Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant bike, between sizes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant bike, between sizes?

Old 08-15-05, 05:49 PM
  #1  
dagna
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant bike, between sizes?

I went to my local Giant dealer this morning to look at TCRs, though I wasn't sure which one (though folks here have made the Limited sound pretty nice ). After test-riding, I am still unsure of the correct size for me. The LBS only had two built Giant road bikes, so I test rode them both--a medium TCR Comp 1 and a small OCR3. The medium felt too big, and the small felt rather scrunched, even after they lowered the adjustable stem and put the seat way up.

I am 5'4" with a 32" inseam, so the Giant graph indicates small as the correct size. Though the medium felt better overall, that could certainly be a function of it being a much nicer, full-carbon bike. It was the owner's bike and had a 120mm stem on it that they weren't about to switch out for a test ride, so whether it would have felt heavenly with an 80 or 90mm stem is unknown.

The shop guys said I could probably get away with ordering either size, but that the small would most likely be easier to dial in.

My question: is there enough overlap between small and medium that they should be able to adjust one or the other to fit, or is there a no-man's-land where one falls between sizes and can just never get that brand of bike to fit properly?

My apologies if this question has been done to death, but I tried searching the forum and didn't come up with any info.

Thanks for any input,
Dagna
dagna is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 05:54 PM
  #2  
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you want an 80 or 90 stem if the 120 felt good? I know what works for,me and am between sizes on Giants so will never mess with one.Try something else before throwing down the clams.
sydney is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:05 PM
  #3  
Zouf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good rule is to look at effective top tube lenght, rather than seat tube size; use the fit guides at Competitive Cyclist (www.competitivecyclist.com) and/or Wrench Science (www.wrenchscience.com), to get an approximation of the target top tube lenght, then use that dimension to help pick the best size.
Zouf is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:12 PM
  #4  
pseudobrit
1.9lb/in
 
pseudobrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Susquehanna shoreline
Posts: 1,360

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagna
The medium felt too big, and the small felt rather scrunched, even after they lowered the adjustable stem and put the seat way up.
Sounds like Giant doesn't make a bike that fits you. Patronize a manufacturer who builds a full range of sizes instead of that S-M-L crap. Even K-mart underwear come in a wider range of sizes than Giant's bikes.
pseudobrit is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:20 PM
  #5  
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.
 
dekalbSTEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NIU town
Posts: 2,271

Bikes: see sig, and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The TCR and OCR have quite different geometry. If you are going to compare frame sizes, you need to do it on the same model bike. Where are you located that your Giant dealer only has 2 bikes built up? Does he carry any other brands? If he really wanted to sell you a bike, he would gladly swap out the stem for a test ride. It's a 3 minute process.
dekalbSTEEL is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:30 PM
  #6  
SteveAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
The TCR and OCR have quite different geometry. If you are going to compare frame sizes, you need to do it on the same model bike. Where are you located that your Giant dealer only has 2 bikes built up? Does he carry any other brands? If he really wanted to sell you a bike, he would gladly swap out the stem for a test ride. It's a 3 minute process.
Agreed, I rode an OCR and a TCR, 2 different bikes. You need to ride the TCR in both sizes for a fair comparison.
SteveAZ is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:36 PM
  #7  
ShinyBaldy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
Sounds like Giant doesn't make a bike that fits you. Patronize a manufacturer who builds a full range of sizes instead of that S-M-L crap. Even K-mart underwear come in a wider range of sizes than Giant's bikes.
actually for the TCR, OCR line, it is now XS, S, M, L, XL. Granted it may not be sufficient for some to get a good fit - but I wouldn't throw out the kmart commentary.

Danga - what length stem did they try on the bikes?
ShinyBaldy is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 06:53 PM
  #8  
dagna
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShinyBaldy
Danga - what length stem did they try on the bikes?
The small OCR had whatever comes with it--they didn't offer to change it out, though they did adjust it all the way down. The medium TCR had a 120mm, and it seemed to me a shorter one might have done the trick. But, the bike wasn't for sale and I'm a newbie, so it didn't occur to me to ask them to change it out.

As you may have guessed, it was a very small shop. There's another Giant dealer within an hour's drive, but when I called them and asked about TCRs, they said, 'We don't have any of those expensive models.' I think I will expand my hunting ground to two hours, which will give me about five more dealers. One of them has to have a small TCR I can test ride. Or maybe I'll just give up on Giant.

Though the TCR Comp 1 was very nice, even if it did feel too big.
Dagna
dagna is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 07:12 PM
  #9  
ShinyBaldy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagna
The small OCR had whatever comes with it--they didn't offer to change it out, though they did adjust it all the way down. The medium TCR had a 120mm, and it seemed to me a shorter one might have done the trick. But, the bike wasn't for sale and I'm a newbie, so it didn't occur to me to ask them to change it out.

As you may have guessed, it was a very small shop. There's another Giant dealer within an hour's drive, but when I called them and asked about TCRs, they said, 'We don't have any of those expensive models.' I think I will expand my hunting ground to two hours, which will give me about five more dealers. One of them has to have a small TCR I can test ride. Or maybe I'll just give up on Giant.

Though the TCR Comp 1 was very nice, even if it did feel too big.
Dagna
you need to find a better LBS. Fit is drastically different if you put on a 70mm stem vs a 120mm stem. If they aren't even bothered to change the stem after you took a ride - they're not trying to fit you. If they gave you two bikes, a TCR and an OCR as an attempt to decide which frame would fit you... they're not trying to fit you well.

Go to another LBS.
ShinyBaldy is offline  
Old 08-15-05, 08:27 PM
  #10  
timwat
Senior Member
 
timwat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 546

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dagna:

I went through something very similar (small inventory, TCR vs. OCR). Agreed you need to find an LBS who will one way or another get you a small TCR (no matter what frame material at this point) to test ride.

I'm 5'5", similar inseam and the TCR in small fits me very well. Obviously that's no guarantee it would fit you, but you seem to be in the general vicinity that Giant's admittedly narrower sizing schema may work for you.

Is there another Giant dealer around? Is the LBS in question unwilling to try harder at getting you a test ride that fits?
timwat is offline  
Old 08-16-05, 12:41 AM
  #11  
Rman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound like you have long legs at 32" for your 5'4" height. If you get a TCR medium you should note that there is only about 15 mm of spacers which can be removed which may mean that the bars will not be low enough when the 142 mm head tube is taken into account. If your total "wingspan" of your arms is similar to your height you are going to need a very short stem if you are 5'4". Going with the shortest stem is not advisable because the intended handling of the bike will not be correct (usually too twitchy handling, unless this is prefered) and no shorter stem is possible if fit is still too long.

IMO the Giant sizing is off. It reads that I need a small. No bloody way. A medium is perfect with a 11o or 120 stem (mind you I have long legs and long arms).

I agree with the other posters with comparing the OCR's with OCR's and TCR's with TCR's.

Good luck. Don't settle with a bike which does not fit. You WILL reget it.
Rman is offline  
Old 08-16-05, 06:12 AM
  #12  
dagna
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rman
Sound like you have long legs at 32" for your 5'4" height. If you get a TCR medium you should note that there is only about 15 mm of spacers which can be removed which may mean that the bars will not be low enough when the 142 mm head tube is taken into account. If your total "wingspan" of your arms is similar to your height you are going to need a very short stem if you are 5'4". Going with the shortest stem is not advisable because the intended handling of the bike will not be correct (usually too twitchy handling, unless this is prefered) and no shorter stem is possible if fit is still too long.

IMO the Giant sizing is off. It reads that I need a small. No bloody way. A medium is perfect with a 11o or 120 stem (mind you I have long legs and long arms).
Thanks for the information--I'm learning a lot from this thread. I do have long legs for my height, but I have even longer arms in proportion. I will definitely wait until I can test ride a small TCR with a long stem and a medium TCR with a shorter (but not too short) stem before seriously considering a Giant. And I will watch out for the limit on lowering the handlebar height with the medium.

Thanks to all for the good advice,
Dagna
dagna is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.