Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Old 10-07-15, 11:15 AM
  #21626  
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
Well...submitting for the criticism once again. Yeah...I know, the bike positioning is off, this is the only picture I have a the moment. This was taken in the spring, went to a 5800 group with some new cables and bar tape...

Fire away...

Get rid of the 2 color grip tape either red or white, but not both and red tires? Seems like you really like the color red and are really trying to add it to the bike so it just comes off as desperate.

Has potential, but its a NOT as is.
LGHT is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:29 AM
  #21627  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Get rid of the 2 color grip tape either red or white, but not both and red tires? Seems like you really like the color red and are really trying to add it to the bike so it just comes off as desperate.

Has potential, but it’s a NOT as is.
"desperate"? Nah, I don't think I'd call it that...it's a bike, I like having fun with it. The bar tape is something I can screw around with...I started out with white/black tires orgingally:


It just didn't pop much so I decided to have fun with it. I ran this tape last year:

It was "loud", I got a kick out of it.

This year was the Supakaz red/white transitioning tape...just for the heck of it. I'll probably go back to white next year.
Smokehouse is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:33 AM
  #21628  
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
"desperate"? Nah, I don't think I'd call it that...it's a bike, I like having fun with it. The bar tape is something I can screw around with...I started out with white/black tires orgingally:

Wow that was so much better. I hear you on the make it "Pop" thing that seems to be the fad now and days. Lots of kids die their hair funny colors, and buy bright colorful clothes. Some even get jobs at clowns in a circus ;0)
LGHT is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:37 AM
  #21629  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Wow that was so much better. I hear you on the make it "Pop" thing that seems to be the fad now and days. Lots of kids die their hair funny colors, and buy bright colorful clothes. Some even get jobs at clowns in a circus ;0)
LOL...I don't take myself too seriously. I'm a 38 year old guy with slight man boobs that dresses in cycling clothes that may be illegal within 50' of a public grade school...I gave up on fancy cars years ago, my bike is my only real "toy" I can mess around with.

On a side note...while the Supacaz tape is really neat stuff (the red portion is actually a completely different material than the white so the drops have more grip/less pad then the tops), I won't get the red/white again...It's not my favorite.
Smokehouse is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 12:54 PM
  #21630  
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,088
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Even a plain bike will look really nice when properly shot. Not my bike, just used for an example.

I'm not sure I'd all that a "plain" bike. Hot.

Also, regarding the specialized...the new crankset looks fantastic, the red tires not so much. I won't fault the bar tape because I'm a fan of the supacaz stuff myself (still, I might opt for the black with the red print option for next time).
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 01:12 PM
  #21631  
Duke Ulysses
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 800

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts


The wifes bike.
growlerdinky is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 01:43 PM
  #21632  
Senior Member
 
Fox Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,750

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
By photographing it correctly, it shows off how nice your bike really is. They are not rules set in stone, but I have seen people chastised in both Hot R Not threads for not following it. Some of that stuff is just normal stuff, like tires lining up with the valves.

Even a plain bike will look really nice when properly shot. Not my bike, just used for an example.

I dig this! Hot!
Fox Farm is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 07:34 PM
  #21633  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The couch or the bike?
Da bike☺
johnyguy is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:37 PM
  #21634  
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,347

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I'm not sure I'd all that a "plain" bike. Hot.

Also, regarding the specialized...the new crankset looks fantastic, the red tires not so much. I won't fault the bar tape because I'm a fan of the supacaz stuff myself (still, I might opt for the black with the red print option for next time).
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I dig this! Hot!
I think this is hotter than hell. I wish it was mine, but it is just something I found on the interwebznet.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 03:53 AM
  #21635  
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
By photographing it correctly, it shows off how nice your bike really is. They are not rules set in stone, but I have seen people chastised in both Hot R Not threads for not following it. Some of that stuff is just normal stuff, like tires lining up with the valves.

Even a plain bike will look really nice when properly shot. Not my bike, just used for an example.

I disagree.
It seems to me that the purpose of standardized, static and clinical photos like this is that they make for fair comparisons. They present the frame, wheels and components in a way that makes them as clear as possible in a single view, to facilitate scrutiny. However, these views often fail to capture a bike's overall appeal, and often make bikes look more plain than they would when experienced normally.
What we can tell from the photo above is that the bike has a finely constructed frame, expensive components, and gorgeous red paint. The set-up is classic, but frankly, aside from the paint, it's not the least bit eye-catching or charming. The photo may reveal it to be a high-quality bike, but it's far from 'hot.'
And by the way, the tires are misaligned a bit - valve aligns with 'M' in 'COMPETITION' in the rear, and is between the first 'T' and 'I' in the front - not centered in either case.
kbarch is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 04:52 AM
  #21636  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,189
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18389 Post(s)
Liked 15,457 Times in 7,302 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky


The wifes bike.
Not bad, but not hot. The bike, I mean.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 05:28 AM
  #21637  
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,435

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Eat it lightweight boys

He's from the Netherlands so that's actually a picture of his car.
Silvercivic27 is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 08:35 AM
  #21638  
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,347

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I like how the branding says Gazelle, when it is anything from light, fast and nimble. To each their own though.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 09:31 AM
  #21639  
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I like how the branding says Gazelle, when it is anything from light, fast and nimble. To each their own though.
Maybe it weighs as much and is about as easy to ride as a gazelle.
kbarch is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:25 AM
  #21640  
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,088
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To be fair, it looks like a fun little bike to ride around town.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 06:34 PM
  #21641  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try and ignore the mixed chainring bolts, eliminating the red ones soon, also useless stem spacers.

Last edited by Bunyanderman; 10-09-15 at 06:47 PM.
Bunyanderman is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 06:43 PM
  #21642  
Senior Member
 
Doug28450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 7,108

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
Try and ignore the mixed chainring bolts, eliminating the red ones soon, also useless stem spacers.
Err, give me a sec
fail
Doug28450 is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 06:48 PM
  #21643  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
fail
I was hoping no one noticed.....
Bunyanderman is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:03 PM
  #21644  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
Try and ignore the mixed chainring bolts, eliminating the red ones soon, also useless stem spacers.
Pretty close but why the mismatched cables? Also rotate the bars down
redlude97 is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:08 PM
  #21645  
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
The drops are huge.... not sure how long I could stay there.

Yes i do... zero seconds.
GlennR is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:22 PM
  #21646  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Pretty close but why the mismatched cables? Also rotate the bars down
It's relatively difficult to replace these cables, not something I can do at home. Bike shop is a 2-hour round trip drive, seems pretty stupid to make a trip for only that.
Bunyanderman is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:25 PM
  #21647  
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
It's relatively difficult to replace these cables, not something I can do at home. Bike shop is a 2-hour round trip drive, seems pretty stupid to make a trip for only that.
Agreed... wait till they need replacement.

1 hour away, time to get some tools and up your skills. It's not like if you run into problems you can't toss the bike in the car and get it fixed.
GlennR is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:30 PM
  #21648  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Agreed... wait till they need replacement.

1 hour away, time to get some tools and up your skills. It's not like if you run into problems you can't toss the bike in the car and get it fixed.
I actually do most of the work that needs to be done on my bike, ranging from easy stuff like using carbon paste and properly torquing bolts, to completely adjusting the drive train/swapping components. I have re-done cabling before, but I tried on this aero frame and it was impossible with out a huge magnet to pull the cables through (internally routed). But I have no interest in getting the tools/knowledge to build/adjust wheels, and I stay away from the Bottom bracket, especially difficult with this frame and crank-set.
Bunyanderman is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:32 PM
  #21649  
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
I actually do most of the work that needs to be done on my bike, ranging from easy stuff like using carbon paste and properly torquing bolts, to completely adjusting the drive train/swapping components. I have re-done cabling before, but I tried on this aero frame and it was impossible with out a huge magnet to pull the cables through (internally routed). But I have no interest in getting the tools/knowledge to build/adjust wheels, and I stay away from the Bottom bracket, especially difficult with this frame and crank-set.
Before removing the old cable, tape a thin string to it and when you pull the cable out the string takes it's place. Tape the new cable to the engine and put the string to drag the new cable through.

Easy peasy.
GlennR is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 07:35 PM
  #21650  
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,088
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
I actually do most of the work that needs to be done on my bike, ranging from easy stuff like using carbon paste and properly torquing bolts, to completely adjusting the drive train/swapping components. I have re-done cabling before, but I tried on this aero frame and it was impossible with out a huge magnet to pull the cables through (internally routed). But I have no interest in getting the tools/knowledge to build/adjust wheels, and I stay away from the Bottom bracket, especially difficult with this frame and crank-set.
What about tying dental floss to the end of the cable and then sucking that through with a vacuum?

Also, totally random, but I read this week that if you only use one bottle you should put it on the seat tube because it's more aero. (Of course, I still think it looks better on the down tube).

All in all, not bad.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.