Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000 28mm pressures you run?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000 28mm pressures you run?

Old 05-14-22, 03:53 PM
  #26  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,932

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19594 Post(s)
Liked 6,245 Times in 3,024 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I weigh 260 and run a 25mm gpk at 140 psi. honestly as long as you arent getting pinch flats ride whatever works for you
You are doing it wrong.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-14-22, 05:10 PM
  #27  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,045

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7337 Post(s)
Liked 7,799 Times in 3,973 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You are doing it wrong.
At 140 psi, you might as well be running Armadillos.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 05:12 PM
  #28  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 239 Posts
The rider weight is important.. most of the tests are done with smaller riders. Also there is the financial aspect, the UCI has been compromised for decades and Big Gravel isn't much better. it's not like it will fail putting 40 extra psi of pressure in the tire... you could run 23s at 200 probably? The hard tire gives a harsher ride that feels faster even if it isn't which some people enjoy. A bike shop owner told me they overinflate tires for test rides for this reason, makes the bike feel fast.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-14-22 at 07:58 PM.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 05:14 PM
  #29  
KJ43
Dead but dreaming
 
KJ43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA (Peninsula)
Posts: 354

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Big Gravel.
KJ43 is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 07:02 PM
  #30  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,045

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7337 Post(s)
Liked 7,799 Times in 3,973 Posts
So, they aren't any faster, but they FEEL faster?

It's not just the harsher ride. They also handle worse. Instead of absorbing lumpy pavement in corners, they'll hop, and with all that centrifugal force, they'll hop sideways. You were asking about how to corner faster? That ain't how.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 07:37 PM
  #31  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18880 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Not sure exactly what tire you are running but many continental tires have a max pressure of 120 psi (or less). Might want to move to a wider tire.
The rule I've used is ignore the pressure rating on the tire, obey the one on the rim.

For the OP, I run 70 to 80 psi @ 28 mm depending on the day and what I'll be riding on.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 12:55 AM
  #32  
Symox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 651

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts
Yeah I just like rear tire higher psi

I am gravitating to 85psi rear and 65 front
guess I just got used to it
Symox is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 07:22 AM
  #33  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,122

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
So, they aren't any faster, but they FEEL faster?

It's not just the harsher ride. They also handle worse. Instead of absorbing lumpy pavement in corners, they'll hop, and with all that centrifugal force, they'll hop sideways. You were asking about how to corner faster? That ain't how.
You're missing the point. All that you say is true, but those factors are all contributing to the excitement of bike riding that is lacking with more mundane pressures.
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-15-22, 02:38 PM
  #34  
vespasianus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 621

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
The rider weight is important.. most of the tests are done with smaller riders. Also there is the financial aspect, the UCI has been compromised for decades and Big Gravel isn't much better. it's not like it will fail putting 40 extra psi of pressure in the tire... you could run 23s at 200 probably? The hard tire gives a harsher ride that feels faster even if it isn't which some people enjoy. A bike shop owner told me they overinflate tires for test rides for this reason, makes the bike feel fast.
For some tires, yes, yes it will. Riding tires way over inflated will dramatically shorten the life span of the tire and could lead to a major issue.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
The rule I've used is ignore the pressure rating on the tire, obey the one on the rim.

For the OP, I run 70 to 80 psi @ 28 mm depending on the day and what I'll be riding on.
Again, you have to listen to both. When Challenge says the max pressure in their tire is 50 PSI, use 50 PSI max.

There are nuances to these of course but making these statements as fact is dangerous and could get people injured.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 02:52 PM
  #35  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,163

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,363 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You are doing it wrong.
I dunno if I'd go that far. If Larry and his bike together weigh about 285 lbs, plugging that into the 15% drop calculator gives 130 psi for 25mm tires. He's only a bit north of that.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 02:59 PM
  #36  
vespasianus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 621

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I dunno if I'd go that far. If Larry and his bike together weigh about 285 lbs, plugging that into the 15% drop calculator gives 130 psi for 25mm tires. He's only a bit north of that.
Which is a sign that he should not be using 25mm tires.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 03:02 PM
  #37  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,163

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,363 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Which is a sign that he should not be using 25mm tires.
It wouldn't be my choice either, but I've seen bigger people use smaller tires.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 03:36 PM
  #38  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,932

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19594 Post(s)
Liked 6,245 Times in 3,024 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I dunno if I'd go that far. If Larry and his bike together weigh about 285 lbs, plugging that into the 15% drop calculator gives 130 psi for 25mm tires. He's only a bit north of that.
If he asked me, of course I would suggest 28 but even at his weight he would likely do well at 100-105F and 110-115R. 140 is way too high. And the 15% drop rule is arbitrary, I am not an expert but pretty sure there is no science to that versus 18% or 12%. It’s a round number.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 03:46 PM
  #39  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,163

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,363 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
If he asked me, of course I would suggest 28 but even at his weight he would likely do well at 100-105F and 110-115R. 140 is way too high. And the 15% drop rule is arbitrary, I am not an expert but pretty sure there is no science to that versus 18% or 12%. It’s a round number.
Sure, 15% drop is arbitrary, and max inflation pressures have some margin around them. That's what makes it futile to boil this down to "right" or "wrong". If the tire doesn't blow off or wear funny, it works.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 03:59 PM
  #40  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,122

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I dunno if I'd go that far. If Larry and his bike together weigh about 285 lbs, plugging that into the 15% drop calculator gives 130 psi for 25mm tires. He's only a bit north of that.
You don't even need a calculator, just the ole charts. 285lbs @55% rear weighting, 25mm tire..
Maybe why Vittoria Corsas have 145psi max on their sidewalls.

Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-15-22, 10:57 PM
  #41  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,045

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7337 Post(s)
Liked 7,799 Times in 3,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
You don't even need a calculator, just the ole charts. 285lbs @55% rear weighting, 25mm tire..
Maybe why Vittoria Corsas have 145psi max on their sidewalls.

Larry ain't even on the chart. Hell, I ain't even on the chart and I weigh 60# less!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 05:39 AM
  #42  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,122

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Larry ain't even on the chart. Hell, I ain't even on the chart and I weigh 60# less!
Those weights are PER wheel, not overall bike weight.
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-16-22, 07:41 PM
  #43  
Symox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 651

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts
Wow

Reduced pressure by 5psi per tire and was surprised how much more comfortable and less bouncy on rough roads it was for downhills.

latest setting is 75 psi rear 60 psi front for 28mm GP5000

(at least on the rear tire) I felt 70 psi was too squishy and 80 bounced a bit on rough roads doing fast descents. Really surprised
Symox is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 07:51 PM
  #44  
scottfsmith
I like bike
 
scottfsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Merry Land USA
Posts: 575

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 159 Posts
I am close to you (weight, bike model, tire model) and am at a similar spot on pressures as where you are at now. I run them a bit less in wet conditions.
scottfsmith is offline  
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 05-16-22, 11:32 PM
  #45  
Symox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 651

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith View Post
I am close to you (weight, bike model, tire model) and am at a similar spot on pressures as where you are at now. I run them a bit less in wet conditions.
that is very reassuring- thanks
Symox is offline  
Old 05-17-22, 04:58 AM
  #46  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,122

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox View Post
Reduced pressure by 5psi per tire and was surprised how much more comfortable and less bouncy on rough roads it was for downhills.

latest setting is 75 psi rear 60 psi front for 28mm GP5000

(at least on the rear tire) I felt 70 psi was too squishy and 80 bounced a bit on rough roads doing fast descents. Really surprised
I don't know if I find it humorous or what, but you're pretty much matching the Berto graph chart a couple posts up for a 45/55% F/R split on your total weight.

What is tangentially interesting is how most everyone might suggest that the LarryS scenario of 140psi in 25s is way too much, but this same chart also says that's correct. What would cause the Berto vs "Modern" models to incrementally diverge further apart from one another at higher rider+bike weights?

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-17-22 at 05:01 AM.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 05-17-22, 06:50 AM
  #47  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox View Post
Reduced pressure by 5psi per tire and was surprised how much more comfortable and less bouncy on rough roads it was for downhills.

latest setting is 75 psi rear 60 psi front for 28mm GP5000

(at least on the rear tire) I felt 70 psi was too squishy and 80 bounced a bit on rough roads doing fast descents. Really surprised
I saw your previous posts, and was going to suggest a gradual change to any new pressures. For instance, go from 80 to 75 instead of 80 to 70. It takes a few rides to have the new pressures feel normal instead of weird.

It's interesting how many of the riders in this thread are using similar pressures, or scaled similarly to their different weights.

At 170 pounds, I was using 65 and 72-75 psi. Now, it's usually 70-72 and 78-80.
rm -rf is offline  
Old 05-18-22, 12:41 AM
  #48  
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Española, NM
Posts: 511

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 207 Posts
I weigh 220 lbs, and am running my 28s (different brand) at 80/85 psi f/r
Fredo76 is online now  
Old 05-18-22, 09:39 AM
  #49  
vespasianus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 621

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
I don't know if I find it humorous or what, but you're pretty much matching the Berto graph chart a couple posts up for a 45/55% F/R split on your total weight.

What is tangentially interesting is how most everyone might suggest that the LarryS scenario of 140psi in 25s is way too much, but this same chart also says that's correct. What would cause the Berto vs "Modern" models to incrementally diverge further apart from one another at higher rider+bike weights?
They are a different brand of tires.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 05-18-22, 04:18 PM
  #50  
Silver Steve
Newbie
 
Silver Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 57

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I find the Silca calculator to be pretty spot on.
Silver Steve is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.