Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where go to buy groupset upgrade?

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Where go to buy groupset upgrade?

Old 04-05-06, 02:36 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where go to buy groupset upgrade?

If I were thinking about upgrading my 105-group (it has ultegra rear derailler, everything else 105) to ultegra or dura-ace, where would be the best place to go get it? Cost-wise? Will i get good value buying used? Or should I only get "new" (i.e. unused 2005 or new 2006)? Is ebay a good place to get them? Will i save money getting the LBS to sell it and trading in the old set (or will they not take my used 2005 set)?
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-05-06, 02:39 PM
  #2  
214/13
 
PedalMasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Pdx
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a guy selling ultegra 10 speed groupsets including crank for $649 on ebay. I bought one and it was as described. He even includes all the cables and housings you need and put in extra for me. Do a search and you should find it.
PedalMasher is offline  
Old 04-05-06, 03:04 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalMasher
There's a guy selling ultegra 10 speed groupsets including crank for $649 on ebay. I bought one and it was as described. He even includes all the cables and housings you need and put in extra for me. Do a search and you should find it.
Are they new or used?
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-05-06, 04:23 PM
  #4  
214/13
 
PedalMasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Pdx
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brand new. He will even add/remove parts if you want.
PedalMasher is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 12:07 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 2005 105 groupset is relatively new and is what i currently use and am very happy with it. Upgrading to Ultegra would be like throwing your money away as the difference is not all that great between the two. You'd be better off upgrading the wheels over anything else. Ask yourself, do you really need to upgrade or do you just want to for the sake of upgrading your bike.
legstwelve is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 12:09 AM
  #6  
100% USDA certified
 
the beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle -> NYC
Posts: 4,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by legstwelve
A 2005 105 groupset is relatively new and is what i currently use and am very happy with it. Upgrading to Ultegra would be like throwing your money away as the difference is not all that great between the two. You'd be better off upgrading the wheels over anything else. Ask yourself, do you really need to upgrade or do you just want to for the sake of upgrading your bike.
+1
The difference between the two sets really isn't that big.
the beef is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 06:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donrhummy
If I were thinking about upgrading my 105-group (it has ultegra rear derailler, everything else 105) to ultegra or dura-ace, where would be the best place to go get it? Cost-wise? Will i get good value buying used? Or should I only get "new" (i.e. unused 2005 or new 2006)? Is ebay a good place to get them? Will i save money getting the LBS to sell it and trading in the old set (or will they not take my used 2005 set)?
Great prices, and good customer service:

https://gvhbikes.com/

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 09:34 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by legstwelve
A 2005 105 groupset is relatively new and is what i currently use and am very happy with it. Upgrading to Ultegra would be like throwing your money away as the difference is not all that great between the two. You'd be better off upgrading the wheels over anything else. Ask yourself, do you really need to upgrade or do you just want to for the sake of upgrading your bike.
Yeah, I know. I'm not actually planning on updating it anytime soon, but I was curious. And actually if I did update anything it would simply be the front derailler which I've had some trouble with, but the rest has been fine.
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 09:42 PM
  #9  
Guinea Hood
 
Ostuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East of Shelbyville
Posts: 2,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalMasher
There's a guy selling ultegra 10 speed groupsets including crank for $649 on ebay. I bought one and it was as described. He even includes all the cables and housings you need and put in extra for me. Do a search and you should find it.
or, for about $230 more, get a whole bike with ultegra!

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/APR10day.htm
__________________
Tom Hagen: 'Thank you for the dinner and a very pleasant evening. If your car could take me to the airport - Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately.'
Ostuni is offline  
Old 04-06-06, 10:24 PM
  #10  
Litespeed Classic
 
Allerge99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a full Ultegra 10 spd group from www.probikekit.com for 590 bucks shipped. Took about 7-9 days to get here.
Allerge99 is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 04:22 AM
  #11  
部門ニ/自転車オタク
 
NomadVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,173

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ultegra groupset was $775, including labor at the LBS. No shipping charges to Japan made a difference. Plus, I get the piece of mind that when I took the bike back today because the chain wasn't flexing right, he swapped it up to a dura-ace chain for 10 minutes of inspection and no extra charge. Only thing I buy from someone other than my LBS is nutrition, apparel and framesets (get those from the states with a specialized dealer I know).

LBS all the way - and the price you pay up front comes back in service, I think. That is, unless you do all your work yourself.

Editing to say: The cost of the groupset was $775, and I paid no labor charges. My LBS sees me almost weekly if not biweekly. In the last 6 months I've referred 8 customers to him, 6 of which have bought $1000+ bikes. Last week I went in to buy some tubes and he gave me two out of his "promotional" kit from Specialized.

I hope everyone else has a LBS that is half as good as mine.
__________________
Envision, Energize, Enable

Last edited by NomadVW; 04-07-06 at 05:13 AM.
NomadVW is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 11:15 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allerge99
I just got a full Ultegra 10 spd group from www.probikekit.com for 590 bucks shipped. Took about 7-9 days to get here.
What's the shipping cost?

Looking on their site, it claims they'll sell you the full Dura-Ace-10spd groupset for $629 USD (before shipping). If the shipping is very little, that's a REALLY good price (compared to what I've seen elsewhere). EDIT: I now see the shipping is $14.50 USD. WOW!

Also, what does it cost to have an LBS install this stuff?
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 11:23 AM
  #13  
Ride it like you stole it
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,996

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
What's the shipping cost?

Looking on their site, it claims they'll sell you the full Dura-Ace-10spd groupset for $629 USD (before shipping). If the shipping is very little, that's a REALLY good price (compared to what I've seen elsewhere).

Also, what does it cost to have an LBS install this stuff?
Check again, in USD it a little over $900.00 for the full Dura-Ace group, and just under $600.00 for a full Ultegra group. I bought the Ultegra Group from them in January, they charge in s so your credit card company will also charge a few for the currency exchange. Shipping is also charged in s but ProBikeKit will try to make it equal $14.99 USD then add that currency conversion fee again.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 11:25 AM
  #14  
Ride it like you stole it
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,996

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ostuni
or, for about $230 more, get a whole bike with ultegra!

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/APR10day.htm
+1
And you get some wheels you can use or sell, the frame is pretty much a give-a-way at that point, keep it or sell it and buy some accessories.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 11:30 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Check again, in USD it a little over $900.00 for the full Dura-Ace group, and just under $600.00 for a full Ultegra group. I bought the Ultegra Group from them in January, they charge in s so your credit card company will also charge a few for the currency exchange. Shipping is also charged in s but ProBikeKit will try to make it equal $14.99 USD then add that currency conversion fee again.
Where did you get $900 from? Right now a Euro is worth $1.21162 USD. Using their Kit-Builder Calculator, they list the "Kit-Builder Price Total" as 519.91 Euros. That's $629.93 USD.
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-07-06, 12:58 PM
  #16  
Ride it like you stole it
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,996

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
Where did you get $900 from? Right now a Euro is worth $1.21162 USD. Using their Kit-Builder Calculator, they list the "Kit-Builder Price Total" as 519.91 Euros. That's $629.93 USD.
Unless you live in the EU and you are then subject to VAT, you need to change your order country to US and currency to USD, It's $900+ however you calculate it.

I have quoted the Dura-Ace price here it the parts list, see if yo are missing something:

Kit XTSSHIMA
Shimano Dura Ace 10-Speed Bottom Bracket Cups 7800 English Thread 1
Shimano Dura Ace Dual Pivot Caliper Brake Set. BR-7800 Dual Pivot Caliper Brake (pair) 1
Shimano Dura Ace 10-Speed Cassette 11-21,11-23T CS-7800 11-21 1
Shimano Dura ace 10-Speed Chain CN-7800 Dura ace 10-Speed Chain 1
Shimano Dura Ace 10-Speed Double Chainset FC-7800 170mm Crank Length 39 x 52 Chainrings 1
Shiman Dura Ace 10 Speed Braze On Front Mech FD-7800 10 Speed Braze On Front Mech 1
Shimano Dura Ace 10-Speed Rear Mech (SS) RD-7800 10 Speed Rear Mech 1
Shimano Dura Ace 10-Speed STI Levers (Including Cables) ST-7800 STI Dual Control Lever 1
Kit Total $911.09


Here is the Ultegra list:

Kit XTSSHIMA
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Bearing Cups english thread 1
Shimano Ultegra (10-Speed) Dual-Pivot Caliper Brake BR-6600 Dual-Pivot Caliper Brake-Set 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed 6600 Cassette 11-23T 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Chain 6600 CN-6600 10-Speed 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Chainset Double 170mm ,53-39T 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Braze on Double Front Mech Double Front Braze-On 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Rear Mech Double short cage 1
Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Dual Control Levers Double Dual Control Lever 1
Kit Total $595.82
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-07-06 at 01:16 PM.
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 04-08-06, 11:11 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Unless you live in the EU and you are then subject to VAT, you need to change your order country to US and currency to USD...
Ahh, I see why now. Because there's no VAT for overseas orders, they build that tax into the price. I hadn't changed the country to U.S., so I was seeing the pre-VAT price. Darn! If I could get the Dura-ace at that price!
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-08-06, 03:39 PM
  #18  
barnfullagts
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 623

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought 6600 10 speed Ultegra less the hubs with a DA BB by shopping/bidding on ebay for $580 freight to my door but it took three weeks of watching and bidding. The 649 deal would have been better in the end due to the time spent.
gm1230126 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.