Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD10

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Cannondale CAAD10

Old 09-02-07, 05:57 PM
  #1  
.....
Thread Starter
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cannondale CAAD10

Is there any expected time frame that cannondale plans on making another change to their frame and releasing a CAAD10? I see only some 2008's were released so I assume it wouldn't be this year. I am considering buying a CAAD 9 frameset in a couple of months and building it up over a couple of more but I would hate for something newer to come out ina couple of months. Thanks
Jynx is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 06:21 PM
  #2  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I think they're getting rid of the CAAD8 and introducing a cheaper groupset (tiagra) on the Six13.

I haven't heard anything about a CAAD10 and no LBS I talked to mentioned anything about it.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 06:27 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
elemental's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope they do in the near future so I can score a cheap CAAD9 for a crit build. However, I don't know if that day will ever some, as they seem to be more concerned with moving into CF. This would explain the Six13 with Tiagra (Doh!).
elemental is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 07:47 PM
  #4  
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At some point, you simply reach the development threshold of your raw material. Any development past that is sheer marketing.

Unfortunately, I think the day might come when an all-aluminum cannondale doesn't exist. I completely understand that market demand (artificially created by other manufacturers) is pushing them in that direction. I just think it would be a shame to see them go the way of Klein.
JeffS is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 11:02 PM
  #5  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Yeah. They're still using aluminum rear triangles, which is pretty sweet. It might be a little more 'harsh', but it is a helluva lot better at energy transfer.

I hate how marketing can sometimes ruin a totally good thing to put out something just different.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 12:59 AM
  #6  
Dammit!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, nobody seems to know. I intend score a cheap CAAD9 Optimo when the new frames come out. My co-worker got a CAAD8 on sale when the CAAD9's came out last year.
NaBlade is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 01:00 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
VT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,960

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Yeah. They're still using aluminum rear triangles, which is pretty sweet. It might be a little more 'harsh', but it is a helluva lot better at energy transfer.

I hate how marketing can sometimes ruin a totally good thing to put out something just different.
I grabbed a copy of their 2008 Catalogue from a local bike shop the other day. There are just 2 CAAD models, both CAAD 9, with the highest model only containing the 105 group set.

It saddens me, since I love what C-Dale has done with their ALU frames. But I think the market for extremely stiff race bikes is moving in the all Carbon direction. I think Cannondale should keep the ALU CAAD bikes (even if they never change from a CAAD 9) almost to continue to allow them to keep their identity. Current mangement I think sees the predicament. Those lusting after racing machines will buy the System or Super Six models. Those looking at a level lower will likely be more budget minded, and when push comes to shove, why choose the Six13 over the CAAD frame except for the Group Set?

In other words, if they had more models of the CAAD 9 line with Ultegra/Dura-Ace or SRAM quality components, they would have trouble selling the Six13's, since the Carbon-ALU bikes do not (IMHO) have the necessary performance increase worth the extra $$$. And since they have spent tons of capital on improving their facility to manufacture carbon, they want to recoup that capital expenditure as fast as possible. You do that by selling Super Six, System Six and Six13 bikes. You do not do that by undercutting the Six13 by selling CAAD's, which offer similar performance for less money.

In addition, since so many ignorant riders pee themselves at the sight of a carbon weave, they can charge more for the Six13 than a CAAD frame.


As for the idea that they may be at the end of that material's design limits is short-sighted. A new aluminum alloy which improves tencile strength seems to me to be a change worthy of a new model. If I were a betting man, that is where the next improvement in the CAAD frames come. They may also find a better way to shape a down tube, head tube, or seat tube here or there. And since they still beleive in ALU for the rear triangle of the System Six and Six13, trust me, they want to continue to lighten the alloy and strengthen it.

Unfortunately for ALU, it is considered either as the entry level bike material or as a race bike frame material. So in terms of high-end ALU bike availability, it is being undercut by the Carbon lust around here.

Titanium and Steel benefit from the fact that they offer a more compliant ride, which allows them to be marketed more to the riders looking for comfortable, non-race worthy bikes which are not entry level bikes.
VT Biker is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:47 AM
  #8  
.....
Thread Starter
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of good points made. I guess they are going to leave it as there "cheaper" bike with 105 comonents as the highest level and really push for CF. I just hope they never discontinue it.
Jynx is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 06:34 AM
  #9  
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,170

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Yeah. They're still using aluminum rear triangles, which is pretty sweet. It might be a little more 'harsh', but it is a helluva lot better at energy transfer.

I hate how marketing can sometimes ruin a totally good thing to put out something just different.
Incorrect.
waterrockets is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 07:04 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Pieralberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bye caad 8 but.

Im replacing the gray for the blue, does anyone knows if the grey can be fixed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ding.jpg (54.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg
me.jpg (16.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg
Need Paint.jpg (20.3 KB, 197 views)
Pieralberto is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 09:59 AM
  #11  
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,170

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Pieralberto
Im replacing the gray for the blue, does anyone knows if the grey can be fixed?
Yeah, it can be fixed. Just find a framebuilder willing to weld in a new top tube. Maybe post over in the framebuilder's forum. It would probably be a couple hundred dollars, plus you'd need to repaint.
waterrockets is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 10:20 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
kergin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the aluminum Cannondale road frames disappear; remember, they have to re-tool their factories to handle carbon frame manufacturing. Operating full aluminum and carbon frame factories can get very expensive, and, for better or worse, it seems as though Cannondale corporate has chosen a carbon-based future.
kergin is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 12:24 PM
  #13  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
Incorrect.
Please accept my appologies.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 12:36 PM
  #14  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
I grabbed a copy of their 2008 Catalogue from a local bike shop the other day. There are just 2 CAAD models, both CAAD 9, with the highest model only containing the 105 group set.

It saddens me, since I love what C-Dale has done with their ALU frames. But I think the market for extremely stiff race bikes is moving in the all Carbon direction. I think Cannondale should keep the ALU CAAD bikes (even if they never change from a CAAD 9) almost to continue to allow them to keep their identity. Current mangement I think sees the predicament. Those lusting after racing machines will buy the System or Super Six models. Those looking at a level lower will likely be more budget minded, and when push comes to shove, why choose the Six13 over the CAAD frame except for the Group Set?

In other words, if they had more models of the CAAD 9 line with Ultegra/Dura-Ace or SRAM quality components, they would have trouble selling the Six13's, since the Carbon-ALU bikes do not (IMHO) have the necessary performance increase worth the extra $$$. And since they have spent tons of capital on improving their facility to manufacture carbon, they want to recoup that capital expenditure as fast as possible. You do that by selling Super Six, System Six and Six13 bikes. You do not do that by undercutting the Six13 by selling CAAD's, which offer similar performance for less money.

In addition, since so many ignorant riders pee themselves at the sight of a carbon weave, they can charge more for the Six13 than a CAAD frame.


As for the idea that they may be at the end of that material's design limits is short-sighted. A new aluminum alloy which improves tencile strength seems to me to be a change worthy of a new model. If I were a betting man, that is where the next improvement in the CAAD frames come. They may also find a better way to shape a down tube, head tube, or seat tube here or there. And since they still beleive in ALU for the rear triangle of the System Six and Six13, trust me, they want to continue to lighten the alloy and strengthen it.

Unfortunately for ALU, it is considered either as the entry level bike material or as a race bike frame material. So in terms of high-end ALU bike availability, it is being undercut by the Carbon lust around here.

Titanium and Steel benefit from the fact that they offer a more compliant ride, which allows them to be marketed more to the riders looking for comfortable, non-race worthy bikes which are not entry level bikes.
Like I said, they're doing a SIX13 with Tiagra for their lower end. The CAAD 9 is likely going to be phased out in the next year or two. I really hope they still offer the frame as a simple frameset for the future. It'd make a beautiful budget racing/crit bike for people who need it. Especially since the price on the CAAD 9 is going to go down further.

I'm sad to see the CAAD Series phase out. I really love my CAAD 9 and it's a lot more comfortable than I would have been led to believe by listening to people talk about the harsh ride of aluminium bikes.

I could have spent a few 100 more, but considering that i just spent close to 400 dollars on textbooks, that's where my money should go. The CAAD9 is going to be more than enough of a bike for me for the next few years. If I can get my school organized enough to start racing next year, then I'm probably going to be on the market for a bike that I could afford to crash. At the rate the aluminium frame prices are going, I could probably get another CAAD9 for half the price I paid for this...
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 01:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 5,104

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waterrockets
Yeah, it can be fixed. Just find a framebuilder willing to weld in a new top tube. Maybe post over in the framebuilder's forum. It would probably be a couple hundred dollars, plus you'd need to repaint.
I'm going to stay no. Its not worth repairing aluminum because you have to heat treat post weld.
nitropowered is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 01:16 PM
  #16  
Burnin' and Lootin'
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Future BD bike...
ggg300 is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:09 PM
  #17  
Ink-Stained Wretch
 
pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Holyoke, MA
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doubtful the CAAD 9 will be phased out all together, in fact I was told by Steve Metz (VP of Product at C'dale) that if someone were to come up with a petition for a CAAD 9 w/BB30 they'd go ahead with it if they got a few thousand signatures...
pinky is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:33 PM
  #18  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by pinky
Doubtful the CAAD 9 will be phased out all together, in fact I was told by Steve Metz (VP of Product at C'dale) that if someone were to come up with a petition for a CAAD 9 w/BB30 they'd go ahead with it if they got a few thousand signatures...
That'd be awesome...

Hopefully the prices would be a lot better too!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:33 PM
  #19  
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ggg300
Future BD bike...
Who knows...

It seems that BD deals more with Fuji though.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 04:26 PM
  #20  
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I really hope they continue with their CAAD series. it's an awesome frame. Much better then all other aluminum frames in that price range. Just my .002 cents.
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 06:38 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
VT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,960

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD frames are THE best ALU frames on the market, period. If someone can dispute that, please do.
VT Biker is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 06:59 PM
  #22  
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Posts: 8,850

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my logical thinking talking here but:
I don't think that Cannondale is going to stop the CAAD series just yet. Their aluminum frames will not go away, mainly because they are strong in mountain bikes and in cyclocross and are a company that throroughly believes in aluminum.
However, they may be running out of new things to do to their CAAD frames past what's already been done. One thing, however, that I do see, is them using Scandium or a new, ultra-thin aluminum tubing int heir future models.
Cannondale will be giving up a lot of consumer money by shipping their aluminum frame production to China or Taiwan. Also, since they offer sidewalk bikes and the likes, they cannot go from family bikes straight to top-end bikes. There has to be a liason, no matter how good or bad it is. Even though Scott has it's feet thoroughly planted in the top-end mountian and road bikes, they do have a lower end Speedster. Even Pinarello offers aluminum with a 105 group.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 07:46 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,724

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I was in the LBS Cannondale in Williamsburg today. They must have had 10 CAAD 8s ($1.1k) and 5 CAAD 9s($1.5k) in the racks all with 105 components. Would make a nice second no wait 4th road bike. Someday.
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 07:50 PM
  #24  
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I was in the LBS Cannondale in Williamsburg today. They must have had 10 CAAD 8s ($1.1k) and 5 CAAD 9s($1.5k) in the racks all with 105 components. Would make a nice second no wait 4th road bike. Someday.
Kool. I am looking for a CAAD8 frame cheap, so I can build it with SRAM. This gives me hope that I can find one.
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 08:05 PM
  #25  
raodmaster shaman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: G-ville
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
At some point, you simply reach the development threshold of your raw material. Any development past that is sheer marketing.

Unfortunately, I think the day might come when an all-aluminum cannondale doesn't exist. I completely understand that market demand (artificially created by other manufacturers) is pushing them in that direction. I just think it would be a shame to see them go the way of Klein.
aluminum will almost certainly always be cheaper than CF, so there will be a place in the market for entry level aluminum racing bikes for decades to come IMO.

I agree that there is a diminishing margin of improvement with aluminum that cannondale is likely approaching. But look at steel bikes, reynolds 531 (or other cro-moly) has been around for the better part of a century and bikes still get made out of it to this day.
roadgator is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.