Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.2

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.2

Old 05-29-23, 07:19 PM
  #5101  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Park Tool always does a good job of explaining things.
Do you watch how-to videos at the bike store?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-29-23, 07:41 PM
  #5102  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 15,617

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked 9,982 Times in 5,077 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Someone flipped their Yota in Sedona. Looks new.

Am I really the first one to say, "That'll buff right out!"?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 05-29-23, 07:55 PM
  #5103  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 15,617

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked 9,982 Times in 5,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How does this happen?
I think this is why:
High center of gravity, sharp turn taken at too high speed, tires too sticky. The body in motion remains in motion, in much the same direction, but because the tires have so much grip they change the orientation of the vehicle without changing the direction it's travelling, and now the tires are at right angles to the direction all that mass is moving, so the mass tries to keep going but the tires, which are still really sticky, won't slide enough, so the center of mass keeps moving in the same direction and quickly is no longer over the base and it rolls, and keeps going till it's upside down.

This is one reason why sports cars are so low to the ground. Also, in The Old Days, the tires were lousy and narrow, and the vehicle would just plow, not really turning effectively, and then the vehicle would fail to negotiate the turn and run into something.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 05-29-23, 08:07 PM
  #5104  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 15,617

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked 9,982 Times in 5,077 Posts
I was just out in the yard, getting ready to grill the traditional burgers and dogs, when I looked at out little apple tree. This tree has given us a maximum of half a dozen apples a year in the dozen years we've had it. This year it's got DOZENS of little apple-ettes!


So I asked my orchard-owning high school friends on FB what to do. One said to thin them down to 1 frult/cluster. We'll see how it goes, but we'll definitely keep the tree watered!!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 05-29-23, 08:18 PM
  #5105  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 55,229

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12692 Post(s)
Liked 3,803 Times in 2,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Do you watch how-to videos at the bike store?
We sometimes use manufacturer's tech videos for things like suspension rebuilds.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-29-23, 08:33 PM
  #5106  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37,558
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17428 Post(s)
Liked 13,513 Times in 6,419 Posts
Stick a fork in the Celtics!
indyfabz is online now  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-29-23, 09:01 PM
  #5107  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 42,685

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11223 Post(s)
Liked 6,196 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
We sometimes use manufacturer's tech videos for things like suspension rebuilds.
We mostly watched funny YouTubes. And once in a blue moon you'd have to program eTap or some such nonsense and it had been 8 months since the last one so you totally forgot how to do it
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-29-23, 09:09 PM
  #5108  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 42,685

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11223 Post(s)
Liked 6,196 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Stick a fork in the Celtics!
Can we stick a fork in the NBA season yet? Seems like it should've been over already
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 05-29-23, 09:36 PM
  #5109  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 42,685

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11223 Post(s)
Liked 6,196 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Stick a fork in the Celtics!
Fun fact (according to this guy)

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-29-23, 09:43 PM
  #5110  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 23,585
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7170 Post(s)
Liked 7,422 Times in 3,750 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Can we stick a fork in the NBA season yet? Seems like it should've been over already
One more series!
big john is online now  
Old 05-29-23, 09:48 PM
  #5111  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 42,685

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11223 Post(s)
Liked 6,196 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I was just out in the yard, getting ready to grill the traditional burgers and dogs, when I looked at out little apple tree. This tree has given us a maximum of half a dozen apples a year in the dozen years we've had it. This year it's got DOZENS of little apple-ettes!


So I asked my orchard-owning high school friends on FB what to do. One said to thin them down to 1 frult/cluster. We'll see how it goes, but we'll definitely keep the tree watered!!
Impressive bounty for that little tree!!!
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 05-29-23, 10:06 PM
  #5112  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 42,685

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11223 Post(s)
Liked 6,196 Times in 3,244 Posts
I guess I missed TJ throwing out the first pitch down at the ballpark yesterday

Also the roof is closed

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 02:57 AM
  #5113  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,052

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8206 Post(s)
Liked 3,897 Times in 1,667 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Wrong derailleur. He said his is 10 speed. So, likely FD-5700.

Park Tool always does a good job of explaining things.

How to Adjust a Front Derailleur - YouTube

I watched this one with Mr. Mustache and It left me scratching my head.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 02:59 AM
  #5114  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,052

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8206 Post(s)
Liked 3,897 Times in 1,667 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Good news about the swelling.
I suggest you look at some videos and adjust everything on the derailleurs starting from scratch. Start by making sure the chain length is correct. I had a shop I trusted put a new chain on for me and I had lots of problems after that including dropped chains. I went through the chain sizing procedure and he had left it 3 links too long. After I shortened it shifting was much better and it stopped dropping the chain.

Interesting. I too had them throw a new chain on with all of this, and when I first saw the bike I thought the chain looked a little long. I donít see how this leads to dropping though? The FD is definitely messed up, I can almost stick my pinking between the detrailer and the big chain ring on the outer limit side.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 03:30 AM
  #5115  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,871

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2902 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 854 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
So you'll run it 4 to 5 months per year. Here they run year round so more equipment wear.
Iíd love year round weather. Iíll take 5 months a year though
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 05:56 AM
  #5116  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37,558
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17428 Post(s)
Liked 13,513 Times in 6,419 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Can we stick a fork in the NBA season yet? Seems like it should've been over already
It's been keeping me up too late.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 05-30-23, 06:35 AM
  #5117  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 55,229

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12692 Post(s)
Liked 3,803 Times in 2,137 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I watched this one with Mr. Mustache and It left me scratching my head.
It was worth a shot.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 06:38 AM
  #5118  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 55,229

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12692 Post(s)
Liked 3,803 Times in 2,137 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Interesting. I too had them throw a new chain on with all of this, and when I first saw the bike I thought the chain looked a little long. I donít see how this leads to dropping though? The FD is definitely messed up, I can almost stick my pinking between the detrailer and the big chain ring on the outer limit side.
Is that derailleur meant for a two ring set up?
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 06:41 AM
  #5119  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 55,229

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12692 Post(s)
Liked 3,803 Times in 2,137 Posts
Check the chain length by shifting the derailleurs into the smallest cog on the cassette and the smallest ring on the crank. If the chain touches the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur, then it is too long.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 06:48 AM
  #5120  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 10,799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8135 Post(s)
Liked 5,282 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Iíd love year round weather. Iíll take 5 months a year though
Oh, we don't swim year round, although some people have heaters. We just don't drain the pools, but keep them running so they don't go green. Heating an outdoor heated pool here is very expensive in terms of fuel costs. Most with heaters just use them in spring and fall.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 06:50 AM
  #5121  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I think this is why:
High center of gravity, sharp turn taken at too high speed, tires too sticky. The body in motion remains in motion, in much the same direction, but because the tires have so much grip they change the orientation of the vehicle without changing the direction it's travelling, and now the tires are at right angles to the direction all that mass is moving, so the mass tries to keep going but the tires, which are still really sticky, won't slide enough, so the center of mass keeps moving in the same direction and quickly is no longer over the base and it rolls, and keeps going till it's upside down.

This is one reason why sports cars are so low to the ground. Also, in The Old Days, the tires were lousy and narrow, and the vehicle would just plow, not really turning effectively, and then the vehicle would fail to negotiate the turn and run into something.
Show your work.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-30-23, 06:51 AM
  #5122  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 22,787

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Check the chain length by shifting the derailleurs into the smallest cog on the cassette and the smallest ring on the crank. If the chain touches the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur, then it is too long.
Conversely, it should go big/big, also. If you can't do both extremes, then it's the wrong cassette or rear derailleur or chainrings size.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-30-23, 07:11 AM
  #5123  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,871

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2902 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 854 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Oh, we don't swim year round, although some people have heaters. We just don't drain the pools, but keep them running so they don't go green. Heating an outdoor heated pool here is very expensive in terms of fuel costs. Most with heaters just use them in spring and fall.
We are having a heat pump installed when they build it, the place the pool is going only has sun until about 3-4 so we will probably need it.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-30-23, 07:11 AM
  #5124  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 23,585
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7170 Post(s)
Liked 7,422 Times in 3,750 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Check the chain length by shifting the derailleurs into the smallest cog on the cassette and the smallest ring on the crank. If the chain touches the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur, then it is too long.
I found a document from Campagnolo and it says to measure between the chain and the jockey wheel. It might have been 13mm.
big john is online now  
Old 05-30-23, 07:43 AM
  #5125  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 10,799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8135 Post(s)
Liked 5,282 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
We are having a heat pump installed when they build it, the place the pool is going only has sun until about 3-4 so we will probably need it.
True that!

Ours is still to cold to get in. The weather here has been very mild so far. Usually we are swimming by May 1.
Mojo31 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.