Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keep getting dropped

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keep getting dropped

Old 08-05-22, 12:39 PM
  #26  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
there is no invitation, and yeah they all know me. Sometimes a few of them get salty and try to bully me if I don't have a helmet but I try to bring one so its not often a problem. Its not one of those weird clubs with wavers and rules and freds who come out on the weekend.
Guy who keeps getting dropped calls other riders 'freds'.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 12:56 PM
  #27  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 949 Posts
You are fat, about 120 kg IIRC. I am fat and old, almost 100 Kg. Let's say my FTP for arguments sake is 350 watts. All is fine and dandy on the flats or rolling terrain, but when the road tilts up, you are with 4-5 to maybe 5 W/Kg riders. You and I get smoked. It is kind of simple, really. I need to lose 20 Kg and 40 years, you just need to lose 40 Kg.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-05-22, 01:06 PM
  #28  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,889

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19558 Post(s)
Liked 6,222 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
how bizarre. I can't imagine how that could happen.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-05-22, 01:20 PM
  #29  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,006
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16560 Post(s)
Liked 11,476 Times in 5,544 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Im not a great cyclist by any means but im decent
Being a decent cyclist entails not riding topless.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 01:23 PM
  #30  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,006
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16560 Post(s)
Liked 11,476 Times in 5,544 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Weren't you just talking smack in another thread about how great and strong you are as a cyclist?
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive"--Sir Walter Scott
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-05-22, 01:24 PM
  #31  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
To be fair, this may still be true, even if it's only very briefly.
Exactly. I mean, if they show up as a FlyBy on Strava, it must be true!
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-05-22, 01:27 PM
  #32  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,006
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16560 Post(s)
Liked 11,476 Times in 5,544 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Its not one of those weird clubs with wavers and rules and freds who come out on the weekend.
Sounds like a rude group.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-05-22, 01:29 PM
  #33  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,892
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 1,197 Posts
OP also should check into a better cell phone service provider.
seypat is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 01:50 PM
  #34  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
there is no invitation, and yeah they all know me. Sometimes a few of them get salty and try to bully me if I don't have a helmet but I try to bring one so its not often a problem. Its not one of those weird clubs with wavers and rules and freds who come out on the weekend.
Clubs have rules and waivers so that randos showing up and maybe causing accidents don't put them in legal liability. Rides that don't have rules and waivers often lack a designated leader or club affiliation, so that there's nobody to sue if there's an accident and someone is badly hurt. You may think it's weird to have rules and waivers, but if somebody wipes out midpack and takes a lot of riders down at 30 mph there could be serious injuries.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-22, 01:56 PM
  #35  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Clubs have rules and waivers so that randos showing up and maybe causing accidents don't put them in legal liability. Rides that don't have rules and waivers often lack a designated leader or club affiliation, so that there's nobody to sue if there's an accident and someone is badly hurt. You may think it's weird to have rules and waivers, but if somebody wipes out midpack and takes a lot of riders down at 30 mph there could be serious injuries.
'specially if they entertain under the influence randos with wobbly wheels, poor brakes, home brew aero bars, etc

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-05-22 at 03:44 PM.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-05-22, 02:06 PM
  #36  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 21,357
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked 5,498 Times in 2,818 Posts
I sympathize with Larry here, it's the story of my cycling life. I've done thousands of group rides, most of them with faster riders or the "A" group. I joined a local club in 1989 because a friend did. He was a lot faster and befriended the faster riders, so I wanted to ride with them. I was about 230# so even when I did 12K miles in a year, I still got dropped on the climbs.
If you become friends with faster riders they will watch out for you and even wait sometimes. When I was pretty strong I could pull on the flats but all rides here involve climbing. Now that I'm old and decrepit when I go out there they still have to wait but I am happy to not be last.
big john is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 02:09 PM
  #37  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I sympathize with Larry here, it's the story of my cycling life. I've done thousands of group rides, most of them with faster riders or the "A" group. I joined a local club in 1989 because a friend did. He was a lot faster and befriended the faster riders, so I wanted to ride with them. I was about 230# so even when I did 12K miles in a year, I still got dropped on the climbs.
If you become friends with faster riders they will watch out for you and even wait sometimes. When I was pretty strong I could pull on the flats but all rides here involve climbing. Now that I'm old and decrepit when I go out there they still have to wait but I am happy to not be last.
I wonder if part of the problem is not riding with them from the start? If you're just riding along and a fast group rolls by you at speed, you SHOULD BE waiting till they pass before trying to join them so as not to disrupt them, but that means a sudden acceleration to catch on, which might be hard to time, and if you miss it you're just a single rider trying to catch the train.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 02:24 PM
  #38  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 21,357
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked 5,498 Times in 2,818 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
I wonder if part of the problem is not riding with them from the start? If you're just riding along and a fast group rolls by you at speed, you SHOULD BE waiting till they pass before trying to join them so as not to disrupt them, but that means a sudden acceleration to catch on, which might be hard to time, and if you miss it you're just a single rider trying to catch the train.
True. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Say he got a little serious, lost a little weight, joined at the start and tried to blend with the group.He'd still get dropped on climbs.
big john is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 02:24 PM
  #39  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,163
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3031 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,019 Posts
Larry's lucky he rides in tolerant CA and only gets dropped. If he pulled his stunts here we'd have him in the ditch before he could say "Jack Daniels."
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-05-22, 02:28 PM
  #40  
Bald Paul
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 489 Posts
The fast group always leaves me behind when I stop to check dumpsters for booze.
Bald Paul is offline  
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-05-22, 02:28 PM
  #41  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,889

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19558 Post(s)
Liked 6,222 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Larry's lucky he rides in tolerant CA and only gets dropped. If he pulled his stunts here we'd have him in the ditch before he could say "Jack Daniels."
Like this?

#TeamCinzano


__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-05-22, 02:32 PM
  #42  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
True. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Say he got a little serious, lost a little weight, joined at the start and tried to blend with the group.He'd still get dropped on climbs.
Yup. I remember the day I hung with the racer group for 19 miles, till we hit 0.25 mile of > 6% gradient, and suddenly it was like I was going backwards as they just disappeared over the top.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 02:45 PM
  #43  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6817 Post(s)
Liked 4,270 Times in 2,327 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Larry's lucky he rides in tolerant CA and only gets dropped. If he pulled his stunts here we'd have him in the ditch before he could say "Jack Daniels."
With banjo music playin, no doubt.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 02:45 PM
  #44  
Bob Ross
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,345

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I was on the side of the road smoking weed and had to put my stuff away
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: BF never fails to deliver!
Bob Ross is offline  
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 08-05-22, 02:46 PM
  #45  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6817 Post(s)
Liked 4,270 Times in 2,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
The fast group always leaves me behind when I stop to check dumpsters for booze.
The fast groups get to the good dumpsters before I do.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 03:35 PM
  #46  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,767

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I gained time on the group chasing them on canada and going down alpine but it wasn't enough to close the gap and catch the draft. On canada I was on the side of the road smoking weed and had to put my stuff away and on alpine they were up the road and I chased a long time, I thought I was going to catch them for a bit there
Jesus, how long do you spend trying to come up w/ the most trollish threads possible?
cxwrench is offline  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-05-22, 04:06 PM
  #47  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
If there's a fire started along Cañada by some clown carelessly tossing away a lit joint, I'mma chase Larry down and kick his ass.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-22, 04:14 PM
  #48  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,110

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 1,320 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Heck no.. Indiana is the most brutal and uncaring possible environment (or so I hear)...
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 04:26 PM
  #49  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,008

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 1,425 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I gained time on the group chasing them on canada (sic) and going down alpine but it wasn't enough to close the gap and catch the draft. On canada I was on the side of the road smoking weed and had to put my stuff away and on alpine they were up the road and I chased a long time, I thought I was going to catch them for a bit there
So you solo chased a fast group on Cañada, Portola, then downhill on Alpine, and you almost caught them?

Sure you did, Walter Mitty.

An old ride buddy, now retired and moved away, used to train by intentionally riding 50 meters behind the Noon Ride. He was very fast. Give it a try, Walter.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 04:30 PM
  #50  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,936

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7268 Post(s)
Liked 7,745 Times in 3,947 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
So you solo chased a fast group on Cañada, Portola, then downhill on Alpine, and you almost caught them?

Sure you did, Walter Mitty.

An old ride buddy, now retired and moved away, used to train by intentionally riding 50 meters behind the Noon Ride. He was very fast. Give it a try, Walter.
Oh, I believe he might have been gaining on them. Briefly, pushing more watts than he could sustain for more than a minute or so.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.