Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Tips is dead, long live ????

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Tips is dead, long live ????

Old 01-10-23, 10:51 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Tips is dead, long live ????

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it affects us roadies I think. Not sure if you all have been following, but the content on cycling tips has fallen off a cliff lately. The parent company Outside laid off a bunch of staff, including the editor. And now there's nothing. Like one story a week. It sucks.

I'm bummed about it. In addition to lurking here (longtime lurker, first time poster) it was my morning routine.

Anybody know what all the writers who left are doing? Where can I get my fix?
GivememyC64 is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 12:14 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Caliwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
From their site:

Dear CT readers,

In the coming weeks we are migrating the entire CT site over to a new platform within Outside. During this transition you will see some of the functionality and sections change while we complete this process. We are doing our best to make this as seamless as possible and please accept our apologies if there are any changes in your reading experience while we complete this task.

Thank you!

https://cyclingtips.com/2023/01/a-ne...ming%ef%bf%bc/
Caliwild is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 12:26 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
I don't really understand the plan here for Outside, but it's sad to see CyclingTips swirling the drain. There are still a few talented writers there and hopefully they find a way to continue doing what they do.

Caley Fretz, along with a handful of others has continued to produce a podcast called "The Placeholders" which generally picks up where the CT weekly podcast left off - a heavy focus on pro racing with a little bit of tech/industry news sprinkled in.

He and Wade Wallace also seem to be up to something new soon:
Substack: https://substack.com/profile/2449888-wadewallace
msu2001la is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 12:38 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Some relevant discussion from November/Dec here: Cycling Tips just fired a bunch of quality staff.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 12:53 PM
  #5  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,774

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,702 Times in 4,289 Posts
Originally Posted by GivememyC64
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it affects us roadies I think. Not sure if you all have been following, but the content on cycling tips has fallen off a cliff lately. The parent company Outside laid off a bunch of staff, including the editor. And now there's nothing. Like one story a week. It sucks.

I'm bummed about it. In addition to lurking here (longtime lurker, first time poster) it was my morning routine.

Anybody know what all the writers who left are doing? Where can I get my fix?
Wade Wallace, the guy who started Cycling Tips, just announced he is going to partner with Caley and they will create a subscription based cycling site. No details of who will join, but since Caley is hosting 'The Placeholder' with Dave Rome and Dane Cash, I would hope those two will have the option to join on.
As a podcast, The Placeholder is great. It isnt Nerd Alert and nothing will be as good as Nerd Alert until they pull James and Zach Edwards over, but The Placeholder is entertaining.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 01:47 PM
  #6  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,259

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22763 Post(s)
Liked 9,160 Times in 4,249 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Some relevant discussion from November/Dec here: Cycling Tips just fired a bunch of quality staff.
This.

Everything changes. Change is not always good. It happens.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 01:52 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,535 Posts
Elvis?
seypat is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 02:13 PM
  #8  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,259

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22763 Post(s)
Liked 9,160 Times in 4,249 Posts
How about "Cycling Tips is Dead. Long Live BikeForums!"

__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 02:47 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,535 Posts
seypat is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 04:04 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 331 Posts
It seems Outside have shut down the Cycling Tips forum as of today also! I guess it was getting too anti-Outside in there (not surprisingly).

Change happens of course, but I do find this quite sad. Cycling Tips used to be my "go-to" place for road cycling coverage, tech reviews, a bit of humour, and some great journalism. And the Secret Pro of course!


Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't really understand the plan here for Outside, but it's sad to see CyclingTips swirling the drain.
Neither do I. What have they gained from buying Cycling Tips? Just removing some competition?

What was the desired outcome for Outside regarding the CT purchase? 🤔
tempocyclist is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 04:26 PM
  #11  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,774

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,702 Times in 4,289 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
It seems Outside have shut down the Cycling Tips forum as of today also! I guess it was getting too anti-Outside in there (not surprisingly).

Change happens of course, but I do find this quite sad. Cycling Tips used to be my "go-to" place for road cycling coverage, tech reviews, a bit of humour, and some great journalism. And the Secret Pro of course!




Neither do I. What have they gained from buying Cycling Tips? Just removing some competition?

What was the desired outcome for Outside regarding the CT purchase? 🤔
Outside didnt buy CyclingTips. Outside bought PinkBike and with that purchase came CyclingTips.
Thats worth mentioning as it is a significant distinction.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-23, 05:15 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Outside didnt buy CyclingTips. Outside bought PinkBike and with that purchase came CyclingTips.
Thats worth mentioning as it is a significant distinction.
Ah yep, good point. Pinkbike seems to be thriving!
tempocyclist is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 05:27 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 1,005

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 467 Posts
Long live Hambini and people that tell it like it is,
Jughed is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 06:21 AM
  #14  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,259

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22763 Post(s)
Liked 9,160 Times in 4,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Long live Hambini and people that tell it like it is,
The pen is still working?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 07:41 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The pen is still working?
It should be. It's mighter than the sword, after all.
seypat is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 10:09 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 1,005

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The pen is still working?
Yep, the hairdresser makes sure of it.
Jughed is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 10:54 AM
  #17  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,774

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,702 Times in 4,289 Posts
Hambini is good for an observation or two in each video. You have to sit thru 20min of filler to get those little nuggets though.
I do chuckle every time he pulls up a brand's site and doesn't know what something is, then dismisses it as useless or guesses incorrectly.

You would think that videos which exist to show people what's wrong and how to correct the issues, would have more accuracy.

He tells it like he sees it, that's for sure. Whether that aligns with how it is though?...for sure hit and miss.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 06:16 PM
  #18  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wade Wallace, the guy who started Cycling Tips, just announced he is going to partner with Caley and they will create a subscription based cycling site. No details of who will join, but since Caley is hosting 'The Placeholder' with Dave Rome and Dane Cash, I would hope those two will have the option to join on.
As a podcast, The Placeholder is great. It isnt Nerd Alert and nothing will be as good as Nerd Alert until they pull James and Zach Edwards over, but The Placeholder is entertaining.
This is what I was looking for, thanks!

Just read Wade and Caley's letter. I like the idea of it. If it means a big media title that isn't beholden to advertisers, that's good for all of us.
GivememyC64 is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 06:59 PM
  #19  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,352

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
How about "Cycling Tips is Dead. Long Live BikeForums!"

wish that were true. Unfortunately, I think BF is just on a slower downward spiral.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-11-23, 07:58 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,172
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7162 Post(s)
Liked 11,365 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
wish that were true. Unfortunately, I think BF is just on a slower downward spiral.
What, you don't enjoy a good rim vs disc brakes thread? Or being told that you're a doofus for not riding a recumbent?
Koyote is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 08:34 PM
  #21  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,553

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 6,097 Times in 3,108 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
wish that were true. Unfortunately, I think BF is just on a slower downward spiral.
Unfortunately true. The negativism, sniping and perpetual arguments by a handful of individuals really poison what could be a collegial, helpful site. I know I am spending far less time here because of it.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-12-23, 06:51 PM
  #22  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,352

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Unfortunately true. The negativism, sniping and perpetual arguments by a handful of individuals really poison what could be a collegial, helpful site. I know I am spending far less time here because of it.
l donít doubt thatís true. However, the arguments , sarcasm, banter can add to the entertainment value and keep people engaged, as long as it isnít over the top and mean spirited.

I think the bigger problem is that people,looking for actual information find it elsewhere, such as YouTube. Leaving BF on about the same trajectory as print newspapers.

And, get off my lawn.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-14-23, 09:59 PM
  #23  
Along for the ride
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: PNW US
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Unfortunately true. The negativism, sniping and perpetual arguments by a handful of individuals really poison what could be a collegial, helpful site. I know I am spending far less time here because of it.
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
l donít doubt thatís true. However, the arguments , sarcasm, banter can add to the entertainment value and keep people engaged, as long as it isnít over the top and mean spirited.

I think the bigger problem is that people,looking for actual information find it elsewhere, such as YouTube. Leaving BF on about the same trajectory as print newspapers.
I'm fairly new here as a participant, but have been on the site many many times over the past few years as BF tends to be pretty high in Google results for a lot of bike searches, especially ones relating to maintenance and repair.

The amount of useful content already here will guarantee traffic for years to come even if participation were to dwindle. As a relative outsider though I would definitely say that the culture here is... mixed. There's an incredible amount of dead-horse-beating that goes on around here in ways that are tiresome and circular. The various bicycle-related subre*dits that I follow often seem like friendlier places than here, and that's saying something.
retswerb is offline  
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-15-23, 05:44 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
I heard that Bicycling magazine is undergoing "hard times" due to the lack of readership and changes from their parent company. I wouldn't shed a tear if they go under! It's not worth wrapping fish in now a days.
Colorado Kid is offline  
Old 01-15-23, 11:33 AM
  #25  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,259

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22763 Post(s)
Liked 9,160 Times in 4,249 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
I'm fairly new here as a participant, but have been on the site many many times over the past few years as BF tends to be pretty high in Google results for a lot of bike searches, especially ones relating to maintenance and repair.

The amount of useful content already here will guarantee traffic for years to come even if participation were to dwindle. As a relative outsider though I would definitely say that the culture here is... mixed. There's an incredible amount of dead-horse-beating that goes on around here in ways that are tiresome and circular. The various bicycle-related subre*dits that I follow often seem like friendlier places than here, and that's saying something.
Agree, the collective knowledge here is not easily (if at all) found elsewhere. In spite of the occasional trolling and/or vitriol, itís still an amazing resource.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.