Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Xero Lite XR1 wheelset Opinion Please!

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Xero Lite XR1 wheelset Opinion Please!

Old 12-15-06, 04:16 PM
  #26  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevecaz
Well I don't need my rear derailleur ripped off the frame and trashed wheels.

If I wanted to, I could flex these wheels so far they would smash into the derailleur cage and cause massive damage. Go find a steep hill and attack it in the big ring and smallest rear cog you have. You should be standing and using lots of arm strength to pull the bars into each stroke. You'll find out what I'm talking about when you start hearing the pinging of the spokes hitting the derailleur. It doesn't take much power to at least start the pinging.
Why are you climbing a steep hill in your biggest gear?
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 04:56 PM
  #27  
stevecaz
Senior Member
 
stevecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Why are you climbing a steep hill in your biggest gear?
ugh, not again with this.

A 50 tooth (my large compact ring) x 25 is not the "biggest gear", that would be 50x12. And I only use my big ring because its faster, a better workout, and the 34 ring is useless in eastern MA since we don't have steeper hills that climb for miles upon miles, in which case I would drop down. Plus, a 50x25 roughly equals the normal climbing gear of 39x19 in a regular setup, and is exactly equal to my former lowest gear of 42x21 on a previous bike. If you are a casual rider who drops down to the small ring for most inclines and spins your way up, then you'll never know how flexy these wheels are. But if you like to hammer, then watch out.
stevecaz is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 04:59 PM
  #28  
EdZ
Clinically Insane
 
EdZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevecaz
ugh, not again with this.

A 50 tooth (my large compact ring) x 25 is not the "biggest gear", that would be 50x12. And I only use my big ring because its faster, a better workout, and the 34 ring is useless in eastern MA since we don't have steeper hills that climb for miles upon miles, in which case I would drop down. Plus, a 50x25 roughly equals the normal climbing gear of 39x19 in a regular setup. If you are a casual rider who drops down to the small ring for most inclines and spins your way up, then you'll never know how flexy these wheels are. But if you like to hammer, then watch out.
Thats horrible for your drivetrain.
EdZ is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 05:13 PM
  #29  
baxtefer
Cornucopia of Awesomeness
 
baxtefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: not where i used to be
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevecaz
ugh, not again with this.

A 50 tooth (my large compact ring) x 25 is not the "biggest gear", that would be 50x12. And I only use my big ring because its faster, a better workout, and the 34 ring is useless in eastern MA since we don't have steeper hills that climb for miles upon miles, in which case I would drop down. Plus, a 50x25 roughly equals the normal climbing gear of 39x19 in a regular setup, and is exactly equal to my former lowest gear of 42x21 on a previous bike. If you are a casual rider who drops down to the small ring for most inclines and spins your way up, then you'll never know how flexy these wheels are. But if you like to hammer, then watch out.

uhh, why not climb in the 34x17? it's the EXACT SAME GEAR and you'll have a damn near dead-straight chainline.
baxtefer is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 05:19 PM
  #30  
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baxtefer
uhh, why not climb in the 34x17? it's the EXACT SAME GEAR and you'll have a damn near dead-straight chainline.
Cross-chaining bigger cogs results in less friction (more efficiency) than a perfect chainline on smaller cogs. Plus, maybe he likes to hammer up a short hill without having to flip over to the little ring.
Phantoj is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 05:35 PM
  #31  
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service
 
Patriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 8,330

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I climb hills around here in 50x23 or 21 all the time with no ill effects to my Xero wheels. If you have Xeros that do that, you have a bad set that need to be tensioned. Just take to them to the LBS and have them tension the wheels properly while adding some spoke prep. LBS's usually charge $20-$30 for a tensioning and truing. No big deal.
__________________
President, OCP
--"Will you have some tea... at the theatre with me?"--
Patriot is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 06:02 PM
  #32  
stevecaz
Senior Member
 
stevecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
I climb hills around here in 50x23 or 21 all the time with no ill effects to my Xero wheels. If you have Xeros that do that, you have a bad set that need to be tensioned. Just take to them to the LBS and have them tension the wheels properly while adding some spoke prep. LBS's usually charge $20-$30 for a tensioning and truing. No big deal.

You know what, perhaps my tension is a little low from normal spec and I will try and add some (but a shop does not touch my bike). Since they are practically new I hadn't thought about that, but its a great suggestion.

Thats horrible for your drivetrain.
Thats like saying braking is horrible for your brake pads, rolling is horrible for your tires, siting is horrible for your saddle, pedaling is horrible for your bearings......

The Large ring/large cog combination is an actual gear thats meant to get used. Unlike the small ring/smallest cog combination, which you should switch out of as soon as possible.
stevecaz is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 06:06 PM
  #33  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my XR-1's tensioned and trued by my shop when I got them, and have had no problems. If you're having issues, even after a shop checks them over, then you may have just gotten a lemon Good luck!
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 06:08 PM
  #34  
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service
 
Patriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 8,330

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do get some flex, as with any wheel. I closed up on the brakes a little too much once, and they rubbed. Since I opened them up, they are fine. When climbing in 50x23/21, my Xero's flex about 1/16" or less (each way), as that's about the gap of my brake pads to prevent rubbing.
__________________
President, OCP
--"Will you have some tea... at the theatre with me?"--
Patriot is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 06:13 PM
  #35  
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.
 
dekalbSTEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NIU town
Posts: 2,271

Bikes: see sig, and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevecaz
Well I don't need my rear derailleur ripped off the frame and trashed wheels.

If I wanted to, I could flex these wheels so far they would smash into the derailleur cage and cause massive damage. Go find a steep hill and attack it in the big ring and smallest rear cog you have. You should be standing and using lots of arm strength to pull the bars into each stroke. You'll find out what I'm talking about when you start hearing the pinging of the spokes hitting the derailleur. It doesn't take much power to at least start the pinging.

Originally Posted by bdcheung
Why are you climbing a steep hill in your biggest gear?
Originally Posted by stevecaz
ugh, not again with this.

A 50 tooth (my large compact ring) x 25 is not the "biggest gear", that would be 50x12.


You did say big ring and the SMALLEST REAR COG . Most people would interpret that to mean your 11 or 12, (smallest cog, not EASIEST cog)
dekalbSTEEL is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 06:35 PM
  #36  
stevecaz
Senior Member
 
stevecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
You did say big ring and the SMALLEST REAR COG . Most people would interpret that to mean your 11 or 12, (smallest cog, not EASIEST cog)

I did indeed, my mistake. I re-wrote that before posting and clearly left the language error, which has been corrected.
stevecaz is offline  
Old 12-15-06, 07:01 PM
  #37  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad that got cleared up - I was getting quite confused!
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sh00k
Foo
6
10-23-09 12:03 PM
UmneyDurak
Road Cycling
14
06-14-09 01:54 PM
ZiP0082
Road Cycling
0
10-06-08 09:02 AM
sfrye
General Cycling Discussion
2
08-03-05 09:42 AM
jlvantassel
Training & Nutrition
5
03-24-04 10:50 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.