Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Hot r Not (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/452315-hot-r-not.html)

thirdgenbird 12-31-13 06:20 AM


Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 16369441)
The BMC doesn't make as much sense. It's a GF/endurance geometry frame with increased HT and decreased TT. To pair that with a long, negative angle stem just doesn't seem right. You could achieve the same position with a more customary race geometry (slightly lower HT, longer TT) and more moderate stem.

Anyhow, that's just my take on it. I like both bikes. Harun's would land in my category of "sorted" and "purposeful", but, not hot. Well, not without a front lit shot at least. The BMC I like and previous to building my rediculous proportional crank frame I considered their GF frames as a possible next bike. But, it's hard for a GF/endurance frame to garner a "Hot" designation.

It probably makes just as much sense:
-Regardless of the stem, the bike has very little bar drop.
-while a race fram could be set up with the same contact points, it may not handle or ride the same
-just because it's an endurance bike, it doesn't call for an upright position
-fit advice (including mine) on a riderless picture is useless

tjk23 12-31-13 07:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. I knew a endurance geometry frame would not bode very well here. I bought the frame because I like the look of it. The stem is a 130/-10. My last bike with the stem slammed had about 2cm more drop, I breathe a lot better on this one.

K1196A 12-31-13 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by tjk23 (Post 16369709)
Thanks for the responses. I knew a endurance geometry frame would not bode very well here. I bought the frame because I like the look of it. The stem is a 130/-10. My last bike with the stem slammed had about 2cm more drop, I breathe a lot better on this one.

I like the BMC, but wouldn't call it "hot" - nice, but no "wow factor."

robbyville 12-31-13 07:41 AM

I like the BMC in its own weird way as well albeit not hot. I didn't realize that they had bent the seat stays so much by the seat tube. It's very cool looking IMO

kcollier5 12-31-13 10:13 AM

Ok, this is sort of a noob question. (And probably another divergent from Hot r Not, sorry) It looks like his saddle is pushed mostly forward as well as having a 130mm stem? Wouldn't it work to have a shorter stem (would look more in proportion to the bike) and push the seat back? Or would this change his leg position relative to the cranks and reduce power or something? I'm just asking for something of an explanation from one of you that knows this stuff.

As to the bike, it's not what I would call hot, per se, but a very nice bike indeed.

thirdgenbird 12-31-13 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by kcollier5 (Post 16370065)
Ok, this is sort of a noob question. (And probably another divergent from Hot r Not, sorry) It looks like his saddle is pushed mostly forward as well as having a … 130mm stem? Wouldn't it work to have a shorter stem (would look more in proportion to the bike) and push the seat back? Or would this change his leg position relative to the cranks and reduce power or something? I'm just asking for something of an explanation from one of you that knows this stuff.

As to the bike, it's not what I would call hot, per se, but a very nice bike indeed.

Saddle setback shouldn't be used to change reach. Saddle setback should be set relative to the riders legs and then a stem selected from there.

i wouldn't call the saddle mostly forward either. It is a little forward on a setback post. It looks well within standard adjustment ranges. Seat rails are exactly that (rails) so you don't have to pick the seatpost with the perfect amount of setback. That would be a huge pain.

why on earth is everyone anti 130mm stem? Again, I would call this normal equipment.

Silvercivic27 12-31-13 10:35 AM

I'm going to give it a hot. It's a nice looking bike.

ravenmore 12-31-13 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by Herbie53 (Post 16361196)
My dial has little pictures on it. I find that flower or green box work ok for bike pics... actually this is a really good thing to know!

Thanks.

The flower is probably marcro mode which is good for taking pictures of subjects very close to the camera. Actually if you have a portrait mode (usually a picture of a face or person's head and shoulders) that would probably do the same thing as aperture priority mode. Ok - I'm turning off my inner photo geek, lol. :D

curtism 01-01-14 06:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's my entry. I just finished building it and rode it today for the second time. Fantastic ride!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377985

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377987

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377986

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377988

Silvercivic27 01-01-14 06:44 PM

Uh oh, Trek with a periscope, Duracchi pedals, SRAM Red and an smp saddle. . . Prepare your angus. . .

thirdgenbird 01-01-14 06:49 PM


Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 (Post 16374089)
Uh oh, Trek with a periscope, Duracchi pedals, SRAM Red and an smp saddle. . . Prepare your angus. . .

The funny thing about that, it is a pretty nice look it bike. That's also the opinion of someone that doesn't usually like sram or trek from an aesthetic standpoint.

bianchi10 01-01-14 07:02 PM

Not

RJM 01-01-14 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by curtism (Post 16374071)
Here's my entry. I just finished building it and rode it today for the second time. Fantastic ride!

Hot....nice bike.

slowride454 01-01-14 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by curtism (Post 16374071)
Here's my entry. I just finished building it and rode it today for the second time. Fantastic ride!

make it anything but a Trek, and be sure to get a frame that is all flat black, then put praxis rings on it and take the logos off the wheels. Cut the steerer tube, get a different saddle. Then maybe it has a chance at being hot.

thirdgenbird 01-01-14 08:31 PM


Originally Posted by slowride454 (Post 16374295)
make it anything but a Trek, and be sure to get a frame that is all flat black, then put praxis rings on it and take the logos off the wheels. Cut the steerer tube, get a different saddle. Then maybe it has a chance at being hot.

It seems like that is the only formula around here.

Ghost Ryder 01-01-14 08:52 PM


Originally Posted by slowride454 (Post 16374295)
make it anything but a Trek, and be sure to get a frame that is all flat black, then put praxis rings on it and take the logos off the wheels. Cut the steerer tube, get a different saddle. Then maybe it has a chance at being hot.

Or just cover up any decals revealing it to be a Trek.
When people ask what bike it is, just call it a Lemmond. ;)
:lol:

robbyville 01-01-14 08:52 PM

I'd give the trek a hot with the exception of the saddle which detracts

robbyville 01-01-14 08:54 PM

I also don't like the shiny bar tape, is that wrong? Otherwise though I dig it

gc3 01-01-14 09:07 PM


Originally Posted by slowride454 (Post 16374295)
make it anything but a Trek, and be sure to get a frame that is all flat black, then put praxis rings on it and take the logos off the wheels. Cut the steerer tube, get a different saddle. Then maybe it has a chance at being hot.

Right, let's do it right in 2014!

Stealth bikes are dumb. Colnago and Pinarello are fugly. Mass market commonplace is the only way to go!

WhyFi 01-01-14 09:23 PM

It's a pretty nice bike, but it's too compact for me, and I don't find that aesthetically pleasing - I guess that I like more delineation between the TT and the seat stays; probably why I'm not typically a fan of the smaller sized bikes, WSDs, and some Specialized/Giant/Trek bikes.

thirdgenbird 01-01-14 09:35 PM


Originally Posted by gc3 (Post 16374488)
Right, let's do it right in 2014!

Stealth bikes are dumb. Colnago and Pinarello are fugly. Mass market commonplace is the only way to go!

My New Year's resolution is to only consider bikes hot if they meet all of these critea:
lugs (any material)
tan sideall tires
at least one color

Exceptions will be made for bikes with two of the three:
tubulars
downtube shifters
campagnolo

automatic disqualification is given to a bike with any of the below:
splash bar tape
disc brakes
Hydraulic rim brakes (road)

bhayes505 01-01-14 10:49 PM

The Trek is Hot.

Ghost Ryder 01-01-14 11:00 PM


Originally Posted by thirdgenbird (Post 16374547)
My New Year's resolution is to only consider bikes hot if they meet all of these critea:
lugs (any material)
tan sideall tires
at least one color

Exceptions will be made for bikes with two of the three:
tubulars
downtube shifters
campagnolo

automatic disqualification is given to a bike with any of the below:
splash bar tape
disc brakes
Hydraulic rim brakes (road)

Those rules would fly in the V&C. ;)
:lol:

bgoodwin 01-01-14 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=357578

bgoodwin 01-01-14 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=357578


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=357579


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.