Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless doesn't work on Fulcrum racing 900 rim

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless doesn't work on Fulcrum racing 900 rim

Old 04-09-22, 05:45 AM
  #1  
mikethe
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless doesn't work on Fulcrum racing 900 rim

Hi,
I used good tubeless conversion kit, tires, watched all the how to's and did the job pretty carefully and thoroughly.
However, after inflation, it slowly runs out flat after 2-3 hours.
Inspecting I can't see distinct places of leakage.
So, I wonder - Can it be that actually the Fulcrum racing 900 rim brakes version, can't be converted to tubeless?
Thanks,
mikethe is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 06:12 AM
  #2  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,049
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,941 Posts
Originally Posted by mikethe View Post
Hi,
I used good tubeless conversion kit, tires, watched all the how to's and did the job pretty carefully and thoroughly.
However, after inflation, it slowly runs out flat after 2-3 hours.
Inspecting I can't see distinct places of leakage.
So, I wonder - Can it be that actually the Fulcrum racing 900 rim brakes version, can't be converted to tubeless?
Thanks,
Yes, this is correct. https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/sup...-en/racing-900
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-09-22, 07:17 AM
  #3  
vespasianus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 499

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 139 Posts
I would NEVER recommend using a rim not designed for road tubeless for road tubeless - even using tubeless road tires.

Trying to convert a non tubeless rim to tubeless is a recipe for absolute disaster.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 08:23 AM
  #4  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,245

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19698 Post(s)
Liked 8,204 Times in 4,137 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I would NEVER recommend using a rim not designed for road tubeless for road tubeless - even using tubeless road tires.

Trying to convert a non tubeless rim to tubeless is a recipe for absolute disaster.
For the most part, I'd agree with you, but it really depends on why the wheel isn't designated for tubeless use.

If the rim doesn't have the correct tubeless rim bed profile, I'd agree with you 100% - don't do it.

However, I have wheels that *do* have a tubeless profile but aren't designated as being tubeless ready, by the manufacturer, only because the seam isn't welded and airtight. In this case, I was just careful with the rim tape width and application - they mounted and sealed up just dandy and have been problem-free for six years or so.

So yeah, for the most part, I wouldn't advocate conversion, but there are some odd cases where the knowledgeable can use their judgement.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-22, 10:26 AM
  #5  
mikethe
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
For the most part, I'd agree with you, but it really depends on why the wheel isn't designated for tubeless use.

If the rim doesn't have the correct tubeless rim bed profile, I'd agree with you 100% - don't do it.

However, I have wheels that *do* have a tubeless profile but aren't designated as being tubeless ready, by the manufacturer, only because the seam isn't welded and airtight. In this case, I was just careful with the rim tape width and application - they mounted and sealed up just dandy and have been problem-free for six years or so.

So yeah, for the most part, I wouldn't advocate conversion, but there are some odd cases where the knowledgeable can use their judgement.
So that was my problem: I mistakenly assumed "to be ready" means only taping.
Aftermath, I can tell that "generally" speaking a tubeless tire fitted flawlessly, but probably that's not enough for actual "correct tubeless rim bed profile".
Practically, I can tell, I was able to ride up to 60km/h incl. cornering-that indeed fell strange (but I assumed maybe new tires etc.), but in the end, yeah, after 3 hours slowly flat tire...
mikethe is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 11:01 AM
  #6  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,245

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19698 Post(s)
Liked 8,204 Times in 4,137 Posts
Originally Posted by mikethe View Post
So that was my problem: I mistakenly assumed "to be ready" means only taping.
Aftermath, I can tell that "generally" speaking a tubeless tire fitted flawlessly, but probably that's not enough for actual "correct tubeless rim bed profile".
Practically, I can tell, I was able to ride up to 60km/h incl. cornering-that indeed fell strange (but I assumed maybe new tires etc.), but in the end, yeah, after 3 hours slowly flat tire...
This is what the rim profile should look like -



Most tubeless rims will also have a little bead retaining bump/ridge on the inside portion of the "bead shelf," next to the dropped center channel.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 11:59 AM
  #7  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,049
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,941 Posts
In the specific case of these wheels, the Fulcrum description of "Tyre Type" is "Clincher." For the disc version, Racing 900DB, "Tyre Type" is shown as "2-Way Fit Ready (for clincher and tubeless ready."
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 12:54 PM
  #8  
mikethe
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
In the specific case of these wheels, the Fulcrum description of "Tyre Type" is "Clincher." For the disc version, Racing 900DB, "Tyre Type" is shown as "2-Way Fit Ready (for clincher and tubeless ready."
Yes-that's exactly the confusing part: There is a description for the DB version, but none for the RB version. So I simply assumed it's the same as for the DB version.
mikethe is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 12:59 PM
  #9  
mikethe
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
This is what the rim profile should look like -



Most tubeless rims will also have a little bead retaining bump/ridge on the inside portion of the "bead shelf," next to the dropped center channel.
Now we are talking: Yep, mine is actually the right one - with the dropped channel.
So what's going on here? Might be something else preventing from being ready for tubeless conversion?
mikethe is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 02:08 PM
  #10  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,049
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,941 Posts
Originally Posted by mikethe View Post
Yes-that's exactly the confusing part: There is a description for the DB version, but none for the RB version. So I simply assumed it's the same as for the DB version.
The link in post #2 goes directly to the description of the rim brake version.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 03:04 PM
  #11  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,245

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19698 Post(s)
Liked 8,204 Times in 4,137 Posts
Originally Posted by mikethe View Post
Now we are talking: Yep, mine is actually the right one - with the dropped channel.
So what's going on here? Might be something else preventing from being ready for tubeless conversion?
Hard to say - you'd have to see if you can get an answer out of the manufacturer. Not sure how easy that would be with Fulcrum. It may be that, like my wheels that I'd previously mentioned, the seam wasn't welded, as a cost-saving measure, and so it's not as airtight as they'd like.
WhyFi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.