Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help! Need bike suggestions.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help! Need bike suggestions.

Old 10-23-07, 08:47 AM
  #1  
steve91562
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! Need bike suggestions.

I'm getting back to cycling after 20 or so years out of the saddle. Imagine my suprise when I walked into the LBS looking for downtube fricting shifters... Back then I did a bit of racing, built my own road bikes, but then hurt a knee. Now, I'm trying to avoid back surgery, and the doc says "try cycling." The knee seems fine, but I'm having trouble finding a comfortable road bike. I don't want a touring bike, but I can't use a hard core racer.

I'm looking for something with relaxed angles and a shorter TT for a more upright position. I'm probably a little short in the arms compared to the inseam. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
steve91562 is offline  
Old 10-23-07, 10:18 AM
  #2  
Zyler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 59

Bikes: Serotta CdA, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can afford it, a nice custom built frame is a good option. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I have a herniated/ruptured disk and was running. I finally caved in and gave up running to return to cycling. I had a custom build Serotta built to accomodate my back. I have done some racing with it, but could also ride for hours on it. It fits well.

That's my $0.02
Zyler is offline  
Old 10-23-07, 10:44 AM
  #3  
SEAtrain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 198

Bikes: Pedal Force RS, Serotta "Atlanta", Gitane "Tour de France", (2) Specialized "Stumpjumper", Trek "950"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a specific frame recommendation, but I'm guessing you'll be most comfortable on a bike with a relatively shallow saddle/bar drop. For this reason, you might want to avoid compact frame designs with a carbon fork. With a compact frame, you'll likely want to add more spacers between the headset and stem than is recommended by the carbon fork manufacturer.

I have good flexibility and I prefer a relatively low saddle/bar drop. I'm using the max # of spacers recommended by the fork manufacturer (Pedal Force RS).

BTW- I've owned a Serotta Atlanta since 1996 and I still ride it as much as my new Pedal Force. You could do worse!
SEAtrain is offline  
Old 10-23-07, 12:55 PM
  #4  
Big Paulie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve91562 View Post
I'm looking for something with relaxed angles and a shorter TT for a more upright position. Any suggestions?
Think about going with a higher bar, rather than a shorter top tube. Try a Rivendell. See my post in your 50+ thread, Steve.
Big Paulie is offline  
Old 10-23-07, 01:48 PM
  #5  
Peek the Geek
is slower than you
 
Peek the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 1,486

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the major bicycle manufacturers now offer "relaxed" road bikes like you describe. Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot, Giant OCR, Bianchi C2C, etc.
Peek the Geek is offline  
Old 10-23-07, 03:48 PM
  #6  
InTheRain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,980

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've got a touring bike, and yeah, I like it. It's perfect for commuting, it comfortable... but it's not a "go fast" bike and it's not a real fun bike to climb with (it's heavy) when you're trying to keep up on a club ride. So, I've been looking for a comfortable bike, that still goes fast and climbs well. I've fallen in love with the Specialized Roubaix Pro... but it lists for $4100 and I can get it for $3300 on a year-end close out... but that's still pretty steep for me. The Roubaix Pro comes with Roval wheels... I don't know anything about this wheel set... is it just as strong as the Mavic Ksyrium Elite's that come on the Specialized Roubaix Comp with the SRAM Rival drive train?
InTheRain is offline  
Old 10-24-07, 07:27 AM
  #7  
steve91562
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyler View Post
If you can afford it, a nice custom built frame is a good option. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I have a herniated/ruptured disk and was running. I finally caved in and gave up running to return to cycling. I had a custom build Serotta built to accomodate my back. I have done some racing with it, but could also ride for hours on it. It fits well.

That's my $0.02
Too funny. I just stopped by a Serotta dealer and scheduled a bike fit. There's no obligations, but that mey be the route to go.
steve91562 is offline  
Old 10-24-07, 07:30 AM
  #8  
steve91562
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain View Post
I've got a touring bike, and yeah, I like it. It's perfect for commuting, it comfortable... but it's not a "go fast" bike and it's not a real fun bike to climb with (it's heavy) when you're trying to keep up on a club ride. So, I've been looking for a comfortable bike, that still goes fast and climbs well. I've fallen in love with the Specialized Roubaix Pro... but it lists for $4100 and I can get it for $3300 on a year-end close out... but that's still pretty steep for me. The Roubaix Pro comes with Roval wheels... I don't know anything about this wheel set... is it just as strong as the Mavic Ksyrium Elite's that come on the Specialized Roubaix Comp with the SRAM Rival drive train?
I just test drove a high end Roubaix and was really impressed. But they wanted to put me into a 54 cm, which is the frame size I use to race with all those years ago. I know this bike has a longer head tube, but I'm really reticent to opt for something so small. I'll see if I can find a 56 cm to ride.
steve91562 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.