Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bad commutes

Old 10-20-08, 10:42 PM
  #1  
furiousferret 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,905
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Bad commutes

So I was planning on commuting to work, and despite several people telling it was too dangerous I rode into work today. I figured it was a good way to get in some miles and save money. However my first day on the bike I rode almost over the exact spot where 2 people were shot and killed the night before, which I found out later that day.

http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/sbhomicidewatch/

I think it puts the neighborhood around 10 and the city around 30. For the record, I live in a nice area, however have to drive / ride 6 miles through a bad neighborhood to get to work.

The city I work in has their own message board for homicides, how hardcore is that?

http://www.goodbadcorrupt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

I think I'm done commuting, at least right now when I have to ride in the dark. Since I work at a police station, there is the realistic assumption that I may be followed when leaving work on a bike as well. Or should I just keep commuting and HTFU?
furiousferret is offline  
Old 10-20-08, 10:47 PM
  #2  
CbadRider
Senior Member
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Posts: 5,935

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU doesn't apply if you have to fear for your life on your commute. I only ride to work during the spring and summer when it's light enough in the morning. I have to take major roadways and it's just too dangerous in the dark, even with lights and reflectors on my bike. I don't have to worry about being shot at though.
__________________
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 10-20-08, 11:47 PM
  #3  
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Posts: 3,821

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I understand the desire to bike commute, I'm not sure if it & HingTFU are really good enough reasons to have to deal with potentially being murdered.

Funny: as soon as I read the 1st half of the OP (without clicking on the link), my gut instinct told me, "he has to be talking about San Bernadino.".
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline  
Old 10-20-08, 11:56 PM
  #4  
Motman320
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember some one saying when they got a flat some one in a mini van picked them up. Then they said, I'm lucky that I didn't end up at the bottom of the Hudson.

Why does everyone assume that 1 out of 10 people are serial killers?

Don't you guys realize that murder was for a reason, most likely drugs or gang related violence. No one's going to kill some random police officer commuting to work on a bicycle.

Also, that forum was week sauce. There was like 11 cases posted, and 3 other random threads. No biggy. I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with your instinct.
Motman320 is offline  
Old 10-20-08, 11:59 PM
  #5  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I think you should take into account all factors that you can. One road on my commute has had at least 1 homicide and 1 cyclist killed, but I have evaluated details and decided that I'm no more at risk than I am elsewhere. My job does not have much chance of being followed (My angry "clients" are ages 11-14) and my work hours seem to keep me out of the dangerous traffic hours. You gotta just choose for yourself, and HTFU is for pain, not death.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 12:03 AM
  #6  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motman320 View Post
Don't you guys realize that murder was for a reason, most likely drugs or gang related violence. No one's going to kill some random police officer commuting to work on a bicycle.
While I agree that chances are people in a minivan are not out to kidnap and kill random cyclists, this comment inspired my response. I know of a high school teacher who was killed by his student (turned out to be a gang member fwiw) for yelling at him. For that reason, I think it's plausible that the OP might have a disgruntled crook seek vengeance on him. Random, no, but intentional is possible, at least in the area we live in.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 12:09 AM
  #7  
weavers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you work at a police station? ok heres what you do, tomorrow morning you call 911, the operator will ask what the emergency is, you say "yeah i work at precident ____ and got a flat, can i get a lift cause sargent ____ is gonna have my ass" they will send car right over.
weavers is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 02:37 AM
  #8  
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: people's republic of eugene oregon
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahhh the inland empire, i've been through there, colton, san bernardino, riverside, it was just a ****hole. i only ran during the day, and not from the cops, lol. i would only commute there during the day, but that's just me.
PeddlingPilgrim is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 03:16 AM
  #9  
Lizzylou
Dropped myself
 
Lizzylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no problem commuting after dark... but I take lightly traveled roads through a state park and my biggest fear is squirrels. I WOULD NOT ride through a neighborhood after dark where the citizens are less than upstanding. I don't care if they have a reason to kill me or not. I don't want to be there, period.
Lizzylou is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 08:36 AM
  #10  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. Around here the parks are a common place to find dumped bodies. Once again that's dumped bodies killed elsewhere for an apparent reason.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 08:48 AM
  #11  
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Posts: 8,799

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several threads of decent commentary on the topic in the commuter forum. Personally, I used to run the gauntlet on the way home. Most of the crack dealers with expired bus transfers in hand couldn't have cared less. We exchanged pleasantries and went on about things.
__________________
Mike
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 08:51 AM
  #12  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motman320 View Post
I remember some one saying when they got a flat some one in a mini van picked them up. Then they said, I'm lucky that I didn't end up at the bottom of the Hudson.

Why does everyone assume that 1 out of 10 people are serial killers?

Don't you guys realize that murder was for a reason, most likely drugs or gang related violence. No one's going to kill some random police officer commuting to work on a bicycle.

Also, that forum was week sauce. There was like 11 cases posted, and 3 other random threads. No biggy. I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with your instinct.
0/10. Very weak troll-fu. you fail.

__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 08:59 AM
  #13  
Flash
Are you with me
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
While I agree that chances are people in a minivan are not out to kidnap and kill random cyclists,
I thought everyone knew that strangers in vans offer rides to random cyclists because they need more meat for their prize-winning chili.

_____________________________________________

"ahhhh, it's just one a' them hard shell peppercorns"

"I love this town, this town loves PRIME meat!"

"Incoming mail!"

"Dog will hunt"

etc.
Flash is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 09:02 AM
  #14  
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo
 
Psydotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far is your commute?

I have a friend who rides from Colton to downtown San Bernardino afew times a week. It's about 4-5 miles for him. However, he is a pretty big guy that people probably won't want to mess with...

I ride through East LA when i bike commute...
__________________

Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Psydotek is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 09:34 AM
  #15  
furiousferret 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,905
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
How far is your commute?

I have a friend who rides from Colton to downtown San Bernardino afew times a week. It's about 4-5 miles for him. However, he is a pretty big guy that people probably won't want to mess with...

I ride through East LA when i bike commute...
5.1 miles, I've run it a few time, and cycled a few. Its really not that bad a commute despite the area.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 03:20 PM
  #16  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If the area is that bad, frankly, I just wouldn't bike commute through it. Like it's not bad enough people are getting shot, what if you got a flat and had to change the tube on your commute?

I know you run some of the same risk in your car...I'm just saying, I wouldn't do it.
PaulRivers is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 03:30 PM
  #17  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,378
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
i ride through what many locals call a "bad" area, and indeed it has it's far share of crime..

but then again, like others have said, said crime is rarely doled out randomly, i really woulnd't worry too much.

just don't act scared, and you'll be ok.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 09:33 PM
  #18  
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo
 
Psydotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeap. Ride hard, ride fast, and hope you don't flat...

Wait, what?!?

__________________

Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Psydotek is offline  
Old 10-21-08, 09:36 PM
  #19  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,681

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I might find a different, longer route.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 06:13 AM
  #20  
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Posts: 8,799

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You run very tough tires and pay attention. If you have to walk a block to change the tire, so be it. At them end of the day, if you act like a scared dude from the burbs, folks will pick up on it and respond.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
If the area is that bad, frankly, I just wouldn't bike commute through it. Like it's not bad enough people are getting shot, what if you got a flat and had to change the tube on your commute?

I know you run some of the same risk in your car...I'm just saying, I wouldn't do it.
__________________
Mike
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 09:24 AM
  #21  
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drop the hammer through the shady parts... outrun danger
NeezyDeezy is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 09:35 AM
  #22  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,524
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
i've lived in some pretty rough neighborhoods in rough cities, and you know what? these days, there's very little random crime. most street crime takes place among people who know each other. plus, being on a bike makes you not a great target for random crap.

i've had more problems with random violence from well-to-do ******bags in midtown than i ever did from anybody in the south bronx.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 09:42 AM
  #23  
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
So I was planning on commuting to work, and despite several people telling it was too dangerous I rode into work today. I figured it was a good way to get in some miles and save money. However my first day on the bike I rode almost over the exact spot where 2 people were shot and killed the night before, which I found out later that day.

http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/sbhomicidewatch/

I think it puts the neighborhood around 10 and the city around 30. For the record, I live in a nice area, however have to drive / ride 6 miles through a bad neighborhood to get to work.

The city I work in has their own message board for homicides, how hardcore is that?

http://www.goodbadcorrupt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

I think I'm done commuting, at least right now when I have to ride in the dark. Since I work at a police station, there is the realistic assumption that I may be followed when leaving work on a bike as well. Or should I just keep commuting and HTFU?
I wouldn't even contemplate it, and I commute to my job often (3x a week).

While my area has cleaned up a lot since I remember it 11 years ago, I wouldn't even dare try riding through some of the sketchier areas like Bedford-Stuyvesant, Flatbush, East New York, etc. It's very risky, especially if your equipment is nice.

If you feel that it's dangerous to commute, then don't risk it.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 09:44 AM
  #24  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,902

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4175 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in a neighborhood which was arguably the epicenter of the crack cocaine trade in NYC, shootouts were quite common and crime in general was really high. The chances of you getting caught in the crossfire were always present, especially at night. I had to figure out which were the "safest" routes and took my chances and rode incident free. Even when I had mechanical problems and had to pull over no one gave me any problems, but I always made sure to get things sorted as quickly as possible in case the large group of teens/dealers standing on the corners decided to give me some. It didn't stop me from riding though since in most cases I was riding at a good clip where no one could really do anything.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 10-22-08, 09:44 AM
  #25  
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motman320 View Post
I remember some one saying when they got a flat some one in a mini van picked them up. Then they said, I'm lucky that I didn't end up at the bottom of the Hudson.

Why does everyone assume that 1 out of 10 people are serial killers?

Don't you guys realize that murder was for a reason, most likely drugs or gang related violence. No one's going to kill some random police officer commuting to work on a bicycle.

Also, that forum was week sauce. There was like 11 cases posted, and 3 other random threads. No biggy. I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with your instinct.
Irrelevant. The fact that homicide is a prevailing issue in that city already indicates that his risks to danger are significantly higher than riding through, say, any clean suburban area.

There are some things you don't want to learn the hard way...
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.