Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Old 05-04-08, 01:08 PM
  #8101  
cat person
 
GlassWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.W. Michigan
Posts: 510

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
regarding SS/FG, you have to draw the line somewhere, and if there is a forum section just for SS/FG, then that's where those bikes belong.
Just because I ride my MTB on the street from time to time, doesn't mean I should post about it in the road cycling forum, either. I can understand why it was suggested to move the fixie to the SS/FG forum, where it "belongs."
GlassWolf is offline  
Old 05-04-08, 01:22 PM
  #8102  
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Posts: 8,850

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooooh, bike segregation! What's next, black people?


Damn; nevermind.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline  
Old 05-04-08, 01:41 PM
  #8103  
JBD
French Warmonger
 
JBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greetings from Michigan The Great Lake State
Posts: 350

Bikes: Lyon Follis, raleigh sportif, giant unknown, centurian lemans r.i.p.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to incite too much, but doesn't C&V have their own forum too? I think one one would be hard pressed to tell 'rad or viperz or any of a number of others to go post in CV and not here.
(also, what age qualifies as 'vintage?' lol)



Also, Briereos, I'm sorry for your loss.
JBD is offline  
Old 05-04-08, 04:47 PM
  #8104  
That's what she said
 
Bikelyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 477

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, Bianchi Via Nirone '07, Fuji Ace '05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
Ooooh, bike segregation! What's next, black people?


Damn; nevermind.
You went there.
Bikelyst is offline  
Old 05-04-08, 07:24 PM
  #8105  
big ring
 
MIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlassWolf
regarding SS/FG, you have to draw the line somewhere, and if there is a forum section just for SS/FG, then that's where those bikes belong.
Just because I ride my MTB on the street from time to time, doesn't mean I should post about it in the road cycling forum, either. I can understand why it was suggested to move the fixie to the SS/FG forum, where it "belongs."
know your history; here's some food for thought, marketing victim.

Originally Posted by Henri Desgrange, Founder of the Tour de France, L'Équipe article of 1902
I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five.
Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer?
We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!
your mtb comparision is absurd and I have just lowered myself for responding to it.
MIN is offline  
Old 05-04-08, 08:29 PM
  #8106  
Senior Member
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^this is getting intense^^ :-D
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 05-05-08, 12:13 AM
  #8107  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786
^^this is getting intense^^ :-D
And to think that it only took less than 8200 posts..
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 05-05-08, 01:03 AM
  #8108  
Senior Member
 
Briareos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 539

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I care too much about meaningless things; I promise to post productive material from now on.

^_^
Briareos is offline  
Old 05-05-08, 01:33 AM
  #8109  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,272

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by JBD
not to incite too much, but doesn't C&V have their own forum too? I think one one would be hard pressed to tell 'rad or viperz or any of a number of others to go post in CV and not here.
(also, what age qualifies as 'vintage?' lol)
Already posted in C&V and a few other places but is 1948 vintage enough ?

It is a true roadster.

Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 05-05-08, 12:36 PM
  #8110  
Senior Member
 
Breal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chi Town
Posts: 129

Bikes: Tarmac S- Works; Cervelo S5; Lynskey Helix; Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally get to post in this thread. I just got my new Pinarello this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help in choosing!!! BTW, the bontrager cranks are going, it was all they had in my length at the time so I could ride it over the weekend. Should have the new cranks this week!!


Breal is offline  
Old 05-05-08, 12:37 PM
  #8111  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
I've posted this before, but this is my single speed road bike - I've ridden it on metric centuries. Converted it from an old 1984 Schwinn Super Sport frame.

19.5 lbs as she sits. Campy Record headset, FSA Pro Track chainring, Cinelli Alter stem, Xero XR-1 wheels.

That is one of my favorite bikes on these forums.
bikeM3987 is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 10:04 AM
  #8112  
Luvin' Ridin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 12

Bikes: Totally Tricked Trek 1000, Totally Tricked Dawes LT 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What road bike do you have?

Originally Posted by shayel
Your stem is so short, it looks like it belongs on a downhill bike. What's the length and rise on that stem, and isn't the bike too twichy like that?
Yeah I know, right. It is a 60mm with a 25 degree rise. I am 6 foot tall, all legs and arms, extremely short torso!!! I almost need to go custom geometry cause a traditional frame in 63 fits my legs and arms, but not my torso...
eurojuce is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 11:50 AM
  #8113  
Senior Member
 
shayel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 128

Bikes: '06 Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojuce
Yeah I know, right. It is a 60mm with a 25 degree rise. I am 6 foot tall, all legs and arms, extremely short torso!!! I almost need to go custom geometry cause a traditional frame in 63 fits my legs and arms, but not my torso...
I believe the current practice is to measure a frame by the TT, and make sure it fits. If you're too short for a 63, try a 60 or even a 58... If you're long armed, try loosing the gut and try a smaller sized frame with a bit more drop

I'm about the same height as you (184 cm), also long-legged (I have my saddle at 78.8 cm C-T) and I ride a 56.

Last edited by shayel; 05-06-08 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typed while drunk.
shayel is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 12:13 PM
  #8114  
hobo
 
grahny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 3,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shayel
I believe the current practice is to measure a frame by the TT, and make sure it fits. If you're too short for a 63, try a 60 or even a 58... If you're long armed, try loosing the gut and try a smaller sized frame with a bit more drop

I'm about the same height as you (184 cm), also long-legged (I have my saddle at 78.8 cm C-T) and I ride a 56.
+1... I'm 6'-6'1" with long legs and long arms, short torso. My saddle is at the same height as yours. I'm on a 57.3cm TT now with an 18.5cm HT and the fit is perfect. Just enough drop and I can still go lower (or higher) if need be.

Look for adequate TT and HT heights to fit your size.
grahny is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 01:18 PM
  #8115  
Member
 
satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not crazy about the rolling billboards you all are posting. such nice stuff but so ugly and commercial! don't be a wuss- take sandpaper to your frame instead of a polishing cloth and custom paint it or powdercoat it! women already have reason to be suspicious of a roadies' sperm count- all these $3000 rolling billboards REALLY make it look like you're compensating for something. actually those pinarello forks kinda do look like sperm. so ugly!
satori is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 01:52 PM
  #8116  
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by satori
i'm not crazy about the rolling billboards you all are posting. such nice stuff but so ugly and commercial! don't be a wuss- take sandpaper to your frame instead of a polishing cloth and custom paint it or powdercoat it! women already have reason to be suspicious of a roadies' sperm count- all these $3000 rolling billboards REALLY make it look like you're compensating for something. actually those pinarello forks kinda do look like sperm. so ugly!
Troll
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 05:34 PM
  #8117  
Custom User Title
 
Quijibo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,913

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Everest
Troll
and a poor one at that
Quijibo187 is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 06:36 PM
  #8118  
Senior Member
 
WHOOOSSHHH...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RVA
Posts: 6,404
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by satori
i'm not crazy about the rolling billboards you all are posting. such nice stuff but so ugly and commercial! don't be a wuss- take sandpaper to your frame instead of a polishing cloth and custom paint it or powdercoat it! women already have reason to be suspicious of a roadies' sperm count- all these $3000 rolling billboards REALLY make it look like you're compensating for something. actually those pinarello forks kinda do look like sperm. so ugly!
Ugly??? Pinarello Uncross your eyeballs!!!
WHOOOSSHHH... is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 08:52 PM
  #8119  
Roadie
 
ninjaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 those pinarello forks and chainstays look like a 4-year old made them out of play-doh.
ninjaman is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 09:53 PM
  #8120  
Rabbinic Authority
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD (MABRA/MAC)
Posts: 650

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Briareos
Go post it in the "Fixed-gear/Singlespeed" forum, made for road fixed-gears/singlespeeds.

I realize your bicycle fits both criteria, but bikeforums has been nice enough to cater to FG/SS riders and provide them with their own bicycles; so use them.


How come I'm the only one annoyedby this? I must be an ass or something (seriously).
Wow, just read this and felt the need to respond. Here goes:

I also ride singlespeed on the road (read: freewheel, not fixed. Lycra, not urban hipster. Metrics, centuries, and group training rides, not polo or messengering. You get the message.) Unfortunately, those of us who are singlespeed roadies actually have a hard time in the ss/fg forum, and every now and then dip our toes (covered in proper cycling shoes that click into SPDs, not Puma soccer sneakers loosely held by two toe straps per pedal) in the road forum to connect and share with people turn miles of long, open tarmac under our wheels. You see, a majority of the people in ss/fg are about spoke cars, aerospokes, messenger bags, and how to *******ize a perfectly innocent 1970s Colnago track bike. Singlespeed roadies are a minority there ("dude, flip your back wheel and fixed, it's so much more natural", "dude, lose the brakes and just do skid stops", "dude, helmets and lycra are for *******, just get a 1970s Campagnolo hat and roll your jeans to the ankles".)

Sigh.

So we are just a minority looking for a home and a little support. Kinda like mountain bikers once did. Kinda like American cyclocrossers did (not too long ago). Don't worry, Campy, SRAM, and Shimano will still churn out 20-speed gruppos, and you will still see gobs of derailleur and gear porn on "show us your road bike". For us though, it's all about the riding, and while we may be 19 gears short, were still out for 19mph all day long with two waterbottles in tow.
jpearl is offline  
Old 05-06-08, 10:04 PM
  #8121  
70mm4$!n!
 
freeskihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 1,757

Bikes: Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpearl
Wow, just read this and felt the need to respond. Here goes:

I also ride singlespeed on the road (read: freewheel, not fixed. Lycra, not urban hipster. Metrics, centuries, and group training rides, not polo or messengering. You get the message.) Unfortunately, those of us who are singlespeed roadies actually have a hard time in the ss/fg forum, and every now and then dip our toes (covered in proper cycling shoes that click into SPDs, not Puma soccer sneakers loosely held by two toe straps per pedal) in the road forum to connect and share with people turn miles of long, open tarmac under our wheels. You see, a majority of the people in ss/fg are about spoke cars, aerospokes, messenger bags, and how to *******ize a perfectly innocent 1970s Colnago track bike. Singlespeed roadies are a minority there ("dude, flip your back wheel and fixed, it's so much more natural", "dude, lose the brakes and just do skid stops", "dude, helmets and lycra are for *******, just get a 1970s Campagnolo hat and roll your jeans to the ankles".)
freeskihp is offline  
Old 05-07-08, 07:04 AM
  #8122  
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by satori
actually those pinarello forks kinda do look like sperm. so ugly!
My understanding is that, in order to visualize sperm properly, one must utilize a microscope. Or, alternately, get really, really close.

Which was your method?
Namenda is offline  
Old 05-07-08, 08:09 AM
  #8123  
70mm4$!n!
 
freeskihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 1,757

Bikes: Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
My understanding is that, in order to visualize sperm properly, one must utilize a microscope. Or, alternately, get really, really close.

Which was your method?
google images
freeskihp is offline  
Old 05-07-08, 07:34 PM
  #8124  
100% USDA certified
 
the beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle -> NYC
Posts: 4,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpearl
Wow, just read this and felt the need to respond. Here goes:

I also ride singlespeed on the road (read: freewheel, not fixed. Lycra, not urban hipster. Metrics, centuries, and group training rides, not polo or messengering. You get the message.) Unfortunately, those of us who are singlespeed roadies actually have a hard time in the ss/fg forum, and every now and then dip our toes (covered in proper cycling shoes that click into SPDs, not Puma soccer sneakers loosely held by two toe straps per pedal) in the road forum to connect and share with people turn miles of long, open tarmac under our wheels. You see, a majority of the people in ss/fg are about spoke cars, aerospokes, messenger bags, and how to *******ize a perfectly innocent 1970s Colnago track bike. Singlespeed roadies are a minority there ("dude, flip your back wheel and fixed, it's so much more natural", "dude, lose the brakes and just do skid stops", "dude, helmets and lycra are for *******, just get a 1970s Campagnolo hat and roll your jeans to the ankles".)

Sigh.

So we are just a minority looking for a home and a little support. Kinda like mountain bikers once did. Kinda like American cyclocrossers did (not too long ago). Don't worry, Campy, SRAM, and Shimano will still churn out 20-speed gruppos, and you will still see gobs of derailleur and gear porn on "show us your road bike". For us though, it's all about the riding, and while we may be 19 gears short, were still out for 19mph all day long with two waterbottles in tow.
There was really no need for your post, as I think we have collectively agreed that Briareos is an ass. But nevertheless, well said.
the beef is offline  
Old 05-07-08, 07:48 PM
  #8125  
Senior Member
 
toneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toneb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.