to not be part of the decision. Given the cost of being able to do the ride, even an extra $100 is moot.

They are all decent bikes (based on just that, it won't matter which you choose).

You probably should prefer having lower gears. And info is missing from most of the options.

Assuming that the others likely have typical gearing (28 in the back), the Cannondale is the best choice.

It comes down to 24 hours (only two places) or 3 days. Two days is not feasible. Definitely will exclude mid-compact gearing. As long as it has 30 in back, I should be fine. I do long steep climbs with a 50/34 and a 30 in bike. This climb "only" averages 5%.

Iride01 10-28-21 09:53 AM

I'd agree that you want the bike that will give you the lowest gearing if you are going to be climbing continuously for miles.

I did my first mountain climb a few months ago. A 14'er. I put a 50/34 crank and 11-32 cassette on my bike that is normally 52/36 and 11-30. I was worried that I wouldn't have the high gearing I'd want for the trip down. However turns out I didn't need to pedal much while going down. I was having to slow up to often just to make the switchbacks.

So if you don't normally ride continuously up long grades, then go for something that will let you spin comfortably up to the top.

And the big question shouldn't be which brand of bike, but what are their gearing. And also what position are they made for, a low aero position or a more relaxed upright position.


And good luck, enjoy the views. Maybe get one of those little O2 things to huff on occasionally if you aren't use to high altitudes.

njkayaker 10-28-21 09:56 AM


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22286988)
It comes down to 24 hours (only two places) or 3 days. Two days is not feasible.

Not sure how 24 works but two days doesn't. Pick up the 2 day bike late the prior day.

Oh, it might be possible to negotiate the extra day (so you could bring back the 2-day rental early on the third day).


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22286988)
Definitely will exclude mid-compact gearing. As long as it has 30 in back, I should be fine. I do long steep climbs with a 50/34 and a 30 in bike. This climb only "averages" 5%.

Even then, the ride might end up surprising you. A lower gear you don't use is better than needing/wanting a lower gear you don't have.

Beyond gearing, some degree of cost, and convenience, these are all decent bikes. None of them are going to be really better for this ride than the other. I doubt that the benefits of electronic shifting would show up. (Maybe, you'd consider picking the lightest one but that won't matter much and it's other information you don't have.)

zandoval 10-28-21 10:00 AM

When we were living in Galveston my wife and I noted a couple of tourists with heavy Bostonian ascents working on two brand new Walmart bikes in the Walmart parking lot. The guy needed some help adjusting the tension on his brake set and I was glad to help. Their happy story is they wanted to rent bikes for thier 5 days in Galveston and it was cheaper to buy two bikes over the phone at Walmart and have them waiting for them when they arrived. Of course they had the for-site to bring in a suitable tool box for adjustments at pick up. It was smart thinking and now I wonder... How big of a tool box would I need to do this today?


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dcac8bd63.jpeg
130.00 USD Walmart in Maui... ???

drewguy 10-28-21 10:43 AM

^ Just added 20 lbs extra to haul up 10,000 ft.

Tycho Brahe 10-28-21 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 22287004)
Not sure how 24 works but two days doesn't. Pick up the 2 day bike late the prior day.
Oh, it might be possible to negotiate the extra day (so you could bring back the 2-day rental early on the third day).

Sorry if that part was confusing. Was more interested in the bike and not the rental periods, so I did not elaborate.

The places that rent per 24 hour cycles are also open later, so I can rent from 4:30pm-4:30pm. Done.
The places that rent per day, all close at 3pm. So I can rent at 8am the day before, but getting back by 3pm on the day of the ride would be tough, therefore needs a third day. 7am start, assuming 7 hour ride, means get back down at 2pm, and that is without the car ride back to the shop, which is not near the climb.

njkayaker 10-28-21 11:25 AM


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22287107)
Sorry if that part was confusing. Was more interested in the bike and not the rental periods, so I did not elaborate.

The places that rent per 24 hour cycles are also open later, so I can rent from 4:30pm-4:30pm. Done.
The places that rent per day, all close at 3pm. So I can rent at 8am the day before, but getting back by 3pm on the day of the ride would be tough, therefore needs a third day. 7am start, assuming 7 hour ride, means get back down at 2pm, and that is without the car ride back to the shop, which is not near the climb.

(The difference in closing times is missing information. People are generally going to assume "all things are equal" for information that is missing.)

It's possible that the places with 3:00PM closings would let you bring the bike in early the following day without needing to pay for the extra day.

caloso 10-28-21 11:46 AM

I've done that climb a couple times, once on a rental and once on my own bike. The rental was a Roubaix from West Maui Cycle with a 50-36 compact double. I want to say 12-28 in the back. My own bike was a standard 53-39 with 12-27. Either way, you don't need super low gearing. Nor do you need electronic shifting as you're going to spend the whole day in a few gears. It's a steady 6% to the top and I don't recall anything where I needed a 1:1. It might be nice to have discs if you do the ride down, especially since it can get wet. Biggest hazard on the way down is the tourists on cruisers who get driven to the park entrance and coast down. If you do ride down, either carry a windvest, gloves, and arm/knee warmers or have someone meet you at the top with them.

msu2001la 10-28-21 01:12 PM

People getting hung up on the electronic shifting is cracking me up. Of course no one NEEDS electronic shifting, but it's a cool feature and personally I'd enjoy the opportunity to try out SRAM AXS for a few days. Unless I'm missing something, the BMC Roadmachine One is the top-of-the-line version of that bike. The one on BMC's website is like $12,000 and has SRAM Red and Enve carbon wheels. The other bikes are far more standard spec:
  • Scott Addict 20 Disc - 105 and alloy wheels
  • Cannondale - carbon mystery bike with Ultegra components
  • Tarmac Disc SL6 Expert - Ultegra and alloy wheels
  • Roubaix Sport - 105 and alloy wheels
Any of these bikes would be fine, but I'd probably rule out the Tarmac as the race geometry would be a little rough on me for a 7hr ride. I'd definitely want more info on the Cannondale before considering it. The Roubaix and Addict are lower spec 105. Of course 105 is perfectly capable for this ride, but I'd definitely get the BMC even if only used one gear all day.

Tycho Brahe 10-28-21 01:42 PM

I guess the bigger question is how can I rent a bike for multiple days and convince the girlfriend that she has to vacation without me while I do the West Maui Loop? :foo::winter:

njkayaker 10-28-21 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22287280)
People getting hung up on the electronic shifting is cracking me up. Of course no one NEEDS electronic shifting, but it's a cool feature and personally I'd enjoy the opportunity to try out SRAM AXS for a few days.

No one is "hung up" on the electric shifting.


Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22287280)
The one on BMC's website is like $12,000 and has SRAM Red and Enve carbon wheels. The other bikes are far more standard spec:

https://www.krankmaui.com/product/bm...chine-one-axs/

The one for rent in Hawaii has $500 AL wheels. (The Enve wheels are $2500.)

njkayaker 10-28-21 02:31 PM


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22286504)
  • BMC RoadMachine One AXS - $89/day. - Best option for a single 24 hour period.

According to this:
https://www.krankmaui.com/product/bm...chine-one-axs/

The gearing is:
  • CHAINWHEEL SRAM FORCE AXS 46/33T

  • CASSETTE SRAM FORCE XG-1270, 10-36

​​​​​​​

grizzly59 10-28-21 08:41 PM

The one with the lowest gear.

drewguy 10-29-21 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 22287376)
According to this:
https://www.krankmaui.com/product/bm...chine-one-axs/

The gearing is:
  • CHAINWHEEL SRAM FORCE AXS 46/33T

  • CASSETTE SRAM FORCE XG-1270, 10-36


Seems like adequately low gearing! (Though you may spin out on the descent in 46/10).

Iride01 10-29-21 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 22288031)
Seems like adequately low gearing! (Though you may spin out on the descent in 46/10).

Maybe, but I doubt the OP will have enough energy left to even want to. It's got quite a few switchbacks and no really straight piece of road.
https://pjammcycling.com/climb/7.Haleakala

msu2001la 10-29-21 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 22288031)
Seems like adequately low gearing! (Though you may spin out on the descent in 46/10).

46/10 at 100rpm cadence - 36mph. 120rpm will get you up over 43mph if you're feeling fresh.

Beyond that you will probably need to supertuck to maintain an adequate downhill speed.

PeteHski 10-29-21 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 22287376)
[/list]According to this:
https://www.krankmaui.com/product/bm...chine-one-axs/

The gearing is:
  • CHAINWHEEL SRAM FORCE AXS 46/33T

  • CASSETTE SRAM FORCE XG-1270, 10-36

​​​​​​​

This is ideal gearing for this job. Especially if you prefer a normal cadence rather than a grindfest. But this gearing will cover all your options for the climb.

Tycho Brahe 10-29-21 02:16 PM

The BMC branding is a bit confusing. They have both a Roadmachine 01 ONE and Roadmachine ONE. Is 01 ONE redundant? Nope, different bike. The 01 level is the top of the line.

Best link I can find is https://arcane-brook-43772.herokuapp...hine%20ONE#top

I would definitely be going for the BMC if it was truly the 01 model. At this point, electronic shifting is just added weight.

Looked up the gear ratios, and it looks like I actually would spin out more on my current 50f/11r over the 46f/10r

njkayaker 10-29-21 03:17 PM


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22288643)
The BMC branding is a bit confusing. They have both a Roadmachine 01 ONE and Roadmachine ONE. Is 01 ONE redundant? Nope, different bike. The 01 level is the top of the line.

Best link I can find is https://arcane-brook-43772.herokuapp...hine%20ONE#top

I would definitely be going for the BMC if it was truly the 01 model. At this point, electronic shifting is just added weight.

Different years (probably).

The "BMC ROADMACHINE ONE AXS" (the one for rent) appears to be a 2021 model (the rental site has a link to the specifications).

https://www.bike24.com/p2386349.html

Presumably, the BMC website is showing 2022 models.

The base model name is "Roadmachine 01". Then, there are sub models ("one", "two", "three", "four", "five").

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us_e...admachine.html


Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 22288643)
Looked up the gear ratios, and it looks like I actually would spin out more on my current 50f/11r over the 46f/10r

By about 0.4 MPH at 100 RPM.

=================================

The 2021 "BMC ROADMACHINE ONE AXS" is (was) a $5300 bike.

https://99spokes.com/bikes/bmc/2021/roadmachine-one

Renting a $12,000 bike (the 2022 "BMC 01 One") doesn't make a whole lot of sense (not sure why people's eyebrows didn't raise with that price).

Tycho Brahe 10-29-21 03:33 PM


Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 22288696)
Different years (probably).

The "BMC ROADMACHINE ONE AXS" (the one for rent) appears to be a 2021 model (the rental site has a link to the specifications).

https://www.bike24.com/p2386349.html

Presumably, the BMC website is showing 2022 models.

The link above, https://arcane-brook-43772.herokuapp...hine%20ONE#top , is from BMC's website, under their Bike Archive https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us_en/archive. Is it not written, but it is the 2021 model.


The base model name is "Roadmachine 01". Then, there are sub models ("one", "two", "three", "four", "five").
Confusing naming and confusing site. That page has both the Roadmachine 01 (ONE-FIVE) on top and Roadmachine (ONE-FIVE) if you scroll down. Still, this "lower end" BMC should still be better than the other bikes for rent. Question is, is better worth it? More for speed, it would be more a question of comfort, but a good fit is a better bet than a better bike.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.