Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Old 07-25-10, 03:55 PM
  #14876  
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zstjohn
I like it. although ever since schleck got shanked on the tour I want all my group components to be the same.
I hope that is a joke.
mike868y is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 05:11 PM
  #14877  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 Specialized Ellez Comp.

Love the carbon seat stays and forks, this is a much improved ride from my last, and it's faster. Also threw in some new pedals and shoe's.





trifecta is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 05:15 PM
  #14878  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,723

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Current bike:



Next bike (within a couple months!):

Velo Gator is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 08:12 PM
  #14879  
Specialized!
 
Emptei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 86

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3/Sram Red

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you sure do post your bike a lot.
Emptei is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 08:34 PM
  #14880  
Senior Member
 
Waxbytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 545
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Emptei
you sure do post your bike a lot.
Isn't that what this thread is for?
Waxbytes is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 10:04 PM
  #14881  
Senior Member
 
Low J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After trying out riding on the road with my commuter (2008 Sirrus) for the past 2 years I finally decided to get myself a proper road bike and start doing some more distance and speed. Picked up a 2010 Roubaix Compact last weekend. So far I love it.......did nearly 100 miles this week on it and I love how fast it is and especially the way I have many more body position options so stuff doesn't go numb so quickly. I had never ridden a road bike in my life so I'm getting used to it but all signs point to sweetness. Did my first group ride this week too at a 16.5mph pace which was pushing my current limits for a 25 mile ride but I hope to improve steadily since I usually ride 6-7 days a week anyways. Gonna be more road biking and less trails for a while.

1. Yes the reflectors stay.....I ride to work sometimes at dawn and/or dusk...especially when the time change comes
2. No clip ins for me.....again, I commute a lot....gotta be able to wear real shoes. Not to mention I've had a few too many slow speed tipovers from not being able to unclip in the past.....they're just not for me.

Low J. is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 10:21 PM
  #14882  
Senior Member
 
zstjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 403

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
I hope that is a joke.
You do know that he missed a tooth and that's why his chain came off right? The main reason is because he wasn't running the same components.
zstjohn is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 11:04 PM
  #14883  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zstjohn
You do know that he missed a tooth and that's why his chain came off right? The main reason is because he wasn't running the same components.
Word is is that he tried to shift from something like the 13 toothed cog to the 12 (while on the small chainring obviously) and the combination of the cross-chain, chain slack, shift, and a bump on the road caused his chain to to drop.
DCnoJ is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 02:43 AM
  #14884  
Shut up legs
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,625

Bikes: Merckx

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperturbable Ryuu Ichigo



Sick of seeing your bloody Trek 1.1 or whatever it is.
NathanC is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 03:08 AM
  #14885  
Senior Member
 
Timo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 707
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am sure I have posted here a few times already, but this one is new to me just last month. a fabulous '97 Ti MegaTube Bianchi with a Campagnolo Record Ti group
Great frame and components but I think the reversed ahead stem and the positions of the handlebar and seat spoil it. IMHO a "fabulous" Ti MegaTube would be more along these lines...

Timo is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 07:24 AM
  #14886  
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Posts: 4,831
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zstjohn
You do know that he missed a tooth and that's why his chain came off right? The main reason is because he wasn't running the same components.
He was out of the saddle, mashing uphill, and shifting at the same time. He threw his chain. If you watch the video posted by Lennard Zinn on velonews, you can plainly see that he was shifting both the front and back--at the same time--when it happened. This is commonly known as poor technique. Also, the Specialized crank on his bike is known to be a quality product, and wasn't the reason for the chain drop. Poor technique made his chain drop. Even poorer technique while putting the chain back in place is what then caused him to lose time to Contador.

What "tooth" did he miss?

Last edited by Namenda; 07-26-10 at 07:27 AM.
Namenda is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 07:45 AM
  #14887  
Senior Member
 
nruntsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Iowa State University
Posts: 167

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5, 2009 Surly Karate Monkey, 1982 Gitane Tour de France, 1982 Takara Tribute, 2001 Spicer Track

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperturbable Ryuu Ichigo
I assume by "Made in USA" you mean Made in China?
nruntsch is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 07:50 AM
  #14888  
Raising the bar
 
chado445510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newmarket, New Hampshire
Posts: 1,106

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
He was out of the saddle, mashing uphill, and shifting at the same time. He threw his chain. If you watch the video posted by Lennard Zinn on velonews, you can plainly see that he was shifting both the front and back--at the same time--when it happened. This is commonly known as poor technique. Also, the Specialized crank on his bike is known to be a quality product, and wasn't the reason for the chain drop. Poor technique made his chain drop. Even poorer technique while putting the chain back in place is what then caused him to lose time to Contador.

What "tooth" did he miss?
I am probably uninformed, but how was his technique in putting the chain back on poor? You could see him trying to put it back on the small ring with the shifter while he was still moving. When that didn't work, he got off the bike and put it on.
chado445510 is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 11:01 AM
  #14889  
Junior Member
 
Nvrsetl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12

Bikes: Wilier Izoard, Colnago Scandium, Cervelo P3C WC, Lemond Chambry

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My two babies plus one on the way...

Colnago Scandium and Wilier Izoard

Nvrsetl is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 12:25 PM
  #14890  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
He was out of the saddle, mashing uphill, and shifting at the same time. He threw his chain. If you watch the video posted by Lennard Zinn on velonews, you can plainly see that he was shifting both the front and back--at the same time--when it happened. This is commonly known as poor technique. Also, the Specialized crank on his bike is known to be a quality product, and wasn't the reason for the chain drop. Poor technique made his chain drop. Even poorer technique while putting the chain back in place is what then caused him to lose time to Contador.

What "tooth" did he miss?
Also, everything was Sram except the crankarm. The crankarm was Specialized, but on Sram chainrings. So even his "missed tooth" argument is nullified.
DCnoJ is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:12 PM
  #14891  
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Posts: 4,831
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chado445510
I am probably uninformed, but how was his technique in putting the chain back on poor? You could see him trying to put it back on the small ring with the shifter while he was still moving. When that didn't work, he got off the bike and put it on.
What I saw was him try to pedal the chain back on (yeah, that'll work), get off and try to put it on by hand (unsuccessfully), get frustrated, look around, briefly assume the universal WTF pose, try again to put it on, get help to put it on, get a push, then ride away. Meanwhile, Contador floored it, and smoked him all the way down the mountain.

edit...Again, I encourage you to check out Zinn's article on velonews.com. They slow down the video, and show his hands. He was shifting from the small ring to the big ring when he attacked, and threw his chain off to the outside, leaving it hanging on the pedal. Either he pushed too hard (likely) while torquing the frame (as he was mashing, out of the saddle), or the FD was poorly adjusted, allowing the chain to go off (less likely, IMO). Either way, pedalling was not going to put the chain back on, hence the "poor technique" comment I made earlier. That he was unable to get the chain back on, even when he was off the bike and doing it by hand (which he should have done in the first place), again shows poor technique. Or nerves. Or drunkenness. You pick.

Last edited by Namenda; 07-26-10 at 01:24 PM.
Namenda is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:17 PM
  #14892  
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Posts: 4,831
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCnoJ
Also, everything was Sram except the crankarm. The crankarm was Specialized, but on Sram chainrings. So even his "missed tooth" argument is nullified.
Well, there you go. I didn't know he was running Sram chain rings, I saw the Specialized crank and assumed Specialized rings. I still don't get the "tooth" bit.
Namenda is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:24 PM
  #14893  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
2009 Specialized Allez Sport

Going carbon frame soon, but this is what it looks like so far...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
side_reduced..jpg (100.0 KB, 196 views)
dscohen is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:26 PM
  #14894  
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
What I saw was him try to pedal the chain back on (yeah, that'll work), get off and try to put it on by hand (unsuccessfully), get frustrated, look around, briefly assume the universal WTF pose, try again to put it on, get help to put it on, get a push, then ride away. Meanwhile, Contador floored it, and smoked him all the way down the mountain.

edit...Again, I encourage you to check out Zinn's article on velonews.com. They slow down the video, and show his hands. He was shifting from the small ring to the big ring when he attacked, and threw his chain off to the outside, leaving it hanging on the pedal. Either he pushed too hard (likely) while torquing the frame (as he was mashing, out of the saddle), or the FD was poorly adjusted, allowing the chain to go off (less likely, IMO). Either way, pedalling was not going to put the chain back on, hence the "poor technique" comment I made earlier. That he was unable to get the chain back on, even when he was off the bike and doing it by hand (which he should have done in the first place), again shows poor technique. Or nerves. Or drunkenness. You pick.
why do you assume pedaling wouldn't get the chain back on? That's the universal first step in a chain drop. Shift the FD the other way from the drop and try to pedal it back on...
Flatballer is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:35 PM
  #14895  
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Posts: 4,831
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
why do you assume pedaling wouldn't get the chain back on? That's the universal first step in a chain drop. Shift the FD the other way from the drop and try to pedal it back on...
Didn't work for him. Never worked for me. All I've ever seen that do is jam the chain, making it more difficult to put back on. Regardless, it had nothing to do with the choice of equipment, or a mix of different brands, which was what I was responding to initially. And, in the end, it didn't effect the final outcome of the Tour. IMO.
Namenda is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 01:52 PM
  #14896  
SLO-1
 
Yaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,691

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
Didn't work for him. Never worked for me. All I've ever seen that do is jam the chain, making it more difficult to put back on. Regardless, it had nothing to do with the choice of equipment, or a mix of different brands, which was what I was responding to initially. And, in the end, it didn't effect the final outcome of the Tour. IMO.
The only time I haven't been able to pedal my chain back on was the time it fell to the crank arm side. If it falls to the bottom bracket side I've pedaled it back on every time without fail. Additionaly, he lost 39 seconds to the chain incident. He lost the tour by 39 seconds. How did it not affect the outcome?
Yaniel is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 02:25 PM
  #14897  
Senior Member
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,621
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
The only time I haven't been able to pedal my chain back on was the time it fell to the crank arm side. If it falls to the bottom bracket side I've pedaled it back on every time without fail. Additionaly, he lost 39 seconds to the chain incident. He lost the tour by 39 seconds. How did it not affect the outcome?
If AC had not had the advantage of going last in the TT would he have been able to win? we'll never know.
Herbie53 is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 06:11 PM
  #14898  
Raising the bar
 
chado445510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newmarket, New Hampshire
Posts: 1,106

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
What I saw was him try to pedal the chain back on (yeah, that'll work), get off and try to put it on by hand (unsuccessfully), get frustrated, look around, briefly assume the universal WTF pose, try again to put it on, get help to put it on, get a push, then ride away. Meanwhile, Contador floored it, and smoked him all the way down the mountain.

edit...Again, I encourage you to check out Zinn's article on velonews.com. They slow down the video, and show his hands. He was shifting from the small ring to the big ring when he attacked, and threw his chain off to the outside, leaving it hanging on the pedal. Either he pushed too hard (likely) while torquing the frame (as he was mashing, out of the saddle), or the FD was poorly adjusted, allowing the chain to go off (less likely, IMO). Either way, pedalling was not going to put the chain back on, hence the "poor technique" comment I made earlier. That he was unable to get the chain back on, even when he was off the bike and doing it by hand (which he should have done in the first place), again shows poor technique. Or nerves. Or drunkenness. You pick.
I bet AC drugged him. Yeah. That's what happened.
chado445510 is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 06:47 PM
  #14899  
Senior Member
 
blindvelcro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indybiker01
A teaser pic....Wont have it completely built until Monday

How are you going to wrap the Edge bars? I would hate to cover those pretty things!!!!!
blindvelcro is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 07:05 PM
  #14900  
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 3,268
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blindvelcro
How are you going to wrap the Edge bars? I would hate to cover those pretty things!!!!!
I'd use Cinelli Jelly tape.
yellowjeep is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.