Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rival vs Force Calipers. Crappier or heavier?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rival vs Force Calipers. Crappier or heavier?

Old 04-21-08, 06:26 PM
  #1  
Youngin
ub3r n00b
Thread Starter
 
Youngin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,368

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rival vs Force Calipers. Crappier or heavier?

I tried out some SRAM over the weekend and my mind was blown. I like the double tap but properly adjusted Shimano is still nice for me. But with the advantages I might make the leap if I get a job this summer. I really liked the calipers of both, the force stuff especially felt nice, but I also read force and rival are pretty much the same. Either one is probably lighter than what I have now so I wondering about functionality. I heard rival and force were the exact same except for different materials and weights.

Will the performance of rival be on par with force?
Is rival the same with different weights?
How does the throw compare and is it possible to shift really quickly with rival?

Thanks all!

Youngin
Youngin is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 06:31 PM
  #2  
michaelmc
5
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Killadelphia
Posts: 1,229

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Force and Rival are functionally identical. The only difference is in material, and hence weight.
michaelmc is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 06:59 PM
  #3  
CaseLawZ28
In-House Counsel
 
CaseLawZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 266

Bikes: BMC SLC 01, Look 585, Gary Fisher SuperFly, Cannondale Caad 9X, BMC TT03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and weight is negligible - even for the whole gruppo, never mind one piece.
CaseLawZ28 is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 07:10 PM
  #4  
Apus^2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Looking for my right leg muscles.
Posts: 1,202

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to SRAM, Force RD can take a 28T cassette and Rival a 27T. Not much difference.
Apus^2 is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 07:15 PM
  #5  
geraldatwork
Senior Member
 
geraldatwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 767

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whichever one you get make sure you get the 2008 updated version which should be available I believe around June. When they came out with Red last year they made some mechanical improvements which filtered down to the Rival and Force groups for 2008. That said I would go for the Rival group. Lighter than Ultegra and the 2008 version has carbon brake levers.

I have been riding the Rival group for about 9 months and I like it. I might just update the brifters (I hate that word) and the whole setup I believe should work like the 2008 group mechanically. Though I am not 100% sure of this.
geraldatwork is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 07:55 PM
  #6  
Bikelyst
That's what she said
 
Bikelyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 477

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, Bianchi Via Nirone '07, Fuji Ace '05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork View Post
Whichever one you get make sure you get the 2008 updated version which should be available I believe around June. When they came out with Red last year they made some mechanical improvements which filtered down to the Rival and Force groups for 2008. That said I would go for the Rival group. Lighter than Ultegra and the 2008 version has carbon brake levers.

I have been riding the Rival group for about 9 months and I like it. I might just update the brifters (I hate that word) and the whole setup I believe should work like the 2008 group mechanically. Though I am not 100% sure of this.
+1...as far as I know Rival will be the same price as last year with carbon levers, and big ring trim etc.
Bikelyst is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 07:57 PM
  #7  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
what's wrong with your shimano?
botto is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 07:59 PM
  #8  
Bikelyst
That's what she said
 
Bikelyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 477

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, Bianchi Via Nirone '07, Fuji Ace '05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Good point.
Bikelyst is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 08:05 PM
  #9  
Youngin
ub3r n00b
Thread Starter
 
Youngin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,368

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shimano is ok, but the brakes are some Cane Creek stock ones I think. It feels like they're made out of dead fish when I brake. The rival calipers were really crisp and confident. The stock Triple 105 derailleur is awful too even after it was adjusted. No one makes a 130 bcd 45T chainring either. Got one from salsa that is wrecking havoc on my shifting.

In short, its not the shimano, its the cheap stock. Unless 105 is better than the crisp rival calipers, I've still got my goal set.
Youngin is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 08:24 PM
  #10  
michaelmc
5
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Killadelphia
Posts: 1,229

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the brakes at least, try swapping out the pads to some KoolStop or SwissStop. It'll make a very big difference.
michaelmc is offline  
Old 04-21-08, 09:27 PM
  #11  
Youngin
ub3r n00b
Thread Starter
 
Youngin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,368

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmc View Post
For the brakes at least, try swapping out the pads to some KoolStop or SwissStop. It'll make a very big difference.
Yup and it did. Still, the calipers are much different from my experience. I like good brakes.
Youngin is offline  
Old 04-22-08, 09:40 AM
  #12  
geraldatwork
Senior Member
 
geraldatwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 767

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you can see from my bike list below, I have Rival on the Bianchi and Ultegra on the Windsor. They are both very good, although different. If I had to pick I guess I would favor the Ultegra by the slightest margin. Again I am happy with both. With the improvement with the 2008 SRAM groups I would probably favor Rival again very close. The only thing I'm not thrilled with in the Rival is the throw to get into a larger ring is too long. Since that has been improved I am considering just getting the new Rival brifters (hate that work)
geraldatwork is offline  
Old 04-22-08, 12:42 PM
  #13  
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,931

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Youngin View Post
The Shimano is ok, but the brakes are some Cane Creek stock ones I think. It feels like they're made out of dead fish when I brake. The rival calipers were really crisp and confident. The stock Triple 105 derailleur is awful too even after it was adjusted. No one makes a 130 bcd 45T chainring either. Got one from salsa that is wrecking havoc on my shifting.

In short, its not the shimano, its the cheap stock. Unless 105 is better than the crisp rival calipers, I've still got my goal set.
Solution here is a double or compact -- doesn't matter who makes it (much)
kudude is offline  
Old 04-22-08, 12:59 PM
  #14  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Cane Creeks are frequently single action lever mech and a lot of people don't like 'em.

I hated my Sram brakes. There was either no braking or total lock up - nothing in between. I like modulation. I ride Zero G's right now - a lot of people don't like 'em because it is harder to lock the brakes up, but trust me, I can still grab a fistfull of brake and go over the handlebars.

For a budget option the higher end Tektros work great - esp. if you change out the stock pads.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 04-22-08, 01:15 PM
  #15  
felt1
Idiot
 
felt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Corona, ca
Posts: 753

Bikes: Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At interbike Srams new rival group was shown to have all the advantages of the force group with some of Reds group modifications(trim). Think Force could be fazed out next year?
felt1 is offline  
Old 04-23-08, 03:27 AM
  #16  
geraldatwork
Senior Member
 
geraldatwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 767

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
The Cane Creeks are frequently single action lever mech and a lot of people don't like 'em.

I hated my Sram brakes. There was either no braking or total lock up - nothing in between. I like modulation. I ride Zero G's right now - a lot of people don't like 'em because it is harder to lock the brakes up, but trust me, I can still grab a fistfull of brake and go over the handlebars.

For a budget option the higher end Tektros work great - esp. if you change out the stock pads.
I don't know if your brakes were adjusted properly or it is something to do with the rim but I find the Rival brakes work very similarly to my Ultegra on the other bike. Also I really haven't heard much about problems with the brakes from other people other than there was a recall on the Force mounting screws early on.
geraldatwork is offline  
Old 04-23-08, 03:46 AM
  #17  
Pablo.
...
 
Pablo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nyc
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently switched my brakes from those nameless (probably Tektero) ones, and put on Rival brakes. It definitely makes a noticeable, and considerable difference. I have much more control of my bike when I need to go down steep hills slowly, which was a big problem with the old brakes.

Definatly a worth while upgrade.
Pablo. is offline  
Old 04-23-08, 05:35 AM
  #18  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork View Post
I don't know if your brakes were adjusted properly or it is something to do with the rim but I find the Rival brakes work very similarly to my Ultegra on the other bike. Also I really haven't heard much about problems with the brakes from other people other than there was a recall on the Force mounting screws early on.
I'm an ok wrench. I tried every trick in the book to get 'em to be less grabby. Toed in the pads pretty good at one point, which helped, but I never could get 'em to be ok. Not sure what was up with them.
ravenmore is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.