Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New saddle time (again)

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

New saddle time (again)

Old 02-02-22, 10:13 AM
  #1  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
New saddle time (again)

Well after quite a few years of scouring for saddles only to come back to my favorite Specialized Toupe with carbon rails circa 2014 or so I was forced back into the market.

the toupe shape had changed in the past few years and no longer worked and my last one found via eBay gave up the ghost. Went back to my spares no buenoÖ

based on feedback from riding friends I tried the Most Lynx, semi stubby really didnít get along with my thighs and had some nerve pain that went tingling down my legs, that shape just didnít work. Then went on to the Fitzik Antares Evo, the 3D printed one, pretty cool and almost kind of worked, I just think I need a flatter shape perhaps. Each of the saddles I used for between 2-4 weeks, at least a few hundred miles each.

finally bit the bullet, I like the idea and the feel of the 3D printed stuff, and ordered the atrociously priced new S-Works Romin Mirror in 143mm, got it at least with a 15% off discount through Spec during the very brief moment when they were back in stock. My LBS couldnít get it and they are currently out of both sizes so guess I got lucky.

At any rate, only 3 rides in so far and nothing over 40 miles yet but so far so wonderful. I hate the idea of spending so much on a saddle but heck if it lasts 5+ years and is comfortable throughout then so be it.

one thing about Specialized that Iíve always felt is that they have absolutely nailed the contact points. All my shoe trials and saddles I always seem to come back to Specialized



robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-02-22, 10:21 AM
  #2  
oris
I like speed
 
oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 210

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 56 Posts
How's the padding feel overall vs. the Toupe? I had a Toupe for a while too and appreciated how flat the profile is.

Also post more pics of the Speedvagen!
oris is offline  
Old 02-02-22, 10:31 AM
  #3  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by oris View Post
How's the padding feel overall vs. the Toupe? I had a Toupe for a while too and appreciated how flat the profile is.

Also post more pics of the Speedvagen!
It feels a little more padded in certain areas like the wings and outer profile than my last Toupe (keep in mind that the older ones actually had somewhat different padding and profiles depending on the level, i.e. the S-Works version with the carbon rails actually had a bit more of a soft feel than the one with steel rails). But the cool think about the 3d print I suppose is that the "padding" changes composition in selected areas.

Lol, lots of pics of my SV on this forum including the initial build thread and bike wash porn! Note that the wheels have been changed back to 46mm depth carbon from the ones in the bike wash porn thread, the other wheels are now on the vintage DeRosa

Trigger has been pulled, Speedvagen ordered!

Bike wash porn
robbyville is offline  
Old 02-02-22, 10:56 AM
  #4  
hayden52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
I was in a similar situation, where my Specialized Toupe's shell cracked. I went with the Romin, non-evo model. I was wary of spending $500 on a saddle and have it break after a year.......
hayden52 is offline  
Old 02-02-22, 11:04 AM
  #5  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,584

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 535 Posts
I rode the Toupe family for years. I probably started a few threads about them on here. Avatar, Alias, and Toupe. Alias was one of my favorite for sure. All in 143. I noticed the same as you that when they changed the toupe - around like 2014 or a little after - that it just didn't work for me anymore. They introduced the Romin and while it started nice it just didn't work for me longer term. I left and went to a Cobb saddle because I am surrounded by triathletes and fitters who swear by short nosed saddles. I fell in love with their fifty-five after I got through the "getting used to it" stage. I wanted to come back to a "standard" saddle so bad though mainly because of cost and looks (I'll say it). Really wanted to try the Specialized Power saddle. Ended up getting one and I ran it for a season. I liked it more than the Romin but noticed I needed to ride it fairly "nose-up" - a bit too much for my liking. Ended up just going all in on the Fifty-five. I think I have like 8 now and usually pick them up on ebay when I can.

Why say all this on your Romin thread? Meh. Saddles work for the people they work for. People liking a particular saddle family (in this case Toupe) can end up being split down the roads because other saddles or changes affect everyone slightly differently. Just want to put some other information on your thread so that anyone who is experiencing the same issues, tries the Romin and it just doesn't work for them, knows there are other models they can look into as well.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-02-22, 11:13 AM
  #6  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,280 Times in 4,595 Posts
Heh. I went through the same thing with the Toupe - it was great, but then it just didn't work for me any more (in addition, I had a couple of shells snap at the skinny bit, between the edge and the cut-out, just before it flairs out). I ended up on a Shimano/PRO Stealth - another snub-nosed, wide cut-out saddle. It's been great, but I have been curious about the 3D printed Power saddle that's similarly shaped to my PRO. If I had a couple whiskeys in me and saw one on sale, I might pull the trigger.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-02-22, 11:35 AM
  #7  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
I rode the Toupe family for years. I probably started a few threads about them on here. Avatar, Alias, and Toupe. Alias was one of my favorite for sure. All in 143. I noticed the same as you that when they changed the toupe - around like 2014 or a little after - that it just didn't work for me anymore. They introduced the Romin and while it started nice it just didn't work for me longer term. I left and went to a Cobb saddle because I am surrounded by triathletes and fitters who swear by short nosed saddles. I fell in love with their fifty-five after I got through the "getting used to it" stage. I wanted to come back to a "standard" saddle so bad though mainly because of cost and looks (I'll say it). Really wanted to try the Specialized Power saddle. Ended up getting one and I ran it for a season. I liked it more than the Romin but noticed I needed to ride it fairly "nose-up" - a bit too much for my liking. Ended up just going all in on the Fifty-five. I think I have like 8 now and usually pick them up on ebay when I can.

Why say all this on your Romin thread? Meh. Saddles work for the people they work for. People liking a particular saddle family (in this case Toupe) can end up being split down the roads because other saddles or changes affect everyone slightly differently. Just want to put some other information on your thread so that anyone who is experiencing the same issues, tries the Romin and it just doesn't work for them, knows there are other models they can look into as well.
thanks so much, I always appreciate your feedback and well thought out comments! I absolutely agree about the differences from one saddle to another. Iíve never tried the Power but did try the pro stealth version that whyfi mentions above and of course the one by Most which I believe may be manufactured by Selle Italia, the width of the nose definitely bothered me.

Whyfi, did I send you the Stealth? I know I swapped with someone on this board.

the Infinity saddle was also one of my faves and very cool concept in how itís completely open, I also enjoyed my fitting with the creator but in the end the large width supporting the glutes didnít agree with me on shorter rides and dare I say it, the aesthetics of the saddle really bothered me on the SV.

Iím hoping this one is a keeper

Last edited by robbyville; 02-02-22 at 02:40 PM.
robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-02-22, 12:30 PM
  #8  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,280 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Whyfi, did I send you the Stealth? I know I swapped with someone on this board.
Nope, not me!
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-02-22, 10:22 PM
  #9  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by hayden52 View Post
I was in a similar situation, where my Specialized Toupe's shell cracked. I went with the Romin, non-evo model. I was wary of spending $500 on a saddle and have it break after a year.......
I hear that, I figure that pretty much every saddle Iíve had has lasted multiple years and that the methodology of binding rails to shell and such is pretty much a standard at this point so willing to take the risk.
robbyville is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 04:54 AM
  #10  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
I wanted to come back to a "standard" saddle so bad though mainly because of cost and looks (I'll say it).
Having just looked at the Cobb I can now fully understand your comment!
PeteHski is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 08:27 AM
  #11  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,928

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 380 Posts
SMP saddles for me. They make many models. They have some sizing guidelines. They assume that larger riders are wider in the crotch. The narrow stratos was suggested for me and it worked.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/professional.html
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 02-04-22, 11:50 AM
  #12  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,584

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Having just looked at the Cobb I can now fully understand your comment!
Yeah it inevitably draws attention. Next thing you know we're talking about my crotch and things get needlessly awkward.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 02-04-22, 11:59 AM
  #13  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,280 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Yeah it inevitably draws attention. Next thing you know we're talking about my crotch and things get needlessly awkward.
With guys like Phil Gaimon flogging for ISM, which don't look too dissimilar from Cobb designs, IIRC, I would think that others might be more open-minded about them now, no?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-05-22, 08:05 AM
  #14  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
With guys like Phil Gaimon flogging for ISM, which don't look too dissimilar from Cobb designs, IIRC, I would think that others might be more open-minded about them now, no?
I would think so too. Tons of folks in our various groups rocking the snub nosed saddles. Still, some of those ISMís are such a turn off aesthetically that I have to admit that I was less prone to even give one a tryÖ
robbyville is offline  
Old 02-06-22, 07:14 AM
  #15  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
I would think so too. Tons of folks in our various groups rocking the snub nosed saddles. Still, some of those ISMís are such a turn off aesthetically that I have to admit that I was less prone to even give one a tryÖ
I think it's a case of "needs must". Nobody is going to choose one based on looks and they are seriously heavy too.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 02-06-22, 07:45 AM
  #16  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
I think it's a case of "needs must". Nobody is going to choose one based on looks and they are seriously heavy too.
True indeed! Had my fourth ride a slow to start and quick from middle to end 50 miler and all good. Hopefully this is the one. Next week I have a 70 on Saturday with the usual fast club rides on Tuesday and Thursday
robbyville is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.