Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sports Cream Kills Runner

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sports Cream Kills Runner

Old 06-09-07, 03:52 PM
  #1  
kenny!
Training Wheels Member
Thread Starter
 
kenny!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 261

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sports Cream Kills Runner

Wow...

NEW YORK (AP) -- A medical examiner blamed a 17-year-old track star's death on the use of too much muscle cream, the kind used to soothe aching legs after exercise.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/09/mus....ap/index.html
kenny! is offline  
Old 06-09-07, 03:56 PM
  #2  
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,844

Bikes: Ridley Fenix SL, Niner RLT-9 Steel, Diamond Back Haanjo Trail, Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man....I used to use Sports Cream on my shoulder ALL the time when I used to play tennis a lot....like on a daily basis....
GuitarWizard is offline  
Old 06-09-07, 04:01 PM
  #3  
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 1,180

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....strange!
If its true she must have been lathered up in Bengay over a long period of time.
powerglide is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 08:52 PM
  #4  
soze
ex-everything.
 
soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charlestown, MA
Posts: 606

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiger Balm FTW.

I got some Tiger Balm in my eye once, it was a fascinating sensation. Not painful or burning, just... intense. Very neat.
soze is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 08:55 PM
  #5  
arsw1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soze
Tiger Balm FTW.

I got some Tiger Balm in my eye once, it was a fascinating sensation. Not painful or burning, just... intense. Very neat.
Wow.. you must be a very good biker then... high tolerance to pain and all...
arsw1 is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 08:59 PM
  #6  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read this story this morning and was thinking that she must have had some type of condition that affected the drug's metabolism, absorption, or excretion.

But the mother's quote is the most disturbing: "I am scrupulous about my children's health," she told the Advance. "I did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe."

If you don't think OTC products can be dangerous, then you're not being scrupulous.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:04 PM
  #7  
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!
 
FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the runner was using Bengay...

and http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2908897.shtml is a better article. i saw it on the new tonight too...

and like the saying goes, too much of a good thing isn't a good thing...
FIVE ONE SIX is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:08 PM
  #8  
Strong Bad
ride lots
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
If you don't think OTC products can be dangerous, then you're not being scrupulous.
Thanks for the great insight, DrPete. But did you know that good old Ben-Gay could kill you?
I didn't, and if you did, why didn't you share it with 99.999% of the population that didn't know that.
It is a tragedy, and I don't think, even the most cautious of us would have seen that coming.
Strong Bad is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:15 PM
  #9  
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 1,180

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the good old Tiger Balm....great for headaches too (HEADON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD!!)
powerglide is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:17 PM
  #10  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Thanks for the great insight, DrPete. But did you know that good old Ben-Gay could kill you?
I didn't, and if you did, why didn't you share it with 99.999% of the population that didn't know that.
It is a tragedy, and I don't think, even the most cautious of us would have seen that coming.
Aspirin, Tylenol, Motrin, Robitussin, and Sudafed can kill you in the right dose, in conjunction with other medical conditions, or if taken with other meds. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I've not read the product label for Ben-Gay because I don't have any in the house, but I'd imagine that there's something on the label about the dosing and frequency.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:17 PM
  #11  
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerglide
+1 for the good old Tiger Balm....great for headaches too (HEADON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD!!)
+2

Being Asian, I use it all the time. Love the smell.
shakeNbake is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:20 PM
  #12  
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!
 
FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
It is a tragedy, and I don't think, even the most cautious of us would have seen that coming.
the problem with seeing anything coming with athlete's, is that the normal signs are things that they see everyday, so you won't really see any signs until it's too late, like this...

the only thing that her mom said that was strange was that she said her body didn't feel like it was recovering fast enough between races, and if someone said that here the first thing someone would attribute it to was overtraining, not a life threating situation...
FIVE ONE SIX is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:26 PM
  #13  
Strong Bad
ride lots
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Aspirin, Tylenol, Motrin, Robitussin, and Sudafed can kill you in the right dose, in conjunction with other medical conditions, or if taken with other meds. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I've not read the product label for Ben-Gay because I don't have any in the house, but I'd imagine that there's something on the label about the dosing and frequency.
Actually, I'm very cautious about any meds, over the counter or not myself, but out of all the things that I would worry about (Doctor recommended Tylenol being probably being #1 - on a very long list), I have never heard a thing about Ben-gay. Did you?
Strong Bad is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:29 PM
  #14  
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I read this story this morning and was thinking that she must have had some type of condition that affected the drug's metabolism, absorption, or excretion.

But the mother's quote is the most disturbing: "I am scrupulous about my children's health," she told the Advance. "I did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe."

If you don't think OTC products can be dangerous, then you're not being scrupulous.

That's freaky. So what's the rule of thumb for using this kind of stuff?

I dont use it all that often, in fact only once this year after I did a 12k foot race. But this got me to thinking whether it's worth the risk to use it more often...
Snicklefritz is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:37 PM
  #15  
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
That's freaky. So what's the rule of thumb for using this kind of stuff?

I dont use it all that often, in fact only once this year after I did a 12k foot race. But this got me to thinking whether it's worth the risk to use it more often...
I think it's really just a freak incident. She probably had some strange condition that made her body absorb all that stuff. Or she just slather her whole body with that stuff during an unfortunate (and really freaky) sex act.

What's your opinion Dr. House? Is it Lupus?

shakeNbake is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:40 PM
  #16  
Jinker
Senior Member
 
Jinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa,ON
Posts: 642

Bikes: Univega Via Montega, Nashbar Aluminum frame/105 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How hard is this to understand?

"Adults and Children 2 years of age and older: Apply to affected area not more than 3 to 4 times daily. If condition worsens, or if symptoms persist for more than 7 days or clear-up and occur again within a few days, discontinue use of this product and consult a doctor. "

Sounds like she was using it for a lot more than 7 days. If you're doing that, you should be consulting a doctor. Unless a doctor told her to use copious amounts of Ben-Gay daily (in which case they're the one's to blame in this situation) I don't see anything terribly mysterious here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_poisoning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_poisoning

"I did not think an over the counter/out of the tap/available in air product could be unsafe."

Anything can be dangerous in stupidly large quantities/concentrations. Water, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Iron etc etc etc.

This is the *first* reported case of someone killing themselves by od'ing on this particular form of Aspirin. Sounds pretty remarkably safe to me, given the number of people who use it.
Jinker is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 09:49 PM
  #17  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Actually, I'm very cautious about any meds, over the counter or not myself, but out of all the things that I would worry about (Doctor recommended Tylenol being probably being #1 - on a very long list), I have never heard a thing about Ben-gay. Did you?
I know that salicylates are toxic in sufficiently high doses and that Ben-Gay contains a salicylate. That's probably why the label has limitations on frequency and duration of use.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:03 PM
  #18  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the mother's an idiot. Some people here are making assumptions in order to bill her as some kind of ignorant **** when I think in reality, it's somewhere in between. Most people don't expect over the counter medications to kill them when taken with moderation and with consideration to the side effects. She might have retained too much of the chemical for one reason or another. Kind of like how taking sildenafil with grapefruit juice can really **** you up.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:06 PM
  #19  
donrhummy
Senior Member
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is very sad but it's very typical use these days. Everything seems to now be consumed in overly large quantities. There's no such thing as moderation or balance any more. Overconsumption, overdoing it seem to have become the norm.
donrhummy is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:17 PM
  #20  
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
This is very sad but it's very typical use these days. Everything seems to now be consumed in overly large quantities. There's no such thing as moderation or balance any more. Overconsumption, overdoing it seem to have become the norm.
+1

what about something like the size of a "large fry" from McDonalds now vs. 10 years ago. scary!
Snicklefritz is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:18 PM
  #21  
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Kind of like how taking sildenafil with grapefruit juice can really **** you up.
Like the good kind of **** up or bad **** up.
shakeNbake is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:39 PM
  #22  
XANTHOS CHICAGO
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the medicine killed her or did she kill herself by using the medicine.

I am with the National American Advancement for Cream in Sports (NAACP)

and to blame the victim---(the sports cream) is wrong and I will not sit for it--
XANTHOS CHICAGO is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:42 PM
  #23  
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XANTHOS CHICAGO
the medicine killed her or did she kill herself by using the medicine.

I am with the National American Advancement for Cream in Sports (NAACP)

and to blame the victim---(the sports cream) is wrong and I will not sit for it--
I thought you were going to say you wouldn't sit in it.
Snicklefritz is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:51 PM
  #24  
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider
 
spdrcr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 524

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same active ingredient that was found to be very high in her system is the same active ingredient in aspirin/tylenol. The coroner was surpised that the levels were as high as they were. The scary thing is the symptoms that she was feeling were the exact way you'd feel after a day of track practice.

Her mother had brought her to the doctor to have her checked out. She also said all of her teammates were using the same products in the same dosages.
spdrcr5 is offline  
Old 06-10-07, 10:55 PM
  #25  
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,907

Bikes: Orbea Onix & Bianchi Premio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I know that salicylates are toxic in sufficiently high doses and that Ben-Gay contains a salicylate. That's probably why the label has limitations on frequency and duration of use.
Interestingly, my sister, a physician, was visiting when we heard this report and her immediate reaction was, "I bet it was something with a salicylate." The version we heard was multiple tubes being used a day.
ericcox is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.