Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.3

Old 07-26-23, 11:29 AM
  #1926  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Which ones?
Virtually anyone using the term "electrolytes," particularly in reference to some exercise-related symptom or performance parameter. There must many such annoyances for lawyers.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:32 AM
  #1927  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,207

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,833 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I wouldn't.
I generally DGAF about cars, but I'll at least spring for something with the gauge cluster not mounted in the center of the dash

Originally Posted by datlas
Hold out for a Saturn S series.

I dropped my 1998 SL off for routine oil change before the ride. Mechanic says it’s in fine overall working order. Cost for maintenance was $50. I think I ca. handle it.
Now that I am in the land of rust-free vehicles, what I really want to do is sell the truck and buy something older and really simple. Maybe put some money in savings, maybe buy a new bike frame...
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 07-26-23, 11:33 AM
  #1928  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,207

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,833 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It seems to be made of some kind of composite with thin metal shell over the front. The composite around one, and shortly after, another of the bolt holes broke with a pop and the bars were free to spin. The damage was completely invisible because of the cosmetic shell. Pretty ****ed up design in my opinion. I have the same piece on the other bike.
That's horrifying.

What model stem was it?
abshipp is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:34 AM
  #1929  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,925
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Virtually anyone using the term "electrolytes," particularly in reference to some exercise-related symptom or performance parameter. There must many such annoyances for lawyers.
Yes, there seems to be lots of stupid around these days.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:34 AM
  #1930  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
That's horrifying.

What model stem was it?
SL-K. The older model.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-26-23, 11:35 AM
  #1931  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Virtually anyone using the term "electrolytes," particularly in reference to some exercise-related symptom or performance parameter. There must many such annoyances for lawyers.
But they're what plants crave!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:37 AM
  #1932  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Virtually anyone using the term "electrolytes," particularly in reference to some exercise-related symptom or performance parameter. There must many such annoyances for lawyers.
Speaking of electrolytes, when the ER tested my blood on Sunday, both my sodium and potassium were low, which is why they gave me a bag of unnecessarily cold fluids and made me think my chills were coming back. Why in hell is it COLD? It's sterile saline, for cripes sake!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:39 AM
  #1933  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Yes, there seems to be lots of stupid around these days.
I listen to almost everything in the podcast world from Ken White and David French & Sarah Isgur and boy have I gained respect for the complexities of the law and the amount of stupid even among educated people on the subject.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:40 AM
  #1934  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I generally DGAF about cars, but I'll at least spring for something with the gauge cluster not mounted in the center of the dash
What you don't want to have everything on a giant iPad you have to look way off to the side to see? And way off to the side to change the song, or turn it up or down, or turn the AC up or down? Luddite.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:40 AM
  #1935  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Speaking of electrolytes, when the ER tested my blood on Sunday, both my sodium and potassium were low, which is why they gave me a bag of unnecessarily cold fluids and made me think my chills were coming back. Why in hell is it COLD? It's sterile saline, for cripes sake!
That's inhumane, but I assume they didn't have a warmer.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:41 AM
  #1936  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
But they're what plants crave!
Yes, of course. No argument there.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:43 AM
  #1937  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
That's inhumane, but I assume they didn't have a warmer.
They could use the one they put the blankets in, for when you start shivering after receiving a bag of ice cold saline.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:44 AM
  #1938  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I listen to almost everything in the podcast world from Ken White and David French & Sarah Isgur and boy have I gained respect for the complexities of the law and the amount of stupid even among educated people on the subject.
I'm still mad at Popehat for leaving Twitter.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:44 AM
  #1939  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
They could use the one they put the blankets in, for when you start shivering after receiving a bag of ice cold saline.
I wonder what they'll charge for that blanket?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:45 AM
  #1940  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm still mad at Popehat for leaving Twitter.
Poor guy has principles and many haters.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:46 AM
  #1941  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,524

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,766 Times in 4,127 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Note the highlighted time stamp.
What's your point? Are you and Seeds in the same time zone?
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-26-23, 11:50 AM
  #1942  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I wonder what they'll charge for that blanket?
Oh, crap - they gave me TWO of them!!!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:51 AM
  #1943  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Poor guy has principles and therefore many haters.
fify.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:52 AM
  #1944  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,396

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,004 Times in 3,236 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
fify.
And, admirably, from both sides.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:55 AM
  #1945  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,623

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,214 Times in 4,373 Posts
Wow, that UFO hearing is really something!
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 11:55 AM
  #1946  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,862

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,732 Times in 6,534 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
And, admirably, from both sides.
Though from the one side, it's generally just a lot of whining when he points out that sauce for the goose really is sauce for the gander, or pops their balloons.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 11:57 AM
  #1947  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,925
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I listen to almost everything in the podcast world from Ken White and David French & Sarah Isgur and boy have I gained respect for the complexities of the law and the amount of stupid even among educated people on the subject.
I'm working on a corporate stock purchase deal that involves a seven figure loan to my client. The bankers keep trying to fit it into a checklist that was written for deals involving the purchase and sale of a business' assets which is something completely different. It's like pounding a square peg into a round hole or trying to force a 2.5" wheel/tire into a fork that only clears 23mm, it just doesn't fit the deal. But, I just can't get it through the banker's head. It's not that complex and should not be over the head of a lender lending that kind of money. At the end of the day it just means that I get paid more.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-26-23, 11:59 AM
  #1948  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,814
Liked 9,670 Times in 4,738 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What you don't want to have everything on a giant iPad you have to look way off to the side to see? And way off to the side to change the song, or turn it up or down, or turn the AC up or down? Luddite.
Some Japanese econoboxes have the cluster in the center so they will easily work for right or left drive.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 07-26-23, 12:03 PM
  #1949  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,925
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
If I was in the market for a very low cost car that would fit a cyclist's lifestyle, it would probably have to be the Mazda 30CX/50CX cars. They are really nice for $25 - 35k.

And no instrument cluster in the middle. Conventional layout.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 12:05 PM
  #1950  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,814
Liked 9,670 Times in 4,738 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I seriously don't get why people spend lots of money for fancy headsets. I understand having decent, well sealed bearings. Maybe some burly tough ones for MTB applications.

I'd say that I'd run a Chris King if someone gave it to me, but honestly I'd probably sell it and buy a Cane Creek 40
I have a King on the Seven and a Cane Creek on the Gunnar. They look different but they seem to work the same.
big john is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.