Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano crank recall

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano crank recall

Old 09-25-23, 08:34 PM
  #51  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
But the 7800s are so ugly! I much prefer the 7410, The Most Beautiful Crankset Ever Made.
For aesthetics I prefer the Csmpy Record of the 80’s, but 7410 is pretty nice. Looking at these failures, I feel good with my affection for cold forged, solid, square taper cranks.
Point is offline  
Old 09-25-23, 11:02 PM
  #52  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,837
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2150 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Only pictures I have seen online are issues with drive side crank arm; have not read or seen any issues with the non-drive side.
Page 27: https://si.shimano.com/ru/pdfs/dm/RA...012-00-ENG.pdf
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-26-23, 02:46 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 211 Posts
So, how often can you go for an inspection? ..

Imo, the product lines are faulty by design and prone to delaminating. Thus, by not replacing every single crank they create a need for regular inspections of every non-replaced crank in the affected series.
Racing Dan is offline  
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 09-26-23, 03:33 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
So, how often can you go for an inspection? ..

Imo, the product lines are faulty by design and prone to delaminating. Thus, by not replacing every single crank they create a need for regular inspections of every non-replaced crank in the affected series.
If Shimano end up having to replace 760,000 cranks in the US alone, perhaps millions worldwide, then we can expect future Shimano supply issues.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 04:23 AM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If Shimano end up having to replace 760,000 cranks in the US alone, perhaps millions worldwide, then we can expect future Shimano supply issues.
Sure. So what? By not replacing every affected crack, they are not solving the safety problem, unless they implement a routine inspection of every crank, for the life of the products. It appears they didn't outside of one initial inspection. Honestly its BS, leaving the customer in limbo, as soon he/she has had the one scheduled inspection.

Du you even trust your local dealer to accurately diagnose defects by eye? Who is liable if the crank breaks after the LBS deemed it good? Shimano, LBS or YOU?

Last edited by Racing Dan; 09-26-23 at 04:27 AM.
Racing Dan is offline  
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 09-26-23, 05:05 AM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashton, MD USA
Posts: 1,296

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I got the email from my bike shop last week, brought my 2017 Domane with 14,000 miles on it for the inspection. The next day they called back, their inspection, and theoretically Trek looking at photos, showed no delamination, etc. The claim is that the vast majority of the 1% of cranksets that failed did so within the first few years.

Definitely not clear what happens if it fails from here. The frame and fork have a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. With a recall out, I'll bet that will be true for these cranksets. But, having one fail while riding is something I'd rather avoid.
jpescatore is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 05:26 AM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Sure. So what? By not replacing every affected crack, they are not solving the safety problem, unless they implement a routine inspection of every crank, for the life of the products. It appears they didn't outside of one initial inspection. Honestly its BS, leaving the customer in limbo, as soon he/she has had the one scheduled inspection.

Du you even trust your local dealer to accurately diagnose defects by eye? Who is liable if the crank breaks after the LBS deemed it good? Shimano, LBS or YOU?
I’m just saying it might not be very practical to replace that many cranks and certainly not overnight. Inspecting them is a more pragmatic solution, given that 99% of them are likely to be fine.

In an ideal world it would be nice if they could just send out 760,000 new cranks, but I’m guessing that’s simply not an option.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 05:34 AM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I got the email from my bike shop last week, brought my 2017 Domane with 14,000 miles on it for the inspection. The next day they called back, their inspection, and theoretically Trek looking at photos, showed no delamination, etc. The claim is that the vast majority of the 1% of cranksets that failed did so within the first few years.

Definitely not clear what happens if it fails from here. The frame and fork have a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. With a recall out, I'll bet that will be true for these cranksets. But, having one fail while riding is something I'd rather avoid.
The chances of it failing while riding are very slim, especially now you are likely to carefully check for any signs of delamination.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 05:51 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 413 Posts
Good thing the 12sp aren't part of this recall.

If I am not mistaken, they are also hollowtech. Does someone know what's different between the 12sp and 11sp?
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 09:46 AM
  #60  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,837
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2150 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Does someone know what's different between the 12sp and 11sp?
Shimano, and their liability attorneys.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 10:05 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
So, how often can you go for an inspection? ..

Imo, the product lines are faulty by design and prone to delaminating. Thus, by not replacing every single crank they create a need for regular inspections of every non-replaced crank in the affected series.
I agree. Unless they found something specifically defective such as adhesive, it goes back to a faulty design. The current approach is not increasing confidence on the consumer side.
seypat is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 10:17 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 126 Posts
I would hope that longer term, once they have the replacement cranks manufactured in quantity, that Shimano would offer a discounted replacement for affected cranks - ie, even if your crank isn't delaminating, you can take it in to your LBS, who will replace it for $100 with a (supposedly) safe crank. For anybody who's concerned it would offer peace of mind, and it would earn Shimano some goodwill amongst all of us that spent solid money on Ultegra and Dura Ace. Honestly, the best goodwill is to build something with bulletproof reliability in the first place, but I digress.

Considering I've been told what to look for, I'm ok with riding my cranks for now, but if Shimano doesn't:
a) take care of their customers
b) doesn't clarify what structural changes were made between late R-code cranks and later builds (including R71xx, R81xx, and R92xx cranks)

I can see a lot of people losing trust in the Ultegra and Dura-Ace brand names. I hadn't been planning on a new performance road bike, but given the newfound lack of trust, I'm entertaining the idea of getting something SRAM Red or Campy Chorus (or Record?) equipped in the next few months.
aliasfox is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 10:23 AM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,159
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked 2,746 Times in 1,566 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Good thing the 12sp aren't part of this recall.

If I am not mistaken, they are also hollowtech. Does someone know what's different between the 12sp and 11sp?
In one of the other threads on the crank recall, someone reported that since Shimano's factories are apparently no longer set up to produce 11-speed cranks, they're going to use different spacers to retrofit their 12-speed cranks as 11-speed.
Trakhak is online now  
Old 09-26-23, 11:01 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
In one of the other threads on the crank recall, someone reported that since Shimano's factories are apparently no longer set up to produce 11-speed cranks, they're going to use different spacers to retrofit their 12-speed cranks as 11-speed.
Read that too. From what I understand, 12sp have the ''Hollowtech II'' technology. I hope they figured out how to better bond their components. For what it's worth, I never had any issues with the 2 bikes I owned that were equiped with 11sp Ultegra.
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 11:47 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Read that too. From what I understand, 12sp have the ''Hollowtech II'' technology. I hope they figured out how to better bond their components. For what it's worth, I never had any issues with the 2 bikes I owned that were equiped with 11sp Ultegra.
They have all been named “Hollowtech II” since around 2004 when they went to external BB bearings.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 12:51 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
They have all been named “Hollowtech II” since around 2004 when they went to external BB bearings.
Oh, OK! Well, this confuses me even more as to what changed between the 11sp and 12sp Ultegra and DA that makes the 12spd not part of the recall. I thought they were manufacturing them differently now. May-be they're too recent or something.
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 12:57 PM
  #67  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 17,179

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9949 Post(s)
Liked 11,215 Times in 5,741 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Oh, OK! Well, this confuses me even more as to what changed between the 11sp and 12sp Ultegra and DA that makes the 12spd not part of the recall. I thought they were manufacturing them differently now. May-be they're too recent or something.
It's not just 12 speed cranks that aren't part of the recall. It's also 11 speed made after July 2019, which seems awfully specific, which suggests they made a change in manufacturing technique during the run.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-26-23, 01:02 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Oh, OK! Well, this confuses me even more as to what changed between the 11sp and 12sp Ultegra and DA that makes the 12spd not part of the recall. I thought they were manufacturing them differently now. May-be they're too recent or something.
Hollowtech II is not a specific design. Just a marketing term for a hollow crank. The II was introduced when they went from “Octalink” to external bearings a long time ago. I’m actually surprised we are not on Hollowtech X by now!

I would imagine Shimano were well aware of this manufacturing issue with some of their 11-speed cranks when 12-speed was designed. So I presume they tweaked the process to avoid the issue. Time will tell.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-26-23, 01:26 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,146 Times in 667 Posts
my crank is not in the recall group (yet), but regardless i'd like to know what a failing inspected crank (that was otherwise considered ok by the user) looks like just so i can look out for any signs.
spelger is offline  
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-27-23, 05:50 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
my crank is not in the recall group (yet), but regardless i'd like to know what a failing inspected crank (that was otherwise considered ok by the user) looks like just so i can look out for any signs.
Not sure mine fits the failing category, but I have the 6800 crankset. My LBS looked at it, and their main criteria was looking for fissures, but noticed the spider sat uneven on one of its arms, and sent it to Shimano. From there, the dealer says Shimano will inspect it and replace it, or if they think it's ok, send it back. Guess we will see soon.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 09-28-23, 08:49 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,293

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 700 Posts
I've got DA 9000 on my Bianchi. I inspected it myself but ill have to keep an eye on it from now on.
malcala622 is offline  
Likes For malcala622:
Old 09-29-23, 07:36 PM
  #72  
Ride more, eat less
Thread Starter
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,062

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 446 Posts
Investigating Shimano’s snapping cranksets:
What happened, unanswered questions and an engineer's report

https://road.cc/content/feature/inve...anksets-304173
cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:
Old 09-30-23, 02:59 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,293

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 700 Posts
Alot of the pictures I've been seeing of snapped cranksets I've noticed a few things.

1. The chainrings are super worn out.
2. There's some extensive shoe rub on the crank arms.

Both these would contribute to fatigue in cranksets. Just my observation and in no way am I saying shimano is in the clear.

Last edited by malcala622; 09-30-23 at 05:55 PM.
malcala622 is offline  
Likes For malcala622:
Old 09-30-23, 05:52 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Alot of the pictures I've been seeing of snapped cranksets I've noticed a few things.

1. The chainrings are super worn out.
2. There's some extensive shoe rub on the crank arms.

Both these would contribute to fatigue in cranksets. Just my observation and in no way am I saying shimano isn't in the clear.
Surprised that article doesn’t mention galvanic corrosion
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-06-23, 04:50 PM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 706

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 216 Posts
I took my bike in last week, 6800 series groupset. No visual problems, but neither of us wanted to leave the bike at the shop during prime fall riding season.

We're traveling in December and it is often too cold and wet to ride anyway. I'll have them do the full deal when they do my seasonal refresh.
bblair is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.