Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Old 10-09-11, 12:32 AM
  #4201  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeerith
My first road bike. Trek 2.1 Apex.

The picture makes it look black and gold, but it is black and silver. Anyone know how I can fix this. I am dumb in the ways of photography.


There should be a setting on your camera for taking pictures indoors (it compensates for the color difference between natural and artificial light).

or...

In Photoshop: Image > Adjustments > Auto Color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3183_2.jpg (93.2 KB, 74 views)
s-words is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 02:20 AM
  #4202  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, it belongs to my fiancé and has way to many buttons on it.
Thanks, I am going to fiddle with it and if I can't get it to work I will make her do it.

I love electronics though cameras have to many abbreviations for words I don't know.
zeerith is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 09:53 AM
  #4203  
Senior Member
 
monkeydentity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 290

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I'd ride the hell out of that in the winter. Looks like a somewhat ideal bike for that purpose. Nice drop bar conversion!
thanks! i'm new enough to all this that i don't know what makes a winter bike, but i realize it's not a racer. When i'm fit enough (and have the dough) i'll get a little race bike and maybe keep this as an all-terrain rec/training bike. that might be a year or 5 away though.
monkeydentity is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 06:55 PM
  #4204  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 188

Bikes: A2b Metro, Eneloop, Alley Way, Haul 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Coming soon........
coolmingli is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 07:29 PM
  #4205  
Senior Member
 
runningDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Liked 42 Times in 16 Posts
use a spare aluminum seatpost as your clamping point when working with the bike stand! Even if you are careful and don't put any weight on it you might slip (or bump into it accidentally) and have something snag on the bike and damage the carbon on that beautiful frame!

also the top tube is actually irregularly shaped (compared to round and straight) so scary for it to be clamped down.



Originally Posted by coolmingli


Coming soon........
runningDoc is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 07:31 PM
  #4206  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 188

Bikes: A2b Metro, Eneloop, Alley Way, Haul 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
use a spare aluminum seatpost as your clamping point when working with the bike stand! Even if you are careful and don't put any weight on it you might slip (or bump into it accidentally) and have something snag on the bike and damage the carbon on that beautiful frame!

also the top tube is actually irregularly shaped (compared to round and straight) so scary for it to be clamped down.
Thanks very much for the tip, always learning.
coolmingli is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 07:41 PM
  #4207  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 188

Bikes: A2b Metro, Eneloop, Alley Way, Haul 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeydentity


just noticed there's a reflector missing on the rear wheel! Maybe I lost it on the NYCentury? Weird.

maybe not HOT...but maybe warm??
Very nice, I am thinking about convert my Bay Boy to drop, then add a Brooks Swallow.
coolmingli is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 08:08 PM
  #4208  
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,793
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
My 2010 Bianchi Infinito...now with Campy Record

A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of my 2012 Bianchi Infinito in this thread. My intent was not really to have it judged as ho or not, but rather, I posted in response to a message commenting on the lack of Bianchi pictures on the thread.

Soon as I posted, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among some of the BF cognoscenti who bemoaned the presence of an Ultegra gruppo on an Italian bike.

Well, not being one to disappoint, I took those comments to heart and I decided that indeed my ride deserves the best there is. So, I marched to my LBS, ordered a full Campy Record gruppo and voila, here she is, in full Campy regalia. (I put Record, instead of Super Record only because I plan to use the money I saved by getting Record instead of SR to get new wheels. The difference between REcord and SR is not significant enough to justify the extra liras or euros.)

I am so very glad that some of you brought to my attention that a Bianchi must have Campy hanging on it. I have just about 300 miles on the bike since I got the Campy components and I must say the ride is soooooooooo much sweeter now. The cranks turn creamy smooth on the ceramic bearing, the shifts are crisp and precise, the drivetrain is very quiet, I have an extra speed to play around with and, as a bonus, the bike is now just a hair over 16 pounds (with pedals and bottle cages). Previously, it weighed in at 17.12 pounds.

So to those who bemoaned the sight of Shimano components on a Bianchi all I can say is:

Mille grazie amici!

BTW, my Bianchi may or may not be hot after these few changes. It does not really matter. What matters though is that my Bianchi is una dolce bicicletta italiana – I love riding her!

Here are a few pics:









eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-09-11, 08:12 PM
  #4209  
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,793
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by coolmingli


Coming soon........
That is a beautiful frame. My friend has an FP Quattro and it is a beautiful bike to look at. I love the curved (Onda) fork blades.

I too also suggest that you do not clamp the bike by the top tube. Carbon is strong but...why take a chance on such a pretty frame.

Congrats man...
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 12:18 AM
  #4210  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 446
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of my 2012 Bianchi Infinito in this thread. My intent was not really to have it judged as ho or not, but rather, I posted in response to a message commenting on the lack of Bianchi pictures on the thread.

Soon as I posted, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among some of the BF cognoscenti who bemoaned the presence of an Ultegra gruppo on an Italian bike.

Well, not being one to disappoint, I took those comments to heart and I decided that indeed my ride deserves the best there is. So, I marched to my LBS, ordered a full Campy Record gruppo and voila, here she is, in full Campy regalia. (I put Record, instead of Super Record only because I plan to use the money I saved by getting Record instead of SR to get new wheels. The difference between REcord and SR is not significant enough to justify the extra liras or euros.)

I am so very glad that some of you brought to my attention that a Bianchi must have Campy hanging on it. I have just about 300 miles on the bike since I got the Campy components and I must say the ride is soooooooooo much sweeter now. The cranks turn creamy smooth on the ceramic bearing, the shifts are crisp and precise, the drivetrain is very quiet, I have an extra speed to play around with and, as a bonus, the bike is now just a hair over 16 pounds (with pedals and bottle cages). Previously, it weighed in at 17.12 pounds.

So to those who bemoaned the sight of Shimano components on a Bianchi all I can say is:

Mille grazie amici!

BTW, my Bianchi may or may not be hot after these few changes. It does not really matter. What matters though is that my Bianchi is una dolce bicicletta italiana – I love riding her!

Here are a few pics:[snip]
Wow, talk about taking BF advice to heart!

I'm torn on Ultegra... I love the design style of it by itself, but I do tend to agree, it seems to look 'off' when actually matched up with a bike. I'm also torn on Campy: I don't love it as much astetically (Never ridden it) as much as other people do. It doesn't really stand out at all to me.

Having said all that: The Bianchi looks amazing with it on, awesome bike. How to the brakes open up? I don't see any lever.

Looks pretty much awesome, good stuff.
JustinHorne is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 12:26 AM
  #4211  
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,793
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHorne
Wow, talk about taking BF advice to heart!

I'm torn on Ultegra... I love the design style of it by itself, but I do tend to agree, it seems to look 'off' when actually matched up with a bike. I'm also torn on Campy: I don't love it as much astetically (Never ridden it) as much as other people do. It doesn't really stand out at all to me.

Having said all that: The Bianchi looks amazing with it on, awesome bike. How to the brakes open up? I don't see any lever.

Looks pretty much awesome, good stuff.
I have Campy on my old Bottecchia bike (1989) and it has been working flawlessly since then.

There is a button on the brake levers that when you push it, it opens the brake. Same system that they have been using since way back when.

I have had bikes with DuraAce, Ultegra and campy. Of all systems, I am happiest with Campy. You should give it serious consideration.

And thank you for the comments.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 09:36 AM
  #4212  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coolmingli


Coming soon........
Not - c'mon can't post an unfinished bike.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 09:40 AM
  #4213  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of my 2012 Bianchi Infinito in this thread. My intent was not really to have it judged as ho or not, but rather, I posted in response to a message commenting on the lack of Bianchi pictures on the thread.

Soon as I posted, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among some of the BF cognoscenti who bemoaned the presence of an Ultegra gruppo on an Italian bike.

Well, not being one to disappoint, I took those comments to heart and I decided that indeed my ride deserves the best there is. So, I marched to my LBS, ordered a full Campy Record gruppo and voila, here she is, in full Campy regalia. (I put Record, instead of Super Record only because I plan to use the money I saved by getting Record instead of SR to get new wheels. The difference between REcord and SR is not significant enough to justify the extra liras or euros.)

I am so very glad that some of you brought to my attention that a Bianchi must have Campy hanging on it. I have just about 300 miles on the bike since I got the Campy components and I must say the ride is soooooooooo much sweeter now. The cranks turn creamy smooth on the ceramic bearing, the shifts are crisp and precise, the drivetrain is very quiet, I have an extra speed to play around with and, as a bonus, the bike is now just a hair over 16 pounds (with pedals and bottle cages). Previously, it weighed in at 17.12 pounds.

So to those who bemoaned the sight of Shimano components on a Bianchi all I can say is:

Mille grazie amici!

BTW, my Bianchi may or may not be hot after these few changes. It does not really matter. What matters though is that my Bianchi is una dolce bicicletta italiana – I love riding her!

Here are a few pics:

I think people gave you a little grief because it was an off the rack bike and looked a little generic. The upgrades look nice and definitely give it more appeal. I actually prefer Shimano to Campy though because the parts are more readily available and cheaper locally if you need something in a hurry. I ran Campy a while back and got frustrated by that several times.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 09:54 AM
  #4214  
John Wayne Toilet Paper
 
nhluhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of my 2012 Bianchi Infinito in this thread. My intent was not really to have it judged as ho or not, but rather, I posted in response to a message commenting on the lack of Bianchi pictures on the thread.

Soon as I posted, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among some of the BF cognoscenti who bemoaned the presence of an Ultegra gruppo on an Italian bike.

Well, not being one to disappoint, I took those comments to heart and I decided that indeed my ride deserves the best there is. So, I marched to my LBS, ordered a full Campy Record gruppo and voila, here she is, in full Campy regalia. (I put Record, instead of Super Record only because I plan to use the money I saved by getting Record instead of SR to get new wheels. The difference between REcord and SR is not significant enough to justify the extra liras or euros.)

I am so very glad that some of you brought to my attention that a Bianchi must have Campy hanging on it. I have just about 300 miles on the bike since I got the Campy components and I must say the ride is soooooooooo much sweeter now. The cranks turn creamy smooth on the ceramic bearing, the shifts are crisp and precise, the drivetrain is very quiet, I have an extra speed to play around with and, as a bonus, the bike is now just a hair over 16 pounds (with pedals and bottle cages). Previously, it weighed in at 17.12 pounds.

So to those who bemoaned the sight of Shimano components on a Bianchi all I can say is:

Mille grazie amici!

BTW, my Bianchi may or may not be hot after these few changes. It does not really matter. What matters though is that my Bianchi is una dolce bicicletta italiana – I love riding her!

Here are a few pics:

It's beautiful. What wheels do you intend to go with?
nhluhr is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:11 AM
  #4215  
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,809

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
When the time comes, go with white cable housings and shorten the rear brake housing by about an inch. Make it a smooth arc to flow with the lines of the frame, not a hoop. A white Lezyne would look hot too, but they have been backordered for a long, long time now.

Last edited by volosong; 10-10-11 at 10:14 AM.
volosong is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:12 AM
  #4216  
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,809

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by coolmingli
So jealous! "Hot" is not a strong enough word. Which frame is that?
volosong is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:13 AM
  #4217  
John Wayne Toilet Paper
 
nhluhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
When the time comes, go with white cable housings and shorten the rear brake housing by about an inch. Make is a smooth arc, not a hoop. A white Lezyne would look hot too, but they have been backordered for a long, long time now.
making that rear housing shorter is not just aesthetic but will also make it feel smoother and more direct thanks to reduced friction and compressibility. As for colored housing.... meh. There's enough white on that bike as it is.
nhluhr is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:19 AM
  #4218  
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,809

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
volosong is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:29 AM
  #4219  
shedding fat
 
dgasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,149

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Very nice, but far from HOT in my personal opinion. Must ask though, what the heck are those 2 little clamps for above and below the stem? Can't say I've seen those before nor can I think of the need for them.
__________________
Arguing with ignorant people is an exercise in futility. They will bring you down to their level and once there they will beat you with their overwhelming experience.
dgasmd is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:38 AM
  #4220  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 410
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's how the stem is clamped onto the steerer tube. not sure of the explanation for why, but thats what they're there for.
3kmi is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:40 AM
  #4221  
John Wayne Toilet Paper
 
nhluhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Very nice, but far from HOT in my personal opinion. Must ask though, what the heck are those 2 little clamps for above and below the stem? Can't say I've seen those before nor can I think of the need for them.
that's the stem
nhluhr is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 10:44 AM
  #4222  
shedding fat
 
dgasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,149

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nhluhr
that's the stem
I get it. It is an integral part of the stem. Have never seen that type before. From the pictures it looks like a plastic collar used as a spacer.
__________________
Arguing with ignorant people is an exercise in futility. They will bring you down to their level and once there they will beat you with their overwhelming experience.
dgasmd is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 12:22 PM
  #4223  
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,942
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
There's enough white on that bike as it is.
Yes.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 01:17 PM
  #4224  
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,793
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Very nice, but far from HOT in my personal opinion. Must ask though, what the heck are those 2 little clamps for above and below the stem? Can't say I've seen those before nor can I think of the need for them.
Those, as others have mentioned, are the bolts that secure he stem to the steerer tube.

The DEDA stem "hides" the mounting clamps. All the other stems I have seen have the stem bolts placed at the back.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-10-11, 01:24 PM
  #4225  
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,793
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
When the time comes, go with white cable housings and shorten the rear brake housing by about an inch. Make it a smooth arc to flow with the lines of the frame, not a hoop. A white Lezyne would look hot too, but they have been backordered for a long, long time now.
I thought about going with the white cable housing when I switched to Campy. But I wanted the housing to flow along with the black on the frame. It orignally came equipped with white cable housing. I may go back to them eventually.

I have seen pics of the white Lezyne pump and I want one!

Thanks!
eja_ bottecchia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.