Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm scared of recumbents

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm scared of recumbents

Old 09-03-08, 12:44 AM
  #126  
Goatbiker
Senior Member
 
Goatbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Fairfield, NorCal USA
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people can drown in very little water. Get a life.
Goatbiker is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 05:17 AM
  #127  
Terex
Senior Member
 
Terex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 7600' Northern New Mexico
Posts: 3,615

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nomo4me View Post
Safety?
I'm much safer on my bent than you are on your wedgie because I can't go head first over the handle bars. I pose much less of a safety hazard to traffic on my bent because I don't blow through stop lights/signs like a selfish egomaniac wedgie rider. I'm a much safer bike rider than the average wedgie because I refuse to ride two abreast on narrow windy roads like so many clueless wedgie riders are wont to do.
My Dinotte tail light and a bit of chartruese reflective material takes care of visibilty issues for the narrow canyon riding I do and I'm quite a bit more visible than wedgie riders who seem too be to self conscious to mount a light on their bike. That's a shame, how that intense human need to fit in with the majority would prohibit someone from taking the simple step of mounting a compact tail light, but ridiculing the minority seems to be much what this thread is about.

Ride what you like, do whatever it takes to fit in with your clique, and STFU.
Huh? All I can say is that my tail light is higher than your tail light.
Terex is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 05:45 AM
  #128  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomo4me View Post
Safety?
I'm much safer on my bent than you are on your wedgie because I can't go head first over the handle bars. I pose much less of a safety hazard to traffic on my bent because I don't blow through stop lights/signs like a selfish egomaniac wedgie rider. I'm a much safer bike rider than the average wedgie because I refuse to ride two abreast on narrow windy roads like so many clueless wedgie riders are wont to do.
My Dinotte tail light and a bit of chartruese reflective material takes care of visibilty issues for the narrow canyon riding I do and I'm quite a bit more visible than wedgie riders who seem too be to self conscious to mount a light on their bike. That's a shame, how that intense human need to fit in with the majority would prohibit someone from taking the simple step of mounting a compact tail light, but ridiculing the minority seems to be much what this thread is about.

Ride what you like, do whatever it takes to fit in with your clique, and STFU.
Talk about a post full of FAIL!
Thanks for wrecking what was a light-hearted thread and proving the validity of my chain theory!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 07:03 AM
  #129  
atom bomb
low and laid back
 
atom bomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 134

Bikes: recumbent trikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
But, when I've seen them on the road while driving, they are so low as to be virtually invisible.
When you've seen them, they are invisible, and yet if they are invisible how could you have seen them..... and if you have seen them then they are not invisible .... and ..... they are invisible, therefore you have not seen them ... but you HAVE seen them ...... error! ERROR! This does not compute.....!
atom bomb is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 07:14 AM
  #130  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atom bomb View Post
When you've seen them, they are invisible, and yet if they are invisible how could you have seen them..... and if you have seen them then they are not invisible .... and ..... they are invisible, therefore you have not seen them ... but you HAVE seen them ...... error! ERROR! This does not compute.....!
They are invisible when viewed through a car's windshield...after they are run over, they become visible in a rear view mirror.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 07:29 AM
  #131  
bobkat
bobkat
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 746

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just accidently found this thread. There is a lot of tongue in cheek joking between the upright and the bent drivers, as there should be! The white beards, hammocks, flailing arms and legs and the upwrongs requiring diapers and boxing gloves and on and on!
But what is disappointing is the undercurrent of hatred from some of the upright posters. As far as good versus bad riders, there are plenty in both the bent ranks and upright riders. Neither group has a monopoly! It's not the bike, its the rider! As far as pros and cons of safety, speed and comfort, there are plenty of them on both sides too. Really not much between them.
Way up here in the sticks of ND there is pretty well nothing but friendliness and camaraderie between bents and upright riders, lots of joking between our groups and lots of mutual respect, with everyone riding together and having a great time.
Other than the hard core 30 - 45 year old racing group, the Lance Wannabees, I've never heard anything negative from the DF roadie riders! Racers are anothing breed of cat, though! The racers seem to live in horror that to allow any post stroke and post back surgery weak legged 65 + year olds on 35 pound recumbents in a community race billed as "participation' might risk them being beaten (Yes, I couldn't believe their paranoia, either!!) or perhaps make all of them look like Freddies! I still get a sore neck shaking my head thinking of that fiasco, but tht's another story!!! So we bents up here avoid that stuck up arrogant bunch like the plague! Sorry about the name calling but sometimes you have to call a spade a friggin' shovel!
Otherwise bent bikes are just a collection of several good though all differebnt styles of bikes with a few disadvantages of uprights, and also many advantages.
Other than the tongue in cheek kidding, I get the impression that a lot of 'bent knocking posts' on this thread were made by people who had either never ridden any bent or ridden one only rarely or one time or for a short distance, with most posts parrotting a lot of internet myths that seem to be passed along on cycling websites like herpes in a cat house! It's a shame in a way, because silly untruths about bents probably keeps a lot of bike riders from continuing their passion when a recumbent would be a perfect bike for them, but don't consider one because of the nonsense they have heard! instead they either keep trying on their uncomfortable and sometimes medical unwise (for them) uprights or quit riding altogether!
There's plenty of room for all of us out there. As far as bike/traffic conflicts, hang together or hang alone!
bobkat is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 08:18 AM
  #132  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,613

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I bet I know what this guy rides.....

__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels


Last edited by Psimet2001; 09-03-08 at 08:31 AM.
Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 08:23 AM
  #133  
neilcooper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you're in an official UCI sanctioned race, why be constrained by their outdated rules?

Protect your perineum, your butt & your back.

Go faster in more comfort.



At 30 km/h, roughly 90 per cent of a rider's energy is used to overcome wind resistance and it gets worse quickly the faster you go. A small frontal profile is king if you want to go faster for longer.



And because of their relatively forward biased weight distribution, don't you love that charming propensity for propelling you over the handlebars that uprights have.


Last edited by neilcooper; 09-03-08 at 08:56 AM.
neilcooper is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 08:40 AM
  #134  
cat0020
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 893

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I used to be scared of recumbents also, the ones with long wheel base seem like giant whales on the road, I always thought they would run wide in a corner and wipe out...

Until I tried a short wheel base recumbent one day for 4-5 miles, they are actually more comfortable, more efficient, better at carrying items than my 16 lb. road bike for long distance riding.. when I ride a recumbent my heartrate is lower, easier to maintain higher speed on flat terrains than my road bike...

I'm 33 yo, 5'10", 140 lb., I have ridden at least 2000 miles each year since 1990.
cat0020 is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 08:58 AM
  #135  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
I bet I know what this guy rides.....

Mrs. Claus?
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 09:00 AM
  #136  
bentriderK
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
I keep hearing about how fast they are but I never see them going over about 12 MPH. Why is that?
because you are not going to the time trials where all the world records are being set, and you are not checking online to see who holds the records. That is like having your head buried in the sand all the way to your ankles!

you are on the internet, you can find wikipedia. Read the article on recumbent bicycles. Read how a frenchman in the early 1900's designed the first recumbent bike, got an average pro rider to enter it in all the races that year.

read how the other riders and sponsors laughed at the bike, and mocked the designer and cyclist. Read how they won every race they entered that year, and broke every cycling record.

Read how the people with power (money) screamed bloody murder, and retroactively changed the rules so the bike would be disqualified, and retroactively took away all their titles and records.

Why was this done? Because the companies that made bicycles made a lot of money by having the fastest 'bicycle' in the world. Because they knew they might be sued if they tried to copy the new fastest bicycle. It was all about money. They crippled cycle developement for the last 80 years, and recumbents are STILL not allowed in the tour de france.

So the question to you is, why are you still riding a bike that is a throwback to the 19th century, when so much progress has been made in the last 80 years? The difference in the best speeds for upright 'official' diamond framed bikes, and recumbent bikes is around 25 or 30mph.

Sam (last years record holder) could ride a century in under two hours. On a DF you are not even IN the game. Those bicycle companys that corrupted the racing by disqualifying the fastests bikes, did they give any of the money they made to YOU? Or are they taking your money every year and giving out free posters of Armstrong, and pretending thats all there is to the story?

Class racing is great, where everyone gets the same bicycle, or sailboat, or race car, and its all about the athlete or driver. But there IS an open class, and it blew away upright bicycles before anyone reading this was born.

If you want to be in the same league as the fastest cyclists, you have to ride the right machine. Its not an upright DF. They are called bragging-rights for a reason. If you are on a diamond frame bike, you have none.

Last edited by bentriderK; 09-03-08 at 09:10 AM.
bentriderK is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 09:05 AM
  #137  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentriderK View Post
So the question to you is, why are you still riding a bike that is a throwback to the 19th century, when so much progress has been made in the last 80 years? The difference in the best speeds for upright 'official' diamond framed bikes, and recumbent bikes is around 25 or 30mph.
1. Because riding a bike isn't about speed or keeping up with the techno-weenies?

2. The bike itself may be faster, yet a great many who ride them can't seem to take advantage of that speed potential.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 09:25 AM
  #138  
neilcooper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
1. Because riding a bike isn't about speed or keeping up with the techno-weenies?
ORLY?
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
For what it's worth, my commute route is 25 miles one-way with about 1.2k of net elevation gain. On my 21lb road bike my average speed is roughly just over 1mph faster than on my 28lb+ touring bike. So you probably 'can' keep up on group rides...but not with the faster groups.
So in another thread you were able to make the point that you were "just over" 1 mph faster on one bike than another. For someone with no interest in speed you sure do measure it accurately.

Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
2. The bike itself may be faster, yet a great many who ride them can't seem to take advantage of that speed potential.
So, on the one hand in your first point (you say) you think "riding a bike isn't about speed" and yet your second point is that recumbent riders that ride near you aren't fast?

Last edited by neilcooper; 09-03-08 at 09:30 AM.
neilcooper is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 09:37 AM
  #139  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,613

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I'd like to see recumbulators in a tight crit. That could make for some good Youtube action.


....nah...it'd just look like a bunch of "try-athletes" taking a corner.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 09:43 AM
  #140  
neilcooper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIpvM_j-i0o

Bacchetta highracer riders practice drafting each other before the Calvin's 12 hour race where they set new records. 267 miles in 12 hours. It was their first ride together as a group. They synchronized much more during the race.

Last edited by neilcooper; 09-03-08 at 09:54 AM.
neilcooper is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 10:18 AM
  #141  
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!
 
Cyclaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,265

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I really like my highracer. On it I can ride an hour time trial at the same pace as the TDF TT stage..... I wish I could do that on my DF.
__________________
May the m(dv/dt) be with you.
Cyclaholic is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 10:46 AM
  #142  
CHAS
Senior Member
 
CHAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
Posts: 636

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White beards, big bellys, but no saddle up the arse



White beards, bug bellies, but no saddle up the arse

Last edited by CHAS; 09-03-08 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Left wording out
CHAS is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 10:52 AM
  #143  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilcooper View Post
ORLY?

So in another thread you were able to make the point that you were "just over" 1 mph faster on one bike than another. For someone with no interest in speed you sure do measure it accurately.



So, on the one hand in your first point (you say) you think "riding a bike isn't about speed" and yet your second point is that recumbent riders that ride near you aren't fast?
Did I say that I had no interest in speed? No, I said "Because riding a bike isn't about speed or keeping up with the techno-weenies?". Really, if you want to come to our lighthearted thread and debate seriously, cool, but at least try a little honesty, m'kay, pilgrim?

And yes, I pass many more bent riders than pass me...and I ain't that fast - do you have a problem with that? Gonna challenge me to a race or a pecker size contest? Come on, throw down that beard...err...gauntlet!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 09-03-08 at 10:56 AM.
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 11:29 AM
  #144  
neilcooper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
Did I say that I had no interest in speed? No, I said "Because riding a bike isn't about speed or keeping up with the techno-weenies?". Really, if you want to come to our lighthearted thread and debate seriously, cool, but at least try a little honesty, m'kay, pilgrim?

And yes, I pass many more bent riders than pass me...and I ain't that fast - do you have a problem with that? Gonna challenge me to a race or a pecker size contest? Come on, throw down that beard...err...gauntlet!
I quoted you verbatim.

And yes, if you lived a little closer I'd give you a race anytime and proceed to own & bone you princess.
neilcooper is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 11:42 AM
  #145  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilcooper View Post
I quoted you verbatim.

And yes, if you lived a little closer I'd give you a race anytime and proceed to own & bone you princess.
I'll be sure to let all the local bent riders who can't know that they have a hero out there on teh intrawebs, somewhere.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 11:47 AM
  #146  
neilcooper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
I'll be sure to let all the local bent riders who can't know that they have a hero out there on teh intrawebs, somewhere.
neilcooper is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 11:55 AM
  #147  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,613

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
I'll be sure to let all the local bent riders who can't know that they have a hero out there on teh intrawebs, somewhere.
Might I suggest using an AARP newsletter to spread the word?
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 12:00 PM
  #148  
Goatbiker
Senior Member
 
Goatbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Fairfield, NorCal USA
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with BOBKAT. Fun is fun, but the hatred has to go.

When I got heavy (AND older), I parked my road bike and bought a recumbent. That was 12,000 miles ago. All 'bent riders come from the diamond frame crowd, for one reason or another. Would a REAL cyclist prefer a person stop riding when a diamond frame was no longer right for them, or are we advocates for all kinds of cycling?

Racing is not everything. However, the recumbent (ridden by an amateur cyclist/business owner) kicked some serious roadie butt in the 2008 Race Across America. And have any of you ridden 81 MPH on a level, closed highway? I know the answer. But a fully faired recumbent has, at the 2002 Human Powered Speed Challange at Battle Mountain, NV.

Most recumbents are much heavier than diamond frames, but there are sub-seventeen pound carbon 'bents. They are fast and they climb almost as well as the diamond frames. With the right engine on board, they are stupid fast on the flats.

My final question: At what age do we get over this stupid, ego stroking 'mine is better than your's' thing?

Tom (still riding after all these beers)

Battle Mountain link: http://wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/wh...lenge-2008.htm
Goatbiker is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 12:01 PM
  #149  
Talewinds
Senior Member
 
Talewinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,154

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, six pages of this stuff....
... and I didn't think I could like recumbents any less than I did before. I've reached a whole new and previously unfathomable level of disdain, thanks.
Talewinds is offline  
Old 09-03-08, 12:02 PM
  #150  
El Pelon
dia por dia
 
El Pelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 300

Bikes: hand built fixie, Lightspeed Sienna D/A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce View Post
they're dangerous, i had a guy on one with a full fairing silently latch on to my wheel a while back. never knew he was there till he overlapped me and almost took me out. i stayed upright and managed to turn around to see him sliding across the road in his bondo rig. he put a huge gouge in my still fairly new rear campy zonda. i was ready to kill the old fart, but he looked so pathetic laying there in his little aerodynamic coffin, i just rode away.
i hate em. period.
This is one of the funniest replies I have read in years.
El Pelon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.