Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New endurance bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New endurance bike

Old 11-14-23, 01:12 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
frdfandc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cecil County, Maryland
Posts: 154

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
As someone who worked in shops for almost 13 years as a bike builder, mechanic, lead mechanic, and manager, I'm not worried about the regular maintenance and 3 out of the 4 shops in the area where I worked, service just about any bike, so component warranty isn't an issue.

My concern is the lack of customer support. From everything I've read, Canyon makes a great product, has pretty good initial customer service during the sale, but any follow up customer service is in the wind. I've read some good reviews and quite a few bad reviews about trying to get warranty claims processed. Makes you think twice about buying DTC vs LBS, even though I'll pay more for a similar bike but with much better customer service.
frdfandc is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 09:36 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,777

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 957 Posts
There is a guy locally whom has a couple of canyon's and has them serviced at my local Trek shop. This shop will service any brand that comes through the door and will work with the brand on warranty needs as needed.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS | 2023 Trek CheckPoint SL 7 AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.



jaxgtr is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 02:13 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 277 Posts
I would rather not buy a Canyon because I want my LBS to stay in business and if they don’t make money, they won’t be around to do any of that servicing or anything else. I bought two Treks from them and quite often buy accessories I know I could get cheaper online.

$2k is a lot of money but then so is retail rental space and everything else that goes with keeping a business going. And if I’m going to keep a bike for 10 years, that’s about 4c per km

Last edited by choddo; 11-15-23 at 02:38 AM.
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-15-23, 08:13 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,760
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4040 Post(s)
Liked 4,428 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I would rather not buy a Canyon because I want my LBS to stay in business and if they don’t make money, they won’t be around to do any of that servicing or anything else. I bought two Treks from them and quite often buy accessories I know I could get cheaper online.

$2k is a lot of money but then so is retail rental space and everything else that goes with keeping a business going. And if I’m going to keep a bike for 10 years, that’s about 4c per km
I'm not willing to effectively sponsor my LBS by £2k on a single bike purchase.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-15-23, 08:16 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not willing to effectively sponsor my LBS by £2k on a single bike purchase.
I think the delta on mine was less as I got a discount but it was probably >1 and I am prepared to.

Otherwise we can all look forward to a world with no bike shops and amazon warehouses as far as the eye can see.
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-15-23, 08:27 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,760
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4040 Post(s)
Liked 4,428 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I think the delta on mine was less as I got a discount but it was probably >1 and I am prepared to.

Otherwise we can all look forward to a world with no bike shops and amazon warehouses as far as the eye can see.
Right here where I live there are 2 shops who focus entirely on bike service, fitting and custom builds. They have no big brand franchises. Their service is far better than any of the local Trek/Specialized/Giant dealers. There is also a mobile service guy available. Canyon bikes are everywhere here in the UK too. Certainly one of the more popular brands among club riders and racers. Canyon also sponsor a lot of events here.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:51 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Right here where I live there are 2 shops who focus entirely on bike service, fitting and custom builds. They have no big brand franchises. Their service is far better than any of the local Trek/Specialized/Giant dealers. There is also a mobile service guy available. Canyon bikes are everywhere here in the UK too. Certainly one of the more popular brands among club riders and racers. Canyon also sponsor a lot of events here.
well yeah they are popular because of the price :-)

As I mentioned, I am in the UK.

We had 2 bike shops (who also serviced of course) and 2 indie bike servicing places in my town. We now have one bike shop, a vape shop and 2 empty premises. So I am going to support them.
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-15-23, 09:33 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,760
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4040 Post(s)
Liked 4,428 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
well yeah they are popular because of the price :-)

.
It's not just the price though. They are also great bikes. Otherwise I wouldn't buy one. That's not to say they are better than other brands, but certainly on a par. The low price seals the deal for me. It's just too good to ignore.

The high street is turning into coffee shops and tattoo parlours.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-17-23, 05:40 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It's not just the price though. They are also great bikes. Otherwise I wouldn't buy one. That's not to say they are better than other brands, but certainly on a par. The low price seals the deal for me. It's just too good to ignore.
Of course, no one is going to buy a sh1t bike just because it's cheaper. I meant the price relative to similar quality stuff.
The high street is turning into coffee shops and tattoo parlours.
Grim and the longer we can push back on it, the better, hence I do what I can to spend with local suppliers because I value it but I don't expect everyone to either want or be able to do the same. I can't deny the amazon guy knows me well though. But that's about availability more than price.
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-17-23, 06:31 AM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,760
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4040 Post(s)
Liked 4,428 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Of course, no one is going to buy a sh1t bike just because it's cheaper. I meant the price relative to similar quality stuff.

Grim and the longer we can push back on it, the better, hence I do what I can to spend with local suppliers because I value it but I don't expect everyone to either want or be able to do the same. I can't deny the amazon guy knows me well though. But that's about availability more than price.
It doesn’t bother me that much. The high street retail bike shops here all have crap service anyway. Probably the reason why service based shops (usually located out of town) appear to be thriving. I buy most of my bike gear online from Sigma Sports, but they also have 3 B&M bike shops, just not local for me. I think 2 in London and one somewhere else. Maybe this hybrid retail/online model is the way to go for bike shops.

Canyon meanwhile appear to be aligning themselves with these local Indy service based shops via their “Canyon Experience Partnerships”. I just looked that up and it explains why my local shop is always stacked full of Canyon bikes for service. They are the official Canyon partner for our area.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-17-23 at 06:35 AM.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-17-23, 07:03 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It doesn’t bother me that much. The high street retail bike shops here all have crap service anyway. Probably the reason why service based shops (usually located out of town) appear to be thriving. I buy most of my bike gear online from Sigma Sports, but they also have 3 B&M bike shops, just not local for me. I think 2 in London and one somewhere else. Maybe this hybrid retail/online model is the way to go for bike shops.

Canyon meanwhile appear to be aligning themselves with these local Indy service based shops via their “Canyon Experience Partnerships”. I just looked that up and it explains why my local shop is always stacked full of Canyon bikes for service. They are the official Canyon partner for our area.
They do, they're both quite close to me and very good - and because of that I use their online delivery too, quite quick to their depot near Esher.

We've probably taken this a bit far off topic now, sorry all!
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-20-23, 11:58 AM
  #37  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 44 Posts
Get a Canyon. I just demo’d the Endurace CF SLX. Not I’m just waiting for my size to buy. Everything about it felt just right.
cweb99 is offline  
Old 11-21-23, 02:07 PM
  #38  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 439

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
Coming off a 2013 Specialized Roubaix, which rode like a dream. Starting to look for a new ride for the spring. I know I need to test ride and I will. Staying with a LBS.

Looking at the following.

Scott Addict 10 Rival AXS
Trek Domane
Cannondale Synapse

One of my questions is this.

Is there a big difference between traditional and dropped seat stays? The Addict and Synaspe have the dropped stays, while the Domane still has the traditional setup.

Also, anyone ridding any of these bikes? If so, what are your thoughts.
Drop seat stays don't increase comfort
Jrasero is offline  
Old 11-21-23, 05:07 PM
  #39  
Full Member
 
Sierra_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: NorCal
Posts: 341

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 225 Posts
I own 5 Canyons, although only 3 of them were new purchases. I've had good luck with them, never had to warranty anything. I do 100% of my own service, so I don't really rely on a shop. Even at that, the closest shop is an hour away from me and is a Trek corporate store rather than an indie dealer.

I've got a bunch of time on my 2020 Endurace CF SL I bought new, that's still the bike that I ride the most. I also have a Grizl sl8, Strive(enduro bike,) Ultimate CF SLX, and another Endurace. My only knock against Canyon, is the lack of customization on componentry. I'm pretty picky about bike set up, I almost always change out the stem length and/or bars when I get a bike. With the advent of integrated bars/stems and special 1 1/4" steerer, it kinda limits the options. It would be one thing if you could spec the stem length when you order the bike, but there really aren't options for this in the US. You can order the bar/stem seperately, but they're $400 and almost never in stock. I've even had to resort to custom-making my own stem caps when the plastic one cracked.

I
Sierra_rider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.