Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Old 03-22-23, 06:15 PM
  #9651  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,465
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8384 Post(s)
Liked 9,283 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06


So I posted my woes with it skipping and ghost shifting in the mechanics section. They said itís the cassette or free hub. I did threshold intervals today and thankfully no issues during the intervals. During the cool down it randomly started skipping pretty bad. Worst part, I was going through an intersection, and lost all forward pressure.

I decided to put the cassette on these wheels to narrow down the issue.

Of course this creates a new issue. The front brake caliper brake shoe drop outs donít go low enough. The brake pads on the front wheel are hitting the top of the rim. Sigh. Canít catch a brake.
Lost all forward pressure? Like the chain was slipping over the cogs or the freehub body wasn't engaging?

And how could just the front wheel not work with the brakes? Just put the other front wheel back on to test the cassette.
big john is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:15 PM
  #9652  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,044

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
had a nice lunchtime spin today, post-storm random winds gave me a few PRs
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:23 PM
  #9653  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I get what you are saying, to a lesser degree.

I'm pretty sure both you and your mom started watching TV in the pre-CC era, though.
Grew up without a television in the house, then just a crummy old one and a VCR. I meant watching in any quantity, which waited until I was living on my own in 2005. She started even later, just a few years ago, when the quality of television shows had increased dramatically. Separately, as I said, but the CC was turned on immediately and permanently in both cases.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:23 PM
  #9654  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,297

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10265 Post(s)
Liked 5,240 Times in 2,244 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Lost all forward pressure? Like the chain was slipping over the cogs or the freehub body wasn't engaging?

And how could just the front wheel not work with the brakes? Just put the other front wheel back on to test the cassette.

the carbon wheels require the brake pads to be at the bottom of the braking surface on the wheel. The front wheel the brakes pads are touching the very top.

And yes I could have just done the rear wheel but was planning on running these wheels on this bike anyways. Looks like the shop in Newport News has tiagra calipers in stock, think I will pick those up tomorrow.

Yea, it got really easy to pedal and it was making the skipping sound. I was at about a constant 90 cadence with zone 2 power. No coasting or shifting before the skipping occurred today.

When this issue first started I had narrowed it down to the 8th cog and it was only under heavy load. However, it would randomly get easier to pedal when shifting to a smaller cog.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:27 PM
  #9655  
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,674

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
When I was young, a minimum of 2,000 billable hours was required to keep a law firm job, and 2400 billable hours was the requirement at the larger firms. Of course, working the minimum billable hours in a year would not get you onto partner track.

While 2,000 hours sounds like 40 hours per week times 50 weeks, that is not the case. You had to add onto that time writing the CLE talk that your assigned partner was going to make, recruitment time, client development time, attendance at the optional mandatory firm dinners and other events, and everything else you were required to do that was not billable. A 2400 hour billable requirement translates to a 10 to 15 hour work day Monday through Thursday, maybe out by 7:00 pm on Friday, work from 8:00 to 6:00 on Saturdays, and work most of the day on Sunday. A 2,000 hour requirement translated to about 60 to 80 hours per week most weeks.

There were some crazy times in my youthful years. I recall one day being told at about 4:00 pm that I was booked on a 6:00 flight to Philly, and I was to be at some office the first thing the next day to pick up an insurance policy so that I could be back by 4:00 pm to meet a deal deadline.

Another time I got chewed out royally for taking a one-week vacation (my first in three years with the firm) even though I billed 200 hours in the other three weeks of the month.

I can't recommend a "big law" career to anyone who wants to have a life.
Thatís what life was like in the Big 4. I made it to Senior Manager in the Fed Tax practice but I saw what others had to do to make Managing Director, let alone Partner. I was going through a divorce at the time, but I had an epiphany when the divorce was finalized and said no more.

My year before making Senior Manager I had the most revenue managed in my group and 2K+ billable hours (plus all the admin BS hours of recruiting, performance management for staff, community service, etc), despite taking several weeks of vacation. Made hanging my own shingle so much easier.
thin_concrete is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:31 PM
  #9656  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,186

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22711 Post(s)
Liked 9,070 Times in 4,213 Posts
Fun fact: Mary is a keen cyclist
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:36 PM
  #9657  
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,674

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
But there are people who are workaholics and can't get enough. I asked that guy why he didn't retire. He had enough money to do so and his wife's job paid for lifetime medical. He said he would get bored if he retired. I told him I would rather be bored than be miserable at work.
Iíd be lying if I said I didnít like that mindset and action up to a point in my career. Spotlight, pressure, delivery, etc. was what I thrived on. Then my dad died suddenly and then the divorce forced a massive rethink (as noted in my previous post).
thin_concrete is offline  
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 03-22-23, 06:37 PM
  #9658  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,465
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8384 Post(s)
Liked 9,283 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
the carbon wheels require the brake pads to be at the bottom of the braking surface on the wheel. The front wheel the brakes pads are touching the very top.

And yes I could have just done the rear wheel but was planning on running these wheels on this bike anyways. Looks like the shop in Newport News has tiagra calipers in stock, think I will pick those up tomorrow.

Yea, it got really easy to pedal and it was making the skipping sound. I was at about a constant 90 cadence with zone 2 power. No coasting or shifting before the skipping occurred today.

When this issue first started I had narrowed it down to the 8th cog and it was only under heavy load. However, it would randomly get easier to pedal when shifting to a smaller cog.
What has happened with me when using worn cogs with a new chain is a skipping of a few teeth, like a jerking motion, usually only under heavy load. Had chainrings do it too. I never had a freehub body slip intermittently but I have had them pop and grind and once had one crack and no longer drive the wheel at all.

Was mountain biking and a friend's freehub stopped working, like the pawls were stuck down. I took the wheel off and slammed it on the ground and it started working.
big john is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:42 PM
  #9659  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,462

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28826 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
...and now you can savor my quality content from the comfort of your home. What a world.
I try to set you up to post quality content.

Instead, you post stuff like this
Originally Posted by DougRNS
A regular guitar is dumb enough. SMH
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:45 PM
  #9660  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,297

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10265 Post(s)
Liked 5,240 Times in 2,244 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What has happened with me when using worn cogs with a new chain is a skipping of a few teeth, like a jerking motion, usually only under heavy load. Had chainrings do it too. I never had a freehub body slip intermittently but I have had them pop and grind and once had one crack and no longer drive the wheel at all.

Was mountain biking and a friend's freehub stopped working, like the pawls were stuck down. I took the wheel off and slammed it on the ground and it started working.

It must be the cassette. I donít know why I am having such a hard time accepting the cassette is bad. I never had any issues with it on the Ritchey, but I also have no idea many miles are on the cassette/ groupset.

I did try and buy a replacement today but my LBS only has sora 9 speed cassettes in stock so I passed.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:50 PM
  #9661  
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,674

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
It must be the cassette. I donít know why I am having such a hard time accepting the cassette is bad. I never had any issues with it on the Ritchey, but I also have no idea many miles are on the cassette/ groupset.

I did try and buy a replacement today but my LBS only has sora 9 speed cassettes in stock so I passed.
Are you trying to find NOS stuff? I picked up a NOS Super Record cassette for the 60.1 off of eBay. The seller focuses on that stuff. If you want his name, will send by PM.
thin_concrete is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:52 PM
  #9662  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,208

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8927 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,785 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I try to set you up to post quality content.

Instead, you post stuff like this
A regular guitar is dumb enough. SMH
Here's some quality content.

DougRNS is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 06:52 PM
  #9663  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,462

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28826 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Grew up without a television in the house, then just a crummy old one and a VCR.
Oh. One of those people.

There were several years when I was growing up that our household lacked a TV. Not my idea. My classmates would talk about TV programmes at school, and I had nothing to add.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
She started even later, just a few years ago, when the quality of television shows had increased dramatically.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 07:01 PM
  #9664  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,085

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12914 Post(s)
Liked 7,839 Times in 4,166 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So I posted my woes with it skipping and ghost shifting in the mechanics section. They said it’s the cassette or free hub. I did threshold intervals today and thankfully no issues during the intervals. During the cool down it randomly started skipping pretty bad. Worst part, I was going through an intersection, and lost all forward pressure.

I decided to put the cassette on these wheels to narrow down the issue.

Of course this creates a new issue. The front brake caliper brake shoe drop outs don’t go low enough. The brake pads on the front wheel are hitting the top of the rim. Sigh. Can’t catch a brake.
I dunno if any shop guys have done it but first thing I'd do is perfectly align the rear der. hanger. Then adjust rear der. then hammer in every rear cog and try to take note if any skip. 9-sp cassettes are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

That's a bummer about the front wheel. hopefully it's all the way in the dropouts. I wonder if it has the right brake caliper on it. If that fork is anything like the Trek Icon forks, they need a somewhat long reach brake.

If it's pretty close you can get a round file and lengthen the slot a bit so the brake pad can be slid down low enough.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-22-23 at 07:06 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 03-22-23, 07:10 PM
  #9665  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,465
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8384 Post(s)
Liked 9,283 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Iíd be lying if I said I didnít like that mindset and action up to a point in my career. Spotlight, pressure, delivery, etc. was what I thrived on. Then my dad died suddenly and then the divorce forced a massive rethink (as noted in my previous post).
Next month it will be 4 years since I retired. I wasn't sure if I would be able to survive on SS without burning through my meager savings, but so far so good.
I would have stayed on longer if they had made my life easier.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-22-23, 07:13 PM
  #9666  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,297

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10265 Post(s)
Liked 5,240 Times in 2,244 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Are you trying to find NOS stuff? I picked up a NOS Super Record cassette for the 60.1 off of eBay. The seller focuses on that stuff. If you want his name, will send by PM.

Im trying to keep this bike as light as possible. So any replacement part I would like to be equal or less weight, not more weight. It currently has a 105 9 spd cassette, just wanted to put ultegra to save a few grams. I appreciate it, Iíll prolly just get my LBS to order me one at some point.


Just looked at the bike again. Was going to ride it tomorrow and just not use the front brake. Pretty easy to do at 4 am no traffic. However, the rear brake isnít really in the safe zone either. I donít know what happens if I brake hard outside of the safe zone, but when I bought these wheels. Superteam had multiple pictures of where the brake pads are supposed to be and where they canít be. Currently they are where they canít be. Im assuming more than one person got broken.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-22-23, 07:16 PM
  #9667  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,297

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10265 Post(s)
Liked 5,240 Times in 2,244 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I dunno if any shop guys have done it but first thing I'd do is perfectly align the rear der. hanger. Then adjust rear der. then hammer in every rear cog and try to take note if any skip. 9-sp cassettes are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

That's a bummer about the front wheel. hopefully it's all the way in the dropouts. I wonder if it has the right brake caliper on it. If that fork is anything like the Trek Icon forks, they need a somewhat long reach brake.

If it's pretty close you can get a round file and lengthen the slot a bit so the brake pad can be slid down low enough.
I would need to shave mine 2-3 mm. No idea if itís the right brake caliper. Didnít even know that was a thing. Itís prolly not, I just took it off The Ritchey.

As far as my hesitant on the cassette. To me I was convinced it was a cable or rear de railer issue. They checked it when I built it hanger is straight.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 07:34 PM
  #9668  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,159

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3386 Post(s)
Liked 3,729 Times in 1,265 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I would need to shave mine 2-3 mm. No idea if it’s the right brake caliper. Didn’t even know that was a thing. It’s prolly not, I just took it off The Ritchey.

As far as my hesitant on the cassette. To me I was convinced it was a cable or rear de railer issue. They checked it when I built it hanger is straight.
There is this option if you want to keep your current calipers. There is also the Tektro R539 mid-reach set for a little more money than the offset pad holders, but they're good brakes. Measure the distance between the front of the fork crown hole and the center of the brake track and you'll know what reach you need.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 07:37 PM
  #9669  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,208

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8927 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,785 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Oh.

There were several years when I was growing up that our household lacked a TV. Not my idea. My classmates would talk about TV programmes at school, and I had nothing to add.


Why didn't you tell them to watch and report their findings? Hadn't learned that one yet?
DougRNS is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 08:04 PM
  #9670  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9664 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,507 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i think there are two ways to go on this. 1, do something you love, and as long as youíre physically/mentally able to do it well, thereís no real internal pressure to stop doing it. 2, do something that doesnít make you totally miserable, you may not love it but pays so well that the rest of your life greatly benefits and you can stop working at a reasonably young age, e.g. while you can still enjoy it.

iím probably slightly more in the ď1Ē camp, and donít really ever want to stop doing what i do - but i would like the financial freedom to do it a bit different. fire all the assclowns, not deal with the most obnoxious clients myself, etc.

our firmís partnership agreement has mandatory retirement at 65, so changes would be afoot anyway. the 85 year old wandering around micromanaging everyone canít happen.
Im more in the first camp. I escaped the world of as clowns about ten years ago, and now do it how I want to do it.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 08:08 PM
  #9671  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9664 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,507 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Thatís what life was like in the Big 4. I made it to Senior Manager in the Fed Tax practice but I saw what others had to do to make Managing Director, let alone Partner. I was going through a divorce at the time, but I had an epiphany when the divorce was finalized and said no more.

My year before making Senior Manager I had the most revenue managed in my group and 2K+ billable hours (plus all the admin BS hours of recruiting, performance management for staff, community service, etc), despite taking several weeks of vacation. Made hanging my own shingle so much easier.
My daughter spent a couple years at Deloitte. Saw it coming, and jumped to a tech company to work in-house. Makes significantly more and is much happier.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-22-23, 08:16 PM
  #9672  
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 5,256

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 396 Posts
I'm thankful that I never worked for the Big 4. No excessively long hours. I've had good bosses and my working week has been 37.5 hours for virtually all my working career.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 08:16 PM
  #9673  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,044

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
My daughter spent a couple years at Deloitte. Saw it coming, and jumped to a tech company to work in-house. Makes significantly more and is much happier.
most every attorney i know who is in house for big tech is happier than the members of their cohort who are in big law. earnings are 50/50, depends so much on options in that world.
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Old 03-22-23, 08:21 PM
  #9674  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,465
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8384 Post(s)
Liked 9,283 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
There is this option
Bob Dopalina!
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-22-23, 08:22 PM
  #9675  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,462

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28826 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Why didn't you tell them to watch and report their findings? Hadn't learned that one yet?
They were reporting their findings by talking about what they watched.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.