Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Overall reach

Old 06-14-06, 11:17 PM
  #1  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall reach

I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I "need" an overall reach of 64.96cm Center-to-Center according to Wrench Science. In general, would I be better off with a 54.8cm tt and 100mm stem or a 53cm tt and 120mm stem? Which would be more stable control? For what's it's worth, it suggested a frame/seat tube size of 51cm Center-to-Top / 50cm Center-to-Center. I'm currently on a 54cm Specialized Allez Elite, but am considering a 52cm Fuji Team Pro. My current bike feels usable, but I feel like I'm higher off the ground than I should be. Thoughts?

Thanks.
voltman is offline  
Old 06-14-06, 11:29 PM
  #2  
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,871
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In general, the bike with the longer wheelbase will be more stable, if the bike fits you well. Your riding position and center of gravity on the bike do make a difference as well.
johnny99 is offline  
Old 06-14-06, 11:40 PM
  #3  
the beef
100% USDA certified
 
the beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle -> NYC
Posts: 4,022

Bikes: Bianchi XL EV2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't take calculators too seriously. They're nice, but in the end they will not tell you everything. Go and try out some frames and stems at the shop.
the beef is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 09:19 AM
  #4  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into getting (or not getting) a new bike.
voltman is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 09:48 AM
  #5  
brundle_fly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your dimensions.A 52cm C-T with 53cm T-T should be ideal
brundle_fly is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 10:57 AM
  #6  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reach you need depends on your chosen riding position and is one of the least "calculatable" of bike dimensions.
Some fit experts consider that the TT/stem should be proportional in length, ie a smaller rider should use a shorter TT and a shorter stem.
110mm is about std on a M size bike so 100mm should be about right for you (given a TT of the correct length).
You can usually adjust the stem +-2cm without compomising the handling too much.

You say you feel too high off the ground:check the BB height.
Sometimes small frames have the same BB height and smaller cranks (as their M equivelents). This puts the rider higher off the ground than neccessary.

Your current bike should be your guide to what feels right.
MichaelW is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 11:34 AM
  #7  
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman
I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I "need" an overall reach of 64.96cm Center-to-Center according to Wrench Science. In general, would I be better off with a 54.8cm tt and 100mm stem or a 53cm tt and 120mm stem? Which would be more stable control? For what's it's worth, it suggested a frame/seat tube size of 51cm Center-to-Top / 50cm Center-to-Center. I'm currently on a 54cm Specialized Allez Elite, but am considering a 52cm Fuji Team Pro. My current bike feels usable, but I feel like I'm higher off the ground than I should be. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by "higher off the ground". Assuming that both the Fuji and the Specialized have the standard 7cm bottom bracket drop, you will be at basically the same height on both bikes regardless of TT length. Based on your inseam it looks like the Allez would work, as would a frame one size smaller. It depends on other factors such as head tube length. Are you able to get the handlebars low enough on your Allez?

Last edited by pigmode; 06-15-06 at 11:43 AM.
pigmode is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 11:49 AM
  #8  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pigmode
Not sure what you mean by "higher off the ground". Assuming that both the Fuji and the Specialized have the standard 7cm bottom bracket drop, you will be at basically the same height on both bikes regardless of TT length. Based on your inseam it looks like the Allez would work, as would a frame one size smaller. It depends on other factors such as head tube length. Are you able to get the handlebars low enough on your Allez?
It's not a good picture, but here's me on the Allez. (on the right).



I feel like I have to climb to get on my bike and dismount to get off, versus just getting on and off. That could be normal though.
voltman is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 11:59 AM
  #9  
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman
It's not a good picture, but here's me on the Allez. (on the right).



I feel like I have to climb to get on my bike and dismount to get off, versus just getting on and off. That could be normal though.
You look good on that bike. I think what you are talking about is normal. If you think about it, given an identical BB center to saddle measurement, the only way to get a saddle that is lower to the ground is to go with a lower BB, like on a Serrota which is typically 8cm.

P.S. You asked about stem length. I think it boils down to preference, with some riders prefering longer stems (me) and some not sensing any difference in the prevailing rule of thumb that says a longer stem slows down steering response. I think a 100mm stem is right in the ballpark for your Allez, but I personally wouldn't like to go shorter. Longer stems help to smooth out the ride a little in terms of absorbing shock. They also put a little more weight on the front wheel, which tends benefit handling in fast descents, YMMV of course.

Last edited by pigmode; 06-15-06 at 12:18 PM.
pigmode is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 12:23 PM
  #10  
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?
 
krazyderek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Posts: 2,024

Bikes: raleigh grand prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've never found those online calc good for reach, most are so vague on where they're defining reach as, i used the Arione on my previous bike, and both my current bikes so i always just measured saddle set back, and handle bar reach from the tip of the nose of the saddle. 6.5mm back from center of BB, and 55cm from nose tip to center of handle bars, assuming low reach 75/85mm c-c handle bars. Many bikes from 54 to a 58 can put me in that possition depending on what kind of seat post and stem i use, therefore i just buy a frame i have 1" crotch clearance when straddling the tt, and go from there. Trig doesn't lie.
krazyderek is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 12:32 PM
  #11  
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyderek
i've never found those online calc good for reach, most are so vague on where they're defining reach as, i used the Arione on my previous bike, and both my current bikes so i always just measured saddle set back, and handle bar reach from the tip of the nose of the saddle. 6.5mm back from center of BB, and 55cm from nose tip to center of handle bars, assuming low reach 75/85mm c-c handle bars. Many bikes from 54 to a 58 can put me in that possition depending on what kind of seat post and stem i use, therefore i just buy a frame i have 1" crotch clearance when straddling the tt, and go from there. Trig doesn't lie.
Depending on the rider, there can also be other requirements that come into play such as head tube length. Some will want or need a taller, and some a shorter head tube. My preference is to choose a frame size that will require minimal HT spacers with a standard 82 or 84 degree stem.
pigmode is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
trailz
Classic & Vintage
1
06-09-12 10:56 AM
PigGirl
Blogger's Forum
0
08-17-09 07:44 AM
pippin65
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
0
01-08-07 07:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.