Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Old 07-18-23, 09:47 AM
  #126  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Someone else was saying that Canyon ship to Canada direct from Germany, while the US has itís own local Canyon warehouse. So that would explain stock differences. It seems to me that Canyon is not very focused on North American sales in general. Itís very different in Europe, where they have a very large presence.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 09:50 AM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Also worth noting that the Endurace is probably very close to a frame update in line with the new Ultimate which it is based on. So they may well be running stocks down ahead of a new release.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 09:55 AM
  #128  
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,482

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Someone else was saying that Canyon ship to Canada direct from Germany, while the US has itís own local Canyon warehouse. So that would explain stock differences. It seems to me that Canyon is not very focused on North American sales in general. Itís very different in Europe, where they have a very large presence.
Yeah, sounds right. It doesn't explain though why Germany doesn't ship to the US warehouses :-)
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 11:27 AM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, sounds right. It doesn't explain though why Germany doesn't ship to the US warehouses :-)
Who knows? I would guess it's something to do with import legislation direct from the EU into the US. Maybe having a US division gives them some breaks? Here in the UK they just ship orders direct from the factory inventory in Germany.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 02:25 PM
  #130  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure you've been on the Canyon site again recently, but their offer is a bit adding insult to injury?

That is kind of insulting. Thanks for posting that.
Trey83 is offline  
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-18-23, 03:45 PM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure you've been on the Canyon site again recently, but their offer is a bit adding insult to injury?
Originally Posted by Trey83
That is kind of insulting. Thanks for posting that.
They offered free shipping to you as a courtesy, but you're insulted because they periodically offer free shipping on select models to other customers?
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 04:12 PM
  #132  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They offered free shipping to you as a courtesy, but you're insulted because they periodically offer free shipping on select models to other customers?
well I think it was. they offered to have him pay for shipping and then apply to have it refunded later, when everybody else just gets free shipping without having to pay for it first. I did contact Canyon and they told me the mix up was only on the 105 Di2 bike. they ensured that the other groups were not involved in the mix-up.
jadmt is online now  
Old 07-18-23, 04:20 PM
  #133  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They offered free shipping to you as a courtesy, but you're insulted because they periodically offer free shipping on select models to other customers?
they told me I would have to pay shipping and then request for it to be refunded after the transaction. Now they are offering free shipping as part of a promotion to anyone. So they really are doing nothing for me that everyone else isnít getting. Yes, I find that somewhat insulting.
Trey83 is offline  
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-18-23, 04:46 PM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
well I think it was. they offered to have him pay for shipping and then apply to have it refunded later, when everybody else just gets free shipping without having to pay for it first. I did contact Canyon and they told me the mix up was only on the 105 Di2 bike. they ensured that the other groups were not involved in the mix-up.
Originally Posted by Trey83
they told me I would have to pay shipping and then request for it to be refunded after the transaction. Now they are offering free shipping as part of a promotion to anyone. So they really are doing nothing for me that everyone else isnít getting. Yes, I find that somewhat insulting.
Canyon offered to you the same thing they are offering, for a limited time, to customers that buy select models. Their offer to you presumably did not have a time limit, and it likely would have applied to any model you ordered. But, if you find that insulting, that's your prerogative.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 09:50 PM
  #135  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
If you want to continue sticking up for the company that messed up the order in the first place, please get your facts straight. Canyon US is offering free shipping on every bike for a limited time not selected models as you keep mentioning. This is including the discounted outlet bikes. But maybe if you extra bold your words it will make it true. You might want to consider picking one up with the great deal they are having. Might I suggest an Endurace with Di2 😉

You're correct, stating it in bold does not make it true. But, reality makes it true. I stopped counting when I reached 30 Canyon models that are not included in the present free shipping offer.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 10:48 PM
  #136  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're correct, stating it in bold does not make it true. But, reality makes it true. I stopped counting when I reached 30 Canyon models that are not included in the present free shipping offer.
And I deleted my post when I found one that didnít offer free shipping. The first dozen I checked including the discounted outlet bikes all offered free shipping. You win. Is that what you are looking for?
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:12 AM
  #137  
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,482

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
they told me I would have to pay shipping and then request for it to be refunded after the transaction. Now they are offering free shipping as part of a promotion to anyone. So they really are doing nothing for me that everyone else isnít getting. Yes, I find that somewhat insulting.
Were you charged for shipping on the original bike, and will that be refunded to you? It should be, since the shipping in itself was faulty, if you consider part of this service the actual correct picking of inventory off the shelf.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 06:25 AM
  #138  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Quťbec, Canada
Posts: 1,810

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
That is kind of insulting. Thanks for posting that.
Screw them! As I said a few posts above, they probably lost a lifetime customer
eduskator is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 07:41 AM
  #139  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Were you charged for shipping on the original bike, and will that be refunded to you? It should be, since the shipping in itself was faulty, if you consider part of this service the actual correct picking of inventory off the shelf.
Yes I was charged $99 for the original shipping and that will be refunded. Canyon has a free 30 day trial on all bikes except the outlet bikes. If you arenít happy with the bike within 30 days they will take the bike back and cover shipping both ways. It is a pretty awesome policy.
Originally Posted by eduskator
Screw them! As I said a few posts above, they probably lost a lifetime customer
I wouldnít say they lost me forever necessarily. But they definitely lost this sale and it will be something I have to consider when shopping in the future. I plan to buy my son his first drop bar road bike for Christmas and I am not sure If I will be ready to consider them at that point. Weíll see.
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 07:44 AM
  #140  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
UPDATE: The bike was estimated to be delivered on Monday but got held up by FedEx. It is showing as out for delivery today. So I am curious to see how long it take for Canyon to inspect and issue the refund. I will update accordingly.
Trey83 is offline  
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-19-23, 08:21 AM
  #141  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,471
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4063 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,700 Posts
Hope the inspection is just "yep, it's a medium bike in this box and not a similar weight of bricks".
__________________
Bikes: 1996 Eddy Merckx Titanium EX, 1989/90 Colnago Super(issimo?) Piu(?), 1990 Concorde Aquila(hit by car while riding), others in build queue "when I get the time"





himespau is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 10:34 AM
  #142  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Hope the inspection is just "yep, it's a medium bike in this box and not a similar weight of bricks".
Thatís pretty much what it should be. I have dozens of pictures of the bike showing it to be damage free and well packaged so I am not worried about it. If there is damage itís from FedEx and I can prove it. I never even finished tightening the seat post set screw because thatís when I realized the issue.
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:08 PM
  #143  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Update: FedEx is now showing the bike as undelivered: refused by recipient.

I noticed after re-reading the email with the return label it states ďOnce we receive your product, please allow 10-15 business days to be refunded. Note, Affirm and PayPal refunds do require additional processing timeĒ. So according to them it takes two to three weeks from when they receive the bike for me to get a refund. I am already two weeks into this and I have no bike or money. Now the package was supposedly refused?

This is ridiculous and I will be calling Canyon tomorrow. I may be immediately following that call up with my credit card company to dispute payment. They sent me the wrong bike and now me and my money are stuck in limbo with all of this nonsense.



Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:38 PM
  #144  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
I spoke with Canyon and their customer service rep said that it not possible to refuse a package. I asked to speak to a supervisor which they refused claiming one wasnít available and that they would email me. Minutes later I get an email apologizing for the necessarily long refund process. However it summarizes that there is nothing they can do but wait to receive the package and issue the refund within 10-15 business days.

meanwhile I am on the phone with FedEx and the representative confirmed that they refused delivery at 12:58 today and the package is in fact heading back to me which Canyon claimed wasnít possible.

I am admittedly no a patient person despite making every attempt to be reasonable but this is beyond frustrating.
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:49 PM
  #145  
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: West Coast
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
I spoke with Canyon and their customer service rep said that it not possible to refuse a package. I asked to speak to a supervisor which they refused claiming one wasnít available and that they would email me. Minutes later I get an email apologizing for the necessarily long refund process. However it summarizes that there is nothing they can do but wait to receive the package and issue the refund within 10-15 business days.

meanwhile I am on the phone with FedEx and the representative confirmed that they refused delivery at 12:58 today and the package is in fact heading back to me which Canyon claimed wasnít possible.

I am admittedly no a patient person despite making every attempt to be reasonable but this is beyond frustrating.
Thanks for keeping us posted. Hope it resolves quicker than it's shaping up to. Smokey
SpedFast is offline  
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-19-23, 04:50 PM
  #146  
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,482

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
I spoke with Canyon and their customer service rep said that it not possible to refuse a package. I asked to speak to a supervisor which they refused claiming one wasnít available and that they would email me. Minutes later I get an email apologizing for the necessarily long refund process. However it summarizes that there is nothing they can do but wait to receive the package and issue the refund within 10-15 business days.

meanwhile I am on the phone with FedEx and the representative confirmed that they refused delivery at 12:58 today and the package is in fact heading back to me which Canyon claimed wasnít possible.

I am admittedly no a patient person despite making every attempt to be reasonable but this is beyond frustrating.
Did they supply the label?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:56 PM
  #147  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 04:58 PM
  #148  
Ride 2 wheels
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Did they supply the label?
yes. It even includes their RMA number
Trey83 is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 05:45 PM
  #149  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 611 Posts
totally suxs. Fed-ex should be able to try and re-deliver. I would contact them altho they are hard to actually get ahold of a real person. probably an incompetent driver who tried to deliver to the wrong place. I have had that happen before.
jadmt is online now  
Old 07-19-23, 05:51 PM
  #150  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,471
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4063 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,700 Posts
If they supplied the shipping label, shouldn't the shipper that they're returning it to also be them?
__________________
Bikes: 1996 Eddy Merckx Titanium EX, 1989/90 Colnago Super(issimo?) Piu(?), 1990 Concorde Aquila(hit by car while riding), others in build queue "when I get the time"





himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.