Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Cult (and other observations)....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy Cult (and other observations)....

Old 08-24-08, 07:31 PM
  #1  
cpa4u
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Central, Texas
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy Cult (and other observations)....

This ought to be a lively thread.

I have been watching the posts on this forum for the past month and listening to my locals talk and it seems nothing brings as much animation as the Campy/Shimano/SRAM debate.

And for the record, i have ridden all three component groupos and think they are all great in their own ways. I have one DA and one Campy Centaur bike and have likes and dislikes on each, but neither makes me a better rider than the other. I think some guy named Lance Armstong one time said something like "It's not about the Bike".....he MAY have even written a book to that affect........

It seems to me that there is FAR MORE bashing of Shimano from Campy and SRAM users than there is from Shimano against the others. Why is that? Why do the followers of these manufacturers find it so necessary to bash the other companies rather than just let the components speak for themselves? When i took my first job with a major international accounting firm, the first thing we were taught was that there was no quicker way to be fired than by running down your competition - we were to let our work do the talking, and we did.

I got to reading old magazines and came accross a 2004 article entitled "The Cult". It was written with a positive spin on Campy and essentially repeated what i say in the third paragraph above, but they list the 6 factors associated with cults.

a. Leaders are perceived as being chosen by God, history or some supernatural force (i.e., Tullio Campagnolo).

b. Disciples invest thier leaders with unshakable authority and refure to question or doubt sacred doctrine or ideology.

c. The group presents its vision to neophytes as inviting and challenging.

d. Disciples become pshychologically dependent on the group for existence.

e. Purity demands that an Us vs. Them mentality is developed (hmmmmmm).

f. Dispensing of existence: There is only the group; outsiders are evil.

Im not making any value judgements here. Just posting what i read. I find it interesting. Like i say, i love Campy and would recommend it to anyone - the same as I would DA or SRAM Red - ..... but i wouldnt make them drink grape koolaid before doing so.

Anyhoo, just sitting here bored between the olympics and college football and thought i would get a lively conversation going..........you know you HAVE to say SOMEthing........

Later.
cpa4u is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:35 PM
  #2  
sers
Senior Member
 
sers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 2,188

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about Campy's new CULT (Ceramic Ultimate Level Technology) bearings. Color me disappointed.
sers is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:37 PM
  #3  
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Posts: 4,930

Bikes: Light.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano is about profit, Campagnolo is about prophet.

Never truer words written.

I believe in Campagnolo.
__________________
Ten tenths.

Last edited by BananaTugger; 08-24-08 at 07:41 PM.
BananaTugger is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:38 PM
  #4  
enjoi07
Senior Member
 
enjoi07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,981

Bikes: custom caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sram
enjoi07 is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:39 PM
  #5  
EGreen
Senior Member
 
EGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY. Made in France
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u View Post
..........you know you HAVE to say SOMEthing.
EGreen is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:41 PM
  #6  
azdroptop
Senior Member
 
azdroptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 548

Bikes: 03 Lemond, 08 S-works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the followers of big O for president.


Originally Posted by cpa4u View Post
This ought to be a lively thread.

I have been watching the posts on this forum for the past month and listening to my locals talk and it seems nothing brings as much animation as the Campy/Shimano/SRAM debate.

And for the record, i have ridden all three component groupos and think they are all great in their own ways. I have one DA and one Campy Centaur bike and have likes and dislikes on each, but neither makes me a better rider than the other. I think some guy named Lance Armstong one time said something like "It's not about the Bike".....he MAY have even written a book to that affect........

It seems to me that there is FAR MORE bashing of Shimano from Campy and SRAM users than there is from Shimano against the others. Why is that? Why do the followers of these manufacturers find it so necessary to bash the other companies rather than just let the components speak for themselves? When i took my first job with a major international accounting firm, the first thing we were taught was that there was no quicker way to be fired than by running down your competition - we were to let our work do the talking, and we did.

I got to reading old magazines and came accross a 2004 article entitled "The Cult". It was written with a positive spin on Campy and essentially repeated what i say in the third paragraph above, but they list the 6 factors associated with cults.

a. Leaders are perceived as being chosen by God, history or some supernatural force (i.e., Tullio Campagnolo).

b. Disciples invest thier leaders with unshakable authority and refure to question or doubt sacred doctrine or ideology.

c. The group presents its vision to neophytes as inviting and challenging.

d. Disciples become pshychologically dependent on the group for existence.

e. Purity demands that an Us vs. Them mentality is developed (hmmmmmm).

f. Dispensing of existence: There is only the group; outsiders are evil.

Im not making any value judgements here. Just posting what i read. I find it interesting. Like i say, i love Campy and would recommend it to anyone - the same as I would DA or SRAM Red - ..... but i wouldnt make them drink grape koolaid before doing so.

Anyhoo, just sitting here bored between the olympics and college football and thought i would get a lively conversation going..........you know you HAVE to say SOMEthing........

Later.
azdroptop is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:43 PM
  #7  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,570

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u View Post
And for the record, i have ridden all three component groupos and think they are all great in their own ways. I have one DA and one Campy Centaur bike and have likes and dislikes on each, but neither makes me a better rider than the other. I think some guy named Lance Armstong one time said something like "It's not about the Bike".....he MAY have even written a book to that affect........
I see this all the time on this forum. Either spell it in English, "groupset", or spell it correctly in Italian, which would be "gruppo". Stop mixing them together please. Trying to be cool by using Italian is kind of offset by misspelling it.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:46 PM
  #8  
cpa4u
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Central, Texas
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either spell it in English, "groupset", or spell it correctly in Italian, which would be "gruppo". Stop mixing them together please. Trying to be cool by using Italian is kind of offset by misspelling it.
Thank you SO MUCH for your words of wisdom, and i DID think i was being cool.............I just LOVE the internet (said chuckling........ ps. that's american..........)

cpa4u is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:56 PM
  #9  
dake13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u View Post
This ought to be a lively thread.
Not.
dake13 is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 07:59 PM
  #10  
colnajoe
Senior Member
 
colnajoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Charles, IL
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2008 Colnago C 50, Felt F1X cyclocross, '80's Ross signature

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

Originally Posted by BananaTugger View Post
Shimano is about profit, Campagnolo is about prophet.

Never truer words written.

I believe in Campagnolo.
colnajoe is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:02 PM
  #11  
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1
ultraman6970 is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:06 PM
  #12  
cpa4u
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Central, Texas
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano is about profit, Campagnolo is about prophet.
“Shimano makes bike equipment that works beautifully. Campagnolo makes beautiful bike equipment that works. I’m not looking for equipment that strives to be beautiful – I want equipment that works.”

Rouleur Issue #1
cpa4u is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:12 PM
  #13  
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Posts: 4,930

Bikes: Light.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u View Post
“Shimano makes bike equipment that works beautifully. Campagnolo makes beautiful bike equipment that works. I’m not looking for equipment that strives to be beautiful – I want equipment that works.”

Rouleur Issue #1
Someone wants something that works the way they want it to. Some want Shimano. Some want Campagnolo.

Some don't know what they want. Those people get SRAM.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:13 PM
  #14  
slide13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 458

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me Shimano just gets it wrong all the time. The ergos suck for me personally, I hate the fact that the brake lever moves to shift, I despise the externally routed cable (which they finally have gotten rid on new DA), and while it is very smooth it is also sort of vague and cheap feeling IMO. I was really disappointed in the feel of the new DA...I was hoping for something solid and crisp and instead it felt like Tiagra (which for the money isn't bad, but when we're talking DA money I expect better).

I love Campy, I love the history and everything about them, but I especially love the ergos and the performance. I'm also a fan of Sram. I think they really hit the nail on the head in terms of ergos and features. I'll stick with Campy for now, but a Sram bike could certainly be in my future. They do it right. They also have great service which is a nice plus.
slide13 is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:15 PM
  #15  
FlashUNC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 583

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two words: Pinky shift.

When I'm on the tops on a climb, nothing is quite as handy as that pinky downshift to the smaller cogs.
Campy has it. Shimano/SRAM don't.
FlashUNC is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:21 PM
  #16  
MadeInItaly
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Point Lookout, NY
Posts: 1,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't understad why people get so fired up about this topic. Let me start yet another thread about it.

Yeah, you must be bored.
MadeInItaly is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 08:56 PM
  #17  
Indolent58
Queen of France
 
Indolent58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have bored Bongo.
Indolent58 is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:07 PM
  #18  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Two words: Pinky shift.

When I'm on the tops on a climb, nothing is quite as handy as that pinky downshift to the smaller cogs.
Campy has it. Shimano/SRAM don't.
Lol - I pointed that out to a teammate the other day.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:08 PM
  #19  
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live
 
Carbon Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 4,896

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the shifters on Campy better, and Campy can be rebuilt.

I have two friends that have Campy on one bike and Shimano on another. Both of these guys tell me that they like the Campy stuff better. One of them told me that Campy is quieter and shifters better. He did say that he was comparing 2007 Record to older 9 speed Dura Ace if that makes any difference.

I have nothing against Shimano and if I bought a bike that came with it, I would use it. But, if I am building a bike from the ground up, I would put Campy on it.
Carbon Unit is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:09 PM
  #20  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post
I can't understad why people get so fired up about this topic. Let me start yet another thread about it.

Yeah, you must be bored.
We're all bored. Hence the reason you, too, contributed to this thread.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:11 PM
  #21  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Geeze people. Campys not better. Shimanos not better. Srams not better. They all work well and are just different. I've spent thousands of miles on each groupset. It all works.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:13 PM
  #22  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,233

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 224 Posts
Both Campagnolo and Shimano work OK. But I prefer Campagnolo because:
Brake levers don't move to shift
Shift cables not exposed
Ergos more comfortable than STI
Reynolds is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 09:41 PM
  #23  
erliuic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 566

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite, BMC SLC01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like Shimano brake pads. I use KoolStop. What now?!




Oh wait...we were talking about gruppos.
erliuic is offline  
Old 08-24-08, 10:00 PM
  #24  
Booger
Senior Member
 
Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,021

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Geeze people. Campys not better. Shimanos not better. Srams not better. They all work well and are just different. I've spent thousands of miles on each groupset. It all works.

I would take the opposite stance. They all piss me off for one reason or another. Wake me up when a groupset actually lives up to its own hype.
Booger is offline  
Old 08-25-08, 08:03 AM
  #25  
kblacy
Senior Member
 
kblacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been any faster on campy than with shimano. I'll get excited when that happens.

kblacy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.