Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On the market for a new chain - Suggestions?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On the market for a new chain - Suggestions?

Old 11-24-22, 12:54 PM
  #1  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
On the market for a new chain - Suggestions?

As title say, I am on the market for a new chain. My current one - KMC X11SL - that came factory equipped on my TCR finally reached the end of its life (0.5% wear) after 9000kms (5600mi) of usage. No complaints about it except that I always found it to be noisier than the other ones I've used in the past.

I've narrowed down my choices to these two. Any thoughts on them or any other ones I should be looking at?

1) Shimano DA (CN-HG901) - Good option & on sale right now
1) Wippermann Connex 11SX - Seems to be better than DA, but also more expensive

I don't mind getting less lifespan if I can have a quieter drivetrain.

Thanks!

Last edited by eduskator; 11-24-22 at 01:48 PM.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 01:16 PM
  #2  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,105

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 858 Posts
Campy record or chorus
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 01:55 PM
  #3  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,387
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 754 Posts
I had been using KMC 10 speed chains for several years. Last year I installed a Wipperman chain on one of my road bikes. It is significantly quieter than the KMC chain was, and I didn't find the KMC chain to be any noisier than the Campagnolo chain I had been using previously. My vote is for the Wipperman chain even though it is more expensive
alcjphil is offline  
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-24-22, 02:12 PM
  #4  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
I had been using KMC 10 speed chains for several years. Last year I installed a Wipperman chain on one of my road bikes. It is significantly quieter than the KMC chain was, and I didn't find the KMC chain to be any noisier than the Campagnolo chain I had been using previously. My vote is for the Wipperman chain even though it is more expensive
Thanks, I am aiming towards that. Seems to be one of the best chains in the market in about every aspect (lifespan, noise, efficiency). Not that I want to complain about the lifespan I got out of my KMC, but if I can squeeze even more out of the Connex, it would be even better.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 02:31 PM
  #5  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,387
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 754 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Thanks, I am aiming towards that. Seems to be one of the best chains in the market in about every aspect (lifespan, noise, efficiency). Not that I want to complain about the lifespan I got out of my KMC, but if I can squeeze even more out of the Connex, it would be even better.
Well, even if you "only" get another 9000 km out of the new chain you will be doing well. My last KMC chain didn't have anywhere near that sort of mileage. I changed it because one of the links was coming apart and causing chain skipping and slipping at probably half the mileage you have. Yes, the Wipperman chain is 75% more expensive than the fairly high end KMC chain I had been using, but I don't do really high mileage on this bike since I bought a gravel bike this year so I expect that my Wipperman chain will last several years
alcjphil is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 02:48 PM
  #6  
Branko D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 241 Posts
Shimano DA generally tests as the lowest friction chain with excellent durability by third party labs. You can't go wrong with it.
Branko D is offline  
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-24-22, 03:46 PM
  #7  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 694

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 59 Posts
Used to ride Wipperman, but recently switched to Ultegra CN-HG701. Mainly because they are much quieter compared to Wipperman. Still use the Wipperman link and KMC reusable links.
__________________
If you have a steady supply of something, you can afford it and it's not interfering with your life, there's nothing wrong with being addicted. - Roland Griffiths
sshakari is offline  
Likes For sshakari:
Old 11-24-22, 04:24 PM
  #8  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 474 Posts
I always found SHimano chains run quieter on Shimano cassettes.

Beware, though - 9000 km is a goddamn long life for a chain, and if the chain was more worn than you thought, it might not mesh well with the cogs and chainrings that have worn to match the old chain. Specifically, the chain is liable to skip on the cassette under load, or be very noisy on the chainrings.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-24-22, 05:44 PM
  #9  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 19,156

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8066 Post(s)
Liked 2,878 Times in 1,538 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure you get it from a reputable bike dealer that doesn't get you a counterfeit.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-24-22, 06:33 PM
  #10  
thin_concrete
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,412

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson View Post
I always found SHimano chains run quieter on Shimano cassettes.

Beware, though - 9000 km is a goddamn long life for a chain, and if the chain was more worn than you thought, it might not mesh well with the cogs and chainrings that have worn to match the old chain. Specifically, the chain is liable to skip on the cassette under load, or be very noisy on the chainrings.
I can attest to this. I finally got around to replacing my 60.1’s chain over the summer. About half the mileage yours had and it was skip central on the old cassette, so I ended up changing that too.
thin_concrete is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 07:27 PM
  #11  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,876

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19547 Post(s)
Liked 6,219 Times in 3,012 Posts
Watch out for counterfeit chains from Amazon and ScamBay.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-24-22, 08:38 PM
  #12  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,595

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 226 Posts
The Wipperman chains are remarkably durable and come with the best quick link available. If you periodically take off your chain for cleaning or waxing, it's ideal.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 01:28 AM
  #13  
Ramshackle
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 42

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Since I buy bike parts from Amazon regularly., Is there a tell in terms of identifying a counterfeit chain?
Ramshackle is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 05:55 AM
  #14  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,876

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19547 Post(s)
Liked 6,219 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle View Post
Since I buy bike parts from Amazon regularly., Is there a tell in terms of identifying a counterfeit chain?
May be a huge challenge to tell from the listing. See my recent thread, scroll to see pics of real vs counterfeit.

PSA - Counterfeit Chains Are Rampant
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:05 AM
  #15  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Well, even if you "only" get another 9000 km out of the new chain you will be doing well. My last KMC chain didn't have anywhere near that sort of mileage. I changed it because one of the links was coming apart and causing chain skipping and slipping at probably half the mileage you have. Yes, the Wipperman chain is 75% more expensive than the fairly high end KMC chain I had been using, but I don't do really high mileage on this bike since I bought a gravel bike this year so I expect that my Wipperman chain will last several years
I've always over maintained my chains (lube every 100kms and deep clean every 1000kms) because I hate them when they're noisy. It certainly extends their lifespan!
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-25-22, 07:06 AM
  #16  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle View Post
Since I buy bike parts from Amazon regularly., Is there a tell in terms of identifying a counterfeit chain?
Buying directly from the manufacturer's amazon page.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:08 AM
  #17  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson View Post
I always found SHimano chains run quieter on Shimano cassettes.

Beware, though - 9000 km is a goddamn long life for a chain, and if the chain was more worn than you thought, it might not mesh well with the cogs and chainrings that have worn to match the old chain. Specifically, the chain is liable to skip on the cassette under load, or be very noisy on the chainrings.
Thank you, I am well aware of that and I check chain wear often to make sure it doesn't ruin my cassette or chainrings. Unless my measuring tool isn't accurate, it should be fine.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:35 AM
  #18  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 373 Posts
KMC make chains at different price levels. I've owned some lower priced versions that wore out quickly. Trying to get maximum mileage from a chain is a good way to shorten the life of cassettes and chain rings. To maximize life, alternate the use of several chains. You'll never get new-chain skip. I've had 12 speed drivetrains for over 3 years. I've got 10 chains in rotation for three bikes. I ride about 9000km per year, so it will take a long time before they are all worn. I alternate chains about every 1000km. The SRAM force axs chain is the most quiet I've found and wears well.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:40 AM
  #19  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
KMC make chains at different price levels. I've owned some lower priced versions that wore out quickly. Trying to get maximum mileage from a chain is a good way to shorten the life of cassettes and chain rings. To maximize life, alternate the use of several chains. You'll never get new-chain skip. I've had 12 speed drivetrains for over 3 years. I've got 10 chains in rotation for three bikes. I ride about 9000km per year, so it will take a long time before they are all worn. I alternate chains about every 1000km. The SRAM force axs chain is the most quiet I've found and wears well.
We're going off topic here, but I don't see why/how a 11sp chain that has not reached 0.5% wear mark would prematurely wear drivetrain components, regardless of the mileage on it.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:53 AM
  #20  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Thank you, I am well aware of that and I check chain wear often to make sure it doesn't ruin my cassette or chainrings. Unless my measuring tool isn't accurate, it should be fine.
In my experience, 'chain checker' tools are terribly inaccurate, although usually they indicate much more wear than is reality, not less wear. There are many reports of chain-checker tools that indicate a new-in-box chain is worn to the point of needing replacement. I use a ruler or tape measure to measure the distance between 12 links. It just seems like 9000 km is a unusually long life for a chain.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 07:57 AM
  #21  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,876

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19547 Post(s)
Liked 6,219 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
We're going off topic here, but I don't see why/how a 11sp chain that has not reached 0.5% wear mark would prematurely wear drivetrain components, regardless of the mileage on it.
I agree 100%.

The issue is some of these chain checker tools are NOT accurate and/or mis-used by cyclists. If you are confident in your measurements (I use a vernier calipers tool which is both precise AND accurate), you should be fine.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 08:12 AM
  #22  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,105

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 858 Posts
Just curious, browsed Amazon on Connex chains -- what's the difference between the different letter indicators -- I can see that there is an 11Sp, 11Se, 11s0, 11sX
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 09:38 AM
  #23  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,575

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 155 Posts
I have a somewhat different take on chains. My experience has been that fine tuning the chainline has a lot to do with a quiet chain. Once that's done, then using the right lube makes all the difference in the world. I am pretty persnickety about measuring chain wear and I keep records on my components and bike maintenance and have for years. About two years ago, I had started fiddling with my chain line and after adding a crank spacer noted that the chain was typically quieter than it had been before. Simultaneously with that, I had been looking at some of the lubrication data that Friction Facts and some of the other testing guys had been putting out on lube effectivity. At about the time I decided to make the switch from oil based to wax based, Silca came out with their wax based lube.

While the chainline didn't seem to affect the longevity of the chain much, it did make it quieter. I would hypothesize that the chainline caused more wear on the side plates from being out of alignment while chain wear as measured by chain length measurements is wear on the rollers. Adding the Silca wax based lube on to the configuration made for the quietest running chain I had had. But what was really interesting to me was that my chain wear went down (chain life went up) dramatically. Where I had been getting around 1500-2000 miles from a chain, I now was routinely getting well over 5000 miles out of a chain with the same wear measurements. The chains just wore dramatically less. It's an easy fix and the Silca lube is pretty good.

So what I got out of this and what I would recommend are two things: Play around with 0.5-1mm crank spacers to see if that quiets the chain to some degree (if it does, shifting will likely improve too). Secondly, shift to one of the wax based lubes after a proper chain cleaning in line with the lube manufacturer's recommendation. I think it's pretty easy for the tight chainline specs of the day to be slightly out of whack on a bike. It doesn't take much for it to get somewhat noisier.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 11-25-22, 10:04 AM
  #24  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
Just curious, browsed Amazon on Connex chains -- what's the difference between the different letter indicators -- I can see that there is an 11Sp, 11Se, 11s0, 11sX
Quality and type of riding/bike! The SX is the top of the line with stainless steel inner links and nickel coating I believe.
eduskator is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 10:47 AM
  #25  
thin_concrete
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,412

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
The SE is for electric bikes per their website.
thin_concrete is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.