Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon saddle

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon saddle

Old 10-31-23, 06:55 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Carbon saddle

Trying one for the first time. No padding! I do not do long rides, 30-45 minutes typically. Iíve done three rides with it. Itís actually not terribly unpleasant! Featherweight at 115 grams. Iíll probably switch back to my padded saddle if and when I do a longer ride.
Biker Pete is offline  
Old 10-31-23, 07:25 PM
  #2  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,491

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked 1,379 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
... No padding! I do not do long rides, 30-45 minutes typically. Iíve done three rides with it. Itís actually not terribly unpleasant! Featherweight at 115 grams. Iíll probably switch back to my padded saddle if and when I do a longer ride.
My minimally padded Repente Quasar CR 2.0 is only 5 g heavier. However, it is only 260 mm long.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 10-31-23, 09:11 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,613

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 292 Posts
Same experience here. Although after a few rides on something similar I've decided they are to be reserved for photo shoots and targeted hill climb efforts only.
tFUnK is offline  
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 10-31-23, 10:41 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My minimally padded Repente Quasar CR 2.0 is only 5 g heavier. However, it is only 260 mm long.
This one is 270mm long by 143mm wide.
Biker Pete is offline  
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 10-31-23, 11:24 PM
  #5  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,491

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked 1,379 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
This one is 270mm long by 143mm wide.
The Quasar CR 2.0 is 260 mm x 142 mm, whereas all of my other saddles are 275 mm long. I don't miss the extra 15 mm length, but I cannot go any shorter; no 245 mm snub nose saddles for me. This saddle will probably work for you if you want to ride > an hour.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-01-23, 05:16 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Quťbec, Canada
Posts: 2,007

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 414 Posts
Switching saddle depending on your ride lenght...no thanks.

Very good looking though, but I prefer some padding to absorb my arse even if it's heavier.
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-01-23, 07:10 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Switching saddle depending on your ride lenght...no thanks.

Very good looking though, but I prefer some padding to absorb my arse even if it's heavier.
My other saddle is mounted on a seatpost so switching it out will be easy. ButÖ..the jury is still out on this saddle, Iíll decide after a few more ridesÖ.
Biker Pete is offline  
Old 11-01-23, 08:56 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 164 Posts
I bought something like this on Amazon for $10. Plastic fake carbon look. It's a bit flexible and actually super comfortable. I'm not sure how long it would last, though.

Jack Tone is offline  
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 11-03-23, 11:09 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 1,935

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I have been on bare carbon for 18 yrs. The most comfortable saddle I have owned. Almost all daily weekday 50mi rides. Carbon saddle wings flex but they need to fit the body.
popeye is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 04:56 AM
  #10  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 13,790

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,508 Posts
classic Selle SLR was 135g, padded too

__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-05-23, 12:03 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 416 Posts
I did the bare saddle for awhile, but I prefer some padding on the bumps. I picked this up from AliExpress for under $50 USD. It has sturdy carbon rails, a stiff carbon shell and cushy 3D printed mesh for padding. Weighs a bit more at 150-160g, but the 3D mesh always maintains it's cushion and it stays cool even on the hottest of days since it doesn't absorb heat.

jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-05-23, 02:11 PM
  #12  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,491

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked 1,379 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
classic Selle SLR was 135g, padded too
But probably super narrow just for pros with tiny hips, right?

My three other Selle Repente saddles (Artax GLM, Spyd 3.0, and Prime 3.0) are 142 mm wide and weigh just over 160 g each, and my Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Superflow is 145 mm wide and weighs just under 160 g, so it seems that 160 g is the happy medium for a regular-length, minimally padded saddle.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 01:06 AM
  #13  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 13,790

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But probably super narrow just for pros with tiny hips, right?

My three other Selle Repente saddles (Artax GLM, Spyd 3.0, and Prime 3.0) are 142 mm wide and weigh just over 160 g each, and my Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Superflow is 145 mm wide and weighs just under 160 g, so it seems that 160 g is the happy medium for a regular-length, minimally padded saddle.
maybe? not sure. I like the SLR so far. I'm a smaller rider at 5'9" and 145 lbs. Category 2 and active Master's racer.

I also have a couple of old school Selle Italia Flites around too - now those are comfortable. I think they're wider? IDK
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-08-23, 08:52 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
88ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
I tried a pure carbon saddle once, I had to make it myself. Quit using it because it left marks on any pants I rode with that were not pitch-black.
88ss is offline  
Old 11-08-23, 09:02 PM
  #15  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,491

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked 1,379 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
I tried a pure carbon saddle once, I had to make it myself. Quit using it because it left marks on any pants I rode with that were not pitch-black.
It could have been worse; your home-made saddle could have cracked, landing your gooch onto the seat post and/or the saddle rail clamp bolts.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 11-09-23, 02:30 PM
  #16  
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,563

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 671 Posts
Every time I read a thread about ultra-light all-carbon saddles I am reminded of the first time I saw one of those ~70g wonders on a group ride. I asked the owner "Is that thing comfortable; like, can you ride all day on it?"

His response was "All day, sure. But the next day, forgetabout it!"
Bob Ross is offline  
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 11-15-23, 02:56 AM
  #17  
Full Member
 
ebow3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I've the op's saddle for several years. Personally find it comfortable and often do 100km rides.
Once a car crashed into me, hitting me from the side on my hip, which in turn compressed the saddle between my legs. I'm glad I had this saddle, because the carbon flexed, instead of breaking up in my nether regions! As for the bike, a carbon Colnago CX-1, it broke in two and the carbon cut my knee up.
Anyway, I'm one of the few that actually like those saddles.
ebow3d is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:26 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ebow3d
I've the op's saddle for several years. Personally find it comfortable and often do 100km rides.
Once a car crashed into me, hitting me from the side on my hip, which in turn compressed the saddle between my legs. I'm glad I had this saddle, because the carbon flexed, instead of breaking up in my nether regions! As for the bike, a carbon Colnago CX-1, it broke in two and the carbon cut my knee up.
Anyway, I'm one of the few that actually like those saddles.
Ouch! Thatís an experience I hope never to have!
Biker Pete is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:36 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
I bought the bike used, a 2016 Kestrel. It came with an Oval Concepts carbon seat post and Prologo saddle. I got this new RXL carbon saddle and also an RXL carbon seat post. I cut off 8.5 cm of excess on the new seat post. So the new saddle and trimmed seat post saved a whopping 230 grams compared to the original saddle and seat post.
Biker Pete is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:41 AM
  #20  
I don't know.
 
RB1-luvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Meriden, CT
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 805 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I bought something like this on Amazon for $10. Plastic fake carbon look. It's a bit flexible and actually super comfortable. I'm not sure how long it would last, though.

I have one of these on a vintage Schwinn bmx bike that I ride in the driveway and at the school ground with my kids. It's better than the oem rock hard plastic seat the bike had. A friend bought one for his road bike and it only lasted a few hundred miles.
RB1-luvr is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 10:58 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I have one of these on a vintage Schwinn bmx bike that I ride in the driveway and at the school ground with my kids. It's better than the oem rock hard plastic seat the bike had. A friend bought one for his road bike and it only lasted a few hundred miles.
So far mine's lasted over 1000 miles on some pretty rough roads and I'm well over 200 pounds, so I'm pretty pleased with it.
Jack Tone is offline  
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 11-15-23, 02:52 PM
  #22  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 439

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
[QUOTE=Biker Pete;23058247]Trying one for the first time. No padding! I do not do long rides, 30-45 minutes typically. Iíve done three rides with it. Itís actually not terribly unpleasant! Featherweight at 115 grams. Iíll probably switch back to my padded saddle if and when I do a longer ride.
[/QU

The only pure carbon saddle that has tempted me is the Selle Italia C59 at 59g but to be frank there are simply more comfortable saddles at 115g or close to it. A Prime Primaversa Carbon Road saddle with padding is 132 and $120. A Bontrager Aeolus RSL is 142g but has foam padding.

Don't get me wrong I am super tempted to get a Berk Lupina Padded which is like 100g, but my $120 Prime Primavera Shorty at 170g and $120 Prime Primavera Road saddle at 132g are super comfortable and a fraction of the price while still be light
Jrasero is offline  
Old 11-16-23, 09:04 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,797

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I bought the bike used, a 2016 Kestrel. It came with an Oval Concepts carbon seat post and Prologo saddle. I got this new RXL carbon saddle and also an RXL carbon seat post. I cut off 8.5 cm of excess on the new seat post. So the new saddle and trimmed seat post saved a whopping 230 grams compared to the original saddle and seat post.
How long was that post before you cut it, and how much post is in the seat tube?
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS | 2023 Trek CheckPoint SL 7 AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.



jaxgtr is offline  
Old 11-16-23, 10:16 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Florida west coast
Posts: 125

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
How long was that post before you cut it, and how much post is in the seat tube?
I cut it so that there is about 1.5 inches extending below where the top tube intersects the seat tube.
Biker Pete is offline  
Old 11-20-23, 03:02 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I cut it so that there is about 1.5 inches extending below where the top tube intersects the seat tube.
The assumption being that thereís only about 1.5 inches of full diameter post on the bit you cut off below the minimum insertion point so as long as you leave that much, it should be fine? Ok well good luck. I honestly thought your photo was a joke at first.
choddo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.