Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone muck about with reprogramming shift levers in Di2?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone muck about with reprogramming shift levers in Di2?

Old 08-10-22, 12:56 PM
  #1  
roadie276
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone muck about with reprogramming shift levers in Di2?

I noticed the Di2 shift lever functions are completely remappable using the Shimano E-Tube app, at least for the new 12 speed Di2. I'm curious if anyone ever tried something other than the traditional shifter configuration? Cool that you can do that, even if it's not necessarily useful for the average person. : )
roadie276 is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 01:08 PM
  #2  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 1,250 Times in 706 Posts
Doing it right now on a bike I am building up.

This is a useful website:
https://bettershifting.com/di2-e-tub...and-downloads/
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 01:32 PM
  #3  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5293 Post(s)
Liked 7,874 Times in 3,413 Posts
After using STI levers for 16 years, I wanted my then-new Di2 bike to shift in the same manner -- so I did not get creative with the programming. I'll bet virtually all Di2 users stick with the standard configuration. On the other hand, I have used the top-of-hood auxiliary buttons for a couple different purposes over the years -- at first they were secondary rd shifters (left button UP the cassette, right button DOWN the cassette), but now they are programmed to flip the page on my computer screen.
Koyote is online now  
Old 08-10-22, 01:46 PM
  #4  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 148 Posts
I set my Di2 (11sp) so that I only shift the right lever. I never use the left one.
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 01:50 PM
  #5  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 5,747

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 682 Posts
Thinking about it. I have an 1X XT system on a my hard tail, with a SRAM 1X system on my FS. The SRAM levers operate the reverse of how Shimano works, but I know I can swap the action in E-Tube for my HT. Might do it this fall when I ride these bikes more often.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 02:21 PM
  #6  
Iride01 
MotuekaCascadeChinook
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,440

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 2,191 Posts
I use use the right shifter almost exclusively. However the one or two times during every ride I want to get immediately to the big or small ring with out going through the cogs on the rear just makes it hard to want to have the paddles on the left shifter do anything else.

With the buttons underneath the top of the hoods that you can assign to control your Garmin or other device if you have D-fly for your 11 speed or less Di2, I haven't even seen a need for any other things to re-assign the left shifter to.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 02:27 PM
  #7  
popeye
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 1,906

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 102 Posts
Right side normal up and down but left lever shifts to big ring and button cassette down. Top buttons Garmin.
popeye is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 04:21 PM
  #8  
tempocyclist
Full Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 481

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 182 Posts
I have programmed the top "hidden hood" buttons to shift the rear derailleur in either direction, but in all honestly I rarely use them. I should get the wireless module so I can flip Garmin pages.

My time trial bike is in "full syncro" mode, so the buttons only shift up or down the gear range, the front derailleur is completely controlled by the Di2 brain.
tempocyclist is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 10:21 PM
  #9  
roadie276
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist View Post
My time trial bike is in "full syncro" mode, so the buttons only shift up or down the gear range, the front derailleur is completely controlled by the Di2 brain.
Oh yeah, I still have to play with those. Tempted to see if I can make fully synchronized mode work; I figure I can set it to auto-shift at the furthest places I usually stay in, and then if I want to shift earlier, I can.
roadie276 is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 10:47 AM
  #10  
Iride01 
MotuekaCascadeChinook
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,440

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 2,191 Posts
Auto-shift? It doesn't shift for you. You still tell it when to shift.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 11:29 AM
  #11  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5293 Post(s)
Liked 7,874 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist View Post
I have programmed the top "hidden hood" buttons to shift the rear derailleur in either direction, but in all honestly I rarely use them. I should get the wireless module so I can flip Garmin pages.

My time trial bike is in "full syncro" mode, so the buttons only shift up or down the gear range, the front derailleur is completely controlled by the Di2 brain.
Totally worth the small cost. You'll also get a Di2 battery level readout on your Garmin, as well as a gear position indicator. The latter is surprisingly useful if you live in a hilly area: when you're on a really steep climb, a glance at the computer will indicate whether you still have a bailout gear available.
Koyote is online now  
Old 08-11-22, 11:54 AM
  #12  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,282

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by roadie276 View Post
I noticed the Di2 shift lever functions are completely remappable using the Shimano E-Tube app, at least for the new 12 speed Di2. I'm curious if anyone ever tried something other than the traditional shifter configuration? Cool that you can do that, even if it's not necessarily useful for the average person. : )
I played with it at first, but quickly returned to the standard configuration. It's perfect for me. Hoods (hidden) buttons are set to shift and downshift my RD when I am in ''fake TT'' position. I know a lot of us are using them to jump from a page to another on our computers.

Personally, I hate full synchro. Why? I almost never shift from a chainring to another at the same speed / time and on the same rear gear so I like to keep control of that.

I don't need the small chainring often anyways, except when I ride in the mountains. At the speed I am going, my 52T offers plenty of range.
eduskator is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 12:40 PM
  #13  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,027
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17998 Post(s)
Liked 9,822 Times in 5,569 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Totally worth the small cost. You'll also get a Di2 battery level readout on your Garmin, as well as a gear position indicator. The latter is surprisingly useful if you live in a hilly area: when you're on a really steep climb, a glance at the computer will indicate whether you still have a bailout gear available.
​​​​​​Do you have a Garmin without touch screen or something? It's at least as easy to change pages by swiping to either side as it is to find a button.

I love having the battery % and not having to screw around with a color coded light under my stem.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 12:47 PM
  #14  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5293 Post(s)
Liked 7,874 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​Do you have a Garmin without touch screen or something? It's at least as easy to change pages by swiping to either side as it is to find a button.

I love having the battery % and not having to screw around with a color coded light under my stem.
I actually have a Wahoo computer -- no touch screen. But even when I did briefly have a Garmin, I liked the bt connection. I mostly ride gravel, and on a rough road, when I want to keep both hands on the handlebar, the ability to change screens with those auxiliary buttons is nice. And I agree on the battery % readout!

The other thing that I recall from the Garmin (but not avail on the Wahoo) is that, after a ride, I could see a screen which showed the number of times each derailleur was shifted. Not essential, but kind of fun.
Koyote is online now  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-11-22, 11:11 PM
  #15  
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day
 
lasauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts
Being very much accustomed to Ergo levers before I got a Di2 setup, I seriously thought about remapping the buttons to be more like Campy since early on it was very easy to miss-shift by pressing the wrong buttons. But ultimately decided against it on the grounds that there would still be a learning curve to get comfortable with new shifters anyways, might as well keep things simple and just get used to the default which works perfectly fine. And a few more weeks of riding later I had no more concerns, just took a while to build a new shifting habit.
__________________
Reach me faster by email.
lasauge is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 03:06 AM
  #16  
waters60
Senior Member
 
waters60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge View Post
Being very much accustomed to Ergo levers before I got a Di2 setup, I seriously thought about remapping the buttons to be more like Campy since early on it was very easy to miss-shift by pressing the wrong buttons. But ultimately decided against it on the grounds that there would still be a learning curve to get comfortable with new shifters anyways, might as well keep things simple and just get used to the default which works perfectly fine. And a few more weeks of riding later I had no more concerns, just took a while to build a new shifting habit.
Same here; I programmed them to mimic my Ergo levers. The wrinkle came when I bought my GRX equipped gravel bike. Keeps me on my toes😳
waters60 is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 07:06 AM
  #17  
TennBent
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 26

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Wow, I'm glad this thread was started. I just took delivery of a new bike yesterday that came with the new Ultegra Di2 semi-wireless system. It's my first foray into Di2 and I was trying to think of what I might use the hood buttons for. Good suggestions here.
TennBent is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 07:59 AM
  #18  
clichty
Senior Member
 
clichty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 549

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent View Post
Wow, I'm glad this thread was started. I just took delivery of a new bike yesterday that came with the new Ultegra Di2 semi-wireless system. It's my first foray into Di2 and I was trying to think of what I might use the hood buttons for. Good suggestions here.
Me too!

I didn't even have to program my Wahoo/DA12 speed units for the hoods to control my Wahoo. Just connected so I could see the gears on my screen (which is so much cooler than my super old DA with the little red indicator on the wires) and after reading this thread I tried using the hood buttons and it works! Super slick and not having to take my hands off the hoods to control the screen (great to move between GPS and the main screen). Will be awesome in colder months when using gloves.
clichty is offline  
Likes For clichty:
Old 08-12-22, 01:18 PM
  #19  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 21 Posts
I configured my GRX with full synchro. Both right shifter paddle buttons are down, both left shifter paddles are up. The top (inner) buttons are inverted. So if I ever lost one side I'd still be able to shift up/down.
I did tweak my ratios a bit, I smoothed out the rear jump ratio (it's a 2x configuration).
softreset is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 01:31 PM
  #20  
roadie276
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty View Post
Me too!

I didn't even have to program my Wahoo/DA12 speed units for the hoods to control my Wahoo. Just connected so I could see the gears on my screen (which is so much cooler than my super old DA with the little red indicator on the wires) and after reading this thread I tried using the hood buttons and it works! Super slick and not having to take my hands off the hoods to control the screen (great to move between GPS and the main screen). Will be awesome in colder months when using gloves.
Yep, this is also me (thus the post); on a new bike for a couple of months now, and am poking about at things now that I've settled in a bit. Lots of good info here. I've got one ride in w/the new shifter configuration; basically:
- left shifter = downshifting
- right shifter = upshifting
...with lower levers for the rear derailleur, and the upper levers for the front derailleur. I mostly want a bit more symmetry in shifting between hands; right now I do 85% of my shifting with just my right hand.

I'm also about to try out the fully synchronized shifting for the heck of it today as well.
roadie276 is offline  
Likes For roadie276:
Old 08-14-22, 12:40 PM
  #21  
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic
 
TerryDi2C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
On 12-speed bikes I tend to set the left hood button to "function". It'll then act just like the button on the rear derailleur, so you can enter adjustment mode / Bluetooth connection mode / change shift mode without getting off the bike ;-)
TerryDi2C is offline  
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 08-14-22, 03:27 PM
  #22  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,558

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked 3,877 Times in 1,567 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
I played with it at first, but quickly returned to the standard configuration. It's perfect for me. Hoods (hidden) buttons are set to shift and downshift my RD when I am in ''fake TT'' position. I know a lot of us are using them to jump from a page to another on our computers.
Can they be programmed to open your garage door?
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-14-22, 03:56 PM
  #23  
tempocyclist
Full Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 481

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Can they be programmed to open your garage door?
Damn. That'd actually be handy! 😂 Left hood button for the garage door, right hood button for the front gate!
tempocyclist is offline  
Old 08-14-22, 09:27 PM
  #24  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5293 Post(s)
Liked 7,874 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Can they be programmed to open your garage door?
Damn. That would be great.
Koyote is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.