Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Pcad Bike Schwag Machine Never Rests

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Pcad Bike Schwag Machine Never Rests

Old 10-07-07, 02:47 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
doesn't matter, it made Moby Dick seem like a short story.
ahh... now you're speaking language i understand. it's like your blog.

keep posting -- you're almost to 20/day. you can do it! i believe in you! i'm afraid there's no cash prize, but you'll get a small trophy for your windowsill, i'm certain.

concise post: pcad stated a misconception in his earlier post. i chose to educate rather than simply say "you're wrong." i really would like to please people like botto, for whom civility does not matter.

and you talk about not getting it.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 02:51 PM
  #52  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
ahh... now you're speaking language i understand. it's like your blog.

keep posting -- you're almost to 20/day. you can do it! i believe in you! i'm afraid there's no cash prize, but you'll get a small trophy for your windowsill, i'm certain.

concise post: pcad stated a misconception in his earlier post. i chose to educate rather than simply say "you're wrong." i really would like to please people like botto, for whom civility does not matter.

and you talk about not getting it.
Tip: spend less time researching my posts, and more learning how to write effectively.
botto is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 03:25 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
Tip: spend less time researching my posts, and more learning how to write effectively.
sorry you thought i was interested in tips from you.

maybe if you had comments comments on your blog that were complimentary of your writing, i'd listen to your literary critique.

since we're onto unsolicited tips, here's one for you: get off your bike, stop posting on internet forums about biking, stop blogging about biking -- and experience something other than biking. you might learn something. we get that you're good at ONE thing.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 03:31 PM
  #54  
1.9lb/in
 
pseudobrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Susquehanna shoreline
Posts: 1,360

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
sports that one does not have to travel for are cheap, particularly if one does them under their own power... like biking up and down hills, real skiing (by climbing up the hills first, of course). i'm sorry you missed that point or made up your own info to suit your statement.
I've never heard of this "real skiing" stuff where you have to hike up the mountain. We used to do that when we went sledding as kids. Sounds kind of ghetto.

The fun component – the whole point of the sport in other words – of skiing consists of going downhill. The fun component of riding a bike is generally when you start turning the cranks.

Your analogy is really just God awful because bicycling never requires a mountain. Very few people live anywhere near a ski-able mountain. On the other hand I think most Americans have no trouble finding a road.
pseudobrit is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:03 PM
  #55  
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Why would anyone want to hike up the mountain to ski? Are you completely around the bend? Nobody outside of a few granola head backwoods whackos does that. The rest of us strap on the Volkls and the iPod, hit the Gondola and slam down the double diamonds. After burning a tankful of pricey gas, renting a pricey house, buying a pricey plane ticket and of course procuring an even pricier lift pass. Don't even get me started on my pal's Canadian heli-ski adventures which tend to run $6K+ per week (just for him).
patentcad is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:12 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
I've never heard of this "real skiing" stuff where you have to hike up the mountain. We used to do that when we went sledding as kids. Sounds kind of ghetto.

The fun component – the whole point of the sport in other words – of skiing consists of going downhill. The fun component of riding a bike is generally when you start turning the cranks.

Your analogy is really just God awful because bicycling never requires a mountain. Very few people live anywhere near a ski-able mountain. On the other hand I think most Americans have no trouble finding a road.
hi, pseudobrit:
before there were lifts, people were climbing mountains and skiing them. that type of stuff continues today. your comment, "sounds kind of ghetto," (aside from being insulting) is akin to saying that people who mountain bike up (instead of having their friends shuttle them to the top) are "ghetto".

i'm not sure that you were successful in defining "the whole point of the sport", as it seems to me you have only been exposed to one side. i bike up a decent hill here, for example, and i enjoy the ride down -- but i don't say "the whole point is the ride down."

some folks enjoy the work to bike up the hill, or the work to climb/hike/skin up the mountain, too. i don't blame you for not being exposed to it, but sometimes we learn the world is not really flat although we believed it to be so.

i'd argue that the fun begins when one is away from crowds, away from a manufactured experience, responsible for one's own safety, doing something (climbing/skiing) that has never --or rarely --- been done before. but we are different people.

if you do have any interest (sounds like you don't), do research on skiing, ski mountaineering, mountaineering, randonee skiing, backcountry skiing, "earn your turns", etc. also, one could just look at the history of the sport and learn when the first people were skiing vs. when the first "ski lift" was created...or when the first "ski resort" was created to make people "safe" from any danger associated with a real mountain.

is cross-country skiing "skiing"? there are no lifts, but there are hills.

as far as it being an awful analogy, i agree that it was not perfect, but i do think it had some merit. many people live in areas where it snows. (it does snow in connecticut and new york, for instance.) many people live near hills. (we have learned that pcad encounters hills even in new york; if he can find them, they must be nearly everywhere.)

snow + hill = skiing, if one is motivated.

summary: i mean no disrespect to you, but i hope you can see that there is more to skiing than how it has been defined for you in the past.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:17 PM
  #57  
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Real Skiing" is what old school skiers do when gondolas and lift didn't exist in enough numbers, and it is still done by the following people:
people who live near skiable mountains without lift or gondolas
people who want to get away from the resort skiers
people who enjoy hiking and skiing at the same time
and people who don't have the means to heli-ski, rent snowmobiles, or even pay for lift tickets.

Meaning: hiking for hours up the mountain (where gondolas or lift didn't exist), sometimes with snowshoes, with at least 30 pounds of gears (hydration pack included).

It was done to purify the whole concept of "Real Skiing" as oppose to using a snowmobile or a helicopter to get to the peak, and it's a good way of getting far from crowed skiing resorts.

It is really inexpensive if you already have the gears (no lift pass, no renting a house as you would camp, and all you had to do was drive to the base location).

It's nice if you like both hiking and skiing. In any case when this skiing season hits, I'm taking the lifts instead.
mrbubbles is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:23 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Why would anyone want to hike up the mountain to ski? Are you completely around the bend? Nobody outside of a few granola head backwoods whackos does that. The rest of us strap on the Volkls and the iPod, hit the Gondola and slam down the double diamonds. After burning a tankful of pricey gas, renting a pricey house, buying a pricey plane ticket and of course procuring an even pricier lift pass. Don't even get me started on my pal's Canadian heli-ski adventures which tend to run $6K+ per week (just for him).
why did you do 4,700 feet of climbing on your last 100 mile bike ride? don't you know there are cars that can take you UP the hills?

in fact, why are you a biker at all? CAAD frames are pricey (let alone multiple ones), power meters are expensive, yadda yadda. surely only granola types would CARE about the price of a tank of gas and actually BIKE places instead of drive to them...

of course i don't agree with the above, but it's as absurd and ignorant as your posts. when you don't understand something, you attack it in a heavy-handed manner. you confuse disagreement with your point with "not getting it."

your pal's heli-ski adventures in canada are pampered vacations where lobster bisque is flown in to them so they can have lunch in the mountains. it's a rich-man's vacation, and nothing more. it's not exactly the same as stepping out of one's house and riding a bike -- or hiking up your local hill and skiing down. (note: not all skiing involving helicopters is this way, but most of it is.)

"my gosh--it cost me $5k to go on a cycling trip to italy and be pampered in bed & breakfast establishments." the same could be said of cycling. are you missing that point? you're smarter than that, we know.

i personally believe the manufactured skiing experience has taken away much of the adventure that was inherent in the sport, and the evidence is in the views that you and pseudobrit hold. i don't blame YOU for them, but i do think it's unfortunate that they exist. my earlier post was an attempt to inform.

the freedom one experiences when they hop on their bike and ride wherever they please is an experience that can be had on skis...but not at hunter mountain on a weekend, unfortunately.

i'm honestly sorry that my sincere effort to show that there is more to a sport seems to have been unsuccessful.

i love biking. i love skiing. i ride my bike as often as i can for pleasure and transportation. i to drive my car. i have hired helicopters. i sometimes ride ski lifts. i have also climbed some of the highest peaks in the world to ski down places that have never been skied before.

i know you try to be incendiary -- that seems to be your nature -- by using strong language and being dismissive of entire categories of activities. i find it limiting, but presumably you do what you need to to get by in your world.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:26 PM
  #59  
1.9lb/in
 
pseudobrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Susquehanna shoreline
Posts: 1,360

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i'm not sure that you were successful in defining "the whole point of the sport", as it seems to me you have only been exposed to one side. i bike up a decent hill here, for example, and i enjoy the ride down -- but i don't say "the whole point is the ride down."
No, the whole point is the whole ride. You go up, it's fun. You go down, it's fun. You're on the flats and it's still (kind of) fun. But the whole experience is one thing: a bike ride. What you're talking about is hiking up a mountain in the snow and then skiing. I guess you think you've discovered some holisitc experience, but whatever.

if you do have any interest (sounds like you don't), do research on skiing, ski mountaineering, mountaineering, randonee skiing, backcountry skiing, "earn your turns", etc. also, one could just look at the history of the sport and learn when the first people were skiing vs. when the first "ski lift" was created...or when the first "ski resort" was created to make people "safe" from any danger associated with a real mountain.
I was snowboarding before it was cool to snowboard. Hell, I remember the blacklist.

as far as it being an awful analogy, i agree that it was not perfect, but i do think it had some merit. many people live in areas where it snows. (it does snow in connecticut and new york, for instance.) many people live near hills. (we have learned that pcad encounters hills even in new york; if he can find them, they must be nearly everywhere.)

snow + hill = skiing, if one is motivated.
Yeah, you could hike up a hill for 3 minutes and ski down for 30 seconds. Sounds like a blast.
pseudobrit is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 04:32 PM
  #60  
1.9lb/in
 
pseudobrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Susquehanna shoreline
Posts: 1,360

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
why did you do 4,700 feet of climbing on your last 100 mile bike ride?
Because he was feeling weak and picked an easy route?
pseudobrit is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 05:02 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
No, the whole point is the whole ride. You go up, it's fun. You go down, it's fun. You're on the flats and it's still (kind of) fun. But the whole experience is one thing: a bike ride.
you're getting into judgments here. "skiing" is about the whole experience, too, which includes the ascent. you might not enjoy the ascent, or you might prefer riding lifts.

the analogy of a downhill mountain biker holds: the only "fun" part is the ride down. (i don't agree with it, but you're a "downhill skier at a resort" rather than just a skier (or boarder/rider).

Originally Posted by psuedobrit
Yeah, you could hike up a hill for 3 minutes and ski down for 30 seconds. Sounds like a blast.
judgments again. one could choose to ski/skin/hike up 7,000' in the span of under 7 miles here, and then enjoy the ride down, too, at the other extreme. or ride lifts and hike further out beyond a resort boundary.

your point, i'm guessing, is that if someone hikes for 3 minutes and skis for 30 seconds they are not having fun; i suppose if one bikes for 20 minutes they are not having fun, either. i have a different point of view than you do on this one, i'm afraid.

as for your playful swipe at pcad below (re: climbing).... are you saying he now lives in a hilly area? one which actually gets snow, too?
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 05:05 PM
  #62  
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
why did you do 4,700 feet of climbing on your last 100 mile bike ride? don't you know there are cars that can take you UP the hills?

in fact, why are you a biker at all? CAAD frames are pricey (let alone multiple ones), power meters are expensive, yadda yadda. surely only granola types would CARE about the price of a tank of gas and actually BIKE places instead of drive to them...

of course i don't agree with the above, but it's as absurd and ignorant as your posts. when you don't understand something, you attack it in a heavy-handed manner. you confuse disagreement with your point with "not getting it."

your pal's heli-ski adventures in canada are pampered vacations where lobster bisque is flown in to them so they can have lunch in the mountains. it's a rich-man's vacation, and nothing more. it's not exactly the same as stepping out of one's house and riding a bike -- or hiking up your local hill and skiing down. (note: not all skiing involving helicopters is this way, but most of it is.)

"my gosh--it cost me $5k to go on a cycling trip to italy and be pampered in bed & breakfast establishments." the same could be said of cycling. are you missing that point? you're smarter than that, we know.

i personally believe the manufactured skiing experience has taken away much of the adventure that was inherent in the sport, and the evidence is in the views that you and pseudobrit hold. i don't blame YOU for them, but i do think it's unfortunate that they exist. my earlier post was an attempt to inform.

the freedom one experiences when they hop on their bike and ride wherever they please is an experience that can be had on skis...but not at hunter mountain on a weekend, unfortunately.

i'm honestly sorry that my sincere effort to show that there is more to a sport seems to have been unsuccessful.

i love biking. i love skiing. i ride my bike as often as i can for pleasure and transportation. i to drive my car. i have hired helicopters. i sometimes ride ski lifts. i have also climbed some of the highest peaks in the world to ski down places that have never been skied before.


i know you try to be incendiary -- that seems to be your nature -- by using strong language and being dismissive of entire categories of activities. i find it limiting, but presumably you do what you need to to get by in your world.
Dude. Brevity.

If you find me incendiary, don't listen to NY Talk Radio. You would stroke out.
patentcad is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 05:18 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Dude. Brevity.

If you find me incendiary, don't listen to NY Talk Radio. You would stroke out.
left that far, far behind. life's too short. i wouldn't stroke out - but i can see things for what they are.

not all points can be made in 1 sentence, pcad (excluding quips designed to insult more than discuss). in reality, you don't really address any of the points i've made in an attempt to clear up misunderstandings.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 05:24 PM
  #64  
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
left that far, far behind. life's too short. i wouldn't stroke out - but i can see things for what they are.

not all points can be made in 1 sentence, pcad (excluding quips designed to insult more than discuss). in reality, you don't really address any of the points i've made in an attempt to clear up misunderstandings.
I'm just busting balls TR. You're from the back country skier world, I'm from the Yuppie Arsehole Skier Universe. If they collided, it would be the End of Days. Actually I think that does occur with some frequency at places like JHole and Snowbird trams no? I've skiied both places a few times, done some Snowcat and backcountry ski outings with guides in Targhee and Utah. Here in Orange County the back country trips involve taking my dog Sam out for a walk in the woods (when there's no snow) on our 6 acres and the adjoining 200+ that have yet to be developed. TR if you saw the hill we have a season pass at (Mt. Peter, Warwick, NY) you'd crack up. I can ski the entire vertical in about 40 seconds.
patentcad is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 06:00 PM
  #65  
Young and unconcerned
 
Treefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Merry Land
Posts: 4,123

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Pcad Fan Club Kits are available from DocRay, PM him directly.
I want the stringy shoe design woven into the socks.
Treefox is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 09:51 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm just busting balls TR. You're from the back country skier world, I'm from the Yuppie Arsehole Skier Universe. If they collided, it would be the End of Days. Actually I think that does occur with some frequency at places like JHole and Snowbird trams no? I've skiied both places a few times, done some Snowcat and backcountry ski outings with guides in Targhee and Utah. Here in Orange County the back country trips involve taking my dog Sam out for a walk in the woods (when there's no snow) on our 6 acres and the adjoining 200+ that have yet to be developed. TR if you saw the hill we have a season pass at (Mt. Peter, Warwick, NY) you'd crack up. I can ski the entire vertical in about 40 seconds.
it's all good. 'yuppie arsehole skier universe' is not terminology i would use. i believe that we all know a certain reality -- and i truly enjoy taking people out and showing them there is a world beyond the lifts. folks who put as much work into biking (long solo rides, hills), they tend to enjoy the aerobic challenge, the solitude, self-reliance and feeling of earning the descent.

then again, it's not for everyone. if people are outside having fun, it's all fine by me.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 09:55 PM
  #67  
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Posts: 7,281

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you ever think of something, and not make a useless thread about it?
BoSoxYacht is offline  
Old 10-08-07, 01:43 AM
  #68  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
sorry you thought i was interested in tips from you.

maybe if you had comments comments on your blog that were complimentary of your writing, i'd listen to your literary critique.

since we're onto unsolicited tips, here's one for you: get off your bike, stop posting on internet forums about biking, stop blogging about biking -- and experience something other than biking. you might learn something. we get that you're good at ONE thing.

looks like someone got their overly verbose knickers into a twist.
botto is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.