Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Old 07-12-23, 03:37 PM
  #51  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
This 110%. First and foremost, don't start off with a bike the wrong size. You'll regret it for years, or til you get rid of it. Second, while you can make a too-small frame work, a too-large frame will always be a problem.

Finally, though, it's pretty insulting to go to the LBS and ask them to fix a problem you wouldn't have had if you just bought your bike from them in the first place. If they're a good shop, they'll do the work, but I wouldn't expect any breaks on price.

BB
I agree 100%. I typically buy local as I have with all of my previous bikes. I would have paid full price for the bike fit regardless of the outcome. It just doesnít make sense to knowingly try to make the wrong size work. It was just a knee jerk reaction in a moment of frustration. I only went with the Canyon because they are a reputable company and I felt this spec Endurace was a great value. (Carbon, 105 Di2 for 2699 plus shipping).

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
OP said the label on the box indicated the bike was a small. This seems like a genuine mixup. If Canyon was doing this en masse, not by accident on a few orders, Iím sure the internet would know about it and Canyon would be apologizing on all of its umpteen social media outlets.
you misread one of my posts. I ordered a small and the box and bike that showed up were medium. I am quite confident it was a mistake.
Trey83 is offline  
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-12-23, 03:48 PM
  #52  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,138

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10496 Post(s)
Liked 6,939 Times in 3,915 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
File this under "the number one reason why buying from your LBS is a great idea."
Oh good point, a bike shop has never pushed a customer into buying a bike in stock vs ordering one in the correct size. And a bike shop has never pulled stock parts off a bike to swap for something else, and then replaced with lower spec. ***

I could go on and on, or we could agree that people make mistakes, whether they work for a DTC brand or in a shop.
mstateglfr is online now  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-12-23, 03:56 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,653

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh good point, a bike shop has never pushed a customer into buying a bike in stock vs ordering one in the correct size. And a bike shop has never pulled stock parts off a bike to swap for something else, and then replaced with lower spec. ***

I could go on and on, or we could agree that people make mistakes, whether they work for a DTC brand or in a shop.
Wow, you've had some terrible experiences. I've been in and out of bike shops since the 1970s, and have never had that kind of experience.

Of course, even if you do find a bad bike shop, you do still have the option of test riding a bike or walking out the door empty handed if they can't give you what you want. If the shop simply makes a mistake, you can fix the problem right then and there.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 05:02 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.
I have no idea how you came up with any of these assumptions. I would simply take it at face value ie they accidentally shipped the wrong box. Anything deliberate seems highly unlikely to me.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-12-23, 05:03 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Double post - deleted
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 05:12 PM
  #56  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have no idea how you came up with any of these assumptions. I would simply take it at face value ie they accidentally shipped the wrong box. Anything deliberate seems highly unlikely to me.
I'm assuming they don't box them in San Diego, but I may be wrong.

I'm (obviously) speculating about the intentionality.

I was very familiar with the case where General Motors put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles deliberately, so I recognize that not everything is accidental.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 06:01 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I'm assuming they don't box them in San Diego, but I may be wrong.

I'm (obviously) speculating about the intentionality.

I was very familiar with the case where General Motors put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles deliberately, so I recognize that not everything is accidental.
Well you could never ďaccidentallyĒ fit the wrong engine to a car. Equating that sort of mass deception with Canyon shipping the wrong sized frame to a customer is ridiculous.

To do something wrong deliberately you need a motive, which I presume GM had in their case. But I donít see any motive for Canyon to deliberately ship the wrong frame size. So I would assume it was just a dumb mistake somewhere along the line.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 06:09 PM
  #58  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened, in exactly the same way a LBS can push someone to buy a bike that is not their size so that they can move the inventory. (Canyon, to their credit, strongly discourages buying a bike that is not the recommended size.)

Nonetheless, Canyon made a mistake (or whatever), not the OP. That much is completely unambiguous. They should do something more than simply allow him to return the bike, get on a waiting list, and meanwhile have him hope that they don't find a scratch on the frame or some other reason to deny him a full refund.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 06:49 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened, in exactly the same way a LBS can push someone to buy a bike that is not their size so that they can move the inventory. (Canyon, to their credit, strongly discourages buying a bike that is not the recommended size.)

Nonetheless, Canyon made a mistake (or whatever), not the OP. That much is completely unambiguous. They should do something more than simply allow him to return the bike, get on a waiting list, and meanwhile have him hope that they don't find a scratch on the frame or some other reason to deny him a full refund.
I donít think Canyon are that desperate to shift stock, or dumb enough to think sending the wrong size without warning might actually work. Itís a bit different at the LBS when there is a sales guy trying to convince you that the bike they have in stock is the right size, even if it isnít. Of course a reputable shop wouldnít do that either.

Iím also going to bet that the OP gets a full refund unless they took a baseball bat to the frame out of frustration.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 06:58 PM
  #60  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I donít think Canyon are that desperate to shift stock, or dumb enough to think sending the wrong size without warning might actually work. Itís a bit different at the LBS when there is a sales guy trying to convince you that the bike they have in stock is the right size, even if it isnít. Of course a reputable shop wouldnít do that either.

Iím also going to bet that the OP gets a full refund unless they took a baseball bat to the frame out of frustration.
OK, I am not asserting that this is the case. Somewhere back there, you or someone said it was implausible. It is not. It might very well be wrong. If it is right, I doubt it was a decision made by the CEO and board of directors.

It is odd that we are asked to give Canyon the benefit of the doubt, when Canyon seems a bit reluctant to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP (but it sounds like they came around). The part about the return inspection is what would have annoyed me.

Hopefully you are right.

They treated us well (once we got past the phone tree).
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 07:01 PM
  #61  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Wow, you've had some terrible experiences. I've been in and out of bike shops since the 1970s, and have never had that kind of experience..
I have. I wound up giving the bike away to my kid's (starving) flute teacher. It has put me off Trek, and prior to that I was a customer since near the beginning (1981) and a slobbering fan.

I don't think it is that infrequent in a high-pressure sales environment. I "should have" known better, but they worked their magic.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 07:59 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,510
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 653 Posts
Interesting argument. On par or exceeding the normal BF 'Argument Room" tradition. I TOLD YOU ONCE! One speculator arguing with another and another. But I have skimmed most of it (mostly to find out about the OP's actual customer service experience), so what does that say about me?
Camilo is offline  
Old 07-12-23, 08:17 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened...
Actually, you stated that it was more realistic that Canyon tried to do something underhanded than it was that they made a simple error.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 03:59 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Actually, you stated that it was more realistic that Canyon tried to do something underhanded than it was that they made a simple error.
That's what I thought was absurd. The idea that someone at Canyon made a conscious decision to ship the wrong frame just to make a sale is laughable. But I always underestimate the level of cynicism in the world today.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-13-23, 04:25 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

It is odd that we are asked to give Canyon the benefit of the doubt, when Canyon seems a bit reluctant to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP (but it sounds like they came around). The part about the return inspection is what would have annoyed me.

Hopefully you are right.

They treated us well (once we got past the phone tree).
It is far more odd to suggest it wasn't a simple mistake in this case. But I suppose Occam's razor is less fashionable than conspiracy theory.

I also missed the part where Canyon were doubting the OP's claim that they sent the wrong frame? A return inspection would be a pain, but not unexpected on a $3k item. I could have predicted that from my own experience of returning high value items for whatever reason.

This is the small risk you accept when buying direct, but with a little patience things can usually be sorted out. The only problem I see in this case is lack of stock in the correct size, which could potentially lead to a lengthy delay. Canyon stock has been very patchy over the last few years, with inventory selling out very fast. I don't know if this is still a problem now.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-13-23, 06:59 AM
  #66  
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,673

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
you misread one of my posts. I ordered a small and the box and bike that showed up were medium. I am quite confident it was a mistake.
Thanks for clarifying. I did misread it.
thin_concrete is offline  
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 07-13-23, 09:20 AM
  #67  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
I just dropped the bike off with FedEx. Now I am off to a few LBS to see if anything catches my eye.
Trey83 is offline  
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-13-23, 09:25 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I also missed the part where Canyon were doubting the OP's claim that they sent the wrong frame? A return inspection would be a pain, but not unexpected on a $3k item. I could have predicted that from my own experience of returning high value items for whatever reason.
The situation is really no different than with an LBS. If you called the LBS and told them they gave you the wrong item, they wouldn't issue a refund until you brought the item back.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 03:55 PM
  #69  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurace for the time being. I looked at 4 LBSís today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurace but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.

Last edited by Trey83; 07-13-23 at 06:28 PM.
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 05:13 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,674

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8768 Post(s)
Liked 4,238 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurance for the time being. I looked at 4 LBSís today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurance but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.

Congrats on the giant!
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 05:57 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurance for the time being. I looked at 4 LBSís today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurance but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.
I have both a Giant Defy (Advanced Pro 2) and an Endurace ( CF SL8 Etap) and the fit is almost identical in my size L. I have to say I prefer the Endurace, but mainly because it has a higher component spec. They ride much the same otherwise. Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy!
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 06:50 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,653

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurace for the time being. I looked at 4 LBSís today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurace but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.
Congrats! Well done.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Likes For bbbean:
Old 07-13-23, 07:04 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
ussprinceton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durham, NC 27705 USA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 65 Posts
could you please post pictures of your new Defy?
ussprinceton is offline  
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 07-13-23, 07:08 PM
  #74  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I suppose Occam's razor is less fashionable than conspiracy theory..
Occam's Razor asserts that all other things being equal, we should favor the hypothesis with the fewest ad hoc assumptions.

Perhaps it is an ad hoc assumption for you to assume Canyon will behave differently from other businesses, such as LBS and GM.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-13-23, 07:24 PM
  #75  
Full Member
 
teejaywhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.
You're just going all in with this aren't you.
teejaywhy is offline  
Likes For teejaywhy:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.