Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Attn: Fascinating Cyclists (and those who know of them) in Portland, SF and NYC

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Attn: Fascinating Cyclists (and those who know of them) in Portland, SF and NYC

Old 03-11-08, 10:58 AM
  #1  
greysidewalk
ok
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attn: Fascinating Cyclists (and those who know of them) in Portland, SF and NYC

I work for a company that covers art, design, culture and anything else, and we're looking to do a series of a few films on bike culture in PORTLAND, SF, NYC (and maybe LONDON). What we're really looking for are the real big, definitive forces (people and events) in each city. We have some ideas, but could use some of your brainstorming as well.

NYC: I think we're going to talk about the history of Fixed Gear. We might try to visit Old Skool Track in central park (https://www.oldskooltrack.com) and try to see some Bike Polo. Any ideas other people/things we could show?

San Francisco: Try to talk to someone from Zo Bags about creation of the messenger bag. Go to SF Bike Coalition. Go to a Critical Mass, talk to Robin
Williams

Portland: Talk to about the Government/infastructure and their stance on cycling. Film a bike production operation like Vanilla Bicycles.

That's a rough start, but any ideas would be awesome!
Thanks!
greysidewalk is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:00 AM
  #2  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by greysidewalk
I work for a company that covers art, design, culture and anything else, and we're looking to do a series of a few films on bike culture in PORTLAND, SF, NYC (and maybe LONDON). What we're really looking for are the real big, definitive forces (people and events) in each city. We have some ideas, but could use some of your brainstorming as well.

NYC: I think we're going to talk about the history of Fixed Gear. We might try to visit Old Skool Track in central park (https://www.oldskooltrack.com) and try to see some Bike Polo. Any ideas other people/things we could show?

San Francisco: Try to talk to someone from Zo Bags about creation of the messenger bag. Go to SF Bike Coalition. Go to a Critical Mass, talk to Robin
Williams

Portland: Talk to about the Government/infastructure and their stance on cycling. Film a bike production operation like Vanilla Bicycles.

That's a rough start, but
any ideas would be awesome!
Thanks!
not an idea, but a suggestion:

try something a little less obvious than tapping into the FG fad.
botto is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:06 AM
  #3  
greysidewalk
ok
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was thinking that too, but the audience won't necessarily be that informed about cycling, so it might be news to some of them.
greysidewalk is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:50 AM
  #4  
Dr.Deltron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
GSW, don't forget recumbents & human powered vehicles!

I'm 100 miles South of SF and have several on hand. I was also the featured recumbent rider in the PG&E/SF "Let's green this city" campaign.

Let me know if I can be of any help out this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
all5nMe.jpg (98.2 KB, 21 views)
 
Old 03-11-08, 12:01 PM
  #5  
jcbenten
Just call me Chris
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 442

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greysidewalk
i was thinking that too, but the audience won't necessarily be that informed about cycling, so it might be news to some of them.
If they are not that informed, how will they what they are missing?

FGs are not only in NYC. I would think it is national phenomenon, particularly on campuses. At UT-Austin FGs are all over the place.
jcbenten is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 12:05 PM
  #6  
6thElement
It's carbon dontcha know.
 
6thElement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Between the Hudson and East
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not road cycling but you could contact Jamie Bogner from NYCMTB, https://www.nycmtb.com/press.html
6thElement is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 12:07 PM
  #7  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jcbenten
If they are not that informed, how will they what they are missing?

FGs are not only in NYC. I would think it is national phenomenon, particularly on campuses. At UT-Austin FGs are all over the place.
NYC is where it started, the rest of the country took 20+ years to catch up.
botto is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 01:08 PM
  #8  
cohophysh
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,199

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
talk to Donnamb on this site, she is big in the portland biking scene
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 01:19 PM
  #9  
akaio
Senior Member
 
akaio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC!
Posts: 382

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik (2007) & Bridgestone RB-2 (1994).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Portland talk to the Zoo Bombers for culture, talk to Jonathan Maus of bikeportland.org for an overview and infrastructure, and talk to some bike builders (you mentioned Vanilla, but there are many more great builders here like Ira Ryan and Tony Pereira).
akaio is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 01:26 PM
  #10  
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 1,353

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about something like Critical Mass? It's bike, counter-culture, and pretty controvercial.
Chris_F is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 01:30 PM
  #11  
Edonis13
Senior Member
 
Edonis13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,711

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think you were aiming for the single speed and fixed gear forum and missed.
Edonis13 is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 04:22 PM
  #12  
sverrefehn
Senior Member
 
sverrefehn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 496

Bikes: Bianchi FG Lite, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another angle for Portland would be cyclocross as it's absolutely huge there.
sverrefehn is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 04:46 PM
  #13  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Nobody has mentioned road racing. It is a pretty big part of cycling culture in each of the cities mentioned. You could cover the CP/PP weekly races in NYC. Maybe interveiw obra3 - he is now the OBRA executive director.

As an aside - the recent FG trend (or is it a fad?) started in NYC, but fixed gear cycling goes way further back than the recent popularity. I believe road racers were training in the off season on fixies before they were the messenger's bike of choice. And of course it goes back to track racing, and all of road racing in the early part of the 20th century.
cmh is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:04 PM
  #14  
obra3
Little Pony
 
obra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bikeportland.org/2008/02/08/w...s-of-portland/

Teams you should talk to include: Team Beer, Gentle Lovers, Ironclad, Super Relax, S&M, Vanilla.

Great guy to talk to is Erik Tonkin, Sellwood Cycles. Also must talk to Scott Ricker at BTA- should be able to get into talk to Sam Adams too.

Another topic- Cyclocross in Oregon- big following. Guy to talk to is Brad Ross.
obra3 is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:05 PM
  #15  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
not an idea, but a suggestion:

try something a little less obvious than tapping into the FG fad.
It's a 'fad' now? Damn. I'm 10 years too late. I sold my beat fixed gear a few month ago.

F fixies. Rode mine for a long time. Didn't do much for me. But then I am beyond all hope, so don't let that be your guide.
patentcad is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:26 PM
  #16  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greysidewalk
i was thinking that too, but the audience won't necessarily be that informed about cycling, so it might be news to some of them.
The history of Fixed Gear, along with several other fixed gear articles have already been featured in the New York Times, Maxim, and countless other mainstream publications. It's old news. Check all of the big name bicycle company's websites, and you'll see they all offer fixed gear bicycles. Specialized even offers their fixed gear bicycle in limited edition "City Tribute" models, not unlike the "U-2 limited edition" IPods.

Fixed gear riding is already a mainstream activity, which means it will soon be uncool. You missed the fixed gear culture exploitation train. Word on the street is that 1980's BMX bikes or vintage Italian road bikes are quickly becoming the new track bike. I've already seen a few recent college grads sitting on them outside Starbucks, while wearing their sister's jeans. Perhaps you can look into that.
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:31 PM
  #17  
KRhea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 571

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As for Portland: PLEASE do not do another thing about Vanilla, it's overdone, getting more overdone everyday and there are quite a few builders here in PDX whose builds are just as good and unique but without the exposure. Vanilla, everyone's "been there and done that...to death".

ZooBombers, Tall Bike Circus, Cyclocross, OBRA, PortlandVelo, did I mention cross, cool shops like Cyclepath "custom bike love", bikeportland.org, Jonathan Maus, the city's view on cycling/cyclists and on and on, oh yeah...don't forget the Cross Crusade.

KRhea
KRhea is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:35 PM
  #18  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Nobody has mentioned road racing. It is a pretty big part of cycling culture in each of the cities mentioned. You could cover the CP/PP weekly races in NYC. Maybe interveiw obra3 - he is now the OBRA executive director.

As an aside - the recent FG trend (or is it a fad?) started in NYC, but fixed gear cycling goes way further back than the recent popularity. I believe road racers were training in the off season on fixies before they were the messenger's bike of choice. And of course it goes back to track racing, and all of road racing in the early part of the 20th century.

In the early part of the 20th century, track bicycle (fixed of course) racing was a more popular spectator sport than baseball. In fact, one of the primary reasons for building Madison Square Garden in NYC was to provide an arena for track bicycle races. Ever wonder where the old Schwinn Madison track bikes got their name?
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 05:37 PM
  #19  
otismedina
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLACK BIKE
In the early part of the 20th century, track bicycle (fixed of course) racing was a more popular spectator sport than baseball. In fact, one of the primary reasons for building Madison Square Garden in NYC was to provide an arena for track bicycle races. Ever wonder where the old Schwinn Madison track bikes got their name?
Very interesting stuff.
otismedina is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 12:15 PM
  #20  
DitmarsNY
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about pedicabs in NYC as well? Over the past several years they have exploded in the city, primarily central park
DitmarsNY is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 12:58 PM
  #21  
dannyg1 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bikeworksnyc.com is a central influence within the 'culture' of NYC cycling and the man that runs it is an incredibly knowledgeable guy. If I were taking the pulse of NYC's direction no, that's where I'd start The CR list is also an invaluable resource for NYC cycling but it's a bit more difficult to sort through in that regard.

One of the things you might like to look at and document is this thing that's going on amongst the Latino delivery guys. They're taking mountainframes (mostly fat tubed Alu) and decking them out with a mix of high end road and mtb stuff that's very original and the adaptation of the road stuff is not so easy (I've actually built two variants of these. Mine are a quite a bit more focussed on the ecclectic nature of the frames I centered the bikes around, but I'm sure that others will see them as part of the cultural trend. I built both at the outset of this, taking what I saw as an interesting thing going on and trying to build a 'finest example' kind of bike as a 'proof of concept') . They're becoming much more expert at it and I'm fairy certain that the head mechanic at Larry/Jeff's 79th/3rd avenue is the mastermind of the trend.

Danny

Last edited by dannyg1; 03-12-08 at 01:06 PM.
dannyg1 is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 02:02 PM
  #22  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
Bikeworksnyc.com is a central influence within the 'culture' of NYC cycling and the man that runs it is an incredibly knowledgeable guy. If I were taking the pulse of NYC's direction no, that's where I'd start The CR list is also an invaluable resource for NYC cycling but it's a bit more difficult to sort through in that regard.

One of the things you might like to look at and document is this thing that's going on amongst the Latino delivery guys. They're taking mountainframes (mostly fat tubed Alu) and decking them out with a mix of high end road and mtb stuff that's very original and the adaptation of the road stuff is not so easy (I've actually built two variants of these. Mine are a quite a bit more focussed on the ecclectic nature of the frames I centered the bikes around, but I'm sure that others will see them as part of the cultural trend. I built both at the outset of this, taking what I saw as an interesting thing going on and trying to build a 'finest example' kind of bike as a 'proof of concept') . They're becoming much more expert at it and I'm fairy certain that the head mechanic at Larry/Jeff's 79th/3rd avenue is the mastermind of the trend.

Danny
That sounds interesting, Danny. Do you have any pics of your bikes? I'd love to see them!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 03:57 PM
  #23  
dannyg1 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACK BIKE
That sounds interesting, Danny. Do you have any pics of your bikes? I'd love to see them!
I built both bikes for friends and they were delivered before I got a chance for pics, with the promise that I'd get photos back quickly from the owners. My friends though, are self involved bartender types who don't feel the need to follow through on their promises (aka Rat *******s, one and all).

I'm in the process of building one that's going to pay homage in a much louder fashion and, considering what it is that I'm honoring, this one 'll be the one you'll want to see anyway. Maybe I'll go take a few photos of some of the prime examples in the neighborhood and post those for you later tonight.

Danny
dannyg1 is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 05:43 PM
  #24  
obra3
Little Pony
 
obra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also forgot- get in touch with Dan Kaufman from Crankmychain
obra3 is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 03:52 PM
  #25  
greysidewalk
ok
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone! lots of food for thought
greysidewalk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.