Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Old 06-14-24, 09:50 AM
  #4551  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,503

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,334 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
When I was a house painter I hated doing interior jobs wherein people were actually living.

I don't mind painting my own places though. Tempted to paint this place, it's just too damned tan!
​​​​​
I hate to paint - but fortunately we have a lot of wood … good part of living / dining area is oak … entire breezeway / family room (including ceiling) is cypress … mud room is knotty pine

these days a lot (most ?) people are down on wood and prefer painted finishes - they would paint our wood … and our fireplace stone also
t2p is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 09:52 AM
  #4552  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,503

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,334 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Just back from a hot and humid ride, I am glad I remembered my Halo. It was fine at the start but very warm by the end and I was wet all over.
big heat wave approaching !
t2p is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 09:54 AM
  #4553  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,503

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,334 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
New crankset and power meter came yesterday for the checkpoint.
I think this was the first time that installing something went super smooth. Had to raise the FD a couple mm for the bigger chain ring, was worried the chain I had wouldn’t be long enough but it went on, and length seems perfect. Test riding this morning, hopefully the 170mm length cranks don’t bother me.
how does your 48/31 front shift ?

mine is sorta / kinda klunky … no issues - just a little slow compared to most other fronts
t2p is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 09:56 AM
  #4554  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,742

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,632 Times in 1,893 Posts
what is this hot and humid you guys speak of?

West coast snooze alert - we are at 60F for the low, mid 70's for the high, lightly breezy and 60-70% humidity for the foreseeable future. It does get much hotter if you go like 15 miles inland though, over the hills and below the mountains. But not here! You get what you pay for.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-14-24, 10:02 AM
  #4555  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,056

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
what is this hot and humid you guys speak of?
Beats me.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 10:11 AM
  #4556  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,458

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,393 Times in 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Beats a hot and heavy ride, I suppose.
Depends on what you mean by that.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 10:15 AM
  #4557  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
how does your 48/31 front shift ?

mine is sorta / kinda klunky … no issues - just a little slow compared to most other fronts

Did you adjust the height of your FD when you installed the new cranks? I wouldn’t think the amount of teeth on the front would make a difference in shifting as long as everything is set up correctly.

Had no issues shifting today. Rear of Front.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 10:17 AM
  #4558  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I'm a trend-setter.

The shop owner just went titanium too.

moots?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 10:18 AM
  #4559  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
170 crank arm length feels absolutely amazing. I enjoyed the ride so much, it didn’t even bother me when a pick up driver decided to be a jerk.

Now I need 4 more cranks.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 06-14-24, 10:26 AM
  #4560  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,650

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,230 Times in 4,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
moots?
Looks like a Lynskey headbadge
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-14-24, 10:46 AM
  #4561  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,742

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,632 Times in 1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Beats me.
just checked Knoxville. Not humid but its freaking hot as hell. Sad.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 10:57 AM
  #4562  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,650

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,230 Times in 4,383 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
just checked Knoxville. Not humid but its freaking hot as hell. Sad.
I dunno man, that air's too thick for my taste

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-14-24, 10:58 AM
  #4563  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
what is this hot and humid you guys speak of?

West coast snooze alert - we are at 60F for the low, mid 70's for the high, lightly breezy and 60-70% humidity for the foreseeable future. It does get much hotter if you go like 15 miles inland though, over the hills and below the mountains. But not here! You get what you pay for.
Shhh! We already have enough people here!

Low of 52 overnight, high is supposed to be 70 today but it's already 66, so it'll be more like mid-70s. Yesterday's ride was all about micro- if not nanoclimates. In my 24 mile out-and-back, it was high 60s when I started with light winds, about 70 degrees going through Woodside, down to 57 degrees and windy in Portola Valley, then right back through that till I got to about 1 mile and a half from the car, where I hit the advancing cold/windy and had to fight upwind back to the car. And it was even colder and windier when I got home, which made getting out of the car in shorts and jersey a bit chilling.

The last parts for the LeMond Project arrived last night - a pair of PD-7401 pedals. These were Shimano's first clipless Dura Ace pedals, which were actually made by Look, so the work with Delta cleats. With them installed, and the bar taped, the LeMond is ready for its first shakedown ride this afternoon. I brought tools for adjustments, just in case. I can pack a couple allen wrenches in my jersey pockets, but the headset wrenches will need to stay in the car.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-14-24, 10:59 AM
  #4564  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,650

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,230 Times in 4,383 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

The last parts for the LeMond Project arrived last night - a pair of PD-7401 pedals. These were Shimano's first clipless Dura Ace pedals, which were actually made by Look, so the work with Delta cleats. With them installed, and the bar taped, the LeMond is ready for its first shakedown ride this afternoon. I brought tools for adjustments, just in case. I can pack a couple allen wrenches in my jersey pockets, but the headset wrenches will need to stay in the car.
Have I been missing pics of the Lemond or have you just not been posting any?
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:10 AM
  #4565  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Have I been missing pics of the Lemond or have you just not been posting any?
I've been posting them over in C&V.

The initial thread - from inception through teardown.

The rebuild thread. - which will also get a nice set of outdoor shots of the bike when I have a chance.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-14-24, 11:24 AM
  #4566  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,458

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,393 Times in 4,341 Posts
We took Jackie to the vet. She did not enjoy the experience but I hope she will forgive me.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:28 AM
  #4567  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We took Jackie to the vet. She did not enjoy the experience but I hope she will forgive me.
I'm sure it's nothing that her surreptitiously crapping in one of your shoes won't fix.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:28 AM
  #4568  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,458

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,393 Times in 4,341 Posts
Hey indyfabz ever stop at the Lapp Farm Ice Cream place in Lancaster County? We are heading there tomorrow. I love a destination ride with a decadent snack stop.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-14-24, 11:30 AM
  #4569  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,458

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,393 Times in 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
what is this hot and humid you guys speak of?

West coast snooze alert - we are at 60F for the low, mid 70's for the high, lightly breezy and 60-70% humidity for the foreseeable future. It does get much hotter if you go like 15 miles inland though, over the hills and below the mountains. But not here! You get what you pay for.
Dew point is the best metric for humidity. This morning it was 68. Anything over 65 is unpleasant.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-14-24, 11:31 AM
  #4570  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,214

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,847 Times in 1,293 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've been posting them over in C&V.
New bike projects are basically not possible for me at the moment due to space & budget limitations, so I try to not get terribly worked up over the idea of a new frame or potential project. Part of this endeavor is intentionally avoiding looking through the C&V sales forum. So it was quite a shock to the system when after I put a comment in your thread about how nice your particular example is and that I was previously looking for one for myself, I got a message from another member saying more or less "hey I've got a frameset in pretty good shape in my basement, you interested?"

For better or worse it was the wrong size, but only by a little bit. I'll admit to looking over geometry charts pretty dang close to see if I could make it fit but if I was going to make the investment it would have to be the right size.
abshipp is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:39 AM
  #4571  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,712

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,951 Times in 2,241 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sure it's nothing that her surreptitiously crapping in one of your shoes won't fix.
We had a cat once that hated my wife and when she wasn't crapping on my wife's side of the bed, she was crapping in my wife's shoes.

#CatNoMore
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:40 AM
  #4572  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,458

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,393 Times in 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Shhh! We already have enough people here!

Low of 52 overnight, high is supposed to be 70 today but it's already 66, so it'll be more like mid-70s. Yesterday's ride was all about micro- if not nanoclimates. In my 24 mile out-and-back, it was high 60s when I started with light winds, about 70 degrees going through Woodside, down to 57 degrees and windy in Portola Valley, then right back through that till I got to about 1 mile and a half from the car, where I hit the advancing cold/windy and had to fight upwind back to the car. And it was even colder and windier when I got home, which made getting out of the car in shorts and jersey a bit chilling.

The last parts for the LeMond Project arrived last night - a pair of PD-7401 pedals. These were Shimano's first clipless Dura Ace pedals, which were actually made by Look, so the work with Delta cleats. With them installed, and the bar taped, the LeMond is ready for its first shakedown ride this afternoon. I brought tools for adjustments, just in case. I can pack a couple allen wrenches in my jersey pockets, but the headset wrenches will need to stay in the car.
I have a pair of those. I am told they might be the “best” pedal to use delta cleats. I finally switched from delta to keo cleats about 15 years ago.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:51 AM
  #4573  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
New bike projects are basically not possible for me at the moment due to space & budget limitations, so I try to not get terribly worked up over the idea of a new frame or potential project. Part of this endeavor is intentionally avoiding looking through the C&V sales forum. So it was quite a shock to the system when after I put a comment in your thread about how nice your particular example is and that I was previously looking for one for myself, I got a message from another member saying more or less "hey I've got a frameset in pretty good shape in my basement, you interested?"

For better or worse it was the wrong size, but only by a little bit. I'll admit to looking over geometry charts pretty dang close to see if I could make it fit but if I was going to make the investment it would have to be the right size.
Yeah, I'm not sure where the hell I'm gonna park the LeMond. As it stands, I've got 4 hanging on the walls and 6 lined up on the floor. I think I need to rearrange the garage a little.

Oh, and things being the wrong size can be a lifesaver. When I was looking at Moser Leader AX bikes and frames as the potential victim for this project, there was at least one really, really nice one - but it's a 56 with a 55cm TT, and I KNOW it wouldn't fit. The other thing is it doesn't have the required quill seatpost, which I'd have to source elsewhere. AND it's in Italy, so that's another $100 to ship.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:52 AM
  #4574  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
We had a cat once that hated my wife and when she wasn't crapping on my wife's side of the bed, she was crapping in my wife's shoes.

#CatNoMore
When I was a kid, a beautiful black cat attached herself to us for a while. Then she crapped in one of Dad's shoes.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 11:57 AM
  #4575  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,878

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,752 Times in 6,541 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have a pair of those. I am told they might be the “best” pedal to use delta cleats. I finally switched from delta to keo cleats about 15 years ago.
I started using Keos a couple years back, but by then I already had 8 bikes. I was definitely not going to buy 8 pairs of pedals, even at $50 each. So instead I got another pair of cheaper Sidis and put the Delta cleats on them, put the Keo cleats on my good shoes, and put Keo pedals on all my "modern" (i.e. >8speed) bikes. I thought about getting Keos for the LeMond, but since I built the thing just to have a bike with 7410 Dura Ace, I only thought about it briefly.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.