Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Old 12-17-23, 05:30 PM
  #8226  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,624

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,216 Times in 4,375 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
TMonk

coach possibly in the future. Wife approved trainer road, once i do that and either like it or hate it, i can convince her to let me get a coach.

As of right now, she just laughed at me. She also told me when i first started this addiction i would never own a bike that cost more than 400.00 us dollars.

omg.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 12-17-23, 05:38 PM
  #8227  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
omg.

It was actually 350.00. I had to beg her to let me buy this for 400.00

bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-17-23, 05:38 PM
  #8228  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,617

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,023 Times in 2,892 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
bampilot06 if it's in the budget, you could consider working with an actual coach IRL who will study your history, study your ride files, take your feedback and then develop a living/working plan for you. Most coaching services offer several tiers of service with monthly, weekly, or even daily review/feedback. Weekly is pretty common. That all gets pretty spendy, but its nice to have real-world feedback to make the workouts "living", adaptable, and integrate a human element vs an AI coach or a totally pre-canned plan.
My coach worked around his athletes' schedules, but you got an earful if he could tell you weren't all in or missed one. There are others out there that would stroke your ego, or "it's ok, you'll do better next time" you to death. Results weren't great, but you felt good about yourself, because coach said so.

Your excellent results weren't handed to you, you invested in yourself, be it time, discipline, and research. You train to train harder, and the race is the cherry on top.

Bike racing is hard.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-17-23, 05:40 PM
  #8229  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,494

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,328 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
"Chews Views".
‘Chews Views’ - his views -.also crazy … basically 100% bicycling

sometimes wonder how he won RAAM ‘only’ two times - although he did finish high number of other times
t2p is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 05:43 PM
  #8230  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,926
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
OK ok so maybe that's a stretch haha. But, I think I should at least be able to get out of the house a little more. That's already starting to happen. Even then when I "come back", my training and racing will be somewhat in between where it was pre-birth and where it is now. We are first time parents and are being hyper vigilant about this whole thing. She's a pretty good baby most of the time
year 1: infancy, you know what this is like

Age 1 starting to walk and run, so no taking your eyes off her

age 2: the terrible twos, this is real

age 3 to 5: soccer on Saturdays, and the demands of having a toddler 24x7, #2 joins the fray

age 5 - 12: the formative years filled with after school events all week long, sports, dance, music, etc. on the weekends and really every day

age 13 - 18: you have a daughter, everyday is filled with drama (and the daily stress of hoping she doesn’t show up pregnant one day)

When you ship her off to college, you can a lot some time to yourself. But wait, you still have one or more still at home, so you’ll just have put that idea off a few years.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-17-23, 05:50 PM
  #8231  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,494

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,328 Times in 1,283 Posts
^^^^^^^

this
t2p is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 05:52 PM
  #8232  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,816
Liked 9,670 Times in 4,738 Posts
Usually if I go up the hill from home I take the mtb and descend a dirt trail back to the neighborhood. Today I took the Gunnar road bike because I want to connect through and go home on the road.

There is lots of 10% on the climb and lots of bad pavement and sections of no pavement. I thought the Gunnar would be easier than the mtb but it wasn't on the steep, rough stuff. Plus, my legs were tired.

Anyway it was a fun ride and I saw people I know heading up a steep thing as I was descending and when I stopped at the bottom a lady who was trailing them stopped to chat with me. She was going to wait for them to come back down and said she knows a bunch of people I know. Small world, bicycling.

Would be a perfect ride for a gravel bike. Lots of "mixed surface" loops around here. The Gunnar is barely adequate and the brakes are not good enough.
Old pics: This dam can only be seen from one spot.

Gonna drop into that valley and climb out the far end.

Pretty down in the bottom.

Looking back at the climb out.

May to Little t - A bike ride in Los Angeles, CA (ridewithgps.com)
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 12-17-23, 05:54 PM
  #8233  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
year 1: infancy, you know what this is like

Age 1 starting to walk and run, so no taking your eyes off her

age 2: the terrible twos, this is real

age 3 to 5: soccer on Saturdays, and the demands of having a toddler 24x7, #2 joins the fray

age 5 - 12: the formative years filled with after school events all week long, sports, dance, music, etc. on the weekends and really every day

age 13 - 18: you have a daughter, everyday is filled with drama (and the daily stress of hoping she doesn’t show up pregnant one day)

When you ship her off to college, you can a lot some time to yourself. But wait, you still have one or more still at home, so you’ll just have put that idea off a few years.

I have the solution. No dating til she’s married.

No marriage til shes at least 35.


#problem solver.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-17-23, 05:54 PM
  #8234  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,494

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,328 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
It was actually 350.00. I had to beg her to let me buy this for 400.00

when I first got into biking (early 90’s) one of my soon-to-be bike / best friends said something like :

initially at this stage - you would never consider spending $1K on a bike - but in a year or so you probably will not consider a bike that sells for under $1K
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-17-23, 05:58 PM
  #8235  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,494

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,328 Times in 1,283 Posts
Cowboys down 31-3 late in 4th quarter - and starting QB (Prescott) still in the game

#dumb
t2p is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 05:58 PM
  #8236  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
My coach worked around his athletes' schedules, but you got an earful if he could tell you weren't all in or missed one. There are others out there that would stroke your ego, or "it's ok, you'll do better next time" you to death. Results weren't great, but you felt good about yourself, because coach said so.

Your excellent results weren't handed to you, you invested in yourself, be it time, discipline, and research. You train to train harder, and the race is the cherry on top.

Bike racing is hard.

Seems like majority of my team uses trainer road, and or train on their own. My “coach” is on the team, but stopped helping me when I started riding early mornings, plus he doesn’t seem to understand my schedule. My work schedule and family schedule I guess don’t align with his idea of commitment and seriousness.

He will answer questions if I ask, but he stopped keeping track of what I was doing and offering guidance.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 05:58 PM
  #8237  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,260

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,055 Times in 3,636 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
One week ban for mentioning relig**n outside of P&R.
Just for clarity’s sake Terry, he’s not banned for mentioning the word “religion”, he’s banned for discussing a religious topic. This is how rumors and grumbling start.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Likes For BillyD:
Old 12-17-23, 06:01 PM
  #8238  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,506

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,301 Times in 1,891 Posts
Originally Posted by velo vol
what story?
.
Ttku
DougRNS is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:02 PM
  #8239  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
when I first got into biking (early 90’s) one of my soon-to-be bike / best friends said something like :

initially at this stage - you would never consider spending $1K on a bike - but in a year or so you probably will not consider a bike that sells for under $1K

I stsrted this to lose weight. Didn’t really think I would ever wear kit, and the like. I started in sandles.

Once I started gaining some speed, that changed everything.


Almost died on that bike. Back in the day, thought I was a bad ass, because I would hammer the whole time I was pedaling. Cadence was like 40, and I would pedal through all the turns. (I noticed “cyclist” stopped pedaling on corners). I wasn’t a cyclist so I would hammer through the corners. One particular day I took a corner extra sharp while pedaling. Pedal hit ground lifted the rear wheel off the ground and I went into on coming traffic.

Started wearing a helmet the next day.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-17-23, 06:04 PM
  #8240  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,494

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,328 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Just for clarity’s sake Terry, he’s not banned for mentioning the word “religion”, he’s banned for discussing a religious topic. This is how rumors and grumbling start.

t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-17-23, 06:04 PM
  #8241  
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 5,272

Bikes: I've lost count.

Liked 1,022 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Good deal. My suggestion was to drop the Garmin as I was reading that. FWIW, I don't build workouts anywhere. 3x20", 4x10' 40/20... Etc. Nothing to build. The Garmin is to record, and record laps.

I don't have anywhere in the house either, which is why I go to the cold dark garage.
I thought the cold dark garage was just to get you in the right mental state. to crush souls.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:07 PM
  #8242  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
I thought the cold dark garage was just to get you in the right mental state. to crush souls.

Actually had cleaned an area of the garage to put it there, and and realized it wouldn’t be enough room. The cubby is like 6 inches too small, the trainer would be in the way of the car. I can’t leave it out in the open, worried kids or the wife will hit or something.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:11 PM
  #8243  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,926
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I stsrted this to lose weight. Didn’t really think I would ever wear kit, and the like. I started in sandles.

Once I started gaining some speed, that changed everything.


Almost died on that bike. Back in the day, thought I was a bad ass, because I would hammer the whole time I was pedaling. Cadence was like 40, and I would pedal through all the turns. (I noticed “cyclist” stopped pedaling on corners). I wasn’t a cyclist so I would hammer through the corners. One particular day I took a corner extra sharp while pedaling. Pedal hit ground lifted the rear wheel off the ground and I went into on coming traffic.

Started wearing a helmet the next day.
Started as a Sellerz! 😂
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-17-23, 06:18 PM
  #8244  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,042

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
age 3 to 5: soccer on Saturdays, and the demands of having a toddler 24x7, #2 joins the fray
Soccer for whom?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:21 PM
  #8245  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,926
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Soccer for whom?
Grand parents.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:31 PM
  #8246  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,042

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
.
Ttku
I was busy safely traveling southward on our beloved I-75.

Incidentally I discovered there's a Skyline Chili in Richmond, KY. I thought they were only around the Natti.

You're welcome.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:36 PM
  #8247  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,506

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,301 Times in 1,891 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I was busy safely traveling southward on our beloved I-75.

Incidentally I discovered there's a Skyline Chili in Richmond, KY. I thought they were only around the Natti.

You're welcome.
I'm aware. I ate at one in KY north of Lexington.
#Underwhelming
DougRNS is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 06:44 PM
  #8248  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,524

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,767 Times in 4,128 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I have the solution. No dating til she’s married.

No marriage til shes at least 35.


#problem solver.
Good luck with that.

Personally, I took the approach of trying to raise my kids to be ready to be out in the world, as a functional young adult, able to make good decisions for themselves. So far, things are going well (ages 19 and 25).
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 12-17-23, 06:48 PM
  #8249  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,042

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
#Underwhelming
Much like your posts.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-17-23, 07:02 PM
  #8250  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Much like your posts.

Shots fired.
bampilot06 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.