Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing 3 vs DT Swiss PR1600 Spline

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Fulcrum Racing 3 vs DT Swiss PR1600 Spline

Old 11-22-22, 05:31 PM
  #1  
crn3371
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Fulcrum Racing 3 vs DT Swiss PR1600 Spline

Moving off my skinny 622x14c rim brake rims to something a little nicer, and wider. Iíve narrowed it down to either the Fulcrum Racing 3 or the DT Swiss PR1600 Spline. I know the Zonda also figures into the mix but I prefer the looks of the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum and DT Swiss are both essentially the same price with the PR 1600 having the versatility edge since itís tubeless ready. Lots of opinions on the Zondaís so I figure those will carry over to the Fulcrums, not so much in the way of user opinions on the DT Swiss. Any feedback you can give would be appropriate. Thanks.
crn3371 is offline  
Old 11-22-22, 06:13 PM
  #2  
masi61
Senior Member
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,410

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 238 Posts
Any clincher road wheelset that is not tubeless ready should be crossed off your list. Road tubeless is really great.

I thought that all Fulcrum wheels sold now were ď2 way fitĒ meaning they can be run with or without inner tubes.
masi61 is offline  
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-23-22, 07:35 AM
  #3  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,114

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 861 Posts
Take a look also at the Boyd Rouleurs, which I think fall in your pricepoint:
https://boydcycling.com/products/rou...brake-wheelset
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 02:05 PM
  #4  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,389
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
Any clincher road wheelset that is not tubeless ready should be crossed off your list. Road tubeless is really great.

I thought that all Fulcrum wheels sold now were “2 way fit” meaning they can be run with or without inner tubes.
Sadly, they are not all 2Way Fit. I have a 10 year old set of Shamal 2Way Fit wheels and they have been great. However, most Fulcrum wheels do not require rim tape since there are no spoke holes in the rim bed. I have a set of DT Swiss wheels on my gravel bike. They came to me pre taped and were super easy to set up tubeless. Took me about 15 minutes. I installed the tires and valves, pumped them right up and even without sealant they held air overnight. I injected sealant the next day and rode them all this past summer. They hold air so well that I only need to pump them up every 2-3 weeks. Tires measure 700 x 45 running at 30-40 psi

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-24-22 at 02:10 PM.
alcjphil is offline  
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-25-22, 01:07 PM
  #5  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,207

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
Moving off my skinny 622x14c rim brake rims to something a little nicer, and wider. Iíve narrowed it down to either the Fulcrum Racing 3 or the DT Swiss PR1600 Spline. I know the Zonda also figures into the mix but I prefer the looks of the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum and DT Swiss are both essentially the same price with the PR 1600 having the versatility edge since itís tubeless ready. Lots of opinions on the Zondaís so I figure those will carry over to the Fulcrums, not so much in the way of user opinions on the DT Swiss. Any feedback you can give would be appropriate. Thanks.
As others have already stated, Fulcrum Racing 3 are available tubeless ready as "2-way fit." And, yes, they are essentially the same as Zondas.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 02:13 PM
  #6  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,114

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
As others have already stated, Fulcrum Racing 3 are available tubeless ready as "2-way fit." And, yes, they are essentially the same as Zondas.
I think that FR3 only come now TLR if you get the disc brake version, but not for rim brake. I have no idea why they'd opt for having different rims for one vs the other type of wheel. Yes, the FR3 and Zondas used to also be available for rim brake and TLR, but no longer. Head scratcher.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 02:29 PM
  #7  
crn3371
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Fulcrum no longer offers the Racing 3 rim brake wheel in 2-way-fit, same with Zonda. Wish they did.
crn3371 is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 03:21 PM
  #8  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,207

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
Fulcrum no longer offers the Racing 3 rim brake wheel in 2-way-fit, same with Zonda. Wish they did.
I think that's right -- the OP is looking for rim brake, and only disc brake Racing 3 currently come in 2-way fit.
tomato coupe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.