Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sit bone pads only - cycling shorts?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Sit bone pads only - cycling shorts?

Old 04-29-23, 01:54 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sit bone pads only - cycling shorts?

I have determined that the front padding in my bibs is negating the effectiveness of the saddle cutout, it just jams a bunch of foam in the cutout and I donít need the padding up there. Does anyone make a chamois with padding only in the sit bones? I realize you still need chamois material to cover the seams up front and reduce friction but I donít want the padding.
This is not a fit or saddle question, I have a professional fit and great saddle. Just wondering if this product exists? I have Endura Pro SL bibs today.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FL_Gator; 04-29-23 at 03:01 PM.
FL_Gator is offline  
Old 04-29-23, 02:11 PM
  #2  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,392

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10644 Post(s)
Liked 12,298 Times in 6,297 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_Gator
I have determined that the front padding in my bibs is negating the effectiveness of the saddle cutout, it just jams a bunch of foam in the cutout and I donít need the padding up there. Does anyone make a chamois with padding only in the sit bones? I realize you still need chamois material to cover the seams up front and reduce friction but I donít want the padding.
This is not a fit or saddle question, I have a professional fit and great saddle. Just wondering if this product exists?
Thanks in advance!
A lot of the better bibs and shorts have very thin padding down the middle - often it seems like just fabric. Often the padding on them is a LOT thicker over the sit bones, which makes any padding down the middle even less of a problem. I think you want a "shaped" chamois, and checking them out in person in a store is probably a good idea. As far as brands, I'm partial to Louis Garneau and Le Col, personally.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-29-23, 08:31 PM
  #3  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,915
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 5,811 Times in 2,937 Posts
A lot of brands use EIT chamois. The website has descriptions that might help. EIT Link
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-30-23, 01:01 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A lot of brands use EIT chamois. The website has descriptions that might help.
Great thank you, Iíll check them out.
FL_Gator is offline  
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 05-01-23, 09:09 AM
  #5  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 15,315

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6370 Post(s)
Liked 4,971 Times in 3,421 Posts
Don't forget that changing the tilt of your saddle might be an option too. However if that makes you slide on the saddle, then you'll have to figure out if that's due to the tilt or you just have the wrong reach to the bars.

But for certain look for different bibbs/shorts. I like thinner pads too. And before I started using cycling specific clothes, I could ride a 100 miles without a chamois pad and no problems whatsoever. I've never had a actual saddle sore or used chamois cream either.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-01-23, 04:23 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't forget that changing the tilt of your saddle might be an option too. However if that makes you slide on the saddle, then you'll have to figure out if that's due to the tilt or you just have the wrong reach to the bars.

But for certain look for different bibbs/shorts. I like thinner pads too. And before I started using cycling specific clothes, I could ride a 100 miles without a chamois pad and no problems whatsoever. I've never had a actual saddle sore or used chamois cream either.
Thanks for the perspective. I tried 20 miles this weekend without cycling shorts and had no issues at all. I might give it go without and see if I really need the chamois. Still would like to know if anyone has found any without padding up front.
FL_Gator is offline  
Old 05-01-23, 05:15 PM
  #7  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,915
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 5,811 Times in 2,937 Posts
FWIW, I've had shorts with a chamois that was positioned too low in the front. It's awkward when you have to keep tucking your parts below the chamois line. Nobody wants to see that.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-03-23, 05:50 PM
  #8  
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,482

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 484 Posts
If you're finding your cycling bottoms uncomfortable, then you need to find another/different fit. If you find using bottoms which are loose and unfitted works, then it works.
For many, maybe most, a fitted short/bib is way better for longer rides, longer times in the saddle, especially when it warm enough to perspire down there.
So, for cycling bottoms, the fit and form of both the entire bottom and then the 'chamois' pad makes all the difference.
I fond Louis Garneau a good fitting bottom with a chamois which works for me - and is a reasonable cost. Also, AeroTech (in Pittsburgh area, has online site) has a shorts/bib model called the 'Classic', which has a less bulky chamois which is formed like more traditional chamois, and the shorts material is a good grade of lycra, and fits me well - it does use a more traditional
elastic leg band' to hold the shorts down and in place, unlike the newer wide leg band designs - I get along with both designs. Pearl Izumi also works well for me, but in their more pricy level / grade.
Having just done a search for 'thin cycling chamois', I came upon theblackbibs.com, which seems a very, very economical product. They claim broad use by many cyclists including upper level racers. Piqued me enough to order a pair in Navy - been looking for some decent Navy Bibs. Have plenty of black, but wanting some in Navy. $40. Worth a shot. Will report back after I get a few solid rides on them...
A little about "chamois'. Chamois are a mountain antelope, found in many of the mountainous places in earth. But specifically they became used for their soft leather, in all of Europe.
They are now strictly protected in all of Europe where they are found. Their leather is very soft and absorbent Used for products where soft, flexible, thin were highly desired; like gloves, hats, cycling shorts, lovingly wiping the thin paint your Fiat, Citroen or Jaguar ... Back in the day when we all used wool shorts, there, thankfully, was chamois, to save your bottom and precious parts (regardless of gender). A single layer of any fabric against skin, especially seated on a saddle, causes friction, which will eventually make you 'raw' or worse. So a soft, thin, clean real Chamois pad mostly eliminated that problem. Chamois pads were never intended to 'Pad', cushion that area, only reduce the possibility of irritation. The the saddle fits properly, then 12 days of rides, the sitzbones become accustomed to being the support for the body, whether they're on a 'cushion' or not. A lot of modern pads are overbuilt and bunch up when being used, and are the cause of problems. A thin pad won;t cause that.
We ALL used chamois cream... 'Chamois' after exposure to water (washing or otherwise) would harden upon drying. So 'chamois cream' was applied after washing, to again bring back chamois soft hand. But directly to the pad and only enough to bring back the chamois softness, no heavy greasing. That's the ONLY way we applied chamois cream. Can't imagine a direct application to the precious parts... LOL!
Since most all modern 'Chamois' pads in bottoms are synthetic; if they are clean, they should be their softest and least irritating nature - why use chamois cream and gunk up the area?
'Heat' from grease just starts the irritating sooner... The other thing about Thick or Large chamois pads is they keep the heat in. On a hot day, that's very uncomfortable. Gotta put your parts where they are least uncomfortable, that's my important consideration...
If you don't do long rides or are just less affected by all the issues from single layers (shorts with conventional underwear are total non-starter for me), then you have more options.
When it comes to cycling kit, especially bottoms, I'm very picky...
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-07-23, 06:20 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
ussprinceton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durham, NC 27705 USA
Posts: 1,077

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts


ussprinceton is offline  
Old 05-07-23, 06:07 PM
  #10  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,915
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 5,811 Times in 2,937 Posts
IIRC, the last time someone posted Lampre Man the pic was removed with prejudice.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 05-07-23, 06:24 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
If you're finding your cycling bottoms uncomfortable, then you need to find another/different fit. If you find using bottoms which are loose and unfitted works, then it works.
For many, maybe most, a fitted short/bib is way better for longer rides, longer times in the saddle, especially when it warm enough to perspire down there.
So, for cycling bottoms, the fit and form of both the entire bottom and then the 'chamois' pad makes all the difference.
I fond Louis Garneau a good fitting bottom with a chamois which works for me - and is a reasonable cost. Also, AeroTech (in Pittsburgh area, has online site) has a shorts/bib model called the 'Classic', which has a less bulky chamois which is formed like more traditional chamois, and the shorts material is a good grade of lycra, and fits me well - it does use a more traditional
elastic leg band' to hold the shorts down and in place, unlike the newer wide leg band designs - I get along with both designs. Pearl Izumi also works well for me, but in their more pricy level / grade.
Having just done a search for 'thin cycling chamois', I came upon theblackbibs.com, which seems a very, very economical product. They claim broad use by many cyclists including upper level racers. Piqued me enough to order a pair in Navy - been looking for some decent Navy Bibs. Have plenty of black, but wanting some in Navy. $40. Worth a shot. Will report back after I get a few solid rides on them...
A little about "chamois'. Chamois are a mountain antelope, found in many of the mountainous places in earth. But specifically they became used for their soft leather, in all of Europe.
They are now strictly protected in all of Europe where they are found. Their leather is very soft and absorbent Used for products where soft, flexible, thin were highly desired; like gloves, hats, cycling shorts, lovingly wiping the thin paint your Fiat, Citroen or Jaguar ... Back in the day when we all used wool shorts, there, thankfully, was chamois, to save your bottom and precious parts (regardless of gender). A single layer of any fabric against skin, especially seated on a saddle, causes friction, which will eventually make you 'raw' or worse. So a soft, thin, clean real Chamois pad mostly eliminated that problem. Chamois pads were never intended to 'Pad', cushion that area, only reduce the possibility of irritation. The the saddle fits properly, then 12 days of rides, the sitzbones become accustomed to being the support for the body, whether they're on a 'cushion' or not. A lot of modern pads are overbuilt and bunch up when being used, and are the cause of problems. A thin pad won;t cause that.
We ALL used chamois cream... 'Chamois' after exposure to water (washing or otherwise) would harden upon drying. So 'chamois cream' was applied after washing, to again bring back chamois soft hand. But directly to the pad and only enough to bring back the chamois softness, no heavy greasing. That's the ONLY way we applied chamois cream. Can't imagine a direct application to the precious parts... LOL!
Since most all modern 'Chamois' pads in bottoms are synthetic; if they are clean, they should be their softest and least irritating nature - why use chamois cream and gunk up the area?
'Heat' from grease just starts the irritating sooner... The other thing about Thick or Large chamois pads is they keep the heat in. On a hot day, that's very uncomfortable. Gotta put your parts where they are least uncomfortable, that's my important consideration...
If you don't do long rides or are just less affected by all the issues from single layers (shorts with conventional underwear are total non-starter for me), then you have more options.
When it comes to cycling kit, especially bottoms, I'm very picky...
Ride On
Yuri
I appreciate this thorough and informative response! Really good info.
FL_Gator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.