Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For those who like to rip on their fellow cyclists for not supporting their LBS

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

For those who like to rip on their fellow cyclists for not supporting their LBS

Old 08-10-05, 04:07 PM
  #1  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who like to rip on their fellow cyclists for not supporting their LBS

I already dont have friends but Im gonna be hated for this one.

There seems to be a lot of people here that get down on others for not supporting their LBS. To you I ask, do you discourage those who frequent Starbucks or Blockbuster? I used to be able to go to my local coffee shop and sit comfortably on their nasty couch, chat and people watch. Along came Starbucks with their get in get out atmosphere and their coffee drones turning coffee into a McDonalds type transaction. And Blockbuster??? I know not everyones gonna understand this but they came along and what happened to your local video store that carried porn? Where do you guys get your porn now, order it online or go to a specialty store? Of course everyone has different needs and wants. You may say the consumers have spoken by taking their money elsewhere due to either lower prices or quality of service or just comfort in uniformity. I cant blame people for spending their money elsewhere and not supporting the places I thought were important. It's part of reality and the way things work.

Why chastise the consumer? Why not suggest that your LBS needs to change with the times and meet the peoples needs if they want to stay in business? I'm not saying they have to lower their prices, but people will go where they feel their money is best spent. The LBS will just have to make sure the difference in cost will have to be justified by the services they can provide.

Its not fair for anyone to get upset that Im not spending more to keep a business running just because THEY want it around.
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:18 PM
  #2  
dougpals
GU Gone?
 
dougpals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Exit
I already dont have friends but Im gonna be hated for this one.

There seems to be a lot of people here that get down on others for not supporting their LBS. To you I ask, do you discourage those who frequent Starbucks or Blockbuster? I used to be able to go to my local coffee shop and sit comfortably on their nasty couch, chat and people watch. Along came Starbucks with their get in get out atmosphere and their coffee drones turning coffee into a McDonalds type transaction. And Blockbuster??? I know not everyones gonna understand this but they came along and what happened to your local video store that carried porn? Where do you guys get your porn now, order it online or go to a specialty store? Of course everyone has different needs and wants. You may say the consumers have spoken by taking their money elsewhere due to either lower prices or quality of service or just comfort in uniformity. I cant blame people for spending their money elsewhere and not supporting the places I thought were important. It's part of reality and the way things work.

Why chastise the consumer? Why not suggest that your LBS needs to change with the times and meet the peoples needs if they want to stay in business? I'm not saying they have to lower their prices, but people will go where they feel their money is best spent. The LBS will just have to make sure the difference in cost will have to be justified by the services they can provide.

Its not fair for anyone to get upset that Im not spending more to keep a business running just because THEY want it around.
Feel better now? I hope so. For heaven's sake, it is your money and your life...spend both as you see fit.

DP
dougpals is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:22 PM
  #3  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougpals
Feel better now? I hope so. For heaven's sake, it is your money and your life...spend both as you see fit.

DP

yeah i do... it doesnt take much.
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:28 PM
  #4  
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...
 
womble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you are saying that all LBS's should get with the times and turn into big, cheap online stores?
womble is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:30 PM
  #5  
Matt Gaunt
Senior Member
 
Matt Gaunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting analogy of porn-needers/LBS-frequenters!
__________________
Matt
2018 Enigma Excel Pic|| 2010 Kinesis Decade Convert2 Pic || 2008 Kinesis RC2 Pics || 2007 Kinesis Pha5e Pics || 2005 Kinesis RC Pics || 1996 Raleigh Max Pics
Matt Gaunt is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:32 PM
  #6  
teamawe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS to have a pr0n section by the unicycles, problem solved!
teamawe is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:35 PM
  #7  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im saying they cant complain about going down if people find other places to spend their money.

It wasnt an analogy. It was an example of businesses that gave way to newer things that had more of a demand.

I've never personally rented porn, didnt say I've never seen it, just never rented it. I used that as an example cuz my parents had a video store when I was a kid and when blockbuster came around things changed.
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:35 PM
  #8  
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!
 
baj32161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Burlington ON, Canada
Posts: 6,007

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 23 Posts
well I have seen the term "Bike Porn" used many times in the forums....maybe there is a connection.
__________________
“A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence. ”

― Bruce Lee
baj32161 is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:36 PM
  #9  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teamawe
LBS to have a pr0n section by the unicycles, problem solved!
and a coffee bar and couches.

wow, thats not a bad idea... the coffee and hang out area at the bike shop
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:37 PM
  #10  
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i also rip on people who spend hundreds of dollars a year on hollywood movies and never see one independant film. i rip on people who read harry potter but completely ignore the thousands of other great books that came out this year. i rip on people who stuff their faces and get fat off cheap cheeseburgers when there is a small deli down the block selling fresh healthy food. i rip on people.... ah, forget it. my point is that the masses can destroy great things without even realizing it.
timmhaan is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:40 PM
  #11  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your analogies are out of left field or somewhere, but I agree with your main point- what's the big deal about supporting the LBS, especially when almost all of the LBS's I've been to put the BS in LBS.
DXchulo is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:41 PM
  #12  
soni_guin
noob
 
soni_guin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek 400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike industry got the internet right- build as much interest as you can in the product, but don't ***** out your stuff for the lowest price on it. Keep people going to brick and mortar stores for the stuff, and they'll be happier with the fit and the experience.

Electronics, on the other hand, suck. Every asswipe with an IP address sells plasma tv's for less than my wholesale cost, and I'm expectd to compete with that.
soni_guin is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:45 PM
  #13  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
i also rip on people who spend hundreds of dollars a year on hollywood movies and never see one independant film. i rip on people who read harry potter but completely ignore the thousands of other great books that came out this year. i rip on people who stuff their faces and get fat off cheap cheeseburgers when there is a small deli down the block selling fresh healthy food. i rip on people.... ah, forget it. my point is that the masses can destroy great things without even realizing it.

I dont frequent movies, never read any harry potter, i dont eat fast food... I DO shop online. Anyways, my point is, you cant take away a free person's right to choose. I personally dont care for the things mentioned but that's great if other people enjoy them. I dont care for the faddish Livestrong merchandise announcing to the world that you are a philanthropist either.. but I think its great that other people like the stuff cuz it encourages those to chip in who wouldnt without getting something in return.

What you find great other people may not care for. It's called individualism
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:47 PM
  #14  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Your analogies are out of left field or somewhere, but I agree with your main point- what's the big deal about supporting the LBS, especially when almost all of the LBS's I've been to put the BS in LBS.
Not analogies... EXAMPLES... LOL. I wouldnt equate a cyclist to a porn feind. Well, i guess its not too far off either. They are both very pationate about something and spend lots of money on it
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:50 PM
  #15  
144 BCD
172.5mm
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They seem to get pretty bitter sometimes if the part didn't come from them. One time I couldn't find my chain tool so I asked LBS if they would do it.

They asked me where I got the chain from. After I told them they said they wouldn't work on my bike.
144 BCD is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:55 PM
  #16  
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 2,669

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 144 BCD
They seem to get pretty bitter sometimes if the part didn't come from them. One time I couldn't find my chain tool so I asked LBS if they would do it.

They asked me where I got the chain from. After I told them they said they wouldn't work on my bike.
A teammate of mine had that happen to him at an LBS as well. We had a good laugh about it. Not only is he never going to go back to that store again, but neither am I. I don't see how any store employee or owner could think that anything positive can come out of having that kind of policy.
Sprocket Man is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:55 PM
  #17  
jayroc
dirty ol' man
 
jayroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to look at the whole picture. This is a little misguided. When you shop for a bike or bike parts elsewhere, like wal-mart, where is your money going? It's going into a select few billionaires projects, it goes into their crappy chinese manufacturing plants, so they can keep making junk to sell to the sleepy consumer. Do you think these people care if they made $300 sales from a bike, or from patio furniture, baby clothes, whatever else they sell? The sporting goods retailers are a little better, but they even are multinationals(mostly). at least they are remotely helpful. When you support an LBS, you support the owner of THAT store, his/her employees, and most of all your community. Make sure you watch every transaction you make. You can even buy the wrong bike, and support the wrong company I guess.
jayroc is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 04:56 PM
  #18  
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by No Exit
I dont frequent movies, never read any harry potter, i dont eat fast food... I DO shop online. Anyways, my point is, you cant take away a free person's right to choose. I personally dont care for the things mentioned but that's great if other people enjoy them. I dont care for the faddish Livestrong merchandise announcing to the world that you are a philanthropist either.. but I think its great that other people like the stuff cuz it encourages those to chip in who wouldnt without getting something in return.

What you find great other people may not care for. It's called individualism
but i'm for the individual. i'm for the guy running his own business. there's more individuality in that then 10,000 credit card transactions clearing through a bank somewhere while a factory worker assembles your order from a giant warehouse.

i want people to be individuals, i want them to think for themselves. if they decide online is the best way to go, than that's fine. i shop online too, when it makes sense. but many people do exactly what everyone else does without even considering supporting a local business. i may be old fashion in my thinking, but i thoughly enjoy having small businesses around. everywhere you travel now looks exactly the same. i can't tell the difference between tacoma and tucson anymore. the same 10 business are on every corner. i just don't see what's so "individual" about that.
timmhaan is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:07 PM
  #19  
spackler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Exit
and a coffee bar and couches.

wow, thats not a bad idea... the coffee and hang out area at the bike shop
We have a bike shop that has that and it is nice!


Originally Posted by timmhaan
but i'm for the individual. i'm for the guy running his own business. there's more individuality in that then 10,000 credit card transactions clearing through a bank somewhere while a factory worker assembles your order from a giant warehouse.

i want people to be individuals, i want them to think for themselves. if they decide online is the best way to go, than that's fine. i shop online too, when it makes sense. but many people do exactly what everyone else does without even considering supporting a local business. i may be old fashion in my thinking, but i thoughly enjoy having small businesses around. everywhere you travel now looks exactly the same. i can't tell the difference between tacoma and tucson anymore. the same 10 business are on every corner. i just don't see what's so "individual" about that.
Argh... who is John Galt?
spackler is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:10 PM
  #20  
shnapper
Speed Junky
 
shnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 322

Bikes: The nice ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost me at block buster and where do you get your porn? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!

This is one of those threads that makes me feel like I'm on drugs because I don't understand it. When the truth is understanding and making sense of it requires drugs HEHEHHHEHEHEHEE!

I did get one thing out of it, this guy is really bummed about the porn availability in his area.

shnapper is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:12 PM
  #21  
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spackler
Argh... who is John Galt?
lol, good one.
timmhaan is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:14 PM
  #22  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that things all look the same but these are the businesses that seem to be more efficient or appealing to people in some way, otherwise they wouldnt be putting the small shops under.

Honestly, should I try to spend 50% more on the same product just because it keeps the LBS around? If I felt I was getting some sort of intrinsic value for the transaction, perhaps. BUT, when the bike shop owner/employee could care less for you as a person or your needs, and only looks at the dollars you can bring them, I dont think they're any better than the million dollar chain stores.
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:19 PM
  #23  
Ganesha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Exit
I already dont have friends but Im gonna be hated for this one.

I used to be able to go to my local coffee shop and sit comfortably on their nasty couch, chat and people watch. Along came Starbucks with their get in get out atmosphere and their coffee drones turning coffee into a McDonalds type transaction.
So is this an argument for or against Starbucks. Does your local coffee shop have some rule that all coffee must be consumed before you leave? Does your local starbucks have a no loitering policy?
Ganesha is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:21 PM
  #24  
No Exit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 592

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ganesha
So is this an argument for or against Starbucks. Does your local coffee shop have some rule that all coffee must be consumed before you leave? Does your local starbucks have a no loitering policy?
Neither for or against. I liked my old coffee shops. You CAN hang out at starbucks but its really not the same. The hard chairs and little tables. Its so cold and soulless... its like the difference between going to your local diner or eating at your moms house and going to McDonalds.
No Exit is offline  
Old 08-10-05, 05:23 PM
  #25  
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by No Exit
BUT, when the bike shop owner/employee could care less for you as a person or your needs, and only looks at the dollars you can bring them, I dont think they're any better than the million dollar chain stores.
i think we can agree on that. i wouldn't support a business that didn't give me good service or value - regardless of whether it's online or down the block.
timmhaan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.