Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Shift Lever Hood Replacement Problem

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Shift Lever Hood Replacement Problem

Old 08-13-22, 02:19 PM
  #1  
5282guy
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano Shift Lever Hood Replacement Problem

I replaced my hoods maybe 6 weeks ago. The one on the right has suddenly started coming loose and it's annoying. I have to keep twisting it down and on.
Of course Shimano is no help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
5282guy is offline  
Old 08-13-22, 04:33 PM
  #2  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,669
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5327 Post(s)
Liked 7,958 Times in 3,438 Posts
Originally Posted by 5282guy View Post
I replaced my hoods maybe 6 weeks ago. The one on the right has suddenly started coming loose and it's annoying. I have to keep twisting it down and on.
Of course Shimano is no help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
It would help if you post a photo.
Koyote is online now  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-13-22, 05:18 PM
  #3  
Iride01 
MotuekaCascadeChinook
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,490

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 3,163 Times in 2,204 Posts
Are they actual Shimano brand and you bought the hoods that match your particular model and version STI?

Of course I'm only assuming STI. Might help if you provide more details about what exactly you have and what you bought.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-13-22 at 05:22 PM.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-13-22, 06:43 PM
  #4  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 38,925

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 530 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18656 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,711 Posts
Need more details. Most newer Shimano rubber hoods have little tabs that mate up with small slots in the lever so they should stay in place. Or is the entire hood/shifter unit moving?!? That means you need to tighten the clamp that holds it on the bars.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-13-22, 06:57 PM
  #5  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,209

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8505 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,380 Posts
The tabs are critical.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-13-22, 08:49 PM
  #6  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,544

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 1,363 Posts
What exactly do you expect Shimano to do?
cxwrench is offline  
Old 08-13-22, 09:29 PM
  #7  
5282guy
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
It would help if you post a photo.
Will do if itt happens again. I uninstalled it and re-installed it. So far, so good.
5282guy is offline  
Old 08-13-22, 09:31 PM
  #8  
5282guy
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Need more details. Most newer Shimano rubber hoods have little tabs that mate up with small slots in the lever so they should stay in place. Or is the entire hood/shifter unit moving?!? That means you need to tighten the clamp that holds it on the bars.
Yes, those tabs are key. There are no clamps,
5282guy is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 12:42 AM
  #9  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,682
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by 5282guy View Post
Will do if itt happens again. I uninstalled it and re-installed it. So far, so good.
So you posted the question without even trying to fix it by trying to put it on better? Asking people who have absolutely no idea what the issue looks like or what you might have done or not done? How do you expect blind people to help on something like this (blind in the sense of having absolutely no idea of what's going on).

Any way, if it's working after you reinstalled the hood, what was the difference?
Camilo is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 06:35 PM
  #10  
5282guy
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
So you posted the question without even trying to fix it by trying to put it on better? Asking people who have absolutely no idea what the issue looks like or what you might have done or not done? How do you expect blind people to help on something like this (blind in the sense of having absolutely no idea of what's going on).

Any way, if it's working after you reinstalled the hood, what was the difference?
You're a ******bag. You're not worth more than a few seconds, so I'll just say that I had re-adjusted it. I removed it and it's coming off again. Your silly use of the word "absolutely" doesn't make you look any smarter. Finally, it is a problem, not an "issue," you idiot.
5282guy is offline  
Likes For 5282guy:
Old 08-21-22, 07:31 PM
  #11  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,544

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 1,363 Posts
Originally Posted by 5282guy View Post
You're a ******bag. You're not worth more than a few seconds, so I'll just say that I had re-adjusted it. I removed it and it's coming off again. Your silly use of the word "absolutely" doesn't make you look any smarter. Finally, it is a problem, not an "issue," you idiot.
Oooooohhhh, you really got him with '******bag'. I'm sure he's so upset at being called that he won't post for weeks. Or not. But...I agree with his post 100%. What kind of response do you think you'd get when asking a question like this? How can anyone help from here, especially w/ no photos. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror, you might find you're the 'issue' here.
cxwrench is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 04:27 PM
  #12  
5282guy
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Oooooohhhh, you really got him with '******bag'. I'm sure he's so upset at being called that he won't post for weeks. Or not. But...I agree with his post 100%. What kind of response do you think you'd get when asking a question like this? How can anyone help from here, especially w/ no photos. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror, you might find you're the 'issue' here.
Another keyboard commando! Tough guy. LOL! Are you his boyfriend? Did that Spandex get a little righter when you first saw his post? But then your feelings got hurt. I'll let you two get down to bidness, Nancy.
5282guy is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 04:58 PM
  #13  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,846

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6557 Post(s)
Liked 6,910 Times in 3,538 Posts
Originally Posted by 5282guy View Post
Another keyboard commando! Tough guy. LOL! Are you his boyfriend? Did that Spandex get a little righter when you first saw his post? But then your feelings got hurt. I'll let you two get down to bidness, Nancy.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 05:02 PM
  #14  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 727 Posts
I just bought a replacement set for my 785s, since the tabs on the original ones don't stay put, and I've worn down the textured part. I can't figure out how to get the old ones off (and similarly fear never getting the new (authentic Shimano) ones on). Are there any tricks? Do you have to disassemble the levers or anything drastic like that?


Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 08-23-22, 09:13 AM
  #15  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark View Post
I just bought a replacement set for my 785s, since the tabs on the original ones don't stay put, and I've worn down the textured part. I can't figure out how to get the old ones off (and similarly fear never getting the new (authentic Shimano) ones on). Are there any tricks? Do you have to disassemble the levers or anything drastic like that?



Well, I found this answer to my question, in case anyone else is wondering (and wrongly clicked on this thread expecting some informational content, like I did):


Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-23-22, 06:07 PM
  #16  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 727 Posts
Mine wound up being more of a struggle than what is shown in the video, and I had to use a little bit of liquid hand soap instead of hand sanitizer, but they did go on, and now I have a hood that is properly attached at all the tabs for the first time in probably 5 years or more. The old ones had lost all of the texturized surface, and were starting to dissintegrate.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 08-23-22, 06:20 PM
  #17  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
S
Any way, if it's working after you reinstalled the hood, what was the difference?
Speaking only for me -- the problem is that the rubber easily deforms, and heating it up in the blazing sun really helped. If it sits unattached too long, you might never get the tabs to connect properly. I lived with it for more than 5 years, but finally got annoyed enough to buy some new ones. I really hope they stay put, and now I know how to deal with it if they don't. (I think.)
Polaris OBark is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.