Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fredosity is unbearable at times

Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Fredosity is unbearable at times

Old 01-02-08, 10:54 PM
  #1  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fredosity is unbearable at times

So I meet this guy today in a social setting. He's exactly my age (50), and he holds forth on how much he likes to ride and how much he rides. Turns out he belongs to the Orange Cty Bicycle Club and rides with the 'B' Group (when I ride with them I ride (or try to ride) with the AA group, the racing dudes). At any rate when I mention this, he launches into this rather astonishing rant about how the AA dudes aren't all that and how he doesn't like their 'tactics'. What tactics are those I ask?

I didn't get a straight answer, but I gathered that's the part where they ride too fast for him and it pisses him off (it pisses me when they shell me too, but I chalk it up to my pathetic riding, not their 'tactics'). Then I smiled and nodded at his enthusiastic tale of how he and a bunch of pals had completed a century at the impressive average speed of 19mph. After we parted I realized that the best part about racing on any level is that you aren't deluded in any way about how bad you suck at this sport. This individual certainly seemed to be. Whatever works for him of course.

And that for me is the ultimate definition of Fredosity: self-delusion combined with an inabilty to ride skillfully in a fast paceline. It's not about how fast you are so much as how clueless you are. Now back to your helmet mirrors, clipless pedal hand-wringing and anti-iPod rants, all of you.
patentcad is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:00 PM
  #2  
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,116

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
And that for me is the ultimate definition of Fredosity: self-delusion combined with an inabilty to ride skillfully in a fast paceline. It's not about how fast you are so much as how clueless you are. Now back to your helmet mirrors, clipless pedal hand-wringing and anti-iPod rants, all of you.
You forgot the MEC jackets (or equivalent) and Bell V-1 pros.

I still meet guys like that and I am amazed at how little I actually say. My internal dialogue is quite amusing but my outside voice is mostly, "Uh huh. Yeah. Oh. I know. Excuse me, my cell is ringing and i need to take this".
Bob Dopolina is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:02 PM
  #3  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dopolina, you are living proof that anything can be outsourced, even BF members.
patentcad is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:06 PM
  #4  
Coyote2
Senior Member
 
Coyote2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
So I meet this guy today in a social setting. He's exactly my age (50), and he holds forth on how much he likes to ride and how much he rides. Turns out he belongs to the Orange Cty Bicycle Club and rides with the 'B' Group (when I ride with them I ride (or try to ride) with the AA group, the racing dudes). At any rate when I mention this, he launches into this rather astonishing rant about how the AA dudes aren't all that and how he doesn't like their 'tactics'. What tactics are those I ask?

I didn't get a straight answer, but I gathered that's the part where they ride too fast for him and it pisses him off (it pisses me when they shell me too, but I chalk it up to my pathetic riding, not their 'tactics'). Then I smiled and nodded at his enthusiastic tale of how he and a bunch of pals had completed a century at the impressive average speed of 19mph. After we parted I realized that the best part about racing on any level is that you aren't deluded in any way about how bad you suck at this sport. This individual certainly seemed to be. Whatever works for him of course.

And that for me is the ultimate definition of Fredosity: self-delusion combined with an inabilty to ride skillfully in a fast paceline. It's not about how fast you are so much as how clueless you are. Now back to your helmet mirrors, clipless pedal hand-wringing and anti-iPod rants, all of you.

Yup. When I left my quiet little group ride and started racing, I found out very quickly that I am not very quick. But I sure don't resent those people who are faster than me.
Coyote2 is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:09 PM
  #5  
RT
The Weird Beard
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: COS
Posts: 8,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fellas, forgive my ignorance, but I've been watching Fred threads for a while and am still unclear on the defining factors. A search yielded the same threads I've been reading.

From this post, I think it might mean cyclists who think they're better than what they are. From TheFredCast.com, a Fred is defined as a high end cyclist who spends lots of time and money on the sport.

Can you please define, once and for all, a 'Fred?'

I'm serious, and thanks.
RT is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:16 PM
  #6  
Edonis13
Senior Member
 
Edonis13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,711

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
Can you please define, once and for all, a 'Fred?'
pcad

/thread
Edonis13 is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:18 PM
  #7  
PhilThee
Downhill Racer
 
PhilThee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 739

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB1, 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2007 Cannondale Caad9 Optimo2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was someone who had way more bike than bike skills.

If it is then aren't we all freds?

I'm sure as hell not going back to a 70's Stingray.
__________________
"I didn't see him/her" is a confession, not an excuse.
PhilThee is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:21 PM
  #8  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilThee View Post
I thought it was someone who had way more bike than bike skills.

If it is then aren't we all freds?

I'm sure as hell not going back to a 70's Stingray.
To a degree thats a fred but could be a poseur if he also talks the talk about being the fastest guy in the region and cant back it up.
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:22 PM
  #9  
RT
The Weird Beard
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: COS
Posts: 8,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and if there is an anti-Fred, what would the name be?
RT is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:22 PM
  #10  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,258

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
And that for me is the ultimate definition of Fredosity: self-delusion combined with an inabilty to ride skillfully in a fast paceline. It's not about how fast you are so much as how clueless you are.
From your story, how did you reach this conclusion? So he doesn't like to ride with the AA group. Doesn't mean that he has an "inability to ride skillfully in a fast paceline". Maybe he just doesn't relish the idea of being left gasping in a ditch somewhere. I mean if he's going to end up riding by himself why be subjected to the humiliation of doing it off the back of a pack?
__________________
Stuart Black
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:24 PM
  #11  
Unagidon
Senior Member
 
Unagidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 1,331

Bikes: 15 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Cervelo RS, 08 Surly Crosscheck, Mid-90's Python Mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Fred! I have way more bike than I need, but damn...I love it!
Unagidon is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:28 PM
  #12  
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer
 
recursive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,312

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He thinks it's because of their "tactics", not his own slowness. That's the cluelessness.

/full disclosure: I have yet to break a 5 hour century either
__________________
Bring the pain.
recursive is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:32 PM
  #13  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
Fellas, forgive my ignorance, but I've been watching Fred threads for a while and am still unclear on the defining factors. A search yielded the same threads I've been reading.

From this post, I think it might mean cyclists who think they're better than what they are. From TheFredCast.com, a Fred is defined as a high end cyclist who spends lots of time and money on the sport.

Can you please define, once and for all, a 'Fred?'

I'm serious, and thanks.

A Fred for the most part is either a new or long time rec/touring rider... By no means has there ever been a "high end" cycling Fred.

As I noted in my earlier post you also have poseurs. These guys are a slight step up from a Fred in that they usually have the latest and greatest cycling equipment. What seperates them from the non-poseur cyclist is having a clue. Poseurs think that if they are the fastest rider in their weekly group ride they are hot ****. When a faster cyclist shows up and puts the hurt on them theres always an excuse..... "my equipment is having an issue today"..... "youre not hurting me but are hurting the rest of the group".. and my favorite.... *after they spent all day huffing and puffing trying to keep up* "today is my easy day". They will never man up and just say that cyclist is faster. These are the guys that know it all even though they have been riding for only 3 months to a year.

At your next century ride try to pick out the Freds from the poseurs... Its easy to do. Freds acually make for good conversation IMHO as they really enjoy riding at the core.

Last edited by wfrogge; 01-02-08 at 11:57 PM.
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:33 PM
  #14  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
...and if there is an anti-Fred, what would the name be?
Levi
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:33 PM
  #15  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,258

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 104 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
From this post, I think it might mean cyclists who think they're better than what they are. From TheFredCast.com, a Fred is defined as a high end cyclist who spends lots of time and money on the sport.

Can you please define, once and for all, a 'Fred?'

I'm serious, and thanks.
A Fred is not necessarily a high end cyclist who spends lots of money and time on the sport. That more of a poseur then a Fred. A Fred...at least the way 'Fred' was traditionally used...is someone who isn't a racer. There's the Us - racers - and everyone else. A Fred doesn't really care what the racers think. They can be people who love bikes and spend lots of money on them. They can be people who get all of their bikes and parts out of dumpsters. They can be people who use their bikes for utility and transportation. Just about anyone who has toured...I mean real touring not the 'party on a bike' tours...can proudly call themselves Fred. When the guys in team jerseys, shaved legs and matching bikes blow past someone and calls them Fred, it's a badge that should be worn proudly.
__________________
Stuart Black
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:33 PM
  #16  
rufvelo
Senior Member
 
rufvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
...And that for me is the ultimate definition of Fredosity: self-delusion combined with an inabilty to ride skillfully in a fast paceline. It's not about how fast you are so much as how clueless you are. ..
just ..all a matter of perspective.
__________________
rufvelo is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:38 PM
  #17  
kill.cactus
500 Watts
 
kill.cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 833

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred ( la Fredcast podcast): someone who spends a lot on their equipment and is concerned with image
See "Euro Cyclist Chic"

Fred ( la this post): someone who deludes themselves with how good they are

Fred (general): someone who needs to work on their skills and less on their image

[edit]:
Hm... maybe I should have put poseur instead of fred
kill.cactus is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:46 PM
  #18  
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Springs, CO
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there seem to be two meaning in common usage among road cyclists for the word fred:

1. A fat dude with a helmet mirror and high-vis jacket that could do just fine replacing his rivendell with a bent

2. A non-racer (or really crappy racer) who has all the best gear (usually a weight weenie in protour kit he isn't being paid to wear) and is obsessed with image

I kind of like that we roadies have one word for two different groups of people, keeps the forums from reaching a dangerous level of sense-making.

Last edited by VosBike; 01-02-08 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling
VosBike is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:49 PM
  #19  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,266

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
A Fred is not necessarily a high end cyclist who spends lots of money and time on the sport. That more of a poseur then a Fred. A Fred...at least the way 'Fred' was traditionally used...is someone who isn't a racer. There's the Us - racers - and everyone else. A Fred doesn't really care what the racers think. They can be people who love bikes and spend lots of money on them. They can be people who get all of their bikes and parts out of dumpsters. They can be people who use their bikes for utility and transportation. Just about anyone who has toured...I mean real touring not the 'party on a bike' tours...can proudly call themselves Fred. When the guys in team jerseys, shaved legs and matching bikes blow past someone and calls them Fred, it's a badge that should be worn proudly.
It is way better when a Fred (and I wear that badge proudly) blows by some poseur with shaved legs, a team jersey and a high dollar bike.

I respect real roadies (and spent some years as a member of that club) but I have little time for folks who are into it it more for show than go, and would have you think they were actually as good as their kit suggests.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:59 PM
  #20  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
It is way better when a Fred (and I wear that badge proudly) blows by some poseur with shaved legs, a team jersey and a high dollar bike.

I respect real roadies (and spent some years as a member of that club) but I have little time for folks who are into it it more for show than go, and would have you think they were actually as good as their kit suggests.
Careful .. youre treading into poseur territory there.


A real Fred wouldnt give two sharts less about some guy on a high dollar bike he just passed. You never know... maybe that guy is just finishing up a 4 hour workout when you see him.. maybe today is a *legit* easy day.... maybe *gasp* he understands today is not race day and is content with letting you pass.

Or maybe hes a poseur.. just trying to give others food for thought.
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:10 AM
  #21  
caterham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd like to hear "fred" tell the same story.
imo, the OP sounds like he 's got his own issues.
caterham is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:11 AM
  #22  
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ipods still suck.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:18 AM
  #23  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caterham View Post
i'd like to hear "fred" tell the same story.
imo, the OP sounds like he 's got his own issues.
I agreee the OP does have issues.
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:34 AM
  #24  
H2Row
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't even been cycling for a month - and even years later I don't think I'll ever get to a level where I would think that I was better than everyone else. People like that irritate me. That is the point of this thread right? :-P
H2Row is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:36 AM
  #25  
rollin
Sua Ku
 
rollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hot as hell, Singapore
Posts: 5,705

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all know the OP has issues - no news there.

All these years I thought I was slow when actually it was those damn "tactics"


What I really love about real Freds (however you define them) is that they can look into their helmet mirror or the shine of their full carbon uber-bike and not see a Fred staring back. True Fredocity is about total lack of self awareness.

... OMG, I think I'm a Fred!
rollin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.